Annual Poppies #2

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

IDK about transplanting of the peony poppies, I'll let the experts answer that one. I did do some transplants last year from winter sowing, but they didn't do well.

BTW, did you notice the other poppy plant in my first post, can anyone tell me what type it is based on the leaves? I planted a flat of it from a local grower, they had single blooms and they were labeled Champagne mix. They've survived all winter here, even when we were below freezing for several days. It also appears that some of the plants have seed heads. I'll post a pic of this later.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Poppies have roots like carrots--so you have to dig alllll the way down to get the bottom of the root. You can move them--but they pout.
I WS poppies in milk jugs every year. They germinate and grow well. My biggest problem is getting them into the ground in between spring rains (mud) and then, getting them watered often enough after the spring rains quit--heat and humidity.

Louisville, KY

the trhee pics attached are from this morning.

Thumbnail by timeinabottle Thumbnail by timeinabottle Thumbnail by timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

I started these in the basement under lights then moved them into flats (pic 3) Then finally out into the garden (pics 1 and 2) . The plants were harden off by putting them out under a tree each day extending the time they were out there until put out in the garden. They have survived 26 degree tem since being planted out. I think y ou could start the whole processe now and still have success.
John

Louisville, KY

Cem those are Iceland poppies in your pot. They are a bienniel.

John

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I didn't know they were biennial. Glad I collected lots of seed last year. although they seem to reseed pretty easily by themselves. I particularly wanted the yellow ones. Have WS them

Louisville, KY

I wish I could grow them here . I have minimal succcess with them.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

John, thanks for clarifying that they are Iceland poppies. Ok poppy experts, what are these alien thingies???? They appear to be growing rapidly now since we've had some warmth. Are they buds, or seed pods? Some of these plants were blooming when I planted them this fall.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Louisville, KY

Cem I think they are all the same things that is iceland poppy. I look forward tro seeing the blooms. Be sure to post them.

John

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Are those blooms or seed heads? I've never grown these before, so IDK what I'm seeing in those last pictures I posted :-) Annette

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

That IP sure is pretty!

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Annette---those are buds, and they will bloom for you in a day or two. Icelandic poppies tend to bloom for a very, very long time, so it makes sense that these same plants were just blooming for you in the fall--and that they are now going to bloom again for you. I agree---the foliage and the fact that they are behaving as a biennial or even perennial makes me agree that they are Icelandic poppies. Papaver nudicaule. Here is a pic of some of my IPs from last summer. I'm looking forward to a repeat performance from them.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

kosk0025, thanks for the clarification that they are buds. I'll post some pictures when they bloom, I'm excited to see which colors are going to open. Thanks also for sharing the picture of your blooms.

Louisville, KY

Well I'm envious of you both. Keep us posted Cem. If they do well for you this spring, I may sow some in the basement this august and plant out in Late september after it cools down

John

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I definitely will John. We'll see how the buds do over the next few days, we're getting down to freezing again tonight.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is my second sowing of annual poppies.Methos 2.

Thumbnail by ge1836

Do you think poppies would grow in Alabama? Annuals or perennials?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I really dont know. Maybe an Alabaman will ansewr

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

ge1836
I haven't kept up to who posted what but did you just plant your poppy seeds, cover with mulch fabric and that's it?

I have not put my poppy seeds in the refrig or outside. They have been in my seed box since I collected them last year and need to make a fast move on whatever I'm going to do -

any help out there?
Kathy

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I recieved seeds a few weeks ago.I put them in the fridge. I did the milk bottle thing about 10 days ago and then my second method a few days ago.I scrapped the ground of compost ,scratched the surface ,sprinkled seeds and covered with the screen held down by rocks.
Its still cold here I only use a few seeds from the paks I was sent.
I will sow the rest in April,meanwhile they are in the fridge.

Saint Paul, MN

ge1836: How long do you keep yours in the fridge before sowing?

I've got some annuals (and OP). I'm planning to WS about half of each variety & start all the others in flats under lights in the basement (back-up option). Hopefully it's not too late for WS in MN, we've had a crazy mild winter this year. Today is supposed to be about 60 and we're going to have temps in the 50s all week.

Jane

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have never sowed this way. The seeds need a "long cool" period. I usually sow in December.I have no idea how long a cold period they need.
I just figure between the fridg and in the cold outside until mid April it will be 4 or 6 weeks.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I had my seeds in the freezer for about 2 months, and then sowed some in pots and on the ground, they have all germinated except M. Lingholm so far. I want to sow a few more this weekend. I've never used the freezer method before, but the seeds seem to be fine.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm going to check the poppies in the bottles today.I really dont expect to see much but just want to peek. Many days this week.temps in the hi 50's. That should bring things out of the ground.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

I'm not sure but if you are keeping the seeds stored in the fridge or freezer, not actually mixed with damp seed starting medium then I don't think it is going to count that they were in there. Cool dry storage does not take the place of cold stratification. I do know areas with mild winters are recommended to sow poppies in fall. Where here where we have cold long winters late winter to very early spring is best. Some poppies will germinate without the cold but there are always ones with a built in dormancy that need that cold moist period to wake up.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2012 9:50 AM

If anyone is unsure as to what cold stratification is here is a link to explain it.
http://www.datreestore.com/cost.html

This message was edited Mar 11, 2012 10:05 AM

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

You're right, Meredith. We found that out years ago.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

So glad you posted Meredith. I will sow the rest of the seeds today as I believe its near the end of our cold period.
We will have cold weather until mid April.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2012 10:41 AM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Keeping my fingers crossed. These seeds were sent in late Feb. Too late for fall sowing. I am trying to keep birds off so they are covered with screen and stones .Its just an experiment.
If I get anything to germinate and grow I will save seeds and sow in the late fall as I have in past years.
Pirl and I tried a April sowing years ago but it didnt work. Warm weather came sooner than we thought.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm going to bag up seeds and put them in the refrig for a couple weeks. Our temps this week are in the low to mid 70s. I hope a few weeks of this process will help but if not, I'll see them next spring.
Kathy

I'm also in zone 7a and last year spread some of Jo Ann's poppy seeds in March and they were all up by 4/21. It's worth a try with a few of the seeds.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

It's going to be very warm around here this week. Out of the next six days today (65°) will be the coldest. Chicagosouth Sub Z:5b. Might break a couple records this week. Good luck everyone with your seed sowing.

Joann I think this time of year is perfect for sowing poppies for you. I think the biggest problem with fall is the seeds are more likely to get eaten or washed away before they have a chance to germinate. Maybe with the milkjugs in placed they'd have a better chance.

I was going to sow some poppies to today and I can't find them! I have a drawer of seeds and I found every type poppy except the two I was looking for! It is going to be warm here too, but we had a foot of snow just a week and a half ago so it doesn't necessarily mean it will be too warm for the poppies. :) We could have snow next week.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Pirl, I think I'm just going to stick them in the refrig for a couple weeks while it's in the high 60s low 70s and when it turns chilly again I'll plant them. I planted some last spring that I ordered from ebay and they didn't germinate -well okay, maybe 10 flowers did. Not sure if the seeds were bad or I didn't chill them. I'm learning.
kathy

From all of our experiences just refrigerating the seed doesn't do anything. They have to be in contact with soil or soil-less mix but I wish you luck.

As for losing seeds, I've lost my huge jug of seeds but do have the three packets I received this year, thankfully.

Pirl, if you need more poppy seeds I still have some left. Been sending them out right and left. Be glad to send you some.
Meredith, what colors/types were you looking for. I don't have bunches, but who knows? Maybe I have what you wanted.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Meredith: that makes sense. If my 2 methods work this year I will sow in early ( very early ) spring.
We have had 70 mph winde a few days last week and the jugs are still where I put them.
We will have 70* temps this week.Nothing else to do but measure how much the tulips have grown.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2012 5:31 AM

Thank you so much Oberon! That is very thoughtful of you! I should be ok with what I have. A nice DG member sent me some seeds of her Queen Poppies, which I've only seen available as plants. So I'd better keep searching through my seed drawer!

Thanks, Mary, but I have enough. I just get annoyed with myself for losing the jug.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Oberon46
I would love to have some. I got my seed bucket out last night and I was thinking I had lots of poppy seeds but what I have is lots of columbine seeds. I have bunches of a tall yellow and a purple with green in the flower. NOID. I had one little packet from a trade. Hope my seeds scattered well last year.

Pirl,
I hate when I lose things. My seeds always go into an old metal milk box. It's lid wouldn't shut after my last order of zinnia.

Kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.