February 2012- Cold or Warm?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

New thread for February!!!

I wonder what the weather will be like this month? lol. I could use some cold weather right now.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Good question! Altho, I'm good with 60 degrees this month! We DO need cold and Winter and dormant plants and all but warm is just so NICE! I'm all about good weather, so bring the armadillos and the palm trees! But, here is a year ago today and the Harry Truman home in Independence, MO. Dangit, this weather is probably just a fluke!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I'm thinking that this is our dry year after 2 wet years. We seem to go in cycles like that. I still prefer all that snow in your pic. LOL

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

27°/51°/32°
Through 10am: Low clouds, fog and poor visibilities will continue throughout the period.
Areas of freezing fog early. Partly cloudy. Winds light and variable.

Hi Crit!
I never tuck my shirts in :o)

Will,
Smile, I sang that myself as I read it.
I thought you could Google what they eat and put a potted plant in with him. If they eat greens, LOL! I seriously don't know.
I use the brush attachment on the Dyson vacuum. It really sucks out the dust that blowing doesn't get.
NICE plant!

Crit,
Very good news about your finger!
Smiling. I don't mind keeping my pioolw company either :o)

Thanks for the thread Pepper.
Yes, we are going to be dry this winter. It doesn't even seem like we have had a winter at all yet. It worries me about the plants too.

Will,
NO armadillos! You get them, a few years later I get them. I don't want them, LOL!!

It's amazing how much better I feel today. I hit the fruit, water and fruit juices hard. Sickness comes from a body off the PH balance. I apparently needed to eat acid to turn alkaline.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Look like going to make Zombie Comedy movies in Riverton, KS:

http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/x1296876400/Zombie-comedy-movie-to-film-near-Riverton-beginning-in-spring

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Hi all, been missing for awhile, work has been really long, ending the old year, starting the new year, and doing all the normal stuff, plus working on the new software, so long long days, sort of feel like a vampire, no sun in the morning, no sun coming home at night, just the moon shining. Glad the plane missed it or I wouldn't have any light at all...rofl.

No work on the pergola, the best weather has been thru the week, the few nice days on the weekend have been so windy I can't wrestle a board up there without being blown off the ladder. Settin out in the middle of farm ground means no wind breaks!

Just have a sec but wanted to catch up and say hi.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Rusty,
The movie sounds hilarious! They've been re-running zombie movies lately for some reason.

Happ,
We all get busy and we all make it back :o)
Grin! I'm glad it didn't destroy your chance at light either. Those are grueling hours! No light. I hope you get out of that situation soon!
Another grin. We've been windy this year too. Iowa doesn't have too many breaks for the wind either and I live on the NW edge of town. The wind comes across the corn field pretty good!

Yes Crit, glad to hear your finger is getting better. If the whole finger is numb or a big part of it, I think I'd attach it to another finger with a sock or something to help protect it from unknowingly getting in hot or cold or getting injured. The side of my big toe just recently got all the feeling back, it was about 18 months before it got back to normal, whatever it was, happened to my dang toe in June of 2010.

Haha billyp! They say Armadillos are on the march and eventually they could be everywhere up to southern New England. They had it and other animals on Good Morning America the other day.
They did say they aren't good for gardeners gardens because they like to dig. Billyp, how do you check ph balance?, I might need to check mine.

How about my pot of Fall Mums, they are in bloom, kinda!

I like a good zombie movie myself. I liked Zombieland, I didn't like it that Bill Murphy got killed in that movie though.

Glad to see you, happ! Tell them to stop working you so much! Yeah, don't risk falling off a ladder. I once saw a neighbor fall off a ladder and break his leg, he says "call an ambulance, I think I just broke my freaking leg"!

When we went to Wisconsin, to The House On The Rock 2 years ago, on the way, we saw all the cornfields in Iowa, it's like they're architectural in design almost, a big curved row of corn then grass then corn again, for miles, it was awe-inspiring even, and so green looking! Missouri seems so boring compared to other states! And Wisconsin with all the cows, hills and barns, it was nice too.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Hi Pepper, did you find a Pepsi can? I noticed that not all of them are the ticket cans, here is one of them.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I keep forgetting to look. I passed it on to a friend so hopefully she can keep her eyes peeled.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will,
A sore toe is an annoyance, but no feeling? I would hate that.

I know and those 'dillos, fire ants, poisonous spiders and African bees can just stay south!

I don't have anything to check . I just know by the foods I'm eating if I've had too much sugary or salty junk.

Yeah, Iowa and Missouri are pretty.

Mums look good! I finally moved those that were dwindling, hoping to get them going again. This time they are in full sun, hot and dry.

Well, we had a good week with the boys. I pulled out the toy boxes we hadn't had out for a while, so all was new. I sat and mended as they played cars.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Hello all ..... just popping in since I haven't been around for a while.

Our lovely "spring weather" has now given way to winter and we are going to be back in the 40's for a high for the next week. I have some daffodils I dug up a couple months ago that I need to get back into the ground. I kept putting it off for other things, and here it is cold again. I would 'think about it' then 'forget about it'. UGH! lol

Dontchajustluvit????? We can upload up to five images on one post!!!!!!!!!!! YIPPPPPEEEEE!

Wow, 5 images I'm gonna have to do that just to see what it looks like, that'll be much appreciated, that is nice. Making multiple pics for one upload can get tiresome, I'm gonna upload 2 regular old photos.

I owe an apology to the other missourians here, geographically, Mo. doesn't seem as pretty as some other states, I've lived here 15 sixteenths of my life. I was born and raised in the county that I'm in right now, Jackson County, Mo.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

27°/30°/18°
Lots of sunshine. High around 30F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.

Crit,
We are still in spring weather too, also going cold this week. I don't care. One whole week of February is GONE! It actually misted yesterday and we've had fog every morning over the past week. Weird!
And hopefully I can get good pictures of the Grandkids today. With two, I take the camera and hardly have time to use it. Plus, all the pictures look the same, LOL!!

Will, Sometimes you need to drive in another direction and find a different area to sight see in. South of us has different vegetation as does the west. It's only 20 miles away in either direction. Leave Nichols and head east and it's blow sand. That's what my Dad grew melons on as a kid.
Ah, the fabled Pepsi can :o)

It's DD day!

Yesterday I made no bake cookies. Since they reduced the fat content in the ''Imperial, Parkay, Blue Bonnet, etc. baking butters, the cookies ARENT the same.

I also found the rest of the Hershey Kisses in the cupboard and made Peanut Blossoms. Is it just me or has the milk chocolates all gone rank? I ate the little tips that fell off and all I tasted was a wang with no sweetness. They weren't white and I had them sealed since Christmas baking. I just don't like Hershey anymore. I actually had to eat a Dove to get the wang out of my mouth :o)

Have a beautiful day!!

I've noticed that all milk chocolate tastes weird anymore. I've had to resort to dark chocolate though I make sure I get the sweet versions, not the ones with 70% or more cocoa content!! lol. Those are extremely bitter!!

Will, Missouri isn't the prettiest state but she sure is the most unique. We have everything except the desert and a tropical rainforest here. Even have swamps in the bootheel which I hope one of these days to visit. The Ozarks are always fun to visit too. Especially when you avoid the tourist traps and check out other spots. Just gotta quit thinking pretty and think unique. Pretty to me is Montana, Washington and Oregon. Kentucky too now that I think about it. lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper,
I was always a chocolate fanatic, even when I was a kid. Every birthday cake was chocolate with chocolate frosting. I too have switched to Doves dark chocolate.

I love Missouri for the boondocks. The area my Granddad grew up in is still wild and uninhabited. You get to a place where you have to walk to where the homestead is. We have the deed which designates the land by trees and rocks, LOL! It's somwehere around Steeleville.

I'm a timber girl so deadfall and swamps are beautiful to me :o)

I spent all day at DD's and had a great day with the twins. They are used to me now and their Mom can go outside without them wondering where she went. They are 8 months now and at that ''scared of strangers'' age. They hadn't seen their other Grandma for a couple weeks and almost cried when she talked to them. That's why I go every Wednesday and spend the day. Then see them Friday when we pick up the boys.

Pictures.....

Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter

What adorable babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I moved to Missouri for a while after my divorce. I was looking at houses in the country in October and the leaves were changing. I found the perfect house with perfect views of all the colors! I was only 3 miles from the White River and would ride my horses down there. I was also right by the Mark Twain National Forest which was beautiful to drive through when I went to West Plains.

Yes, they are adorable babies. 1800grandma, that's funny! I am dead wrong about Missouri, it is very interesting. I was just trying to be funny and I ended up being more worried about insulting my friends.
I've pretty much been all over Missouri, this is a real nice state. I would love to go to Hannibal, Johnson Shut-Ins (and Elephant Rocks) and Mingo State Park yet.
Steelville, MO. used to be the population center of the United States, I've driven thru Steelville, neat city - http://www.steelville.com/ . I agree, Missouri is unique alright, it's not pronounced "misery" or "missourah" (much anymore), it is Mi-zer-ee!

Oh, no-bake cookies are real good! My Grandma used to make them, for some reason she called them Macaroons. We get them now store-bought, they are good, but there is no comparison to the ones made at home. They are just the right amount of coconut (I think) and chocolate!

It's time for the Metropolitan Flower, Lawn and Garden show at the American Royal this weekend! You can even save a dollar off admission by showing your Price Chopper Shopper card at the ticket counter.

Ewww.. they're talking about very cold air moving in! Well, I guess no very early Spring here dangit, the sprouting flowers and stuff are just going to have to sit there!
I inserted a photo of the Daffodils thinking about coming up already!

West Plains is a neat city, there is so much around that city, the Mark Twain National Forest, Grand Gulf State Park, Mammoth Springs State Park, (which actually, is just across the border in AR., but still nice), I've been to them all. We still have the book West Plains As I Knew It in the ahem.. bathroom. I was reading more of it earlier, that city has such a neat history. I was reading about the history of the "Grand Gulf" today, there, very interesting. We can't bring ourselves to move some stuff since my friend's Mom passed, the mini-fridge in her room still has her stuff in it. Did you know the mascot for the West Plains high school is The Zizzers?! Hehe.. look at the road sign in one of the pics in West Plains I took! I think they got the mascot name from that highway! My roommate's (and friend's) Mom was from West Plains.

Wow, this Good Morning America video is worth seeing for parents with little kids, it has a good ending - http://gma.yahoo.com/video/parenting-26594265/little-girl-fights-off-abductor-in-walmart-28242481.html
The ad for that is one that is even worth watching! Well, it's different than I thought. It has a rotating ad, it's not the one about electric cars that I liked, all the time.
Will

This message was edited Feb 11, 2012 8:08 PM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Crit, thanks! Wow, you did find the perfect place!

Will, you are never insulting! If you can't joke around, then we don't have a sense of humor :o)
Laughing. I call it Miz'ouri, said pretty much as one word.
No coconut in this batch, but I do love coconut in them!
I'll bet it is hard on your friend to just forget her Mom. In time she will be ready to clean it out.
Wow, that was some video!
Daffodils now? Oh boy!

Will, don't worry about insulting us. I agree with Bp. Gotta joke around or go staid!! LOL

Yep, daffys are coming up!! Mine are just barely poking out of the ground. Some people my mom works with say they have tulips coming up too but that I find hard to believe.

Will, I will be at the Garden Show on Sunday. I went last year too. Learned a BIG lesson last year!! Take a cart or wagon to carry everything and start on the garden side first so if you are too tired to see the rest it's no big deal. lol. I had my hands full last year carrying everything that I bought. This year I bought a grocery cart to carry everything for me.

This message was edited Feb 9, 2012 7:02 PM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper,
If they are the early spring kind, and in a sheltered place, tulips might be peeking up.

Smiling over your lesson. ALWAYS assume you will buy tons of plants, LOL! The cart will be useful in many other places too!

I'm hoping to hold on to my vow to not buy anymore house plants. I want another orchid but don't have a good spot for one right now. Plus I'm dealing with aphids and trying to keep them under control til spring comes and I can throw everything outside and let mother nature kill them for me. lol. I will be buying alot of bulbs though. That's a given. lol

I hope you guys are ready for some snow around here!! Got some coming on Sunday night and all day Monday if the system holds together.

Thanks you guys! Sometimes, I think stuff can be taken as an insult when I don't even mean it to be! Like I tell my friend here sometimes, "your supposed to know what I mean, not what I say!"!

Hehe.. them Daffodils are gonna have to fold up and wait because they say it's going down to around 1 tonite, maybe that's just wind-chill but still around ten degrees I think.

If it does snow Sunday maybe it'll be a little warmer, but we should have a decent snow at least once this Winter!

Anybody ever grown a Pineapple plant from a store bought Pineapple? I think I'll try it, I have the top drying out. I found some instructions on doing it on the web, so hope I get at least one. A friend of mine gets whole pineapples all the time, I may try more. They only get around 6 - 8 feet tall at maturity, so may be able to keep it in the living room in a big pot. Here's what I'm trying to follow to grow the plant - http://rickswoodshopcreations.com/Pineapple/pineapple.htm

The HGTV stars are really going to the Metropolitan Flower, Lawn and Garden show. And that home remodeling show that's going on at the same time there, it has 3 stars the other show has 1 star I think.

Good idea, Pepper! I never am, but it's nice to be prepared. I wish I had a vow on not buying many houseplants! I went crazy on houseplants this Winter! They were just so pretty and cheap!
A lot of them are little but they'll be big soon.

This message was edited Feb 10, 2012 9:16 PM

I haven't grown a pineapple before but alot of people on this site have done it and they say it's very easy. And you should get an edible pineapple out of it too.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Shortleaf - I have recently started a pineapple top using those directions. Well, I'm still in step 3 - it took a lot longer than 3 weeks before I saw any root action, but now I'm about ready to go to step 4. But I rooted in clear glass, not the dark container they suggest.

Cool Cybrczch, I'm not alone! I'm gonna try it this time with what I have, I didn't get to her in time and my friend was cutting it up and she just sliced it regularly straight across the top, not like they say to do it, but I'm gonna try it anyway, maybe it'll root. I'll try a clear glass too then, I can think of some clear glasses that we have. I bet it'd be a lot easier to see if it's rooting in a clear glass too.

On second thought, too much may have been cut off, it sounds like you need an inch or so of the stalk, and she sliced it straight across the top about a half inch from the bottom leaves, I'll try it anyway!
But, I may need to try another one, on this one I think she was just trying to get the most edible parts from the pineapple. I'll look at this one and see if there's any of their "root primordia" left.

This other friend is hooked on eating pineapples so I shouldn't have a problem getting them. I mean she'll make a trip to the grocery store just to get a pineapple, well, on sale!

It's kinda difficult to grasp their instructions and photos but I think it's sinking in a little more after I read it about 20 times..lol

I'd love to get an edible pineapple out of it, how neat would that be?! It says they'll be smaller, but that's okay if they taste decent!
The uncut pineapple taste alot better than the pineapple in a can.

If you do not cut it straight across, how do you cut it? My husbands aunt has one growing at her house. She said it was really easy. I haven't tried it yet.

We are going to be in the 30's with nights in the teens M, Tu, Wed, then the next 4 days range from 50-56 with temps near freezing. UGH. Talk about confusing the plants! I have jonquils, tulips and Easter lillies coming up. Poor babies, hope they survive.

Whitney Houston has died. It just got announced a few minutes ago. Very sad.

Will, hope you are successful with the pineapple!! You'll have to post pics.

Well, thanks to the freezing cold weather I think everyone is ready for snow!! lol. I can't wait!! lol

I think I worded that wrong, Crit : ). My guess is you still cut it straight across, but instead of cutting it a half inch below the leaves, it should get cut an inch and a half below the leaves to get what they called the "root primordias", which must be the little brown spot looking things in their photos - http://rickswoodshopcreations.com/images/Pineapple/Many_Roots.jpg . It seems like it would be a gamble on if you have them after it's cut. I think that's how I'm gonna cut it anyway, and then cut out some of the fleshy part that's left after that cut to get a couple more edible bites of the pineapple. I think the plan is to get those "root primordias" that are in the upper part of the core or stalk. Maybe I'm reading it wrong myself, I am a total noobie at trying it. I don't to make it harder than it really is! I just got to succeed! I have a reputation to uphold!
Anybody ever seen a Coleus overwinter so nice as this one? Fortunately for it, it was directly under a shoplite all Winter with grow bulbs in it. I thought I read that around 6 inches under a grow bulb is equal to roughly half the lumens of direct sunlight in the Summer, not bad for the ones underneath it! A friend has 2 cuttings left of it in her window and they each are very leggy, pale green and skinny and they each only have one leaf left! Mine will have a good start come Spring when I set it out for all to see! I learned something about Coleus cuttings, they can't be small cuttings! I only have that one and I did have about 15 smaller cuttings and they all died, but that one. To show how close the Coleus is to the shoplite, you can see it next to the Wandering Jew cutting, (2 cuttings in that basket and they're both also doing well). In that photo of just the Coleus, it is in a plastic pot that is in the silver pot that I wantto repot it to, but the dang repotting soil outside is froze up, and the lizard is looking on like he's going to eat the Coleus! Happ, if you'd still like one you can have that basket if you like.
I'll have alot of cuttings of that Wandering Jew, I'm gonna give the mother plant a haircut soon and get a ton more cuttings. You sure you don't want many more, happ? Anybody? Wandering Jew cuttings can be tiny, in that basket is a real tiny one, but even it has leaves, (the little one over on the left side of that basket, in the light photo). Wandering Jew cuttings really like to be rooted in water, then they are always full, in soil they just like to be watered every day or all the time, which isn't a problem for me, oddly enuff I enjoy watering!

Wow, thanks Pepper, Whitney Houston, that is sad. I turned on cnn, they are talking about an overdose sounds like. It must be hard to be filthy rich, all the temptation and excess, still sad though, she was a good singer. Sure, I'll post pics if i get a pineapple plant to root. Try to have some shopping restraint at the Garden Show, Pepper, maybe you can post pics of your haul from there!
Where is that 1800Grandma?!
Will

They are saying now that there were no drugs and no signs of foul play. She did have emphysema and I know that isn't spelled right!! That could have played a part.

I'll try to remember to get pics of my haul. I'm buying for someone else too so I don't have to go easy.

I bet it comes out what happened to her in the coming days and weeks. She coulda just taken too many prescription pills and flushed the rest when she felt woozy, coulda been suicide.
Wow, a suicide, she had so many fans, I can't imagine that she'd let them down like that, but she accomplished everything, she was so talented. I don't know what killed her, I'm just thinking out loud. I hope it wasn't drugs myself, also that can't be good for a legacy. They said she battled drugs and alcohol all her life, that doesn't mean that's what happened now tho, she coulda been sober, stuff just happens I'm sure. Makes you kinda think, "geez, what if I died, nobody hardly would know it!", I mean my family and friends would know, but it wouldn't be in the news or anything. I can just see it, "unemployed man dies in small suburb East of Kansas City"! Not! I don't plan on dying, but I guess you never know. Rich or poor, a life is a life, poor Whitney. Maybe she felt bad because this part of her life was so much different than 20 or 25 years ago.

Hehe.. I Googled Emphysema, that is too how to spell it! If I had a dollar for every word I misspelled, I'd be rich! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emphysema

Here's that Coleus, all repotted up! I brought in my bucket of soil that I use for repotting into the garage yesterday and the top 2 inches or so was thawed out today, that was enuff for the Coleus. It's called 'Watermelon', I went outside to the freezer and got the label from it's post last year.

I wonder what Pepper got at the Garden Show?!

Any takers on the striped Wandering Jew cuttings? I can mail a cutting in a regular envelope and I got plenty of stamps!

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Shortleaf - If she cut it that short, I would probably pull off another layer or two of leaves to get more stem for rooting. Hope it works for you

Hi Cyb, I'm gonna try it. Thanks, I'll try cutting off 1 or 2 layers of leaves. Here it is, still drying out.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I got several boxes of tulips and daffodils for 5 dollars a box. 1 box goes for my boss who wanted some bulbs from there and the rest will either go in my yard or most likely to my grandma since she said she would take them. They all came from the Grass Pad. I got a few pics from there but there wasn't much to look at this year. Very boring and not as many vendors either. Next month there is another show at Bartle Hall we might go too and there will be more there.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Pepper I went to it on Saturday, some of the most beautiful orchids I have ever seen, but short of that it just keeps getting smaller and smaller and more expensive. 7.00 to park, was it 9.00 without the coupon. 16.00 to have people sell me things! I have to get a lot of good bargins to make up that amount of money, and the grasspad was the only place selling anything I was interested in. I did buy some daffs, and a few other bulbs, but dang I could of paid full price and shippings and been ahead. I always carry a pepsi in my purse cause I am not paying those prices for that. I hear Wichita has a great show, someday I will try to make it just for the heck of it.

Fun fun fun coming in today, course it was just me and all the pickup trucks at 5am. It was slick up north, and alot more snow on the 169 than I thought we were suppose to have. I thought I heard something about freezing rain this afternoon. Really quiet at work for some reason....odd.

I want wandering jew..but I will stop by this spring if that will work for you.

Sure happ, that'll work, see ya then. By Spring, a Wandering Jew cutting should be on it's way to being real pretty. The only show I've been to was the one Pepper is talking about next month at Bartle Hall I think, I was at it in 2003. I remember all the stuff for sale, man, you could go broke at those shows! Okay prices to very good prices and something for sale is at every turn! It's like Mr. Wizz from Seinfeld is asking you if you want to buy an overpriced hotdog, then a swimsuit model wants you to buy a hottub for 5 thousand dollars (with the water swirling and everything)!
Yeah, not nice weather, I was outside at 5:30 this morning shoveling snow and cleaning off my friend's car windows. All the nice displays of landscaping and stuff does give you ideas how to do your own yard though.
I have a few old photos from my Garden Show experience years ago -

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I got the tulips and daffodils for 5 bucks for a full box that they were displayed in. I bought 3 boxes. You can't buy nice bulbs in big amounts like that for that price. That's the best part of going on Sunday. They mark stuff down so they don't have to haul it back home.

Will, I have a lot of the striped wandering jew. I put broken pieces or pieces I trim directly into dirt and it grows great. I have a start of the hairy wj and also some of the green wj.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.