Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: February 2012- Cold or Warm?, 2 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: February 2012- Cold or Warm?

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

Back to post
Photo of February 2012- Cold or Warm?
shortleaf wrote:
I think I worded that wrong, Crit : ). My guess is you still cut it straight across, but instead of cutting it a half inch below the leaves, it should get cut an inch and a half below the leaves to get what they called the "root primordias", which must be the little brown spot looking things in their photos - http://rickswoodshopcreations.com/images/Pineapple/Many_Root... . It seems like it would be a gamble on if you have them after it's cut. I think that's how I'm gonna cut it anyway, and then cut out some of the fleshy part that's left after that cut to get a couple more edible bites of the pineapple. I think the plan is to get those "root primordias" that are in the upper part of the core or stalk. Maybe I'm reading it wrong myself, I am a total noobie at trying it. I don't to make it harder than it really is! I just got to succeed! I have a reputation to uphold!
Anybody ever seen a Coleus overwinter so nice as this one? Fortunately for it, it was directly under a shoplite all Winter with grow bulbs in it. I thought I read that around 6 inches under a grow bulb is equal to roughly half the lumens of direct sunlight in the Summer, not bad for the ones underneath it! A friend has 2 cuttings left of it in her window and they each are very leggy, pale green and skinny and they each only have one leaf left! Mine will have a good start come Spring when I set it out for all to see! I learned something about Coleus cuttings, they can't be small cuttings! I only have that one and I did have about 15 smaller cuttings and they all died, but that one. To show how close the Coleus is to the shoplite, you can see it next to the Wandering Jew cutting, (2 cuttings in that basket and they're both also doing well). In that photo of just the Coleus, it is in a plastic pot that is in the silver pot that I wantto repot it to, but the dang repotting soil outside is froze up, and the lizard is looking on like he's going to eat the Coleus! Happ, if you'd still like one you can have that basket if you like.
I'll have alot of cuttings of that Wandering Jew, I'm gonna give the mother plant a haircut soon and get a ton more cuttings. You sure you don't want many more, happ? Anybody? Wandering Jew cuttings can be tiny, in that basket is a real tiny one, but even it has leaves, (the little one over on the left side of that basket, in the light photo). Wandering Jew cuttings really like to be rooted in water, then they are always full, in soil they just like to be watered every day or all the time, which isn't a problem for me, oddly enuff I enjoy watering!

Wow, thanks Pepper, Whitney Houston, that is sad. I turned on cnn, they are talking about an overdose sounds like. It must be hard to be filthy rich, all the temptation and excess, still sad though, she was a good singer. Sure, I'll post pics if i get a pineapple plant to root. Try to have some shopping restraint at the Garden Show, Pepper, maybe you can post pics of your haul from there!
Where is that 1800Grandma?!
Will