Spring Round Up, Anyone?

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

More bad news. My mom passed away last Thurs in Dallas area about 3 hours before the plane I rushed for in PHX landed. She had been in hospital, assisted living end 2 weeks on nursing care and took sudden turn for worse. Sure glad DD fromCA and sisters family from OH and I got to be there last month to see her. More somber trip this time.

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

So sorry to hear you lost your mom Lynda. Adding a few prayers for all of you. Sad to lose a mother, it's been 6 years since my mom went "home" and I miss her all the time. This year is starting out sad for a lot of us. Hugs Pegi

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

So sorry for your loss.

I keep checking here to see if Singing Wolf will appear. I sure miss her!

The very warm weather we are having makes me want to think about starting some seeds. It just doesn't seem like it is suppose to be winter. First I have to take all pine needles out of my raised bed so I can even find the soil. My sweet peas haven't shown their heads yet, I did get them in a little late than usual.

My DH has been so sick the last week so looks like I won't get any help from him. Wish I could get him to clean house and I could play in the yard.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA(Zone 9b)

quiltygirl, sorry to hear of your loss. We are from Dallas. Your experience is one reason I was hesitant to move. Our parents. :-(

I am new here, but I sure am hopeful that this California forum gets busy in the spring. I just just moved here from Texas and I am looking forward to beginning another garden. In Texas, there were seed swaps and plant swaps and a local garden center. I am looking for local resources.

Hi DG California :-)

Hi butterfly4mama welcome to California Gardening. I too hope this forum gets busy, it is has been a rough year for many. This has always been an active forum in the past. You will find seed swaps and plant swaps too.

Singing Wolf, are you still lurking around this forum? Miss you sweetie!!

My neighbor just came over and asked if I had any aluminun cans, we save them for recycling, but she puts them in a very large pot, puts the soil around them and that way the roots grow arount them and it also helps water drainage. I never heard of that, but she said her dad used to do that. Asked if other cans, like soup etc. would work and she said for some reason aluminum works better. Just thought maybe the other cans rust and that wouldn't be good for the plants. All I had was 8 cans, but she gave me an excelllent idea for some very large containers. Could use theim in my styrofoam containers too. Excited about it now. Just had to share this with all.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Samigal, I've been missing you too! Neat tip for your potted plants. : - )
Aww, QG we need to talk GF. I'm so sorry about your Mama. Were you in O'side on Feb. 10th of this year? I could have sworn I saw you at our favorite park.
Hi rising creek. Which Sun City do you hail from? Hopefully the one near me.
Hi and welcome B'fly4Mama, what do you need for your new garden? I'll share anything I have that isn't already promised.
Say, has anyone volunteered to do a RU this year? I know it's kind of late for some of our friends, but I was thinking,
which usually gets me into trouble, how much I enjoy the RU's and the company of my DG friends. So I was wondering do we want to do it again?
LMK, okay?
To catch up in brief, I had a really bad spell, but I am getting better. I've been spending all the sunny moments I can outside in the gh or the garden. Boy, did I neglect my garden last summer. Things are started to look less wild now.
It's almost spring time, although you wouldn't know it from the weather! I can't believe it's going to be in the 80's again all week! Sadly, we still need rain! Still when I see the mountain ranges in the distance looking so close and clear, it makes my heart sing and my feet dance down the road. My chickens are happy and laying eggs, my dogs are fat and sassy. Life is good. On the other hand, the weeds are almost as high as my dogs in some places, but since I've been so diligent about getting work done, I've almost got everything that needed transplanting right now, transplanted already.
Speaking of which, I bought a flat of yellow lantana last fall, and then ignored it until Feb. I got a lot of starts, and I'm glad I didn't try transplanting them right away. Some barely had roots as it was. Anyway, I can spare about 10 plants from the two landscaping projects I have if anyone would like one or two.
Oh, and for those who remember him, I planted Robert Dokka's tree (okay, I had my ES do it) down by the creek a couple of weeks ago. It looks really happy. I still have to plant one for Linda's nephew, but these things take time to grow. Sigh.
I am still messed up by the time change, and have terminal insomnia. I know it's late, so I'll check back in a few hours to see if anyone responds.
Happy to be back in contact.
WIB~
SingingWolf

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

SW, glad to (virtually) see you active again. Nope, it was not me in Oceanside, wishing it was though. Have not been there to CA since Christmas with DD and since I was going monthly, that is a long time. Am wanting to go, but prefer when gas goes down again (will it?) - maybe that will coincide with a RU?

I am so over winter, now that I live where there really is a winter. It is pretty to see the snow in the San Francisco peaks behind Flagstaff and they are over 100 miles away. 70's this week and glad we are not south in 'the valley' of PHX as they are already into the 90's. Locals talk of there usually being a 'last hurrah' snowfall around Easter that has snow actually staying on the ground for several days. Hmmph. Can do without that. I am trying to figure out how, what, where to plant stuff in this hard rocky sloped ground AND tp be able to do it without spending any $$, ha- ha. I would love to partake of those lantanas, but so much I considered or that were perennials back there do not grow here. Locals do a great job of growing gravel in their yards though!

BTW, it was our grandson who died with the Army in Oct.

Miss you all,
Lynda

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

My bad Lynda, I guess I got it mixed up. I'm planting your Grandson some acorns, and hope that at least one will germinate, so I can get his tree growing. : - )
I could have sworn I saw you down in O'side at our favorite park in Feb. Must have been wishful thinking.
Still waiting to hear back from folks about a RU this year. We're kind of late getting started, maybe. We'll see.
I do hope the price of gas goes down again. Sigh. . .
I finally got my computer fixed so I can share photos again. Yay!
So I want to share a few I took today when I was with DH checking out bee locations.
It's really hard to pick just five.
Here we go,
I love the Blue Bellied Lizard and his friend we caught sunning themselves or courting on a rock at the Indian Village in the Mariposa Preserve.
We were looking for wildflowers and found these Lupine on the side of the road.
Found this Bobcat about 30 feet up a Sycamore tree in a meadow at the MP.
Can't forget our feathered friends. Nice of the Red Tailed Hawk to sit long enough for me to get a photo.
My favorite snag of the day. It's got a lot of personality and character.
Okay, I've got it out of my system for now. I'm really proud of the bobcat photos. : - ) I spotted it and pointed it out to DH. He was good enough to back up the truck for me, so I could get the pics. Victory Dance. Poor bugger was hot, and panting.
Okay, back to the thread, is anybody out there interested in a RU this year?
Gotto go for now.
WIB~
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf
sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

I would like to attend, do you have any idea of a date yet?

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Nope, we usually try to agree upon a date that works for most of the people who want to attend the RU. I wish we could do it on a day when no one had anything else going on. It's not always easy to accomodate everyone.
If I can get 10 people to express an interest, I'll start a new RU thread and we'll go on from there.

risingcreek, are you in the Sun City, right next to Menifee? We might be able to get together a lot easier and more often since we are close together. I have a lot of plant starts I've got to throw in the compost pile or find homes for.
My Jade needs whacking back, as well as some of the other succulents. Them Butterfly plants went nuts out in the green house, and I'll be removing a lot of them if anyone wants some. I think I mentioned that I do have some yellow lantana, too. If you want some, speak up and I'll put your name on the pot. I'm sure I have a bunch of other stuff, but that's what's on my mind at this moment.

That and needing to go Neem my Hibiscus plants. Which I'd better get to doing.

I'll check in later. I imagine more folks will be speaking up over the weekend.

Walk in Beauty~

SingingWolf

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

I am in the one near menifee. would love to have anything you are tossing, have a lot of empty places here.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Cool, I have a lot of succulents, are they in your gardening plans?
Are you in SC proper? Do you have a yard? How about container gardening? The older I get, the less inclined I am to get up and down to weed. My poor knees just can't do it as easily as they used to. Sigh.
I'll dmail you with my contact info.
Now I really do have to find that cell phone, though.
Sigh.
WIB~
SW

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

I'd be up for a RU even though I don't have any cuttings started. I could bring something, I'm sure.
It's just so very good to get together, plants, cuttings or whatever.

I'm always interested in a RU, and I don't have any cuttings stared either. DH has been on the sick list for a long time now. First in Jan. he got the flu and I thought he would never get over it. Has a hard time breathing now and never knows how he will feel from day to day. Price of gas has kept us pretty much at home, and with this warm weather I have been busy trying to get rid of a heavy vine that grows over our back fence. Didn't one of the girls suggest she would have a RU this year, can't remember her name though?

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

I dont have any cuttings either, but do have lots of seeds. well, maybe cactus cuttings if anyone is interested. If there is enough time I could start a lot of those 6 pack seed things, I have lots of those also
kc

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I'll come if I can talk my hubby into it. My health has been a little sketchy lately too, but I don't let it stop me from gardening, LOL.
I have just a ton of succulents and geraniums and even a few plants and bulbs already in plastic pots I can bring.
April 14th would be fine for me.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Everyone,

We just can't do it on the weekend of April 13 & 14th. It's my FIL's 80th B.day, and we have lots of family down for that weekend. Any other weekend would be fine.

Bums me out because I'd love to meet Domehomedee. I love your part of the world, and am in need of some milkweed seed for my Monarch b.fly friends. : - ) I about decided a few years back that life was going to pass me by, and that I could be ill anywhere. Sometimes a change of scenery is nice.
Maybe we could get together on another weekend? I'm up in your area a couple of times a year, usually we go up in Jan. and sometimes in Nov., even if this doesn't work out, maybe we could get together sometime?

Start throwing some dates out there, folks!

Sylvia, it would be great to see you. Is jury duty over?

Sami, I'm sorry to hear about your DH. Give him a hug from me and tell him I hope he is better soon. Do you have any plumie starts? You know I'm interested in them. : - 0
Sami, I just found my RU photos from last year. I'm going to need help id'ing a lot of folks. I'm thinking it may have been tchrkare? Something close to that, but I haven't heard from her in a while. I hope she is still a member, and sees this thread.

risingcreek, I noticed last year that started seeds were snapped up pretty fast. I think they were veggies too, weren't they, Sami and Sylvia? I'm sure whatever you bring will find a good home.

BTW, if someone else would like to host this event, I'd be happy to help them. If not, we'll just plan on having it out here at the farm. If someone else wants to host it here, same thing. I know it's awfully hard to find a location to hold gardening events. Enough said. I am thinking that we'll get more of a response by moving to a new thread, but I'll wait til Monday to do anything about it, okay? Asking your opinions here. Don't be shy.

Got to go for now.

WIB~
SW

I'll see what I have in plummies, Jules. I took some cuttings off a tree that was trying to climb over a brick fence, don't know if they did anything or not. I know they were yellow and got them in Cerritos so called them Cerritos Yellow. Been busy trying to get rid of a nasty vine that grows over our brick fence from the other side. Wish the gardeners from the mall side would just hack that darn thing down. None of them speak English so I'm really in trouble. I'm almost mad enough to go over there with my clippers and start hacking away. I'm up for any date, but if DH isn't well enough I won't get to come. He sees the oncologist on April 1st so will know more then, I hope.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I'll keep a watch on the thread. If I have a little notice so I get my hubby used to the idea I'm taking off I can come pretty much whenever. End of April, even May are good. I have lots of plants in seedling stage from the seed robin and I'm still planting more. I'm doing plant sales every other week, mostly succulents, but basically whatever I have extra of in my garden and whatever I get a bee in my bonnet to seed. Check out the sales yard I set up next to my hoop house.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee

Oh wow, Domehomedee what a wonderful place you have and so many plants. You must keep very busy.

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes Jules, I'm on a jury till at least end of the month.
It will be delightful to see every one have a good pot luck an bring
anything we have to share........a little or a lot. Whatever.
Love to all the So Cal. DG'ers
Sylvia

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Okay everyone,

We will resume the conversations on the new thread, here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1303019/

Hope to see old friends and new on the new thread.

Walk In Beauty~

SingingWolf

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Happy 4th of July everyone!

I hope you all enjoy this holiday with family and friends.

It's my birthday so later today I'll celebrate it with barbeque, family, and friends.

Jules, I'll call you soon. Most likely I won't be able to get my niece to come again until some time in August.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Happy 4th to everyone and Happy Birthday to Shorty!
We're going to brave Pismo Beach later today. You know the grandkids kind of need to see the fireworks. We're not going to drive into Pismo though, we're going to walk on the beach from Grover Beach, that way we won't have to brave getting back on 1 or 101 to get home, This sounds funny but it can take hours to get back on the freeway at Pismo on the 4th. We're even going to try to go to a barbeque restaurant beforehand, could be good, could be bad.

No time to talk, but just wanted to let you know Darwin passed away this morning around 9:30 AM I'm in a numb state right now but wanted to let you know.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Condolences Pegi.

Thanks for the birthday wishes Dee. I had a great time and even got some planting done.

I fully understand the 101/1 driving conditions on holidays. It is horrible no matter what part of the state you're in.

Peggi, so sorry to hear about your loss.

Thank you my gardening pals. Still hard to believe he is gone, but doesn't have to suffer any more. Very hard on me being a caregiver too, but I know I would do it again. The hospice nurse was with me, I had called and asked to send someone out to help me with him because he wasn't responding to me and breathing hard. As soon as she got here he took his last breath. I'm thankful for that and the help she gave me.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hope you had a nice Birthday Shorty. I'm so sorry I missed it. Happy Belated Birthday! :-)

Dee, I've been stuck in that traffic on the 4th at Pismo, for that matter on a couple of Holiday weekends. It's good to know that you have a work around for the traffic, and that's what DH and I would have done. Instead we stayed at home and watched the critters for the kids, so they could go to their Anime Convention.

We swam in the pool, ate a nice dinner, and then we went to the top of the hill to watch the fireworks. I'm not doing that again with wet hair. I've been sick again. I really hate summer colds. They always seem to hang on forever.

Samigal, I am so devastated to hear that Darwin has passed. I am so glad that the Nurse was with you when he left us. You did a wonderful thing by making it possible for Darwin to spend his last days at home. I know that at times, it was hard for you to be Darwin's caregiver, but you know, you eased his last days, just by being there. I am so proud of you.

My Gpa passed away on the 4th of July too. I always think of the fireworks as a celebration, but it's hard to celebrate the passing of someone you loved. That being said, I am so glad that he doesn't have to endure any more pain. I know that seeing him in pain was hard on you too.

I'm not surprised that you are numb. Everything will seem to be slightly disconnected for a while. Please hang in there, for just a bit longer, and let us know about arrangements for Darwin's funeral.

I'll be praying for you.

Sending you as many Hugs as you need.

WIB~
SW

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.