Spring Round Up, Anyone?

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

Sorry, Jules if I stepped on your toes by telling Domehomedee where the round-up is going to be. I'm just so excited that more people want to come I just can't keep my mouth shut. LOL

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that is so excited about it. My kids are already tired of hearing me talk about nothing but the RU. LOL

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Monkeymomr - there is a DG r who lives in Alpine. Can't remember the pen name. Have you sent an invite to someone there? If they came they would not be far from Akers Roadrunner's DGD is having her mud run that day and maybe they could drive Ms Jo to the RU. Just thinking and trying to fond a way for her to make it up thisd way.

I'm not sure, but I may have. Check the trade list back about two weeks. That's what I used to find Californians to dmail.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

OMG, I figured I would try to find a list of those from CA, so went to the Member list, then CA and there are 39,000 members on 1015 pages. This may take some time to go through. BUT, they do show if they are a subscribing member and only those members would be able to read the RU or CA Gardening Forums and therefore know about what is going on. The member list goes from earliest members signed up to last (on page 1015).

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I won't be able to make the RU. Would someone mind stepping up in my place to post the food thread? I've got a baby shower and birthday party to plan for. Hate to miss...if no one wants to do the thread, I will but it may be awhile before I can update. Thanks.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Samigal,
You weren't stepping on my toes at all. I haven't been able to get on-line until today. So thanks for helping me out.
Weegy, I love your growing family. We can always try to get together another time. : - )
Yes, please do invite your DG friends, and other friends too. It's all good! : - )
Jo, I know where Barona is, and I hope you can find a ride. LMK if you can't and maybe you could take the train up to O'side, and I can come get you from there?
Time on 'puter is limited. Didn't have it at all last week. Sigh.
Miss everyone and I too am excited at the newbies who want to come join us.
Got to go for now and update a thread in prayer forum.
Walk in Beauty~
SingingWolf

Sorry we won't see you weegy, going to miss you gal.

I will do the food thread if someone would like to take a minute to explain what this intails. I'm pretty good at planning and keeping lists. Robyn

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

We all will miss you Louise.
Thanks Robyn for stepping up to the food thread plate.
Looking forward to meeting you!

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

SW - gosh, I have made a list to send invites to DG members from all over So Cal, but leaning more on areas within an hour to 1 1/2 hour drive here. I am hoping for a good turnout and that maybe some folks could carpool. It is a large list and my eyes are crossed from going through so many names. Sent Jo a Dmail regarding invites I will send to folks from around where she is staying or where her DGD is doing the race.

If everyone on the CA list came, we could have it at Angel Stadium! I will try to keep the page/list of those who are coming, if you would like.

SW you are back from HI? Troy's dad said that is where you guys were. Their set up really turned out nice for their hay sales.

BooHoo Weegy!!!!

Robyn - here is a link to the Food page from last year: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1160918/

Ok, I started the thread for the food sign up. Now I'm going to try and post the link here. I'm really not good at doing this so I hope it works.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1244536/

Yeah, it worked!!!!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Gosh thanks so much for stepping up and helping out with the Food Thread monkeymomr. : - )
QG, I can't thank you enough for your help too. That's the thing I love about DG'ers, they are always willing to step up and help.
I haven't seen the new set up myself yet with Troy's hay lot, but am so grateful we could work it out with the city and the owner of the wood lot.
In answer to your question, we will be returning home on Sunday, way early in the morning. I get confused about the time difference.
I am really looking forward to this event. : - )
The more the merrier.
Samigal, and Dillansnana, you both have always been supportive and I do appreciate it.
We do need to get a list of those who will be attending so for those of you who want to attend, please post that you will be attending and how many people will be in your party. I'll edit my first post and put you all down as attendees. : - )
We'll post food and plant trades on other threads. If they aren't set up when I get home (made sticky's), I'll take care of it then. No worries, but please post soon so we know how many folks will be attending.
As always my thanks for your help.
BTW, it's raining here, and has been off and on during our vacation, but when it's not it's breath takingly beautiful. The natives are friendly, but the tourists aren't very polite. That's how you can
tell the difference. LOL!
I guess the secret to using the internet around here is to get up before everyone else and use the 'puter while they still be sleeping.
Today DH wants to take our sons up to see the volcanoes. It's gonna be a long day. : - )
And I need to start waking up the family so we can get started.
More soon!
Walk In Beauty~
SingingWolf

Just wanted to let you know that in the other building I asked for prayers for
Sandi. So many are praying now and I will keep them updated on her progress.

Wow, a nice trip to Hawaii, that's awesome!. Isn't it wonderful that no matter where you are you can talk to friends on the Internet, this technology still amazes me.

Now, to figure out what I can bring to RU. I really hope we have a nice day.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sami,
It's even more amazing who've we know from home that we've run into here!
I'll tell you more at the RU.
Gosh I miss you all, and I do thank you for passing on the need for SIL to get
some prayer help. Bless you my dear friend. : - )
WIB~
SW

I will be attending and bringing my granddaughter and mom. My granddaughter is three and loves to smell flowers and to be outside. She will love this.

Costa Mesa, CA(Zone 10b)

Hi everyone! I've been using the DG website for research for years, but never did any posting or joining till now.I logged on today to look for landscape ideas (hardly a day goes by when I'm not mentally rearranging, digging up, or adding to my gardens!!) and noticed that you're all talking about a roundup. It sounds like fun, but I'm pretty unclear on exactly what a roundup is. Looks like it involves food and plant swapping. Is there anything else I should know? Think I'd like to join you this year. :-)

I live in Costa Mesa, which has a great climate for gardening. I'm like the Goldilocks of gardeners - I'm an ocean girl, but living near the ocean doesn't make for good gardening. After moving to the OC years ago it took a while to get it right. Lived in Corona del Mar but had to move after we went one entire summer without the sun ever breaking through the marine layer. Then Newport Beach, which was slightly better, then Orange, which was way too hot in summer and fried tender plants. Costa Mesa is the Baby Bear of gardening climates - it's juuuuust right. I get the smell of salt water, but since we're on a higher elevation (costa MESA, right?) the fog doesn't often creep all the way up here. That lets me plant the kind of things I like - plants that work two jobs. They have to either produce fruit or flowers for bouquets, or to smell really, really special. No "landscape" plants are allowed. Guess that makes me a specimen gardener.

Right now I'm rooting a couple of Charles Grimaldi angel trumpet cuttings from my trees. CGs are the best angel trumpets of all - heady, sensuous fragrance and near-continuous blooming throughout the year. I could bring those to a Round Up if, as I suspect, swapping is part of the fun. Right now I also have queen's tears pups, and could probably snip a few cuttings from my epiphyllum hookeri.

Well, that's more than enough about me! (From the sheer volume of my words, maybe you can guess that yes, I write for a living!) Please let me know about the Roundup!

Oh - my name is Cindy, by the way. My "mulberrygrrl" handle refers to the combination of my maiden and married names, and my sweet memories of spending summers up the mulberry tree (in Encinitas), picking fruit for my mother to bake me a pie. (Oftentimes I even managed to get enough into my mom's hands before eating them!)

Cheers to all you California gardeners - glad to meet you!

Cindy

Crossville, TN

Welcome, Cindy....You will LOVE the RU...said by the Grandmother of Round Ups...I'm just hoping I can make this one again. Hope to meet you there! Jo

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Jo,
We will find a way to get you to the RU. : - )
Welcome Cindy! : - )
My DH says I have a tendency to talk too much and you'll be in good company. Lots of shared interests in our "gang of gardeners". LOL!
Maybe you can give me some tips on getting my Angel Trumpet to bloom. I'll beg for a cutting too, or trade you something, I have growing. You like specimen plants that will grow well in Costa Mesa or plants that you can make bouquets out of. Hmmm.
I'm a zone pusher and I'll give it some thought. : - )
I plan on starting a new thread when I get home on plant trades, so we can try to get it straight. One suggestion, if you are providing a plant for someone, please put that person's name on it so it doesn't walk off with someone else by accident. Extra's can be labeled as extras, and we'll have a special area set aside for them plants. Reduces confusion that way.
Don't worry Cindy, going to a RU is more fun than swinging on a swing under Gma Oak, and is as easy as riding your bike. Always a fun time.
Just don't expect me to make decent coffee now that weegy can't come. LOL!
monkeymomr, your Mom and G.daughter are welcome and will enjoy the outing. Especially the swings under G.ma Oak tree. : - )
Got to go, for now, the kids and I are sharing my laptop, but they have to carry it for me through the airports. LOL! : - )
Be home again on Sunday, and will probably take me a day or three to recover from the trip. : - (
It'll be good to be home again, as much as I'm enjoying new experiences and going on photo safari's, I really miss my own bed.
Walk In Beauty~
SingingWolf

Welcome Cindy. This will be my first RU too. I just told my GD about the swings and she wants to go right now. LOL.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Grandmother Oak seems to have that effect on kids of all ages. : - )
Okay, I'm home, and resting from the actual traveling. I am a small person, but
still hate being crammed in a flying sardine can. Sigh.
It's been raining! Boy are the weeds getting tall!
I'm glad we got the rain but I do think my Wisteria is jumping the gun by blooming
this early.
QG, you were right about the hay lot. It does look nice, even though that's not exactly
where I thought it would be. It'll do.
Got to go for now,
WIB~
SW

Costa Mesa, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

SingingWolf - you can't get your brug to bloom? What kind is it? I stuck mine in the ground and it took off like Jack's beanstalk. Not sure if I've seen it bloom-less in its seven-year life. (I attached a photo to show what it looks like all though summer.) Cuttings have sprouted and bloomed easily too. And the only fertilizer it's ever had is merely overspray from the narcissus and alstromerium growing at its feet. Is yours in the ground? Might get too cold there. Just sprout a new one and see if that works - you should see a 5-6-footer within a year, methinks. If you want, I can mail you one; I have some just setting root now. Let me know.

Roundup sounds like lots of fun. I'll just watch for details.

Thumbnail by Mulberrygrrl
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Mulberrygrrl,
I don't know what I'm doing right or wrong with the poor Angel's trumpet. I water it and let it go dry between waterings, and once fertilized it, but didn't get a single bloom last year. Sigh. It's a nice white one. Not a pretty peach one. It's also in a pot so I can move into the gh for winter. We're just a tad colder here than you usually are.
The ones in HI grow as big as trees, and come in lots of colors. : - )
I'm thinking it's the humidity. I still have to download them photos.
I am going to see my SIL today. I'll update the prayer list when I get back, but things are looking better for her. She is sitting up and they are weaning her off the O2. She is learning how to speak with the tracheotomy hole in her neck, but from what I've heard, everything seems to be improving slowly. Please keep them prayers coming. She likes the cards too. : - )
I hope you can make it to the RU Mulberrygrrl. Please let me know for sure. I'll be editing the names of the attendees as the time gets closer.
About a week before the event, I will send a blast (group D-mail) to those folks who will be attending the RU, which is why it's important to let me know if you are coming. The "Blast" gives directions to the folks who've said they will attending, on how to find us.
Thanks for everyone's help, seems like the RU practically runs itself. : - )
Let me edit the attendees to date, and please let me know if I made any mistakes. The number in parenthesis is how many will be in your party.
Hope to get the plant trade thread for the RU set up tomorrow.
Walk In Beauty~
SingingWolf

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Great to meet you Cindy. My name is Lynda and I live near SingingWolf. I too am a beach/coastal girl at heart and considering where I now live, I laughed at you finding Orange too hot!! I used to live in the South Bay, specifically Lomita and San Pedro. In San Pedro I overlooked Catalina Island and God sent his air conditioning each day around 2PM. No need to have the mechanical version in your house. Everything grew there in my neighbor's yards. I would see pine trees, cactus, gardenias, bougainvillas, fruit trees, roses, etc. I had a very small yard and was not much into gardening then, but everything grew. When I moved out here (with east county San Diego in between) I was at Lowes trying to select plants and the guy laughed with me and said on the coast you could just throw a plant in your garden and it would grow, but out here you needed to WORK at being a gardener. Oh, and AC is mandatory during our 100+ summers/fall, I even broke a thermometer putting it in the sun.

That all being said, that weather thing could easily be the problem SW is having with her Angel Trumpets. The first time I went to a RU I received a shared start for one from someone from San Diego who waxed poetic about how easy they were to grow. Indeed photos online and in a magazine article of her garden showed it to be quite lush. But my start did not make it. But then again, I feel like between killer frost and bone dry heat with winds, gardening is a three step forward one step backward activity. Not to mention when my DH lets horses out to roam wherever they want (but then again that is a whole other story). SW does really push the zone thing and her greenhouse helps (she grows bananas in there!). Out here, if you are on property, I think it is best to have a small area to designate as a garden because to attempt to landscape and maintain a whole property would be a monumental task in effort and finances.

Looking forward to seeing you next month.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

So true QG, but you know me. I'll never stop pushing zones. LOL!
I am working on my native plant garden too, and hope to get good photos and good ID's on everything.
I realized while on our trip that we don't have a native plant garden in our area. Besides, I was the one out rescuing the Lupine seed from where the new Wal-mart is going to be built. LOL!
I am trying to collect the native wildflower seeds locally, but I've found that some were "loved to death", and I'm grateful that I can re-introduce them from other sources.
Glad we had a bit of a shower last night. Everything went well at the City Zoning Meeting last night too.
They won't be planting any more houses along our stretch of the main road. : - )
Please, if you are reading this and are interested in coming to our RU, let me know by posting your user name and how many will be attending in your group. I am looking forward to meeting everyone.
Also please check that I've added your name to the first post and have the info correct. I plan on adding more as I get confirmations.
WIB~
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Please put me down for two, SW, and no '?', lol.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Here is the D-mail I sent out to over 100 DG members in SoCal, both paid and not members. LOL, I concentrated on locations around here and around where Jo could possibly be picked up (around Imperial Beach, around Lakeside where the Mud Run will be and around Oceanside where the train could be taken to).

This D-Mail was a Group Blast to one of quiltygirl's group. Your replies to this D-Mail will only be seen by quiltygirl.

Hi, my name is Lynda, aka quiltygirl.

We are having a California Round Up to get together and share our company, have good eats, and swap plants, seeds and whatever else members bring to share with others (one year there was a rooster). Sometimes there is a speaker or someone shares a craft.

Singingwolf and her DH will be hosting us at their Farm in Menifee (SW Riverside County). The day is Saturday April 14th and we sure would like to meet more Dave's Garden members. You will find information over in the California Forum http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1240214/ If you are not a paid member and cannot access this Forum (as was my problem my first year), please feel free to D-mail me for info, sign up, or any questions.

Please come on over to the thread and say hi and give us your ideas. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. Happy Gardening, Cooking or whatever else your interest may be that brought you to DG.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

As Columbo would say, one more thing. SW, I thought the bigger issue was the widening of Scott Rd and not that more houses could even be built. I have read where they would like to limit growth in Meneifee so it does not burgeon like say, Murrieta. I have noticed on the Temecula signs, as you are going over their border, that their population looks like it has gone down.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

QG,
Nice message to the nearer DG members, QG. I just feel so grateful that you where there to pick up the slack and I don't think I could have said it any better than you did. : - )
It's inevitable that Scott Rd. will be widened. It's just a matter of when they'll have the money to do the job. We already have too many unoccupied houses in our part of the county, it's become a concern to the new city. We need tax revenues to bring infrastructure improvements, and someday an overpass over the freeway. Most of the folks who brought property along Scott are long time residents who just enjoy working from their homes. They mind their own business, give a helping hand when needed and basically are good hard working Taxpayers.
Given the nature of the area, I think we should be modeling our city and what it will become on what is going on in the Norco/Corona area. More people in CA own horses, than any other State. A lot of them live here in Riverside County. I think they should build equestrian estates instead of McMansions.
Then again I'd rather plant trees than houses in the first place. : - )
Sorry to have digressed, if anyone is still interested we can discuss this topic at the RU.
I'll fix the question mark, but thought you'd giggle about it, glad to see ya did. : - )
WIB~
SW

Menifee, CA

Hi SingingWolf,

My name is Jules of JulesGarden4B. I'm new to DG and live in Menifee, CA off Garboni Rd between Scott and Craig. I see that you will be hosting the Sat April 14th CA RU and would like to offer up my volunteer services to you. I am best contacted via my email address on my homepage at http://www.GlitzyGardenDecor.com website which has garden decor and patio party supplies. I launched my new webstore business the week after Christmas 2011 and have lots of new upcoming product, supplies, recipes, tips and other info to share.

Kindly contact me to connect and let's discuss how I can serve your needs for coordinating and getting the RU ready for all the wonderful DG members that wish to attend. i look forward to hearing from you, and hope your Spring is beautiful, your day terrific and make your outdoor space a "Glitzy Garden" place! ;O)

Thumbnail by JulesGarden4B Thumbnail by JulesGarden4B
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Welcome Jules,
Please read your Dmail. Sorry I wasn't able to send it to the other addy. : - (
I'm looking forward to meeting you too. : - )
How many will be in your party? I'd like to update the attendees above. : - )
Sounds like you have a lot going on, and hopefully you'll have some ideas to share with us. Those are some really nice photos. Did you take them?
I still need to get that plant trade thread started up, and then ask Terry to make them both stickies.
And I'd better do it before I run out of energy.
Be checking in later on.
Walk In Beauty~
SingingWolf

hi everyone. SW- there's going to be five in my party.
I want to remind everyone that the thread to sign up for the pot luck has started and want to encourage everyone to post their goodies they will be bringing. Thanks.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks monkeymomr. I'll fix it. I need to get that link attached to this thread and get the plant trade thread up too.
Can't wait to see you all. : - )
WIB~
SW

Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Everyone! Thanks for the invitation. I'd love to join the RU. Haven't been to one in a really long time. Put me down for 2 please. I will plan to come but do have to double check on one thing before confirming. What time to you plan to start / end the RU? I ask because the Ramona Garden club is having their annual Garden Tour on April 28th and I believe there is a meeting on 4/14.

BTW - If you're interested in the Tour - here's the link: home http://ramonagardenclub.com/events-2.html

Wow, the tour looks like fun. Where's Romona?

Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

MM - Ramona is a small town northeast of San Diego.

Thumbnail by TLeaves

There will be 2 of us and really looking forward to meeting new gardening friends. Hi Jules from Glitzy Garden, so close to our hosts too. It was 88 degrees here today, hope we have some great weather for the RU.

Palm Desert, CA(Zone 11)

Hi everyone! I am Karen, and I can't wait to meet you all at the roundup. I am a newbie, though, and still finding my way around this DG site. Where do I find the info on the potluck and trading? Thanks~~

Thumbnail by tchrkare Thumbnail by tchrkare Thumbnail by tchrkare
Palm Desert, CA(Zone 11)

Hey folks~~ Found the potluck sign-up. I will be bringing something tasty...I am really looking forward to th RU. Hoping to bring a 2nd person as well, if that's OK. So I may be +1, for those who count these things! Happy gardening to all!! Karen

Thumbnail by tchrkare

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.