November Orchid Blooms Make Us Thankful

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Carol, it would be very worth it to ship at a flat rate price and bare root all the stock. You'd have to repot, but what the hey?

I also got a Bulbo paluense x echinolabium. Mine is not labeled A-doribil though. It was in bud when I got it yesterday but opened this morning. The flower is over 6" long with those "tails". It is a sequential bloomer so the next flower is already forming. I might lose the spike because of the temp changes though.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2011 9:03 PM

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

A profile.

A close up.

Gastrochilus dasypogon is in full bloom now. The third spike aborted, as expected. There's a dime to help show flower size scale.

Jim gave me this gorgeous Acampe. There are only about ten species in this genus. It looks like a vertical Bonsai version of an orchid. The flowers are gorgeous and ranging up the plant but my close up photos were not good today. It is awesomely fragrant and perfumed our trip home. So nice.

Beallara Tropic Tom is ridiculously loaded with flowers on only one spike. I need to do a flower count and take a photo that shows all the flowers. Finally got a couple of decent pics though.

The last photo shows only about half the flowers on that spike. They are so fragrant. I have that one parked on the right side between the aisle of the greenhut and Jim's beautiful smelling Acampe on the left. Wow! As the Beallara flowers opened they weighed down the spike more and more 'til they are now right at my nose line. Here is a close up of the flowers.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

You sure got some lovely additions to the family there, Jim. A box of 'Little Stars' for gifts, how perfect!

As usual I have questions - some of your new beauties seem to be in plastic pots with no air holes. Do you re-pot them as soon as they finish blooming? I'm amazed that so many orchids come from growers in those non-porous pots.

I hope you have the names of the various growers you visited? I'm definitely going to try to come along next time there's an Apopka trip. Meantime, my DH says there is a golf weekend coming up in Orlando and with my gimpy knee, I'm darn sure I can't play more than nine holes, so will get to go scout out some orchids in Apopka then. Not nearly so much fun on my own, but if I know a few places you and Laurel went, that will help to keep me out of trouble.

Elaine

But wait! That's not all. Here's a photo of Jim's Acampe gift plant...

Elaine, Jim will tell you I am the worst enabler you can imagine. We visit the same three vendors each time but that should be off line because they are not necessarily always open to the public. There are places in the area you can cruise over to. I've not been to Odom but they used to be huge and we pass by their GHs every time we are there.

A note to all who have questions about growing...I'd be happy to try and answer culture questions when time allows. Please post questions as separate threads because it's difficult to read and remember (or go back to) everything on one thread. It may take a bit longer to get noticed by other posters but someone will be more likely to respond with advice if you post your questions as separate threads. Don't be nervous about throwing out questions even if you have experience. We have all been there. When posters ask questions in the monthly thread they tend to get lost in the incoming posts but if it's their own thread they are free standing until answered. Also, making questions a separate thread helps folks locate information more readily. That said, TG is looming and everyone is probably a bit compromised for the next week. Thanks.

This is Vanda Manuvadee, a five generation hybrid, crossed with Fuch's Delight. Just starting to open but the flowers are coming on all at once. The Manuvadee is the purple/blue component and Fuch's Delight is more red.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2011 7:34 PM

I dragged it into the solarium this afternoon for a quick pic.

north coast nsw, Australia

plantsforpeg- if you haven't repotted it in years i'd do it once the flowers have finished and put most of its roots back in its pot. Or you could mount it.
Wow jim great plants you bought.
Im loving the colour of my Zygo. (first flowering seedling)...have a few more to flower yet.

Thumbnail by breeindy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I agree, Bree, great color on that Zygo.

Jim

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Sharry Baby along with (tag says) Wils Castle Issa "Hilo Bay".
Both have multiple bloom shoots and seems to be another starting every other week. They will be blooming for quite awhile.

I'm always amazed when any of mine bloom as I'm often not the best "Mom" to my babies.

Thumbnail by Qwilter

Wils. is an abbrev. for Wilsonaria. It's a three way cross between Cochlioda, Odontoglossum and Oncidium. Very pretty.

Bree, I love the color of your Zygo too. That lime green really pops!

Thanks........................I really didn't know just what "she" was other than pretty.

qwilter- my sharry has a big spike on it as well, takes forever to get flowers and open so i wont be holding my breath for it. hehe!
Still have my maudiae Paph open and going strong.

Thumbnail by breeindy
Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Here's the first bloom on Jeweled Ludisia. On a cold and rainy day in SoCal.

You guys sure seem to have made a haul. Everything is so good lookin'

Thumbnail by ted5310
Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Jim and Laurel, that's quite a haul! Congratulations on the new children. Jim, you SCORED on those Dendrobiums. They look mature and healthy. By the way, my Bc Maikai has 2 spikes right now...with 4-5 buds on each. I've never been able to track when it might bloom...seems totally random...so be prepared for some welcomed surprises. :o)

Love the beallara, Laurel! I've got one (Howard's Dream), but haven't gotten it to bloom yet. I keep my fingers crossed.

Ted, I used to grow a few ludisias, but they'd only survive if I kept them in a terrarium. Their tiny flowers are always nice to see...towering above the plants.

Bree, that zygo looks like it would glow in the dark! And I understand about waiting for buds to open. I've got an Onc. Twinkle that will supposedly spike, but can take up to 6 months for the tiny buds to open! Orchids aren't for the impatient, are they?

We were in the mid-seventies today so after a marathon of TG shopping at three markets I donned mask, sleeves, gloves and sweats to spray one last time before winter sets in for good. I'd not be so compulsive if it were not that I've repeatedly found these bad worms in orchids brought back from FL. Also, someone gave me a fancy Den. a while back that they had no luck with and then I discovered why...scale. That and the 80% humidity that is currently happening necessitates intervention.

Bree, I think that Maudiae would be considered a concolor as species Maudiaes are white with green stripes. Very pretty.

Ted, I'm with Scott about maintaining Ludisias long term. They are a tricky. Good looking! BTW, Scott, I had flowers in my hands for the TG table and then said, "Why am I buying flowers when I've got orchids blooming?" So the centerpiece will be the Beallara and I've got Oncidium Gold Dust opening which is a golden yellow version of Twinkle.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

The Ludisia is in a place that is staying outside in the cold. We had a snap in the 40's last week and they came thru just fine. In fact it seems to be growing rather quickly. Go figure. Now it looks like lows in the 40's for the next few weeks. We'll see what happens. I have some cuttings in the garage for safety

BTW, I'll try and get a pic of the plant. It's about 12-13" across

This message was edited Nov 21, 2011 10:00 PM

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I took a walk around the lanai/greenhouse yesterday to see what was in bloom. This ia Bc Binosa 'Key Lime'.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

One of my favorites C. (gaskelliana X lawrenceana) X L. purpurata.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The queen of floof, Blc Chia Lin 'New City'

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Brassia Memoria Fritz Boedeker 'Witch Doctor' at its peak.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

It's a great time of year for Spathoglottis Plicata.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Lc Warneri - purpurata 'Brazilian' X B. nodosa has put out two new blooms.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Finally, Lc Irene's Song. This is a huge bloom.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

I really like the ones with the "long hair" - Brassia Memoria Fritz Boedeker 'Witch Doctor'

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Laurel, your orchids should make the perfect holiday centerpiece! I cut some dendrobium spikes, and they seem to last just as long in water, so I bring them upstairs to enjoy. I wish there was a list of which types of orchids can be used as cut flowers. By the way, that Den. lindleyi is NOT getting the cool-down you recommended, because it's been mild (even warm) here. We are hovering around 80-degree days recently, with nights in the upper 50's to lower 60's. We'll see how long I can leave it outside to get the chill it needs. Orchids aren't the only things "confused" right now, as I have hydrangeas and daylilies trying to bloom...and lots of bulbs jumping like it's springtime...allium, rock garden iris, monsella tulips, etc. Unseasonable, to say the least!

Jim, great show! That Lc. Warneri has such striking blooms. I broke-down and ordered a bare-root spathoglottis plant online (no ID, but with purple flowers). I figure if I'm successful with phaius orchids, these should work too...

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

These are just gorgeous. Jim, it would be hard for me to pass up some of those you brough home. Wish I had to opportunity to attend a trip to Akopo????.

Thanks, dyzzy and bree for getting back to me. I appreciate the tips.

It's always a challenge to start from the beginning (a pup) and see it progress into bloom.

Are vandas the orchids that have the long roots? That is amazing.

Really nice Jim, and the pot looks great with the Spath.. Lc. Warneri x gets my vote.

Scott, you don't need to be cooling and drying off until sometime after TG. Just be slowing down on the water. Truthfully my collection of Dens is so large now that I should color tag the ones that need the cool dry treatment. I remember killing one by mistake a few years ago. (

Brassavola cordata, the smaller cousin of B. nodosa.

yes my mistake Laurel i guess my paph would be a maudiae coloratum.
Love Irenes song jim.

Dendrobium pachyphyllum came to live in the greenhut a year ago. It was from my favorite species junk table. After a repotting and TLC it did a major turn around. Then I burned the crud out of it last March. Now recovered, it is blooming away.

Bree, Paph. maudiae has forever been one of my favorite orchids.

Anywhoo, here are a few more pics of Den. pachyphyllum. The flowers pop out of these little dried up looking tufts on top.

The flower reminds me of a queen with her crown and high collared cloak. It was warm enough to trot her outside for a sky shot.

Last one before everyone falls asleep...

A very delicate Pleurothallis mathildae with three spikes. I grow Pleuros and other high humidity loving orchids with a bit of live sphagnum. This little one came from Andy last May.

A close up. This one just bloomed a few months ago.

About Jim's spidery looking Brassia; people find this flower's shape intriguing. What is more intriguing though is why it is shaped that way. It has evolved this fascinating spider shape because its pollinator is a type of hunter wasp. The hunter wasp grabs its spider prey and repeatedly stings the victim, then drags the paralyzed spider off to its lair to feed its young. The Brassia's shape mimics a spider to attract the hunter wasp. When the wasp grabs the flower and starts stinging the flower its head is buried in the flower so that the pollinia stick to the top of its head. When it moves away, after its unsuccessful experience. to the next "spider" with the pollinia attached to its head it then pollinates the next one and so on. Orchids are often the subject of scientific study because many have evolved to resemble either the mate or the prey of their pollinators. This is known as entomophily.

There will be a test on this next week

This message was edited Nov 22, 2011 11:02 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.