November Orchid Blooms Make Us Thankful

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Just use a concrete drill bit.

Jim

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes, I do have a couple of those. Think I'll have to give that a try this weekend. I'd like to re-pot before it is too cold to do it outside.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Terra cotta is pretty fragile, though. You might want to test your technique on some broken pieces or an old pot first, just to get the 'feel' of it. I think a multi-tool with a cutting disk might be a better bet than drilling, but maybe test both methods?

Some types of plastic pots drill just fine, too. I made big planters out of waste baskets that I got at IKEA for $1.99. Just drilled a bunch of holes around the base and in the bottom for drainage, and they're great! They'll take spray paint, too. (makes them last longer in the sun) I've used cheap plastic salad bowls for pond plant containers, too.

Elaine

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I would be interested in making my own orchid pots/baskets. That will have to go on my bucket list for next summer if I decide to retire. Can't make up my mind. Not use to living on less money.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I have a pile of used pots to "experiment" on.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

So my family is in town visiting from Canada, and we 'did' Selby Gardens (again) today. I have lots of interesting pictures, and even some names for the gorgeous orchids we saw, but this one did not have a tag.

Anybody got an idea what/who the heck this is?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Qwilter,I've drilled and cut Terra Cotta and you really need to do some practice. I ruined a lot of pots. getting the feel, like Elaine said, is the only way I can describe it. And keep in mind that all terra pots are NOT alike. Some will be tougher than others. Has to do with the original clay mix and the drying. When you play around you will get that feel for it. It's easy and its nice to see a pot you like and know you can customize it for whatever the plant likes. I also use a diamond bit to drill holes in the bottom of ceramics. Lynda is always at the second hand stores picking interesting pieces up. I have a drill press, so it's a little easier. I don't use water with Terra but always with any diamond bit and fired ceramic. Of course now that I am trying to make my own they will be made with holes.
I've never used a kick wheel Laurel, but it seems like you would have more control. Then again it could get a little tiring. lol I have on my list to try hand building. I am going to see if, with all the colors of stains, glazes, underglazes, etc. that I can't make the pot the color of the blooms of the plant I'll put in it, think it would be neat.
Peg, you may want to try out you're local adult education . At least here we have a number of schools that teach. But the studios that teach can get a little pricey. Our class runs from 7 -10 PM once a week. Includes use of all the equipment, glazes, etc and firing. Most of the clay is in the $5-7 range. Of course the porcelains, like Laurel's daughter uses are a bit higher and can go to $25 and more. Those prices are for 25 lbs. Our tuition is a $2 registration fee(Because we're old we get a break off the $10 fee) and base of $45 for 13 weeks. School sells the clay and tools. Starter kit of tools was only 7 bucks

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

There were some lovely ground orchids outside the greenhouse with much bigger flowers than mine. Again no name =-(

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Elaine,
Bulbophyllum medusae . I was just looking at one on-line earlier this evening. Timing is everything. It's in DG plant files
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/92620/

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

This one actually was named for - guess who?? Marie Selby!

Cattleya pattinii cv. Marie Selby

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow, thanks Ted. What an excellent name for that pretty, hairy thing!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

These had a lovely graceful shape, and also a pretty 'posture', I thought.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
north coast nsw, Australia

Is the ground orchid a Spathoglottis and the last a encylia?

Marco Island, FL(Zone 10b)

I have a lot of orchid pots-- the good ones as well as other pots. Have promised some to one of the posters on this site, but believe I have more than enough to go around. When we get back from the cruise I'll post again and see if anyone still needs the orchid ones.
Happy Thanksgiving to All!
Debi

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Ted for the heads up on the classes. What reasonable prices and very interesting. There are senior adult classes offered in the nearby (30 mi. away) city. I'll have to call and see if they offer pottery classes.

I wanted to take a pic of my orchid and ask if it should be reportted be forgot. Should I trim off all the old dead roots. It has about 4 new shoots or roots coming up. They are growing upwards like a stem instead of downwards like roots. It's a Phal. if I remember correctly.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Peg, here's a picture of my variegated phal with both roots and shoots (flower spikes) going up. The shiny ones going to the left are all roots. They start out a shiny dark green, with those brownish pointy ends on them. As they age a bit they get that silvery sheen on them. Going up to the right are two flower spikes, both bright green. One is about 4in. long and the other is not quite an inch.

In the opinion of this newbie, if your phal has flower spikes, you should not re-pot until the flowers are finished. If it has flowered fairly recently and is finished now, you could re-pot it safely. But from what I've learned, just because the plant is putting up aerial roots doesn't mean it needs a new pot. Jim showed a pic of one of his that really looked like it was climbing out of the pot, but he says it was still ok. I think it's when the growing medium is breaking down that you need to re-pot. And yes, when you do, you should cut off dead roots, and also remove all the old growing medium.

Elaine ps. our mentors Jim and Laurel are shopping up in Apopka, which from what I've heard is a theme park for orchid addicts.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Dyzzy. Mine is puttig out new roots. I have had it in the same pot for about 3 years and thought it may need to be repotted since it rocks in the pot and isn't stable. I think it bloomed in June and don't expect any more blooms until next summer. I appreciate your patience in explaining what's going on.

I am looking for Dyna-grow Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 for another project I am working on. Any leads on purchasing on line. Everything I find has mega shipping costs. I know this fertilizer can be used on orchids, but I will be using it on other plants too.

Thumbnail by plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Second view of same plant. One leaf looks dried out, but is still green. I did leave part of the bloom stem on so I could clip it to the stake in the pot and keep it steady.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2011 6:15 PM

Thumbnail by plantsforpeg
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Peg, I googled your fertilizer and found it on Amazon.com for $23 for a quart. I am a member of Amazon Prime so the shipping would be free. If you order much stuff from Amazon, their Prime program sure is worthwhile.

Your phal looks pretty happy to me, other than coming out of the pot. The bark in the pot looks like it's not in bad shape. But you could tip it out to check - they told me if there's anything in the pot that looks like dirt, that's rotting bark or moss, and you should repot.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I spent a wonderful day with Laurel and Steve orchid shopping in Apopka. 11 new babies followed me home but I'm too tired now to sort through and inventory. I'll have more tomorrow.

Jim

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Waiting with baited breath!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We just got home and put the 'chids to bed. I'm 'zausted too. Don't know if I'll be much good here this week. DD is coming home to join us for a family TG. I'm the chef.

It was great to see our buddy, Jim. We have a rhythm going when orchid hunting. It's also great to see our favorite growers and get a warm welcome each time we visit. Wish we all had more time to spend together. Sorry others could not join us. Jim had appointments in the afternoon and we had a seven hour drive back to Atlanta. It was seventy two when we left Apopka and thirty nine when we got home.

I'm sleeping in tomorrow!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

It is impossible for me to go to Apopka without getting a vanda or two. This picture shows three of my latest acquisitions. From right to left: V. Boonchoo X V. Tubtim Velvet: V. Khao Lak X Thailand Gold; and Stanhopea tricornis.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm a sucker for this form and color. This is C. (gaskelliana X lawrenceana) X L. purpurata.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And the plant.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I picked up a couple of Bulbos. The first is Bulb. paluence 'A-doribil' X Bulb echinolabium. It is in spike and is a large plant.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The second is in bloom and is called Bulb. Doris Dukes 'Dark Red' X Bulb. longissimum.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

A closer look. The tails on the blooms are 10 inches long.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I found a couple of big floofy Catts that I couldn't pass up. The first is Blc Chunyeah 'Tzeng Wen' AM/AOS.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And a look at the complete plant.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This one has no ID but the plant and bloom are beautiful and for $8, what the heck.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Check out the size of the plant.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I also picked up a couple of NOID Dendrobiums for $4 each. The plants are large and healthy.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Once again, check out the size and quality of the plant.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is the second Dendrobium.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The second plant is much like the first.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Not in bloom or spike but a very nice looking plant, this is Bc Maikai.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

If all that wasn't enough, Sweetie Laurel gave me a cutting from Dendrobium anceps. I hope I can get it to take.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

My friend, Harriet, asked if I could pick up a few Bc Little Star orchids for her to use as Christmas gifts. Here is a box full, in bloom, that I bought for $8 each. What a deal.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Great haul, Jim!!! I'm especially fond of that first Catt, and the pale pink Den. If I didn't know the shipping would override those cheap prices, I'd have you shop for me next time you go. Beautiful plants!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.