November Orchid Blooms Make Us Thankful

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We are having connectivity issue tonight but I did photograph a mini tutorial on Bulbo mounting and will make it a separate thread if anyone is interested. It might take a bit to load.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh no, a test!!!!!

You need to write a book. I'd buy a couple copies. I have so much to learn about Orchids.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Further what Laurel is explaining...another fascinating example is how a type of moth pollenates an orchid called Angreacum sesquipedale. It's an interesting read about how both the pollenator and its subject co-evolved, if you look it up online.

Great job with the tutorial, Laurel. Wouldn't it be neat if DG could accommodate video clips for that purpose? Oh, and I need to know the DAY of the test, so I can be out "sick" that morning. ;o)

Scott, you are too funny! Is it gonna be your stomach or your throat? I have Angreacum sesquipedale in spike now but lost last year's spike. Hold your breath. They do like it hot and steady and as you know the temps are all over the place. The greenhut has been open for two days but now the heaters are back on.

Glad you enjoyed the tutorial. I'll add different mounting media and methods to that when time permits. The Bulbo cutting had a spike on it that goes along with the entomophily story. Hope I don't loose it in the transplant. It looks like a weird, slightly torpedo shaped mass about two inches long and one inch thick. The mass is comprised of minute flowers and as the flowers open it goes from a brownish color to a more liver color. The flowers smell like rotten flesh. Many Bulbos have that unpleasant odor because they are pollinated by flies. This one looks like a lump of rotten meat when in full bloom but the tiny, individual flowers are charming if you hold your nose when you get up close. Now back to the turkey gizzards. lol

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Wonderful show, Laurel, and I have looked through the tutorial but need to go through it again. I was on a bus trip yesterday with the local orchid club and brought 10 more babies home with me. I now need to get organized and post. I'll start working on that now.

Jim

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Jim, where will you put any more. I saw them hanging around the pool in a prior post. What a great idea. Do you ever put some for sale on DG's market place.

Laurel, I would love to see the video. I'll Dmail you.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Always room for another orchid, Peg. :>)

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, I have been at it again. Yesterday, The Tampa Orchid Club charted a bus to visit three orchids growers near Myakka City, Florida. We left Tampa at 9:00 and arrived again about 4:30 PM. I had to rush as I had choir practice at 6:30 and it is in the other direction. Anyway, no big price breaks on this trip as I think they saw us coming. Even so, 10 new babies followed me home. Let me know what you think.

The first is a bamboo orchid with an unusually large flower form the big island of Hawaii. It is called Aurundina graminisolia. It is about 3 feet tall and in spike.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The second one is Epidendrum Lime Drop X Epidendrum schomburgkii. It is also about three feet tall and in bloom.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

A closer look at the blooms.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The third is a first of its kind for me. It is about 18 inches tall and in spike. They call it Epilaeliocattleya (Epic.) Volcano Trick Fireball. No, I'm not making this up. :>)

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The fourth one is Epicattleya (Epc.) Lime Sherbert X Bc. Little Stars. It is about 10 inches tall and has two lovely blooms.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is a winner for those who like green flowers.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The fifth is Bllra. Marfitch 'Howard's Dream' AM/AOS. It is another three footer with a big spike containing flowers and buds.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Climate wise, this may be the most difficult one for me to grow. I'll probably have to bring it into the AC in the summer.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The sixth is one I have been looking for for a while. It is Onc. Psychopsis Mendenhall alba 'Yellow Butterfly'. It's in spike with a fat bud and stands about 14 inches tall.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Jim, I bet you'll love that first Eplc! Yours being in bud already, I'll look forward to your pictures. You're going to have a big cluster of hot red and yellow color. It's definitely named appropriately, and that's a happy looking plant. I have one in sheath right now, but if I'm not mistaken it takes a long while to spike for me. Yours has a headstart...

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

That bud is about to explode and I can't wait.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

How can you not love number seven? It is B. nodosa X C. netrasiri. It is about 9 inches tall and in bloom.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

How could I not fall in love with this flower?

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Number Eight is another new one for me. It is a Cymbidiella rhodochila (species). It is 16 inches tall but no spike yet. I think Laurel will be proud of me for landing this one.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Number nine is a big Stanhopea Ronsard (Wardii X Oculata).

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Last but not least is a huge Epi Pacific Vista X self.

Let me say here, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Number seven is the BOMB! Happy TG back atcha.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Jim, you're runn
ing amok! You got some monsters there! At least you won't have to cart them to the garage this year. LOL! I'm having a serious case of greenhouse/lanai envy here.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Hey, Jim. What I said earlier about Eplc. Volcano Trick 'Fireball'...I did an inspection this morning and looking through the sheath with light shining through it, I do have buds forming after all. So I'm about a month behind you, but at least I know flowers are coming. I'm pleasantly surprised how well things are doing under florescent lights.

I know, I know. Finish the mac-n-cheese and get on the interstate! :o)

Hope everybody's having a wonderful Thanksgiving with those they love. God's peace...

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Scott. I'm looking forward to seeing mine bloom and will post a pic post haste. Here is why I am so excited about the Cymbidiella rhodochila:
http://brookside-orchids.com/item.php?id=27

Jim

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

What lovely pics to end a Happy Thanksgiving.

Jim, you out did yourself. I can see that smile from ear to ear.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, I am smiling. Brassavola David Sander, my favorite orchid, opened for me today. Here is a Thanksgiving gift for all of us.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And one more for dessert.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And I have to show you this Catt picture.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
north coast nsw, Australia

ohhh love that cat. jim!
Cymbidium madidum...

Thumbnail by breeindy
Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Jim, when you mention having to bring that Beallara indoors, do you do that with all your oncidium-type orchids when it gets hot out? I've watched several oncidiums pout their way through the dog-days of summer outdoors...but they always seem to recover once it cools back down. BUT, I've owned 2 Beallaras that dropped dead, too. I now have a 'Howard's Dream' seedling plant, but haven't bloomed it yet. With it reaching 100 here in summer, would you just suggest just growing it indoors? Your 'Howard's Dream' has great flowers - they always seem big compared to most oncidiums to me. Thanks as always...and I hope you're making some progress finding a home for all those new children. :o)

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I just love that 'David Sander' Jim. I've been circling around the ones they have up at Plantio but they're asking a lot of money. That one and the Phaius microburst 'Wild Thing' are the top ones on my wish list for now. Logee's finally have them but again, a lot of $$ for a 4" pot.

Did you see any of those out at the Myakka orchid growers? Maybe I'll ask my kids to buy them for me for Xmas.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

No, I didn't see those particular orchids but they are fairly large growers and I wasn't looking for anything in particular. I went with an open mind and tried to find gems among the multitudes. The prices in general were nothing to write home about and many orchids were simply overpriced. That turned me off. I have learned a bit from Laurel on how to spot the good ones and that helped me on this trip. Most of my finds were not priced and if I could talk my way into a deal, I'd take it. Fo example, I spotted the Cymbidiella rhodochila hanging way in the back with the Vandas. It was labled but not priced and no one else on the bus had come within 30 feet of it. I new it was a species, kind of rare and healthy looking. I had to drag one of the employees through the tangle of Vanda roots and when she told me she'd let it go for $25, I knew I had a winner.

As for David Sander, it's worth whatever you have to pay for it. It is one great orchid.

By the way, Elaine, if you want some guidance when you go to Apopka, D-mail me.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Jim. I sure will take you up on that. It looks like it may be in January before we get to go. I'm saving up.

In the spirit of showing off my bloomers, ground orchids have 4 stems in bloom now. I'm keeping an eye out for more of them, too.

Elaine

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Elaine - if you want someone to go to Apopka with in Jan, let me know. I'll be in & out of FL all month and, if I'm there would gladly go along.
Seems all my Orchids are getting ready to bloom. I decided to divide Scent of a Woman Fri. Poor thing was all roots & no potting mix and took 2 of us to get her out of her pot. As I was using a fork to pull the roots apart I found a bloom shoot, then another, and at least 4. So each piece has at least 2 shoots. Both look very happy and the shoots are growing.

And found another starting on Sharry Baby.

I am once again out of town but am enjoying the photos. Thanks every one for making this a great month of orchids. Especially thanks to the new folks who have taken to Orchids forum with such gusto. May you have long wish lists and deep pockets. (grin)
Laurel

A lovely Floofy Catt Lemon Chiffon

Thumbnail by
Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Rene10, that cattleya's performing nicely. Those big flowers, and more buds yet to open. Very well done!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.