November 2011

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Birder,
Robins will stay year round if there is a nice timber nearby with berries to eat.
I really need to get my suet cake going as the nuthatch and chick a dee are here already. Junco too!
I think the crocus is an exellent idea! I never ever thought of that! I'll bet crocus start appearing in cemeteries after this :o)

Oh Rusty,
That is a terrible loss! Especially the kids books. I'll bet they were good, old, stories. What a shame!

Carole,
I have taken to buying annual seed I know will grow easily. People start petunias and I've never tried them since I heard they were tempermental. I'd love to start them tho, and will give it a try eventually.

Will,
Those dollys sure do a load of work, heh heh :o)
We used to use it for bringing the large 7 gallon water jugs into the house. Sure saves the back and the arms!
Cracking up over the kids ankles. I'll bet it startled him :o)
Well, pooh on the jack butt neighbor. If you chose not to give out, it's your business. Lights out means the candy is out!
''In my opinion'' is another loophole, LOL!

Happ,
I think I would get sick and tired of closing things after the ghosts, LOL! Leave the cupboard door open and you or DH are sure to smack their head on it. And we both have. It makes you embarrassed first and mad after. I believe the dogs tho. You can't make a dog, much less two, act like that for no reason.

Birder,
Raw Spanish peanuts are used in peanut brittle.
Ewww, I wouldn't eat with moths flying either. They'll lay eggs in the packaged products.

Happ,
You need to realize where all store bought fruit is from too, for the same pesticide or contaminated water danger.

Bernie,
To see the bugs wriggling in the flour, meal or cracker box puts you off your appetite. Corn worms, I break them off with the part they are eating :o)

Will,
I didn't realize your Grandpa was a bit alzheimers. Or else I forgot because he plays chess so well.
88 cents?!! Awesome!! I would have paid the $3.49!
I used to have the WJ and I loved the color. That one is gorgeous and healthy and full! You were a smart shopper, LOL!

Happ,
Those poor puppies! I would be sooo tempted to take or keep them! Dogs like that don't walk into your life every day. Surely they ran from someone's home. Keep your ears open. They may be thrilled to find them alive.

Pepper,
Grrr to the neighbor's dog who runs freely and steals.
Possums. Oh yeah. They show a cat who is boss. Trick is to feed after daylight and pick up before dark. It was the only way we kept the skunks, possums and raccoons out of the cat boxes.

Happ,
Grinning! We had snow yesterday too and nothing stuck. I held each baby up to the window to see their first snow.
I'm so glad you will keep them. They came into your life for a reason. I can't wait for pictures! ''Jumping Jack Flash'' sounds like a good name for one of them, LOL!

Rusty,
I'm glad you had a good time at the Walmart opening! I'll bet the store looks fabulous!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Oh like the name jumpin jack flash, that's alot to get out tho when I am mad cause he have eaten, tingled on, dug up, chewed, and/or jumped on something...rofl.

Good deal Rusty on the new Walmart, bet it was packed and probably will be for quite awhile. They got that opened just in time for Christmas didn't they.
Hummmm, suppose it was planned that way... ;)

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Ack, possums! There is a big one hanging around here at night, it got into a trash bag 2 days ago that was on the porch overnight and it spread trash everywhere. The other aide here did that to make me look bad but it backfired on her..lol She set it out on the porch like as if, "well, if he ain't gonna take it out soon enuff, I'll set it on the porch for everyone to see!" She was showing me! So, anyway I saw it out there and I thought, "oh, this is great".
Well, I forgot about it and it got tore into that night. I didn't set it out there, so it backfired on her! Her and me get along fine, but she'll do things like that every now and then kinda in a joking manner. She did that again this morning but I put the 2 bags in the can as soon as I could. It looks like I've concluded it was a possum without really seeing it do it, but we've seen it on the porch several times before. This is a residential neighborhood too! There is deer tracks in the mulch too! I can tell deer because they make this distinguishable hole in the mulch with their feet! I'm just glad that they don't seem to be stepping on my plants, they are probably EATING them!!

I love Walmart too. It seems odd, they are such a big corporation and all, but it's kinda fun to browse the aisles on Sat. nite when you don't have anything to do. I remember in North AR. as a kid, Walmart was the thing back in the seventies, my uncle there is a retired Walmart asst. mgr. Hehe! Walmart came up in Joplin in time for Christmas! Walmart does have some Christmas spirit, and all those Walmart employees in Joplin, I'm sure they are happy to be back to work. One thing is for sure, they have the money to rebuild!

Thanks for the compliment on my Wandering Jew, billyp. I hope it does okay this Winter with minimal light. I'm gonna start calling it by it's botanical name Judio Errante, "Wandering Jew" seems discriminatory!
Yeah, I agree, my Grandpa is a very happy go lucky type, he knows he's forgetful. Sometimes when we play Chess I'll say "I'll let you take that move back", he'll just forget pieces are in jeopardy sometimes or move a piece into jeopardy. And then after I've let him take the move back I'll lose! But, I'm never nasty, I'll just say "good move" or "good game" and shake his hand. Sometimes I'll spot him a piece and then I'll lose but that's okay, it is fun for us both.

I once took a half eaten bowl of cereal to the grocery store to show them all the worms that I had just eaten! They thought it was funny! I remember this one girl there says, "yum, protein", I just smirked, I wasn't amused, I was disgusted!

Can you believe my TropiCanna is still looking good outside in a pot, even the foliage! I am waiting for the foliage to die off before I cut the stalks and bring the pot in the garage for the Winter, but it keeps looking good!
That's my other Wandering Jew next to it, it's a hardy houseplant, so it's not coming in either until about the same time, I read they can tolerate like 15 or 20 degrees F, it's used as a ground cover in some more southerly locales. I got this photo of them today, they are under the eaves, maybe that helps keep the frost and the cold off them more.

There must be something to the black mulch heating plants up because the four Banana trees in the black mulch are still green and stuff like it's Summer, the 2 not in the black mulch are drooped over, (the foliage).
Maybe those 4 are more likely NOT to succumb over the Winter! I hope that's the case because that's my "tropical spot"!
Will

This message was edited Nov 10, 2011 5:40 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Will, your Judio Errante is very pretty. Judio Errante was one of the first house plants I ever had. I have a couple of pink cannas in pots I purchased from Lowe's on their half price rack. I, too, am waiting for the foliage to turn black. I will dump the soil out and put the tubers up for the winter. I save a lot of the "mesh" bags that one gets with various fruits, veggies, bulbs, corms, etc . I put the tubers, etc. in these bags to stores over the winter. It works well for me.

So, If the Spanish peanuts are for peanut butter, what are the "red skinned" peanuts for?? I don't really care for peanut brittle, but I sure do like spiced nuts!

Rusty, glad to hear WM is back in business in Joplin. I bet people really missed the store. I buy some groceries and bird seed from them. Rusty, ice cream! Yum! I love ice cream.

We're suppose to receive our first hard freeze tonight. Yuk! I hate the cold, cloudy, winter days. I am lining up some projects to do over the winter.

Robins don't usually stay here all winter. We saw about 25 feeding on the neighbor's lawn. We do see them in late February. We have bluebirds here year around. I feed the meal worms. I love watching them, and they are so beautiful. I consider them a real treat to have in our gardens. I was watching the female bluebird from my kitchen window while sipping my coffee this Am! We also had Cardinals, Flickers, Downy woodpeckers, chickadees, Blue Jays, Titmice, Nuthatch and Carolina Wrens. The little Carolina Wren got into our garage this AM and I had to open the g. doors to let her back out. They're such silly birds--always getting into something. They remind me of cats--always checking something out. Every summer they make their nest in the most unusual places--and always very close to human activity.

Possums! Can't they just be shot?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Birder, you can shoot possums all you want and they will just keep coming. We have a never ending supply of them. Sometimes they are aggressive and other times they aren't. But man alive they are stubborn!!

Billy, we feed the cats once, sometimes twice, in the morning, once when we get home and again when we go to bed since they are hungry again. Every animal in the neighborhood knows when we feed them and they come running as soon as they think it's safe. They hear the food hitting the bowl. lol

Thanks birder! My TropiCanna still looks like that photo up there, I was out there a while ago.

Shoot a possum?! We can't shoot in the city limits, I don't think I could shoot it anyway. I'd end up shooting my foot like Barney Fife!

I made a "2 dead leaf Bananas" and a "still 4 alive leaf Bananas in black mulch" photo! The Banana tree under the watering frame thing can't be seen too well because of the Persimmon's trunk but it has black leaves like the one to it's right. I have no explanation for the four in mulch to still be green other than being in the black mulch or maybe being on the West side of the house, altho I can't see how the West side would matter, unless a cold East wind has been blowing or something. Also, there is considerable more sun on those four this time of year. I'm not complaining, that is cool how they are still green!

I'm still working on all that clutter! Some of the clutter is actually planted plants with the labels still on them, I'm a firm believer on leaving labels on plants for a long while so they can be easily identified without trouble, and I'd have trouble!

So you store the dried Canna tuber, birder? I think I will too, that will save so much room, garage room is in short supply! One tv station says 68° tomorrow, we'll see, I may paint that living room window frame white outside.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Will, I take most or all of the dirt off of the canna tubers.

Well, I never got the oomph to paint the living room window frame, I petered out! I put my pants on inside out, put on my old, painted on painters shirt, old shoes and even had the paint and brush out, then afternoon came around and I felt like taking a nap! I slept from 1:30 to 3:30, so I figured I'd do it another day! I put together another little picture frame instead, that's much easier!

I've got a mesh thing for a few bulbs, I think it was a hairnet at one time. I don't think it's being used anymore, it had old cat dung stuck to it, I don't think that was it's intended use!

Dang, now so long till Spring, I've got plans for plants! Well, it'll be March 20th before you know it! I kinda also look at Dec. 21st like it's a sign that Spring isn't far away, the days get longer again!

I just bought me some more bulbs at Wally World today. lol. Carnaval de Rio tulips, pinkish alliums and Margarita tulips for almost half price. Just gotta plant them this week!!

Here is my $2.44 Harry Lauder's Walking Stick-wannabe Big Twister Bush! About 10 feet behind it is a blurry Ozark Witch Hazel plant, it's blurry so you may not be able to see it.

Bulbs are half price at Wally World eh? I may have to check that out!

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ,
Laughing over the long name too! I always hear the Stone's song when I say it or remember the movie ''Whoopie Goldberg'' was in by the same name.

Will,
I'm glad you and the Aide make a friendly competition out of things. My trash never goes outside unless it's in a bag in the tub, with a lid! I haven't cleaned up trash but once, and then it was a stray cat. That's what made me suggest we put food out because someone was hungry. Later we started taking many hungry pregnant cats or their grown kittens to the Humane Society! A cat will tear into the bag to eat and I think animals rip the bag and spread it, so you are right.

I agree, I never liked the plant name too much myself either. Maybe the history of the name would make it sound less discriminating.

Fun, and you are making wonderful memories with your Grandpa. It will also strengthen your character and help you if you decide to pursue caring for someone else someday. Caregivers are in great demand.

It's amazing how many people say the fronds, leaves, etc. are still green on their plants this year.

I sure hope your tropical spot is a success. It will be fun to see it develop!

Birder,
Laughing. I used to save the orange netting and never knew what to do with it. Now I do! Paper sacks are what I'm using, but the netting would be ideal since they are in the dark anyway! Live and learn :o)

As near as I can tell, they are different peanuts, but I can't Google an exact answer. The Spanish are mainly for cooking with.

I think we have all your birds except for the titmice. I really can't wait to see the feeder activity when the snow is on the ground.

Pepper,
Laughing over the food hitting the bowl! You can't hardly win this battle can you!

Will,
Clutter or not, things are looking good!

Cracking up over the good intentions and the nap!!

For me, it's getting thru February before I see the promise of spring.
Pepper,

Laughing over the last minute bulbs! Jealous too of the spring color you will have next year, or at least the year after :o)

Will,
Neat ''Twister!'' Very neat price!!

Thanks billyp, the aide and me get along fine. Today, I was kidding her again and she was telling me about bills and I say, "what do you spend all your money on, weed?!" She got a laugh out of that! She tried to act all insulted but she couldn't help busting out laughing when she was trying to give me a comeback!

Patience has always been one of my strong points, it takes patience to be a caregiver sort, I have plenty of experience I suppose.

Thanks billyp, that "tropical spot" is coming along, I have more driftwood to add to it yet. There's plenty of driftwood here, oddly enuff, my friend's Sister is a big driftwood nut. I think she's been to the beach in VA. just to get driftwood! I must admit that driftwood up there in the second photo 6 posts up is quite interesting the way it's all spiraled and twining around itself.

Thanks, I hope that Twister Bush gets real big and twisty! I need to power-wash that privacy fence or scrub it or something to get that green moss off of it, that's like what happens before the fence rots away.
Will

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Pepper: We have trapped 'possums, called the police, they come and haul them off--to somewhere? and that's that. We don't get that many. I wonder what the predators of possums are? We get a lot more coons than possums. We also get squirrels. I wouldn't mind any of them if they would leave my bird seed/food alone. I am not to excited to make the peanut butter mixture for them.

Billyporter: It seems Spring starts here in February. By that, I mean, I mainly see buds swelling on trees, and possibly brave little Iris riticulata, and some crocus, but it has to be a warm, sunny February and late February. It's always exciting to see those first shoots break through the ground! The flowering bulbs are so showy and welcome.

We haven't seen the juncos yet. It's too early for them.

Oh Will, I too watch for the day when the days start getting longer. To me, it's even worse when DST ends. I am trying to get up at 6:30 or so in the morning. With DST, it was 7:30. So, I am going to bed earlier, (9:30 vs 10:30) and getting up earlier. I am one of those that the lack of sunshine affects my health (SAD). It sounds weird, but I can really tell a difference with the short, cloudy, overcast days.

This year, I have promised myself this year, I am going to find more beauty and more positives during the winter season. Maybe we can make a list of the good things winter offers! It does give us a reprieve from the "work" in our gardens.

My son wants to have smoked pork loin for Thanksgiving Dinner!! He said stuffing and roasting a turkey with mashed potatoes, gravy and all the sides just isn't worth all the work. He doesn't think traditional T. dinner tastes all that great. I am not sure what to think of that. I am so glad he's coming home for T., I don't really care what I prepare! Turkey and all the fixings is such a tradition, however.

We can't call the cops to take care of the possums. We live in the country and the cops would just laugh at us. We have some issues with them anyways so unless it's super important. We just scare them off or shoot them. Pretty much the only options we have out here.

Squirrels are a pest when the feeders are up but we have mostly squirrel proofed them so we just get our entertainment watching them watch the feeders. lol. We have one feeder that we don't chase them out of and they share it with the birds. Coons aren't really a problem here either. We see them occasionally but that's about it. We see and smell the skunks more often but they don't come up to the house.

Billy, the tulips will bloom this spring if I get them planted this week. lol. There will be a ton of color and fragrance down there when they bloom. I have hyanciths and daffodils down there too. They will be moved next year if needed to a better spot.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will,
Weed. I'll bet she did crack up :o)

I think driftwood is the coolest thing! Laughing at myself. My elderly relative had a piece that was in a floral arrangement so it's not even real. But, I took it anyway and it sits in the garden by my newly planted little iris. It's pretty small, but I still like it :o)

We have algae on everything! You never used to see it anywhere, but now people have new vinyl siding and it's green half way up. DH bought a small brush that attaches to the hose I think. He just wets the walll and scrubs it all off. For a year.

Birder,
This was very interesting.

http://opossum.craton.net/faqs.htm

On occasion I have had crocus bloom at the end of February, but late March, eearly April are the norm.

I was always thankful didn't have SAD. It's real. Do you use sunlamps?

Winter.
It gives me an excuse to look at flower books, make garden seed lists, look over the seeds I have in all the tubs, do research on the computer, and finally sit down with a cup of hot tea and a good book. I already have a container of Dove chocolates by my bed :o) And while reading, if I nap, so be it!

I do walk the treadmill and lift weights during winter too.

Tradition smadition. They also ate fish and berries :o) I am not a fan of turkey either which is why I am also heating up a ham. Loin sounds delicious! The smells coming from the kitchen, the pies and desserts, the snacking, company. those things are what is important.

Pepper,
Shoot one animal and DNR will find their way to your door, LOL!

We have one agent for our county, ''Timber Tom.'' He seems to be everywhere, LOL!

Well, I can't wait for pictures! Spring flowers sound wonderful and that's why I just can't find a season to die in. I look forward to everything, LOL!

I stayed in yesterday and made...white bread. Well, it was still delicious :o) I used a recipe from the first cookbook I ever had because it called for the same amount of evaporated milk I had left over.

DH hung a few Christmas lights.

Later I got out and walked around barefoot, stepping on bare dirt to get the last of the health benefits for the year. The mums are still soft and supple. The short reblooming yellow iris froze in it's tracks, but I have more fall color than I usually do :o)

I think we're in Indian Summer. I haven't really seen the small spiders that let out a long strand and float on it to new places. By evening the ground is just covered in strands. You have to look towards the sun to see the silks, but they are pretty glinting way up high.

I finally got around to cleaning that last window on the outside. From inside, it really stood out, how filthy it was compared to the other two, it drove me nuts! I did learn something tho, probably 95% of the grime is on the outside! I even got a photo of the dastardly job yesterday! I'm trying to get up the bravado to repaint that window frame white, it's such an involved job and everything, I think I'm intimidated! I mean, working gingerly with paint, being careful with the paint, cleaning brushes and laying down stuff to protect everything and wearing old clothes, it's like a big operation! I'm not a painter, shouldn't I be excused from painting the house trim and stuff?! It really turned cold, but not for long, it's supposed to warm back up the next 2 days then turn cold and prolly stay cold. I have a TropiCanna and a houseplant Wandering Jew outside still, I expect they are still fine, I saw them yesterday. I'll prolly bring them in Sat. or Sun. after the warm snap.

Ok happ, show yourself!

Will

This message was edited Nov 16, 2011 8:18 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will,
I am not a painter either. First, I'm too sloppy and second, everything you listed just turns me away. I'd say washing them is as far as you need to go. Someday she'll need to hire someone to paint the trim as all of it will meed to be done at the same time. I'd stay out of painting anything you don't feel like doing. You do plenty of other things.

They are 100% ready to go into winter! I love clean windows!!

I spent the day at DD's yesterday and we sorted thru the toyboxes. Have to make room for Santa's stuff, altho, they don't get a lot from us, mainly because they have enough. They need ascessories for what they already have.

I've been making bread, honing my skills for Thanksgiving. I'll make rolls the day before. Pie too. I like to have those done because there isn't any oven room with a turkey and ham in there.

Oooh, I made myself hungry!

Will, get a roll of butcher's paper and some painters tape, cover windows, cover about 6 inches of brick and you can mess up without worrying about paint getting all over stuff. You might get a little but paint remover on a q-tip can help with that. But don't do it if you don't want to. lol

Here are the Judio Errante (Wandering Jew) starts, on the bottom shelf, they are still looking good and I did those cuttings 9 days ago. I took several photos and they are all blurry, the camera apparently focused on the foreground, not the plants. I think I'm gonna make more, it's a beautiful plant.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Here is the latest effort towards my backyard master landscaping plan, black plastic landscape edging as far as the eye can see! I just need about 2 tons of mulch to go in there and I'm set!
See the TropiCanna back there? The leaves on it still haven't succumbed to the cold!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Isn't this 'Goldflame' Spirea just beautiful in Fall color?! I can't wait till it gets big, right now it's a small Lowes special! How do you like that clump or plug of dead grass next to it..haha! That's how I plant sometimes, just "dig up a clump of grass and drop your plant in the hole" style!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Yes, yes, I do do alot! Oh stop it billyp, your making me have illusions of grandeur! Haha, like that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry says, "yes, I am very great, aren't I?!" But, I keep pretty busy, I must admit not all of the time. I can get alot done in 2 or 3 hours a day if I put my mind to it, then some days I'll have a project going and I'll just work til I'm ready to quit, then most days I'll get pathetically little done!
Thanks billyp, I hope I stay busy enuff most days.

Yes, she should hire painting work like that out. But, I too kinda shudder at the thought of what a contractor painter him or her would want. I'm kinda all about saving money and diy-ing if possible. All I've ate this week is 2 bowls of rice each day, today I'm only gonna have 1 bowl because I don't feel hungry..lol The 10 lb. bag of rice that I got Sunday for $3.48 is only 1/3rd gone now!
Today, a hospice nurse was here, when she was leaving she says, "something sure smells good", I said, "it's probably my rice" and I showed her my big bowl of rice..lol I was sitting right there on the couch eating it! She was probably grimacing inside! Haha, that's alright! I said,"I'm just kidding, it's probably that steak that she is cooking in there", which I'm sure it was..lol!
I have challenged the other aide here to a weight loss contest. Today I told her, "you go ahead and eat all those chips, how you gonna feel when I weigh less than you?" She's a good sport about weight talk. I don't normally dare bring weight up to people unless we are really comfortable with each other, I've known this aide for over 2 years. Believe me, I'm not trying to get slapped!
But, I digress, it is real nice when you have the extra money to hire stuff professionally done, or when one doesn't really have the know-how or equipment for the job. So, in my case stuff just doesn't get done..lol

Today, I planted a Mugo Pine that I got 3 days ago at Lowes for $1.75. Here it is in the photo. The yard here is just full of cheapo plants, maybe they'll look like something someday!

Wanna hear something funny, an Aunt who I don't speak to anymore, accidently dialed me from her purse this morning. I was in bed and she was talking to a coworker about something, she works at the IRS and I could tell it was the workplace. I was saying, "hello, hello, hi Magnusina" and no answer, I like that Aunt and I've told her so a couple years ago, but her husband (my Uncle, a blood relative) is a jackbutt, he burned me on several occasions, I just don't have or want occasion to interface with him anymore now.

Thanks Pepper, butcher's paper eh?! I was wondering where to get some sort of paper like that, that would be nice to have for painting jobs. Oh, I don't want to do it, but, that doesn't mean I won't muddle thru it eventually..lol

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Can you find all the plant specials in this photo, there's got to be near 40 somewhere there! They are hard to see, but by gosh they are there! Even my $3 Dwarf Alberta Spruce Living Christmas Tree from 2004 over on the right is putting on an evergreen show for all to see! It's the smaller of the 2 Dw. Al. Spruces, the other one was bought in 2004 too (but, she paid $20 for it then, I planted it), it was already a decent size then. That one is a testament tho that Dw. Al. Spruces DO grow back a pointed leader after being topped because of spider mites or whatever, in our case it was mites, they completely killed the top back in the day. Back then I was like, "it'll be ugly forever now", I'm happy to report that's not the case. Anyhow, just look for the labels in the photo, I leave them..lol
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Oops, I forgot the photo of the Wandering Jew starts. -

Okay, disregard this post, I am losing my mind!

This message was edited Nov 17, 2011 10:15 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I won't comment on you losing your mind. :~p

And how about this 'Black Knight' Butterfly Bush from Pepper having a few leaves now? I was holding onto hope on it and sure enuff here it comes now!

edited for typo!

This message was edited Nov 17, 2011 10:24 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I see! It is lost, it is harmlessly lost! Haha!
Will

edited for typos

This message was edited Nov 17, 2011 10:32 PM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper,
CRACKING UP!!

Will,
The WJ will root readily in water, unless they did and these are potted up :o) They look nice!

Does your camera have a landscape/flower setting? I use landscape on pictures thru windshields and such, because it looks past those things.

Grinning, that is going to look really goos planted and mulched!

I'd sure paint the shed a light color tho. Talk to your friend. Maybe just the trim could be red.

Gorgeous spirea! Dead grass alright :o)

Will, we're all like that and yep, you are pretty great :o)

I love rice and made rice pudding the other day :o)

I doubt you have much weight to lose, make sure your weight isn't muscle. And eat some veggies!!

I have no doubt your plants will all look nice. Love all of them in the picture. Yep, next year things will really show up! Those bargains are totally worth it!

Funny about your Aunt :o)

Yep, that BB will make it now!

Walmart sells the Freezer Wrap/Butcher Paper. I keep it on hand. It's a looong box.

Thanks, that Spirea is a stunner! Haha..that grass is dead alright, I rub most of the dirt out from under grass plugs like that to fill in the hole usually, that grass didn't have much if any dirt to grow in!
No, I don't have much weight to lose, maybe ten lbs. I definitely do want to keep what little muscle I have! I drink a Vanilla shake every day that's supposed to be loaded with Protein, we'll see!

I agree, billyp, about the light color for the shed. But we bought a custom gallon of paint though, I'm afraid there is no going back, it's the same color as the brick on the house, not real dark and not light, kinda in the middle.
I might be painting that shed this weekend because I want to get the Hostas, other shade plants and the Hyssop situated in there before it's gets real cold, I'd like to have as much as possible in the ground soon.

You like rice too huh Sally? I wish it tasted a little better myself, but I guess you can't have everything! Today, the other aide here was giving me some grief about all the pop I drink, she drinks water now she says! I said, "that's fine, you go ahead and wash down all your candy and your sandwiches with water!"! She just laughs. She says pop has 140 calories per can, which it does, but it doesn't have any fat in it I say. I'm hooked on pop though! I make sure to brush my teeth at least twice a day and I floss every few days. I don't drink just pop though, I drink 1 to 2 cups of oj a day, sometimes milk (not a fan), I really LOVE the shakes, it's worth getting out of bed for! And about 3 or 4 cups of water, not enuff I know. I have lost around 3 pounds this week! Yum, rice pudding, I've never had it, but I hear good things!

Walmart sells that butcher paper eh, I'll try to remember that when I go there to browse soon.

I'll try those settings on my camera sometime, it has those settings, I'm pretty sure I saw them before. I'll try that, thanks Sally.

Yeah, I wish I could visit with that Aunt without having to talk to my Uncle. The Uncle really isn't all bad, but I think he's got a yellow belly for one. I think he was supposed to be an heir to my grandmother's estate and I think he let this other Aunt (his Sister) and her Son (my cousin) have it all because they wanted it. I think he couldn't stand up and get his share for not only him but his wife too, the Aunt and Uncle spent money and gave gifts all the time to those grandparents years ago. I'm pretty sure, he was afraid my cousin would slap him about the face and ears if he didn't step aside, those are my opinions anyway. Since my Father had died, (their brother), I was kinda oL on anything myself.
Oh well, I've got world peace to figure out!

Thanks Sally, I hope those bargain plants look great in coming years or I've got some explaining to do!

This message was edited Nov 18, 2011 9:32 PM

Will, try coconut water. It's the hottest health trend out there now. lol.

I'll look for that! I only can afford the vanilla shakes because I didn't buy it! It was bought for the elderly disabled lady but she doesn't like it and nobody else wants to blend it and wash the blender out, I am more than willing to do that stuff, because it is worth the deliciousness!

Here is my method of having houseplants in a house also full of cats! Aluminum foil and landscaping staples! I haven't had a problem with cats getting in them and laying down anymore, and using them as litterboxes!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Well, the leaves on the TropiCanna have finally given in to the cold! It's almost time to bring it and that Wandering Jew in!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I have been lurking, just not much going on for me right now...rofl. My laptop died so I have to use DH's, it has been kind of nice not to be on the computer on the weekend after I got thru with withdrawal... ;)

I would like to have a rice receipe where you put the raisin stuff on the top, not cooked in it. There use to be a resturant at the little Independence airport in a old white house and she served some kind of rice like pudding stuff with a raisin sauce over the top.

Will, on the shed, once it is painted, you can always add things (signs, ornamental things) to the shed to break up the "red". I am going to make shutters for my garden room out of pallet racks I have found for free, or make window boxes even if you don't have a window you can find an old window and hang it like a picture and put the flower box and/or shutters around it, and then with the plants around it, you might really like the brighter red.

I have all kinds of tropicals in bloom right now. Lots of brugmansia's and they smell wonderful at night. They only perfume in the evening. Only problem is I hate watering all winter long. I am horrible about it. It is like when people would have to fill ice trays in the old days...rofl, wasn't hard just no one would do it.... ;)

Hi happ, welcome back, it's nice to see you again, you lurker you! Eeek! Your lappie died?! Ohhh, hope you get it fixed, what a bummer! That old shed! I keep procrastinating on painting it! I bought an electric spray gun a few weeks ago and I admit I am afraid to learn how to use it for the first time! I bought a gallon of thinner because it has to be cleaned immediately after using it so it'll keep on working. The whole operation has me a bit intimidated! I'll do it eventually, I am shooting for later this week, they are saying 65° both Thursday and Friday so I'll see how that works out for painting! I got two big branches to go around part of it tho for landscaping so I can move forward with filling that area around the shed full of soil and plant hostas and stuff that I got, but I need to paint it first before I do the landscaping around it, oh, woe is me! There is so much to do and I hate to put things like that off again till next year. The shed is slated to be the same color as the house's brick-work, kinda an orangey/red. I'd be all for a lighter color too, but my friend picked out the orangey/red, if it don't get painted that color it'll be my backside! The shed is supposed to be close to this photo of the house's bricks. How do you like that old ladder's repaired white legs..lol!

I like your photos of your Brugs, happ, they are like porcelain in bloom. You oughta get a good photo of one and put it in a picture frame in your living room, seriously, they are gorgeous. Don't use regular printer paper tho, get photographic paper, it's more expensive but it is great for printing photos, be sure to use the glossy side. I've printed out several good photos of stuff and framed them in an 8 and a half by 11 frame.

Where'd everybody go? Did I run everybody off!?

That Independence airport was cool! I used to live straight North of it in East Independence about 3 miles and planes were always flying way up, it was neat seeing planes all the time, sometimes bi-planes and historic planes would fly over. I remember, it was a big thing in the news, in 1993 it was purchased by a real estate developer and closed in 1993. It is now a housing addition, there is no more airport, Independence doesn't have an airport now. I remember, I thought Independence was duped. My great uncle used to have a hangar there for his glider.
He'd go up all the time and stay afloat for hours, just gliding. He'd sometimes fly over our house and circle and tip his wings, but he couldn't stray far from the airport, it always looked like so much fun. It was only a single seater, I never got to go with him, but it sure looked like fun, I don't think I have that kind of bravado myself! I think I know what restaurant your talking about happ, it was known for it's pies, I think it was called "Lonely Oaks Restaurant" or "Lonesome Oaks Restaurant", something like that. There was 2 big Oak trees there, they are still there, but the restaurant is gone, I ate there one time long ago.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I'm here!! Went out of state over the weekend so haven't been on for a few days.

Welcome back, Pepper!

Thanks!! Am dead tired and feel like I'm catching a cold but not sure. Plus will be working everyday except Friday this week so won't get any rest. Gotta love it!! LOL

Oh, hope it's not the flu! I have a fear of the flu or something, I think it's just knowing some 36,000 people worldwide die from it every year! And a flu shot, I'm not even going there! But, I'll probably get one.
I'll probably get a shot, get the flu, and lay there thinking, "oh gosh, I'm gonna lay here and die of the freaking flu!"!

Not flu, just a cold. When I get the flu I get it out of the blue and it knocks me down pretty quick. I'm just sneezing, my nose is acting up a bit and throat drying out faster than normal.

Well, I'm up late because I could swear a flashlite was just shone on my bedroom window or else a transformer maybe blew and it had an effect of lightning on my window or it could have actually been lightning because I see it is raining outside now. But, I am an overly cautious and paranoid sort when it comes to suspicious activity around here. We automatically get a regular police report and they say car break-ins are common in this neighborhood. My friend just got a new car last week, a Hyundai Veloster. It's a slick looking car, but thieves probably don't know that car can't be stolen, it requires a "proximity chip" to start. I'm leaning toward a transformer blew or it was lightning tonite. I am paranoid maybe, but not nuts! I've already been outside to look around, nothing there that I saw. But, I'm gonna watch the aide leave soon anyway to make sure she gets going okay. I watch her leave alot, she probably thinks I'm a creep but I don't care. We've already went after her twice when she tried to take off walking at 3:30am, thanks to my watching, she lives 20 miles away!
Oh, I just can't seem to not worry about the flu! - http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/28/regular.flu/ My numbers were way low, they say it's a half million worldwide that die from the flu each year. I had a cousin die from Swine Flu in 09'. Last year, I walked into Walgreens with a dust mask on, I said "don't be alarmed, I might have the swine flu", the customers right there in line were looking at me like I was going to rob the joint, before I said something! The cashier just smiled! I went in there to see the urgent care thing they have, the minute clinic or something it's called. I was sicker than a dog, that's what folks do that don't have insurance, spend all your money seeing a doctor.

I stay up pretty late usually, if someone maybe shines a flashlite on my freaking window at 2:30am I get all nervous! Oh, what to do, what to do!!
Will

This message was edited Nov 22, 2011 4:02 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.