November 2011

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Will: I know what you mean about not wanting to start a new project. I put things off when I am not sure how to do things and how they are going to turn out. I usually try to think things through real well, and then, just get started! Good Luck on the painting. I am sure it will turn out nice.

Regarding not being on the computer: people are probably busy working on Thanksgiving Dinner, or traveling etc.

Flashing lights in bedroom windows would be scarey.

I am having 15 people at my house for Thanksgiving. Everyone is bringing a dish so that helps a lot. I am making the gravy ahead of time.

I smoked a pork loin today. I am going to serve it as well as turkey.

So, Pepper, what is the deal with the coconut water? I haven't heard about this.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I hope your right, birder, about it turning out nice, it could turn out a monstrosity too. But, I'll keep the cup half full and say I hope it turns out okay! I'd like to eventually replace those rotted boards to that old shed.
It's a cool shed, it's shaped like a little red barn! It's pretty roomy for a little shed. I wish they had constructed a floor for it initially, it just has the driveway for a floor and it gets rainwater and mud washing in it regularly, which stinks!

Yeah, it's pretty scary, having a flashlite shone in your bedroom window. I'm not sure that's what it was, but I think that's how thieves find out if someone is awake and alert nearby. In order to at least get to the inside of the car they'd have to break a window likely and that makes noise. I told my friend that I think her new car might be being targetted, I have convinced her to at least put The Club on it. One night last week, I was looking out the window like I do and I saw a vehicle parked across the street from where the aide was parked, and he/she was shining a flashlite. I didn't think much of it at the time, I thought it was just somebody she knew making sure she got in her car alright. But, last nite I asked her if she knew those people and she said she didn't. I don't know what's going on, it could be neighbors skulking around, there is some funny sorts around here.
I stay up late many nites and my bedroom is right by the cars and the driveway, they risk getting caught and they don't know it, I could also get rewarded with bodily injury for my trouble!
If you don't hear from me again, I got hornswoggled (walloped..lol) by a thief!
Oh well, what a tangled web we weave!
Will

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Coconut water is the juice from a young coconut. Tons of good stuff in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_water

Worked late today. Had a big holiday rush and was extremely busy all day. Was truck day too. When I left after 7pm we still had alot to put up!! Only gonna get worse over the next 2 days!!

Ack, the holiday rushes are back again! I remember going to Kohls one Black Friday a few years ago to get a belt, the end of the cashier line was about 50 feet from the cash register!

I didn't get bamboozled by car thieves yet!

I'd love to have a coconut tree! I hear even most of Florida isn't even warm enuff for a coconut tree. I think some parts of Fla. can have them tho.

I did get my cheap little black and white Harbor Freight camera and cheap 4 yr. old Walmart tv set up today, so I can kinda see the porch and some of the driveway and front yard goings on. Now I can see if somebody at the door has a sock full of pennies to hit me upside the head with! See me taking the photo?!

That Grubworm the cat on the right is always watching Bucky the cat. She charges Bucky when he isn't looking, but he is usually looking and will give her a hiss, he doesn't pick a fight with her, he's very gentlemanly.

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I will be out on Black Friday but only to Nebraska Furniture mart. We bought a kitchen island for my grandma and are gonna go pick it up. That's the only black friday shopping we are doing!! lol.

Nebraska Furniture Mart has some deals at Christmas-time. Last year, (about the second week of Dec.) I got the flat-panel tv in this photo and on the left for $199, it's a 26" non-big-brand-name tv. This year the tv deals are even better. I saw a 42" tv somewhere for $349 I think. Tv's that woulda been around $3,000 6 years ago are going for 3 or 4 hundred now. I want the little 15" one for $89 if NFM ever has them on sale again! I'm considering getting my car painted on Black Friday though this year. Maaco has a Black Friday deal going oddly enuff. I'd like to get my car painted before it gets any rust, which can't be far off.
How do you like my framed photo of a beat-up pier in Texas City, TX. (I think) in 1999? I thought that looked neat with the Pelicans sitting on all the broken pillars sticking up. A cousin, a friend and me did that on a big roadtrip to Mexico from here.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Will, I saw WM had a 42" flat screen for $299 or something like that.

We are hoping to get a couch while up there but it will depend on what they have left in stock. All furniture is half off tomorrow. We aren't going til later in the day so hopefully we miss the worst of the crowds.

Pic is neat. Like the skull too!!

Thanks Pepper. I see the deals are better on tv's than I thought even, being far enuff up in the waiting line to get one would be the problem I think for most people. For example, I saw Bestbuy has a 42" Sharp tv for $199 on Black Friday - http://finance.yahoo.com/news/black-friday-2011--deals-from-walmart--target--best-buy-and-more.html , they open at midnite tonight. They showed a waiting line on the news at the Bestbuy in Liberty, MO. for that tv, they got in front of the line by camping out there for a day or something. I don't have a place for a tv that big anyway. It's hard to imagine but half of America's population is going Black Friday shopping and this weekend, they say at that Yahoo news link. Walmart's deals on tv's appears to be a 32" for $188, a 51" plasma tv for $498 and a 42" Vizio 3d one tomorrow for $598. The Vizio 3d one sounds real nice.
The different times on them is kinda odd, seems like that would throw people off, maybe there's a reason for it.

I tell you, I do like me a good cow skull!

I got a photo of my 'Luna Red' Hibiscus labels. Did you know a regular staple goes thru those generic white plastic plant markers? I kinda have a feeling that those Hibs outside are already dead! There might be my labels there that I'm so proud of, but no Hibs! Missouri Conservation sent me a magazine of the seedlings for sale, there is some good deals in there too - http://extra.mdc.mo.gov/cgi-bin/mdcdevpub/apps/seedlings/search.cgi?record=all I'd be the Missouri resident to mail to if anybody wants some for their yard. I've ordered from them 3 years. Last, in 2010 I got a bundle of Blackberry bushes and a bundle of 25 also of Ozark Witch Hazel, they have all always proven well worth it. The BB bushes had berries on them this Summer and the Ozark Witch Hazels are really putting on size pretty fast now. I've got several Ozark Witch Hazels from there that are well over 2 feet tall now.
Will

edited for tippo!

This message was edited Nov 24, 2011 8:54 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I did some Black Friday shopping and I didn't get any Black Friday deals but I got some real cheap houseplants. I got a photo of my 4 little plants and by little I mean quite small! Only one, the Fern, was 75 cents, the others were 50 cents apiece. Bucky decided to groom himself in the photo, sorry..lol I got that board there with the cherry finish to make a wall shelf. We need to find a place for some excess books that we got sitting around, as seen in a photo above.. lol The crowd is awful at Wally World. Boy, I think big, retail corporations are after every dollar, they musta had every employee there for Black Friday!
I did stand in line at Walmart to ask about 2 Goodyear tires, but ironically, they didn't have a deal in my tire size, which is odd, my tires aren't anything rare. If somebody got lucky tho, while the tire deals were still in stock,
they coulda got a heckuva deal, like $50 off per tire on even a 17" tire. I saw the list of deal tires, I couldn't believe 14" tires weren't even on it. I looked for the aide's car here too, they were out of 17" tires for her, and without a good price, they were $137 per tire. The deal 17" tires were 70 dollars something each, a big savings from regular, and decent tires, 50,000 mile Goodyears. I went to Lowes and was sorely disappointed in the garden center, there is NO plants, not even hardy ones, it's all Christmas trees. Well, except living Christmas Trees, Rosemary trees and Norfolk Island Pines, all dolled up with bows and stuff.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Same as here all the christmas trees yesterday...

Windy all day...

I final sold some books from ebay and send shipping today....

One guy brought books from me that he's from India! shipping so costing! I had to send it because they need books for hospitals...

We went to Nebraska Furniture Mart this afternoon. Man that place was packed!! There were no parking spots so we ended up parking in the employee lot. Went inside to check out couches and recliners and didn't like any of them. Their selection for such a big store was tiny too. So we will look elsewhere for those. Got our kitchen island picked up for my grandma though!!

Hi all, I've been sick with the flu, it hasn't been terrible. I'm at about 70% wellness now. That's kinda the way I look at it. Yesterday, I felt bad, that was about 50% or less. At that degree of sickness you more or less just lay there. For example, I laid on the couch and had wallowed about half of the couch covers onto the floor and at 50% you don't feel like putting the cover back, like you normally would. So, the couch cover stayed on the floor overnite. Today, I felt better but only about 70%, good enuff tho to put the couch cover back. I think what I had was the one day flu, although actually that's deceiving, because, is it ever really only one day with the flu?
On late Friday, (the first day of my sickness) my voice was all deep and different and I was getting a scratchiness in my throat. And then, Sat., yesterday I felt bad, I was pretty much incapacitated, that was the one day part. I wasn't really diagnosed or anything by a doctor, but I've been sick before. This wasn't the 104° flu, where your paralyzed with sickness! This was maybe a 102° fever at most. I didn't even have enuff power to check my temperature. I haven't been in the disabled lady's room since Thurs. or Fri., I don't want to transmit my sickness to her if I can help it. I walk around the house spraying Lysol above my head as I walk and using hand sanitizer on my hands and everything I touch. I still don't know how I got it, I don't know of anyone who was sick. For example, in 2002, when I thought I felt bad enuff to die, my Dad was coughing all over me a couple days earlier as I was working on his computer. I remember calling him up when I was sick, I was like, "thanks for giving me the flu, I feel terrible"! I expect tomorrow I'll feel pretty normal, well, as normal as normal can be! I have alot to do before Wed. when my friend here's Sister is coming for 8 days for a visit from Virginia.

Selling your books on Ebay Rusty? I have 2 books on Craigslist right now. I like Craigslist because there isn't all those fees like Ebay. But, any way it's done, it's nice to have a way to get rid of stuff and still get some money back. We sometimes will run into stuff that has value and may have cost something significant back in the day, but now it's just in the way, so rather than throw it away, it can possibly be sold to somebody that is looking for just that thing.

I should be pretty okay tomorrow, probably just coughing all day. I guess I've been sick enuff to know the stages of sickness! First, the throat scratchiness, then the deep voice Barry White part, then the feverish, chills, weak sickness part where the virus is going to work, then the crushing headache with sweats where the sickness is exiting, then coughing where it hurts your throat, then back to reality! Did I mention the part where you rely on others in your house to have sympathy and understand that you can't do anything, or the constant runny nose and coughing, or needing others to bring you food and drink?! For example, I mentioned the couch cover being on the floor and how I didn't feel like picking it up and she says, "that's alright, it'll still be there when you get better!", that's pretty funny I guess, even when your sick! I need to be pretty back to normal the next 3 days, I have a ton of stuff to do in preparation for the Sister's visit from VA. The needing-to-be-cleaned-gutters or the needed new tires don't wait on sick folks!

I bet Nebraska Furniture Mart was a madhouse, they have some irresistable deals this time of year, you oughta keep checking back there up until Christmas, they'll likely get more stuff in.
Will

This message was edited Nov 28, 2011 7:31 AM

Haha, I went to bed around 12:30 am, but I haven't been able to sleep because of sweating bad. Oh, the life of the idle poor and sick! I don't mean to get on here and give you the play by play on my flu, everybody gets sick! I am passing time trying to get my bed to dry out a little from the sweat and maybe I can go back and get to sleep in a while. Well, now not so sure if it's any kind of, "1 day flu". I still feel pretty bad, but it's not really incapacitating for several days like I've had before. I suppose, if I had a job to go to I could still only miss one day of work and just make everybody else sick. That reminds me of this one job that I had a few years ago where there were hundreds of workers, all just sitting around entering data. It was quiet, except this one lady who was coughing all the time, (which went on for about 2 days) you could tell she was sick, but probably not having the sick time, she worked sick. She wasn't that close to me, I couldn't see her, but the people around her musta been cringing.

I always seem to get sick at the worst possible times. Back in 2002 when I got the awful flu, we had just got a bad icestorm like 2 days before that on Jan 31st, 2002, I was down with the flu from about Feb. 1st to Feb. 5th,
it was just me to clean up debris, all the other relatives claimed bad backs. This afternoon I'm supposed to go get tires bought and installed for the aide here and I haven't even been to bed yet, her shift is over in the afternoon. Please, I don't want alot of sympathy, everybody gets sick at some time or another, and some more often than others. My demise will probably be from getting sick or something like that! I can't imagine being elderly and having the flu like I've had a few bad times, that must be terrifying. Well, I should be all back to normal in a day or two, I could've gotten so much done in all these days tho!
Oh well, back to bed!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Will, sorry to hear you are sick. I hope it will pass soon. You know, you just have to take care of yourself: lots of rest and fluids, Tylenol and Chicken Noodle Soup, and Sprite. Yes, sympathy helps too. You want to know someone out there cares! So, just give into the flu, wait, and take care of yourself. The other stuff can wait or not get done. It won't be the end of the world if stuff doesn't get done. Every one will survive just fine. Take care~!

Thanksgiving Dinner went without a hitch. All the food was delicious, and we did have leftovers which I enjoy a lot. I have most of my house/refrigerator back to normal. I told my husband I did not want to cook for the next week! He said fine, but I think we'll both get hungry, and I know who will be doing the cooking!!

We're having rain, sleet, snow and wind. YUK!! It's not accumulating because the ground is too warm. It's going to be in the mid forties all next week. Three days ago we were in the sixties!

The birds are visiting our feeders more frequently.

I still have my Amaryllis bulbs to re-pot.

Thanks birder, you are very kind, good advice, I love to receive encouragement. Oh, I too believe there is people out there! The lady aide here asked me if she can have my car if I die! I told her no, that'll need to be sold to pay for my disposal. She said it wouldn't pay for that, but I know it will! I agree that stuff will likely just not get done. I try to tell my friend here, "you know, I'm sick, you might consider doing something to help, this is crunch time if you want all that done before Wed.", she relies on me heavily, I am glad to help, I thrive on helping but I'm little help when I'm sick. I showed my sweat-shirt this morning where it was soaked thru with sweat from sweating in my bed. It's almost like when your sick, your family members are like bosses, you need to show some outward signs of sickness..lol Haha! I'm just trying to be funny at my own expense, they believe me when I say I'm sick! Like you said birder, stuff will just have to wait or not get done, besides, I think my friend here is coming down with what I have or hopefully HAD! She says she thought about calling her Sister and suggesting "this might not be a good time to visit, there is a lot of sickness here". Their Mom, (the disabled, elderly lady as we all know) could get sick too and that could really be nasty unfortunately. Boy, I would feel rotten if she got the flu as well, from my diabolical airborne Influenza. I literally have nowhere to go while I'm sick. I am on my second can of Lysol and my hands are sticky from all the sanitizer thats been on them. Oh, I know about Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup, I've had 2 cans of it, today and yesterday, my friend made it, it was just right. I've had fluids and Aleve too. Now, the rest is harder to come by! Altho, pretty soon I plan on going to sleep for at least 8 hours.
Amaryllis is a nice non-regular season flowering plant. I've heard about the snows and bad weather in South Missouri, I couldn't believe it, worse down there than here, altho, it is cold enuff here but it's been pretty quiet so far. I've also heard a very popular (and very accurate) meteorologist here say he thinks this will be an unusually bad Winter for weather here. - http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/weather/winter/gary-lezak-2011-2012-kansas-city-winter-forecast-nov2011swp
Will

This message was edited Nov 29, 2011 7:32 PM

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, got me for dry sore throat here... And It hit me 3 times again for every each week... So, got new medicine is Vicks Nature Fusion Cough (real honey)...
It work for me to smooth the throat...

Eeeww Rusty, a sore throat is painful, I've been lucky there so far, not alot of soreness in the throat but alot of coughing but it hasn't been too bad on my throat. What I had IS getting around the house, my friend is in the early stages of what I have, mine's almost gone I think. I'd say I'm about 85% back to normal. I got alot done today towards my friend's Sister's visit starting tomorrow, I'm running the vacuum cleaner in a bit and doing some other finishing touches on stuff. When I get throat lozenges I tend to eat them like candy, so I don't get them! loI I think they can actually be over-dosed on so shame on them for making them taste so good!
The last time I got cough drops I got Honey flavor and it didn't taste like Honey!
I'm going to get my shop at Harbor Freight Tools on pretty soon, they have a few knick-knacks that I can't pass up, and they are cheap knick- knacks too, I got a pocket full of coupons! After there I might go up and down the aisles at Walmart, but I doubt it. I know how it feels to be weak from sickness so I'll prolly hurry back to help my friend when she wants help, she helped me when I was down. She came home from work after she'd only been there for 3 hours or so, her boss is the one who suggested she go home. She worked from home pretty good. But, the change in the voice is a real good indicator of really being sick. I remember when I first was getting sick late Fri. nite, you'd think I was Barry White talking to the ladies! lol My friend's voice didn't get all deep like that, but it was much different sounding. I have an Adam's Apple you know, altho I am a pipsqueak my voice gets deep! On medicine, I still go with what my Grandfather used to say, "If you take medicine for a cold you'll get better in about 7 days, if you don't take any medicine you'll get better in about a week". Haha, I guess what he was saying is he knows too, there is no cure for the common cold! I was telling my friend that, (again apparently..lol) Cutting me off, she says, "yeah, I know what your Grandpa said, I know there's no cure for a cold but the symptoms can be relieved". I guess I'm just one for not relieving symptoms either, it'll be gone when it's gone I guess!

I still have 13 dollars and some change left on a Walmart gift card that I got from my part-time employer, for being a home healthcare aide. I can always whip that out if they ask me why I've been there so long and my cart is empty! I had a dream the other day, I was in the dollar store so long they had towed my car away! In that dream I got out to the parking lot and couldn't find my car! I went back inside and they were like "ot oh, we had that car towed". I remember I couldn't believe it, I told them good! I said "that it is a classic car and it's probably nicer than your car, if it has any damage on it your paying to fix it, I know that car inside and out"!
She says, "we thought it was abandoned because it's been here all day". I said, "yeah, it's been here all day because I was the first one in the store this morning"! It was an all black 1968 Dodge Charger, totally restored, although I don't really have one or never had, it's okay to dream isn't it?! I told her, "I can't believe you had my freaking car towed off". They were in tears, not so much because I was scolding them but because they felt so bad about it. I remember those cars well, as a kid, those kind of cars were everywhere, I was born in 1967. I remember going with my Dad cruising on a popular cruising road (Noland Rd., aka the "Miracle Mile") in his 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner with a 440 in it, that was so much fun. I wish that car was still around, but it's long gone. My maternal Grandma even had a 1970 Dodge Coronet with a 440 in it. But, it was a 4 door, it was just a grocery getter for her, cool cars were everywhere back in the day. We had so many cool cars that were just family cars, a Javelin, a 1964 Impala, the Roadrunner, I'm sure there's more that I don't remember. Even my paternal Grandma had a 1970 AMC Rambler. An uncle even had a Gremlin back in the day. Nothing really special about a Gremlin I guess but I always wanted to put a great big engine in one.
The memories of the roads then with all the gas-guzzlers and muscle cars is real nice!
Will

I heard we have a chance of the white stuff on Saturday night and Sunday. Not much accumulation but enough that we notice it. But they said also it's too soon to know for sure. I want it sooooo bad!!!! I wanna drive in it!! lol. Just not the ice. That's not fun. lol

Wow, the white stuff already! I like driving in it too. In the Dodge Durango, not so much my little car. I didn't have it last Winter, but it can't be too good in the snow. It's still got the dealer tires on it, so I think that means their pretty smooth. But, the plan is to get tires for it soon. Not too much joyriding in the Durango though, the gas mileage is still terrible. Yeah, ice and cars ain't a very good combination. In a1996 freak October snowstorm, a tree branch fell from snow on tree leaves and dented my old classic 1972 truck, in a bad 2002 icestorm, a branch (of many hundreds) fell from the weight of ice and messed up the sideview mirror of my small car. Here's what ice did to my Grandma's yard in 2002. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I remember that storm like it was yesterday. That was a really bad storm. We couldn't get out of our driveway for several hours due to the whole yard and driveway being covered in branches.

That was one nasty storm. I'm glad that doesn't happen every year! Ahh... memories, although our family didn't really come together to clean up debris, I was the only one (besides my Grandma towards the end of the cleanup) that wanted to do the cleanup! It was a one acre rural property, it wasn't a residential yard like here. I'll dig up a photo of the place that I took then from the top of the street. That neighbor there in the photo with all the Emerald Arborvitaes had his residential power line severed by a tree branch, he was without power for a week. We were only without power for 2 days. In the photo, the place I cleaned up was where that brick house is and 2 other houses there, that's my 72' Ford truck in the photo, that's the little car that had one of its sideview mirrors messed up by a fallen branch. Hard to believe it will be 10 years since that storm in a couple of months!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

This photo shows the final pile of sticks, it was huge. It made quite a grand fire! For scale that is my paternal Grandmother. She was only 5 feet tall but the pile was as tall or taller than her! She was the only other person in my family that didn't have a bad back.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

This one is from my house on the left side (West) of that earlier photo, thats the Maple tree in the earlier photo, very messy! The other photo here is the smaller sticks that my Grandmother and me raked up and burned in a big pile.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

That other photo doesn't show too good what it did to his Emerald Arborvitaes, they were bent to the ground, and this was when they were small. They were really a spectacle in the ice a few years later!
These 2 photos are 3 years apart. In the first 2002 photo, they were bent but the whole thing was bent the same way, in 2005 (the second photo) they were bent but right down the middle! These are the same plants, just different angles in the yard, see the Pampas Grass, it's all the same, it was wretched in the ice too. He didn't prune down the Pampas Grass or tie up the Arborvitaes for the ice.
That popular forecaster predicts that there will be more ice than usual here this Winter because of the way things are setting up North and South of here. Man, I still can't believe Don Harman of Fox 4 news here in KCMO committed suicide, I use to watch that channel because of him, he was entertaining.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

10 years!!! It still seems like yesterday!!! We had a brush pile that was at least 8-10 feet tall and just as wide. It's still out there in the pasture next to our house too. Alot smaller now due to age but still there.

THREAD CLOSED!!! NEW THREAD!! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1232174/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.