What's Happening in your neck of the woods? Come chat....

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I guess Zorro is one of the contestants - couldn't hear over the roar of the crowd!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

And the clown wins!! by a landslide!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Beautiful butterfly! Guess she'd get her "wings clipped" to get home - can't fly in this weather, can't drive, and can't put a coat over them lol

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

and that's the end - we had a wonderful time looking at all the people and enjoying time with our friends :-)
We never get any Hallowe'en visitors on Hallowe'en (most we've gotten is 3, so not worth the effort or expense....)

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Great pics Susan .. you and Bob had awesome costumes ....
Long as a good time was had by all .. that's what it's all about ^_^

Well .. the 'WAIT' command, or, in our case STAY PIPER .. works only if one of us is FILLING the car door .. as in blocking an exit from the car ..
Lilly won't move, but Piper will attempt it ,, I bought the type of seat belt that is more or less a 'line' run between one side of the car to the other hitched onto the seat belts .. the fellow was quite confident it'd work .. we'll see ..

Feel not too bad .. so am keeping my fingers crossed that this cold is just a 'touch'.

Off to walk the pooches before it rains ( or 'S' word)

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

please don't mention the "s" word, k Marilynne?
lol on Piper not STAYing unless someone blocks the way lol :-) Hope the line works!
btw - ever since I got this new-to-me puter I can no longer do the happy faces - dunno why?!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Kyle came and we worked on closing in the back deck, got 3/4 done and he had to go to work for a few hours, Greg said they would drop in and finish the 3rd side on their way home...could see that the wind was up so dressed as though there was. Blizzard going on, even gloves but found it wasn't as cold as I had thought..sure glad that will be behind me..only furniture left to store are the front deck and bedroom deck table/chairs sets, 2 linoleum floorcloths I painted which I'll put away after Halloween night and that does it, I can then sing 'let it snow/let it snow'

Susan, odd indeed, you wouldn't think the system would be different. sorry about mixing your friend Bob up with Doug..fun had by all by the looks of it..

" M" did you and the puppies get out for your ride? How's Lorna doing, bet not looking forward to winter..

Carol, how are you doing today, getting caught up after your trip?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty I am having a nice lazy weekend- no commitments!

Got the pots emptied and cleared off the back patio, need to bring the pots around from the front steps
Still some plants to clip off , maybe tomorrow!

Dug all the potatoes yesterday, still some veggies out there- too lazy to dig them!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I dug my few potatoes up about 1 month ago. Just babies mostly. Our neighbour gave us a 1/2 bushel of farm potatoes - much fresher than those you usually get from the stores.
Except that I saw in a HGTV show that Lynn Crawford (show - Pitching In) came to an Alberta farm to get the best potatoes. NE of Calgary, and I can't remember the name of the area - began with "S".

well, time to make supper - cya L8tr!

Our potatoes have been dug for a bit .. now we face the age old task of STORING them .. as we live in a corefloor (one level) home, there is NO basement .. so its a challenge .. however, this year Gordon did NOT go overboard with growing too many of them .. in years past he would grow 4 kinds, now we're down to 2.
We have stored them at a friends .. but .. it's more than a bit inconvenient.

Am so happy I don't live on the East coast right now .. SNOW and lots of it !! Have seen pics of the poor trees .. of course so many without power as well .. perhaps this El Nino chatter is correct? Our snowblower is all set to go should the need arise .. I'm going to have to be very careful with the shoveling this year !!

Have decided to make a 'from scratch' lasagna .. so heading into town for 'the stuff' .. have no idea which day I'll do this .. but this week sometime.

Have a safe a 'BOO'TIFUL Hallowe'en ^_^

~M~

This message was edited Oct 31, 2011 8:51 AM

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

Happy Halloween everyone..

So far I've only had about 36 normally just under 100...glad I bought pop as one can always use it. The chocolate bars on themother hand are addictive. Lol
Found the kids to be extra courteous and almost all wearing imaginative costumes designed from materials found in the home..nice to see...got to wonder why there are fewer kids out, weather wise it's perfect.

"m" time for me to make spaghetti sauce, always make enough and freeze sauce so I can use for lasagna..

Oops here comes 6 or 7

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, yikes almost afternoon..

Sunny but cold..brrr even have micro heater on..might just be me though
Had doctor's appt. yesterday afternoon and he talked me into flu shot at same time, don't normally get one because the years I have I was sick that entire winter..let's hope this new type of needle is all it's cracked up to be.

Sitting here watching mall staff take down Halloween and put up Christmas decorations..going to be a long 2 months it being up already, am hoping the the christmas Carols won't come until December lol

Just finished the last of the clipping for mom's rag quilt, now comes the sewing...don't you think I should bring in my sewing machine??? think that's puching the ok to do crafts a bit too far lol..now if Paul was away for the week just might do.

Carol, is relaxing helping you any? Finish bringing in the veggies, don't they say some veggies are better tasting after a freeze?

"M" you made lasagna sound so yummy that I got a hankering for tomato maccaroni..mega hamburger in it and mashed potatoes..made enough to last all week..one good thing, supper is ready for me tonight.

Seeing Christmas unfold here at the mall, and having pretty well all my Christmas shopping done I'm looking at what gifts I'm making and panicking..sooo will make up a schedule of what needs to be done when so I don't think I'm on easy street and let things slide by.

This weekend I'm off to Buffalo with friend Darlene and maybe Ann will join me,her SIL was burried yesterday so not sure she will come..guess I can pick up a few more pressies..it's coming you know!

Betty, watching 'Xmas Arrive' in a Mall has got to be kind of exciting, but, stressy at the same time.
For your sake, and the sake of all the mall workers, i haope they hold off on the Xmas music until December !!

The lasagna was good, don't make it that often, so, it's a treat .. get to have it again tonight as well ^_^

Off to the clinic for bloodwork for Lorna this morning, then a quick trip to the border to pick up a parcel ..
I actually got a few gifts purchased for Xmas the other day .. amd valliantly trying to have it ALL done by the end of November, as my volunteering schedule for December is getting chuck full !!!

Brrrrrrrr cool one out there this morning .. not sure of the temp but am wagering a guess at perhaps 1 or 2C
DARK out!! Wait til the time change this weekend !!!

Best get movin

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

No Christmas music in the mall but Suzanne (SIL) here in the office has Christmas Carols playing..am hoping it's a novelty otherwise it's going to be a long 2 months..

I had it easy this year, 2 wanted snowmobile passes (yikes when I first bought them it was $35 a year, now $200 if before Dec. 1st..) sure glad I have them..then 3 the new Sony e-reader, Jeff already downloaded 1,500 books on them so ready to wrap..mom wanted rag quilt..by tonight it will be finished it..now working on 3 (12 Months of Christmas) quilts and am hoping to have them done by end of November, that leaves 1 stained glass lamp to do/shoes and guitar strings to pick up..few outfits for them all and I'm done..oops forgot Noah, he doesn't know what he wants, so going to give him a dealine or miss the boat..want it all done and wrapped and under the tree..beat my last year's record...sure makes life easier when Dec. comes and you can virtually enjoy the festivities.

Goint to buffalo this weekend, next weekend and again 1st weekend of Dec, then Markham Fairgrounds Craft show Nov 19th and stopping into Ganz..so between all of it I should be done..hurrah!!

Was raining here this morning, although I'm in the mall it's cool..have micro furnace on..no wonder I'm coming down with a cold, heat up then off, heat up then of...brrrr can't get rid of chill. Sure hope it's not the 'flu' needed I got the other day, warned Dr. that the year I had it, I was sick that entire year off and on..he guaranteed me it wouldn't happen, one day later sniffling???

Lucky You "M" to live so close to the border..I'd be there all the time..lol
my boys think the USA government should give me dual citizenship..guess to get that I'd have to find me a USA man..lol

Sharing this email ..............................

This is sooooo funny!! It's a group of high school students playing silent monks and "singing" the Hallelujah Chorus.

The person who came up with this is brilliant.

Look at the feet of the monks also!

And yes, you do need to turn the sound on to fully appreciate this. It's a hoot! Plus, who doesn't like to hear it, at any time of year.

http://voxvocispublicus.homestead.com/Index.html

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Omg wonder how long they had to practice to get it so down pat...gave me my mornimg smile..thanks

It's a cold one out there, heavy duty frost, have my suitcase at the door waiting for Suzanne SIL to pick me up, girls going to Buffalo will pick me up from work this afternoon..hoping to be stateside by 6pm.

Because Sailor's back end has been giving her problemsive left instruction for Cathy should she need a vet..know have to do the nasty soon, just hope I'm home when it has to be done.

So now what do you all have planned for the weekend! Weatherman co-operating?

Have a great trip to Buffalo Betty .. have fun and I hope you find some great deals !!

Yep .. the border IS close (ish) and hour down and back, but, all that's at the General Store there is the Postal outlet where you pick up parcels .. you can also buy 'nick nacs and bric a brac' there .. some lovely stained glass items .. there's candy and a line of Karhart clothing, and some MAJOR touristy stuff like Tee shirts and caps.
There's also a gas station which folks from TBay frequent. Gas is .97/litre .. only drawback is the distance you must travel. Got kind of a scare yesterday .. usually you check in with the US Customs going over, they ask you the pre requisite questions .. "where are you from, where are you going and why, do you have anything to mail, who owns the car" .. on the way back (the store is like a mile away from the US Customs) .. you pass the US Customs and head for the Canadian side to declare .. well ... as we approached the US border patrol .. we could see flashing lights stopping people on the US side on the way back !! Never done that before .. anyway .. 2 Home Land Security officers chatted us up, wanted to know if we had .." GUNS, liquor, cigarettes OR over $10,000.00 " .. I laughed .. they asked for the windows to be opened, they checked inside then said 'on you go ladies, and, have a nice day' !!
I'll be going back in a week or so for another package .. will have to leave my $10,000.00 at home ^_^

Not sure what is up this weekend, likely more yard stuff .. never ending that ..

Betty, I hope Sailor hangs on, but, if not, you know my thoughts will be with you.

Off for coffee with the gurls this morning .. still feel a bit punky, but, hope to shake it off !!!

TTFN

~M~

Sigh .. will miss Andy Rooney's bushy eyebrows . He was asked to 'trim them up' but told the producers of '60 Minutes' that he believed you 'had to work with what you'd been given' .. a wonderful come back !!

At 92, I wish him sweet and peaceful repose

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I didn't know that Andy Rooney had passed away - what a wonderful man...... He kept such a staunchly solemn face and made people laugh all the time he was making them think seriously about world issues.... what a man!

This message was edited Nov 6, 2011 2:01 PM

Well said Susan .. that's exactly what I think as well ..

Kind of have had an exciting couple of days .. a few weeks ago our Municipality asked its residents to volunteer for Rick Hansens pass through our 'hamlet' .. Lorna thought it'd be a great thing to do .. mind you .. it happens here in JANUARY .. so .. I submitted our names.
Last week someone from the Township office called and asked Lorna is she would carry a torch for 2 blocks!! Welllllllllllllllll ... Lorna thought about it and felt it would be a bit difficult for her .. when I heard about it .. I offered to do it for her .. so, we'll see what happens .. at the best of times January can be a nasty month here .. mind you .. 'things' have changed a lot over the past few years.

Hope Betty has left SOME bargains in the States ...

Is anyone getting snow? None here .. but windy like you wouldn't believe ..

TTFN

~M~

Attaching a pic of my NEW Granddog and my grandson .. my son rescued this poor pup from an abusive home .. WHY oh WHY do people spend money on purchasing a pedigreed dog (or any animal for that matter) and then abuse them ?? His name is Mojo and he's a 9month old Bulldog. He joins 2 Boston Terriers, Molly and Winston ..

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I agree about the pet's abusive homes - obviously they are not mature enough to know what they can handle when they take on one of God's creatures - do they expect God to look after it? Not, when humans interfere!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

'M' Verrrrry Sweeeeeet!
Alberta Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

well, I'm up - I was peacefully sleeping when my DH woke me up to say he's got a virus (Trojan) and wants me to fix his system AGAIN.......

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Susan - if he's got a virus AGAIN, maybe he should look after getting it fixed on his own. And maybe he should review his surfing habits.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning everyone, lots of bargains in the States I left for you, best you go get them before the weekend as I go back with 3 heavy duty shoppers, shop until you drop..weather there and at home is spectacular, didn't even have to wear a jacket today.

Must have had wind over the weekend, all the leaves are now in my drive and need to be rid of..will call Kyle tonight and ask him if he wants a job but only if he's not scheduled to work at the arena!

Adorable photo "M" both of the dog and grandson lol

That would be a hard walk for sure in the dead of winter but such a worthy cause..when will they let you know!

ViolaAnn, yep, was going to say same thing..I'd be teaching him Susan how to do his own repairs...

Speaking of repairs, wasn't going to fix my computer downstairs as I now have ipad and new laptop BUT want a system I can let the kids play with so will have to check to see how much the fix-it bill is.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Our computer friend, Brent, walked him through fixing it - I know how, but was too tired to think straight after being asleep for 3 hours, then couldn't get back to sleep until 3am.
Bob called me his Angel, cuz he loves me so, and I helped him awwww
He's really a sweetheart, but his forte is not programs - he can put a computer together, but relies on me to fix the programs.........
Anyway, it's fixed, and now Bob knows how to do it.

Sweet of you, Betty, to let the kids have your old system - once you fix & empty it of stuff so it runs faster,eh?

Computer chatter ^_^ must be THAT time of year ..
Purchased a new desktop tower today, will likely take in the old one for transfers early next week and .. voila .. MERRY XMAS Lorna LoL .. got what I consider a very good deal .. the old desktop tower sounds like WestJet taking off at times!! The fan needs repair, and, on a 10 yeard old system .. well .. rather buy new with a 2yr warranty than throw money at an old one ..
I'm, hopefully, going to be able to set it up with no problems once we get it home. Gord is usually not afraid to hitch stuff up .. in all honestly, most things either fit, or, they don't (into the back)

Betty glad to hear you had a good time , AND< left some bargains ....
I am ALMOST done !!!!! Have to take my Mum's wedding rings into a jeweller for cleaning and have them put on a gold chain .. am giving them to Brooklyn .. it's her 13th Xmas, and she is pretty mature .. time to pass them on. My bff Jo, would like to see me have them mounted in a 'shadow box' along with a pic of my Mom .. only problem is .. I have NO really GOOD pics of my Mom .. she is either 'deer in the headlights' or making a goofy face .. will have to keep looking I guess ..

W I N D here today .. awaiting the storm Wpg had today UGggggggggggg ..

Take care all

~M~

This message was edited Nov 7, 2011 4:49 PM

Victoria Harbour, ON

Glad Susan you got everything up and running again..makes for a happier life..life of technology, isn't it grand?

"M" if it wasn't for work I'd only have ipad..absolutely love it. With having all my work programs on the lap top I'm terrified the kids who know a zillion times more about computers might play and puff there goes my programs so best have a desktop BUT truth be known, I'm more likely to send all my program into lala land.

I think it's a wonderful thing to give the rings, she will absolutely be thrilled and in later years will wear them..who knows might save her future fiance a lot of $$$ lol

Went to lunch at 2:30 and it was nice, an hour out and the wind was up and you could feel temps dropping. Someone said by the weekend we might have a few flurries, you know people, they say such things just to get you going.

Jeff's eldest Braedon turned 14 today, just called him. Said he had no homework, going out for supper and that they day was just 'fun'..

Told him as I did his brother, that their Christmas gift came in 2 parts..1 part Birthday gift and the other for Christmas so no surprise till then..he said he'd be thrilled regardless what he received..they sure know how to work their grandma..

Moved us to .....................

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1229203/

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.