What's Happening in your neck of the woods? Come chat....

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thought this rainy day we could start a new thread and perhaps add a bit of sunshine pictures to get us out of the daldrums...

Come chat...newcomers ALWAYS welcome!!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1217244/

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Thanks for the move over Betty ^_^

It's bright and sunny here in Thunder Bay, a bit chilly, but, supposed to creep up to near 17 - 18C .. we'll take it !!!

Not sure what the day has in store for the company, am thinking perhaps a trip to one of the local wildlife areas to see the deer meandering about.
I do know Chinese food is on tap for supper, so, no cooking for me .. HURRAY !!!!

Have a bit of a sore throat/husky voice, am hoping it is a passing thing .. sure don't need a cold .

Susan .. so happy no one was hurt in your 'duster' .. still it's upsetting ...

Take care all, and, enjoy your day !!

Victoria Harbour, ON

We're only a couple a degrees away from snow with our low of the day..have a micro heater next to me going to take away the chill..dark/gloomy/rainy day..glad it's better for you and you can get some outings done.
Don't you have deer in the back yard you can watch..lol

Brought some crafts in today to keep me away and am watching ipad movies, now does that sound like a hard day at the office? lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

Carol posted of previous thread the following:

Susan she is from St Martins United Church.
-lst name is Natasha and a double last name that I can't remember.

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" forgot to wish you a "Happy Birthday" no wonder you aren't cooking tonight...time to celebrate!

Hope your day is filled with sunshine and a nice pressie or two wouldn't hurt...

Thanks Betty .. nice to be going out for a meal tonight .. because, the rest of the week I am going to be a cooking fiend LoL
Have gotten some lovely gifts .. the furries even gifted me with several pairs of winter gloves in a rainbow of colours, Piper was able to nab a pair and scoot off .. he LOVES gloves !!! Have yet to crawl under the bed to retrieve them.

SPLENDIFEROUS day here .. sunny and temps near 18C .. can't ask for much more than that ^_^

Off n running

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Just got back from Michaels..light rain and cold so enjoy your birthday weather and the not cooking part of it!!!
Glad you got goodies for you and the furries..nothing like sharing.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thanks, Carol - I know the pastor that did the "kirking of the tartan" is not the same lady then.

♫♪ Happy Birthday, Marilyn!!! ♪♫

Wednesday already! Time is going by quickly that's for sure ... the company is enjoying being pampered, and, at times I feel a bit OVER extended, but, that's life !!

My 96 yr old maternal Aunt is in hosp. She fell on Friday .. physically she is OK, but, mentally .. well .. her brightness and quick wit has faded .. she is confused and fearful. Feel bad for her son, an only child, bachelor .. retired high school math teacher .. he has always been very close to his Mom and, seeing her confused has shaken him. Guess we'll have to wait and see if this confusion passes or, not.

The pups are off to the groomers bright and early, i then have a 'nursey breakfast', then physio, go and visit my Aunt, come home and do lunch with with the company, then cook another supper .. I think tomorrow is going to be dinner OUT!!!
I do like company, but, sometimes I'd just like to be 'blank' for a half hour LoL

Thanks for the BDay wishes ...

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" sorry to hear about your Aunt, let's hope after a few days her memory will improve. I think perhaps on the next visit you should come down here..for 2 reasons, 1 so you can relax and sightsee and be pampered and the other, you pass right by my door..lol could be a stop over..

Pooches must like being pampered...both Sailor and Missy got skunked..stopping off at the vets so I can purchase skunk off in hopes it helps.

We're going to have a glorious sunshine Thanksgiving weekend here...how about in your neck of the woods?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Supposed to be 3/14 c on Monday. Cool fall weather here.
I'm home today - relaxing from helping Jackie at her office. Think I'll get busy making her some business cards, etc.
I'm also cleaning in prep for our Thanksgiving Dinner on Monday - have about 7 coming over (with us makes 9). Lots of food, but only a small area to eat, but there's always the living room for afterwards lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

Maybe it will be a sunshine day and can sit outside..make Thanksgiving even more memorable

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

We have a large enuff deck for that, but I think several would be too cold when they're in their late 70's and mid 80's years old..........

Can't believe the speed with which this week is passing !!! As always, my adversary is 'TIME' !! Seems the days would be better suited to having 36 hours in them.
By the time supper is done, and the dishes are cleared away .. I am NOT interested in much more than my hour of Coronation St and then BED!
But .. there are things to be done .. have pies to make for the dinner Saturday .. rendered the pie pumpkin so that's done, and making the pie is easy .. as for the apple pie, well .. the 2 automatic peelers I bought are sure going to be used well !! Will be having 9 for dinner on Saturday.

Today is 'leaf peeping' day .. this area is resplendent, the shades of gold are beautiful. we don't have many Maples, but those we do have just glow amidst the golds ..

Supposed high of 21C today .. and .. THIRTY (30)C with the humidex tomorrow !!! Hope that's a misprint LoL.

Going to try and get some more sleep .. gosh I find this being UP every night to be frustrating !!!

TTFN Don't forget to vote ^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Heading to the poles after work "M" and yes won't let the day slide by without doing so..lesser of two evils this time..if I may express myself, the economy doesn't warrant taking a chance although I thought I might, it's not the time to try a newbie..my opinion only!!

The colors were not as spectacular as other years and color is all but done, except on my lawn where it all lays, now is the time for raking, not so enjoyable!

I'm having my Thanksgiving on Sunday, will pick up cooking pumpkins so I can make pies early Saturday..small crowd this year, perhaps 8.. Others drove here when I had mom's eighty'th a few weeks ago..

Mega outside work ..everything has to be put away, always a big chore and a sad time of year..

I'm with you, hate this up most of the night, mind won't shut down! Tempted to take something for sleeping but don't want to get into that habit..

Best get a move on

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hi - tired from long day - just finished last part, which was to start cataloguing books in the church library......
back tonight or tomorrow afternoon, to chat....

PLUNK!! Here I be once again ... would be making pies as the house sleeps, but don't want to make noise ..

These busy days are making me weary .. kind of happy there are only 2 days left. Today Lorna's parents will treat us to Swiss Chalet which they will pick up and bring to an eldely Aunties home and share with her. This Aunt is a good friend of my Aunt who is hospitalized, we all went and visited her yesterday and she was as bright as a new penny!! However, I met her son on the way out and he told me that Thursday morning she was very confused ... am wondering if perhaps she is given sedation at bedtime .. guess we'll just have to wait and see.

All in all the visit is going well, but, Sunday can't come quickly enough .. even though we are up at 4am to get to the airport.. piece of cake for me !!

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" think you are working much too hard trying to make everything perfect for your guests and are so overworked doing so that there is no rest, you are unable to sleep! Today, try and take more time for yourself, maybe walking the furries on a long walk!

Mouth watering as I smell the pies cooking. Did my groceries all except for the turkey..as I'm working from home today and my shift is from 8:30-3:00 I'll head out at 7am to pick one up..that way I won't be fighting the masses later in the day.

Think I'll go see who is the provincial leader, minority/majority? And who got in here in my neck of the woods

Enjoy a morning coffee

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Someone said once that they didn't think we had an election this year in Alberta - we do, on Oct 18th- for the Premier's position.

Victoria Harbour, ON

With minority gmt unless they can talk someone to cross over the floor to their camp likely there will be another in the next 2 years..wouldn't be a happy camper if that was to happen..so many $$$ spent unwisely if they were to have one!

What a sunshine day, even though I work from home I stay close to the telephones, of course having craft romonly a few feet away helps. Once 3pm rolls along likely I'll put a few hours working outside.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh I missed this new thread!
Belated happy birthday Marilyn!
Well it was not exactly a 'public' election Susan only members of the PC party. Interesting result.lst female premier in Alberta.
Weather was lovely here until yesterday then it rained all day neither the dogs or I went out and today it is still miserably cold, we did go for a walk but it was not pleasant. Better promised for the weekend.
Wed a garden friend came over to help with starting fall garden cleanup and we worked in the back for 4 hours- got lots done.Still lots to do but I don't like to take down anything that is still looking good, there are still a lot of things blooming in the front garden. Still have not had a hard frost.
Hope it is decent weather in Ontario- I fly down next Wed for 10 days.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ooh you should be here this weekend, hard pressed to remember a Thanksgiving weekend with such hot weather! That's the problem, you so want summer to last that you don't want to cut anything down, just do what must however it's only a matter of a few weeks and snow is on the ground and then you are kicking yourself..

Been walking kind of funny past week and foot between the arches hurting, finally sat down and looked, big bulge, can't miss it, not sure what is up with that..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol - then why did I get a "elections Alberta - Chief Electoral Office" voting registration card in the mail for "Calgary Klein" division? I registered online for it.
Calgary isn't great about advertising any kind of elections.........

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan probably because there is an election expected next year and they are updating the voters lists.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Glad ours is done with..think they said they had the poorest turn out for any election..people are getting so lax about voting, should be mandatory don't you think?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I guess....... still, Calgary & Alberta are slow to really let us know when there's an election..... lol

Betty .. wondering if the 'bulge' is a 'ganglion', http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ganglion-cysts/DS00767

Suffice to say, I am very disappointed with the election results .. North Western Ont is hurting re the Forest industry, and the 2 Liberal MPPs are laughable .. but back in by the skins of their teeth.

Pumpkin pie done, and apple .. dressing made .. have to put dinner in the oven by 9am so we can eat by 2pm.
Also want to go and visit my Aunt .. still in hospital .. not quite as confused, but, not out of the woods yet.

Weather .. well .. I can only describe perfection in a couple of ways . just absolutely awesome temps here, and sun galore .. hope it stays for you Carol ..

Off I go

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Apparently "m" storm brewing Florida way, say we'll get tail end mid week but they've been wrong before.

Conservative got in in my neck of the woods, know him personally and I'm none too happy.,2 nd time elected. Guess it's more who represents our areas, who fights for out local needs is important..

Well, you've everything under control..tomorrow should be a semi relaxing day.. Tomorrow I start with the pies..pumpkin,lemon meringue, blue berry and apple..we are about six so let's hope everyone takes their favorite pie home,,always a family feud, jokingly of course, who I like better and make them their pie, problem is to get mom going they keep changing what their favorite pie is so I make one of each..oops forgot banana cream

Will go check out the link...you are all so knowledgeable re. Health issues, drats takes all my time to know what side my heart is. Lol

Ramping up here to start into the preps .. but just HAD to pop in to announce that the temp at midnight last night was 18C on the patio, AND, it has NOT gone down !!! Add to that a southerly breeze (brisk at that) and it is one 'strange' day.

Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable holiday weekend !!

Take care

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hi busy ladies!!
Just popping in for a second - My plans for our anniversary are to have Thanksgiving Dinner here - our anniversary is the same day lol
I got a lovely surprise last night! Our friend/music teacher, Nami, is home from Japan (where she's from - moved to Calgary from there 4 years ago)!!!! so naturally I invited her for Thanksgiving! She asked if she could bring a friend. I had to hem & haw about that, because we're already, with her, having 10 people! This is a small single width trailer after all, but I said to her "the more the merrier"! I mean that, sincerrely! I am going to have to get another table though, cuz our round table only has 1 leaf and we need more space LOL
Our table, when it's open, butts up against the loveseat, so I'm going to put the loveseat on the other side of the living room which means I have to move other stuff from there. Now it's situated to view the TV but we won't be doing that on Monday, and in the meantime I can cuddle with Bob on the couch! :-)

today I went to the church to continue cataloguing the library books - a friend is on the committee to check appropirateness, and she called out the names while I wrote the author & title, and later (after Monday) I will add them in Excel and create Dewey Decimal catagories and labels for them (much later - will take 2 months to get it all done - at least a few hundred, and they've got to be put in order and labels made. We're only doing this when we can, so about 4 hours/week.

Well, going to go clean out the fridge today, and will have Refrigerator Dinner tonight lol Gotta make room for dinner for 10, and then leftovers afterwards! I told Bob about our plans for tonight and he didn't look like he thought I could do a tasty dinner that way LOL We shall see...

DONE/FINITO/KAPUT :-) Dinner is over, dish washer is humming away (not me) and the parents are getting things squared away for the trip back .. will leave for the airport at 4:30am .. YIKES.. !!!

My Aunt is out of hospital and HOME .. YAY .. will see her tomorrow ..

Susan .. all the best with your dinner .. lordy .. my kitchen was so FULL .. pots and pans and tupperware everywhere LoL

Heading for bed soon ..

TTFN

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Here's for all celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend:
http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=WQ26144948

I can't use a dishwasher for my dishes, because they're rather antique, and 'sides - don't have one! I did, but gave it away when we were "showing" our home for selling. We aren't selling, but now I don't have the portable - took too much room, anyway!! So, dishes for 10 people on Monday........ yikes! Well, I splurged and got 2 sets of 2 disposable Catering trays (with the sterno) which means less bowls (I think..........)!

And may I offer this for all the Canadian Gardeners :-)

http://www.jacquielawson.com/notecards/pickup/2994214995801?source=jl999

Susan .. my dishwasher was OVERLOADED last evening .. and, as a result, had to handwash some of the utensils .. perish the thought LoL

Lorna's parents are winging their way to Toronto, was strange being out on the roads at 4am !! ALMOST hit a big ol'skunk !!!

Gonna catch me a nap, then commence the doing of the laundry .. be still my heart !!!

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thank you for the card, Marilyn - lovely! Yikes on the SKUNK!
lol are you having fun doing the laundry?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Beautiful "M". Just finishing a long day..thanksgiving day was wonderful with the family..few things to clean up and then bedtime for me...boys are all watching movies so likely won't miss me!

Waving to all

What an awesome day today!! Hard to believe we are getting such amazing temps here in North Western ON.

Walked the property today to take in the colours, took some pics and will share a couple.

Hope everyone has enjoyed their weekend and is 'sufficiently suffonsified' in the turkey dept ^_^

Pic #1 is the back trail we walk .. always watching for bears of course ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

This is the Poplar tree beside the garage .. just a gorgeous gold. We have few Maples, so reds are uncommon here bouts.

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

Spectacular photo's "M". Brilliant yellow, not much red here..Melanie DIL. dropped in to take leftover pies and turkey home, thank goodness otherwise we know who would be eating it all! Did manage to put 75% of yard art and furniture away, got the two ponds put to bed, yikes, I could be nicknamed swamp lady. Lol. Didn't close in back and side deck, leaving that for next weekend..didn't take top odd gazebo, am hoping to do that one night this week, only about 1/2 hr...Melanie said over the weekend she would have Kyle come do the leaves ..I'll be thrilled if all is done before it's necessary to freeze my fingers! Lol. Most years I do...

jeff, my youngest rode his 2 wheel bike from Toronto to here on Saturday, the, grandkids, DIL and my boys put in 40 yesterday so when Jeff woke up this morning a bit achy and I suggested I drive him and his bike to Barrie he agreed..he should be home soaking about now.

He and Julie are planning a ten day trip from here to NYC and then take the train back..he figures May/June..

So are you all feasted out and tired..hope you've all enjoyed this weather and celebrated Thanksgiving in a manner that you most enjoyed.. Our weather reached 78 this
afternoon...can't beat that now can you?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No feasting for me. Picked up what I presume was a case of food poisoning Friday and was sick all weekend, starting to improve now, hope it continues as I fly to Toronto on Wed!

My neighbor who hosts a local thanksgiving dinner just brought me a plate of turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, hope I can eat it, getting tired of little amounts of bland things to eat and drink.

Lost about 5 lbs!

Hope the weather in Toronto and area stays nice and warm- will be in the vicinity for a little over a week.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ahhh, now that wasn't good!! Wonderful to have neighbors that keep an eye on you. 5lb is a lot weight in such a short time, hoping folks in Toronto can fatten you up! If you don't improve, heaven forbid, could you fly out at another time?

Sorry to say they are calling for rain most of the week, at least here, let's hope a front moves in and brings sunshine to toronto area. Do you have someone to sit with the furries?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.