CLOSED: Come Join us - Fourth Annual Tomato & Pepper Seed Exchange !

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

They weren't there last night, but I'll check again tonight.

I'll be on Nantucket Saturday through Tuesday, so it's a good thing these are seeds and not rooted cuttings!

(I recall that mail was very slow in the other direction, also. My theory was that we are so close that they had someone walk, rather than put it on a plane.)

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I think most of us won't be planting our seeds for a while, so any delay only keeps the excitement going strong! I can't imagine doing all you do and still handling this at such a top notch level!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Today I mailed seeds to "sol451".

Thanks....Heather

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Today I mailed seeds to:

* mooiemoestuin
* sequee

Thanks....Heather

This message was edited Dec 11, 2011 3:03 PM

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Got my seeds today. Wow Im a little overwhelmed. Cant believe all the extras. I havent had a chance to check them all out., But THANK YOU. I may contact some of the individual participants to ask questions, if thats OK? This is better then Christmas, I actually got what I wanted. Now I hope Santa brings dirt. Will that fit down the Chimney?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Today I mailed seeds back to:

* poisondartfrog

Thanks.....Heather

Long Beach, CA

Got my seeds in the mail yesterday! Heather, thank you for taking the time to make sure we all get these happy surprises! You bring back the excitement that many of us haven't felt since we stopped believing in Santa :D

Yay for Heather, her amazing talent for organizing this ever-growing seed swap and the joy she brings!

Happy holidays to everyone, and to those who love it as much as I do, A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!

- Christine.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks for the updates everyone. So glad the seeds are arriving safely.

Tomorrow on my way to work, I am mailing seeds back to:

* nancyruhl
* risingcreek

That's it for everyone that participated from this forum. All of the envelopes are sent back as of tomorrow. Thanks for your participation and patience everyone. For some reason, filling the envelopes this year, took so much more time than usual. Next year, if I decide to do it again, I think I'm going to have to push forward the deadline by a week, so I'm not still stuffing envelopes in December when I should be getting ready for Christmas...LOL

Take care everyone. Have a wonderful Christmas. Take some time to enjoy with family, friends and of course...pets!

....Heather

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I can't imagine needing too participate again.lol But after receiving these seeds I can't imagine not participating. Heather-your work is much appreciated. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thank you, Heather, I got my seeds too! What a great present - MOUNDS of seeds, and MANY are very unfamiliar to me. I'll be enjoying researching them, growing and eating them!

Than you again, Heather, you are the Best!

Merry Christmass to you also, and happy gardening all through the new year.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

oh oh oh oh doing the happy dance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cant wait for the seeds to get here.

thank you heather for everything!

merry christmas !

Winnetka, CA

Merry Christmas to everyone! Nancy

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

...while visions of seedlings danced in their heads.

Merry Christmas and happiest of New Years!

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks again, Heather! The more I sort and research, the happier I am. What a huge collection, of seeds that are good for my location (plus the ambitious ones I asked for).

Merry and Happy holy days, to each according to their own tradition.
If we all celebrate whole-heartedly, hopefully the Sun will come back.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Was someone looking for Kumato?

I saw Kumato seeds for sale here:

http://www.mariseeds.com/seedcatalog/blacks.html

Kumato NEW
Rare variety from Australia. We will say that this is a massive producer of 3-6 ounce fruits that are chocolate brown with deep orange and frosty green stripes. Their thick walls make them excellent keepers. These are great for the home gardener, but would be great for market growers as well.

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I don't want to hijack this thread but I am very curious about this new Kumato tomato. My daughter-in-law picked up a package at Trader Joe's here in Scottsdale (produced in Mexico) but we have not eaten them yet. Then I read the above. According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumato) it is a licensed seed and only those farmers who pay for the rights to grow it may grow it and sell it. The seeds are not supposed to be available for public purchase. It is also a hybrid so what does one get when one plants the seeds from the tomatoes which is permitted for private use? It is also listed in several sites as originating in the Spanish Mediterranean with no mention of Australia. So where did Mariseeds get them from and are they the original Kumato? Maybe I'll try some seeds from the ones my daughter-in-law bought and see what happens!

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Well, every variety or ciltivar was once a hybrid.

I assumed this was a stabilized or "OP" strain because Wikipedia called it the "variety" 'Olmeca'.

("Kumato(R)" is just a marketing trademark.)

But I don't know whether it is F1 hybrid seed, or a stable strain. Since Syngenta makes a big deal oit of whom they will sell the seeds to, I guessed it was not F1. If it were F1, they shouldn't much care who gets the seeds, becuase they wouldn't come true at all in the seocnd generation (F2).

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

The Eagle has landed!!!

I can hardly wait to open the package and check 'em out.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Gardador--Have you tried the Kumato tomatoes yet? They sound fascinating. The thing about seeds is, they escape somehow. I have OSU Blueberry Tomatoes. Shh-h Not supposed to have them.
Kumato probably likes lots of heat and a long growing season like that of Australia and Mexico. Just as well that it wasn't in my package. I asked for and got lots of Russian varieties.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

yippee my seeds arrived today !!! i am going to so enjoy them. thank you again !

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Beebonnet, I tried the Kumato the other day at my son's house and thought they were quite good although my daughter-in-law had stored them in the fridge and I understand that storing them under 50 degrees affects their flavor. I am now back in PA so will see if I can find them around here. We don't have a Trader Joe's near us. I saved some seeds and will see what happens this summer. Since they are hybrid I question how true they will be. I am still curious where Mariseeds got hers from. I got some of the OSU as well in the exchange- Shh - that's between us and will try them for fun as well.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

wow i recd back so many more seeds then i sent in. just cannot say thank you enough!

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

Heather, once again you have reduced my tomato wish list to next to none. Thank you! Your efforts are always appreciated.
Alana

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I saw no tomatoes at my local Wal-Mart, so i checked a Safeway.

The closest they came was a small sign that said "Heirloom Tomatoes" with about 6 assorted tomatoes under it. They didn't even post names on them, just stickers with numbers!

Oh, well. Maybe stores tend to carry local tomatoes, and this is not a great climate for mid-season tomatoes.

I can't get over the fact that many stores around here, even fruit stands, sell tomatoes called "On The Vine", as if that were a variety. It appears to mean nothing more than the fact that they were harvested with a little stem remaining on each fruit.

???!!???

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Tomato ID Error: The seeds I sent out for Egg Yolk appear to be something else. I wondered the first time I grew them out, as they were said to be "bright yellow, like an egg yolk". Mine were more of a yellow-green, similar to the egg yolk of when you pull it ouT of a hard boiled egg. The taste was awesome, so I was delighted to have them - and maybe the description I'd read elsewhere was "off".

I got my seeds from FedCo, so when my friend was ordering seeds from them, I asked her to get me another pack, and this year's tomatoes looked identical to the before, so it obviously wasn't a case of a mix-up on my part. And once again, the tomato was beyond prolific, and superior in taste, so I just figured the color descriptions were off.

Last week my sister in Florida sent me a box with some of "my" egg yolk tomatoes and some of HER Egg Yolk tomatoes, and WOW! What a difference: in color, in size, and in flavor!

Bottom line: The ones I shared in the trade are NOT Egg Yolk, but they are certainly one of the best cherries I've ever tasted! That being said, I am sorry for the mix-up, but I hope you will grow them out and enjoy them!

Happy New Year to all!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.