What's Blooming in Your Garden VI

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow, it's a sunflower parade! thanks everyone for your photo. Whoa! J. Your garden is out of this world!

Athens, PA

Hard to believe we are already winding down - seems the season just barely got started.....

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes, Carolyn. Where has the growing season gone? Irene too is bringing cooler air. I hope it only brings cool air and not all the distruction of a storm for many folks in its path.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

J that first pic of bessera is just stunning. Love it. Makes them look miles high. Speaking of which, how come my sunflower are so short and stubby? ! Lol. Maybe they take after their gardener.

Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81
Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Love Caladium, not perennial here but i have to post this picture because i did not know that it flowers!!! I was only expecting foliage!!!! How pretty! I am going to try to store this bulb over the winter.

Athens, PA

I didn't know that Caldiums flowered either.....

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Carolyn, elephant ears' blooms are similiar to those of Caldium's. These didn't yield any bloom this year. But when the condition is right, they blooms also.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot Lava coneflowers and red salvia.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Pepper23, those are nice! Love the Baptisia leaves among them too. :)

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Love that hot lava! So pretty.
Don Juan today, A bit more open, and even more fragrant! I hope the new buds weather the expected storms this weekend. :(

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

My first gentian to ever survive in my yard, much less flower.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Goldenrod volunteer

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

A confused dicentra who thought it was spring yesterday.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

A dwarf double pomegranate (in a pot, not hardy).

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

some neighbors stopped by for a visit.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hehehe, love your neighbors Robin. Nice pix from the garden as well. I have planted one of those promagranate for my DD where she lives out west (zone 7b) it did well for many years, then last winter 'ole Man winter got the tree. I'm about to mail her one of the cuttings I took home couple of years ago.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Wish my dicentra would get confused! What a treat!
Love your neighbours. They're cute.

Athens, PA

My dicentra dies back to the ground - usually in July....

(Zone 7a)

My Dicentra usually dies back at least by early summer but the foliage is still there. I have columbine and Spirea still blooming.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Love that columbine! Is that one of the songbird hybrids?

Athens, PA

Kwanjin

such gorgeous columbine. Would you have any seeds from the columbine? I just love the color. Please send me a dmail.

(Zone 7a)

That Columbine is 'Origami Red and White.' I love that it's still going strong.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

It's just lovely. I have lots of columbine seeds to plant next spring. I think some were blue and white origami. I'll have to check.

Andover, MN(Zone 3b)

Am I too late for another sunflower photo? Always let some grow under the black oily bird feeder for the birds and bees.

Thumbnail by maithyme
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Lion's Ear

Thumbnail by jmorth
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Maithym, it's never too late. Welcome to our thread. J. I haven't seen a Lion's Ear before.

Athens, PA

J -

I have never grown or seen lions ear. How tall do they get and do the butterflies and hummingbirds like them?

Carolyn

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

Cat's Whiskers today

Thumbnail by catzgalore
Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

Lavender MG Tree

Thumbnail by catzgalore
Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

Purple Coneflower

Thumbnail by catzgalore
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Catz, very nice. Cat's Whiskers are fun to have. They root easily from any cuttings. Are the Lavender MG tree hardy where you're? I've to treat them as tropical perennials here.

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

I have never tried root the Cat's whiskers before, now I'm gonna have to try it. The MG tree dies back to the ground in winter but comes right back up in spring. It takes no time at all before it's 5' tall and blooming like crazy. I just love it. I wish I had a white one to go with the lavender one. I thought I was gonna loose it this past winter, but there it was as soon as it warmed up a bit.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

There's a coulpe different varieties available. The one pictured is L. nepetifolia, grown from seed. It just recently started flowering (whirls). This one could almost be ranked as an architechual plant as it has the potential to top 10 feet. It may self-seed here (has in year's past, usually surviving haphazardly a season or 2 thusly). Hummingbirds are definately attracted to it.I'll post plant size pics when I obtain a good one.
The other variety obtainable (that I know of) is Leonotis leonrus (plants). It is a more reduced, compact, and well behaved plant that can be a fall garden sensation. I seem to remember BF with it (last grown several years ago).

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Several years past when I had Cat's Whiskers. I tried to root them with the spent inflorescents; Yes, the bare spent flower stalks. They took root even with that. Make sure you keep the rooting medium moist, and the cuttings out of direct sun. I live by a large water body, thus humidity is very high--an ideal place to propagate cuttings of plants. You know to create humidity with spraying, misting water vapor is next best thing when come to giving the plants the humidity they need.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

J. we've cross posted. I'll be sure to check with my local nursery on those Lion's ears.

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

Milkweed

Thumbnail by catzgalore
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

MWs in my garden have past their prime, however, I just spotted a couple monarch butterflies in the garden. They've hung around nectaring all day. Hopefully they will roost nearby and leave behind some offsprings before they move on their long journey to Mexico.

Andover, MN(Zone 3b)

How come you southern gardeners get all the good stuff? The cats whiskers are the cat's pajamas. (Or does that date me?) It's really a neat plant.

The milkweed you have is so different than what grows wild here. Is that one you bought? I cut mine down tonite, it's sad to think we have to wait another year to see the dance of the butterflies again (and me wildly chasing for a great photo op). I felt better when I spotted two monarch caterpillers still munching, Left a few stems just for them.

vonnie

Thumbnail by maithyme
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

J - I am not familar with your variety - L. nepetifolia, but I do have the L. leonorus.

Lily - here is a photo of my Leonotis leonorus - we also call it Lion's tail. I cut it back hard at the end of the year, and it gets to about 6-7 feet tall. It blooms for a long time - from May to October.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

And another bonus is that the Lion's tail makes wonderful cutflowers. My uncle, who is a florist, did this arrangement for my nephew's wedding reception in July and used some of the Lion's tail. The color scheme was purple and orange, so the orange of the L. leonorus was perfect. And since it was July 3rd, they were doubly apropos as they ressembled fireworks. My uncle raided my garden and came up with this centerpiece - all home grown flowers and greenery.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.