Wildlife: Squirrel Pics Vol. 17

Lyndonville, NY

Oooooh, a baby! So sweet!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh what a cutie!! Love it!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

We had a opossum a couple of weeks back in the yard. It never popped into my head to get the camera! I just was trying to get the dog in the house and away from the opossum and then get the opossum out of the yard! lol

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

We have opossums sometimes come by at night and nibble on corn on the ground or any fallen bird seed. They've never caused us any trouble. They just quietly eat and then leave. If we go outside when they're out there they'll go hide in nearby shrubs till we're gone. Sometimes in the Winter if there's snow on the ground, we'll see them during the day.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Nanny, if ever he comes back, I would love to see it. We don't get them here.

Sunkissed that's a cute little one!

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Cute photo, burn!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks, Nuts

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Big news...our squirrels have finally learned how to grow their own food!!
I actually posted the story about this yesterday in the "Critters Big and Small" forum, but this is really where it should be. Rather than explaning it all over again, here's the link to that post. Below are two pics of the ear of corn. I think any of you that are constantly pulling out plants the squirrels have started from sunflower seeds, corn and the like, will get a kick out of this.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9237783

Also, here are a couple more Squirrel pics.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Lyndonville, NY

About time they did some hard labor for all their free food! We have two sunflowers we are hoping will produce, there are several big blooms on them...but I don't know if they will open.

Such a cute face!

Debbie

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks Debbie! Hmmm...I wonder if you can teach your squirrels to grow their own sunflowers...

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Nuts I saw your corn on the other thread and commented on my squirrels growing their own tomatoes. They should work for food. LOL. Nice shots.
Burn how cute, actually a very nice photo catch with the interesting log.

1&2. This first squirrel found a nice mushroom to eat under my shed.
3. This poor baby has some kind of growth or sore on its neck. Seems to be fine otherwise.
4. Again posing in that tree for me.
5. silhouette

I seem to have more squirrels than normal and they are acting crazy chasing each other, maybe it is getting close to mating season or something? I'm pretty sure that is the case by the look of the males, and yes you can really tell right now they are males...if you get my drift? I can hear them running on our rooftop in the mornings.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Very cute pics, sunkissed! I've never noticed my squirrels eating mushrooms, but they eat just about anything. As I mentioned in the "Critters" thread, I feel so bad for that little squirrel. I hope that growth is something that will heal.

Lyndonville, NY

I hope some kid didn't attempt to shoot that little thing with a beebee and its lodged. Looks about the size.
As you said, looks healthy otherwise.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

that's funny! I have left a peanut growing in a pot all year. I'll be anxious to see if anything comes of it. Otherwise, it has been a nice filler!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, Marna, please let us know if you get a crop out of it! Then maybe we'll have to start a new thread called Squirrel Farmers!

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Farmer squirrel...ha ha..no I didn't take this photo

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Lyndonville, NY

That is too cute!
I haven't seen a squirrel in weeks. Not even up and down the road and that is odd.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh my gosh, sunkissed, that is way too funny (& cute, too)!! Now we even have a Mascot!

Debbie, last Summer some of the other members that frequent this thread had the same problem with no Squirrels. I bet yours will start showing up again before you know it.

Lyndonville, NY

My feeder is still full of peanuts, 2 weeks now, and very odd. The blue jays got the few I had tossed on the ground.

Maybe when fall and the weather start to turn they will start hoarding them again.

You know, I should send DH under my front porch....I bet I have peanuts growing! LOL

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

LOL, that mascot should appear at the beginning of every squirrel thread we start, too funny. Good one sunkissed.
Show us your Squirrel's peanut plant handy work, Mrs Ed. I'd like to see, if it resemble the 3 identical plant I have growing in my flower box. I never thought. it might have been some of the Squirrel's hard work, growing there.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2012 10:23 PM

Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Peanuts growing under the porch? Don't they need sun??

If our squirrels would find better places to plant their food instead of in my garden beds or on the lawn I'd probably let more of it grow.
Anyways, apparently our squirrels are all a lot smarter than we've given them credit for. I wonder what else they could grow and eat. Hmmm...maybe a little raised bed would work...?

Adorable pics, burn! The 2nd shot looks like you scared the wits out of the poor little thing!

Lyndonville, NY

In the vicious circle of life...one of my babies didn't make it across the road Thursday. Of course he had to get hit right in front of our house.

And with that same circle of life...mama was in the front tree yesterday...in labor. The unmistakable sounds I have become used to and know as
a new nest of babies on the way. I can't wait!

Feeders are full, bird bath is full.....and I will watch!

Debbie

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, Debbie, I am so sorry! It breaks my heart even though I'm 1000 miles away...poor little thing. Hope the new life helps to ease your pain.

If you get a chance, post some pics when the babies are out of the nest!

Edinburg, TX

Love this squirrel thread! They are so cute!! Am so excited...I have a squirrel that has been frequenting my yard. I'd never seen a squirrel I my neighborhood but a few months back I saw one in my oak tree...then never saw it again :o(

Was working on the yard a couple of weeks ago and decided to nail my "wildlife habitat" sign (that I've had for years but never put out) on my back fence. Well of all the funny coincidences...a squirrel now shows up every day!!! A cottontail showed up on the same day too. I live in the middle of the city so am thrilled to have that bunny!!! Am thinking it's because of the small plastic pond I have in the yard...super hot out here and that's where I first saw them.

I bought rabbit food and all kinds of nuts and such for the squirrel :o) I think the squirrel is a female and she sits and goes through the food I put out on raised bird feeder platform. The bunny eats the pellets, corn and carrots I leave out under a tree. Hope they both continue to come for food and water!!!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Wow, the buffet sound irresistible, they'd be crazy not to come back for more. I'm pretty sure you will see them again, since you garden for wildlife. I agree, having water,is a must for attracting them. I enjoy watching the birds bathing and seeing other wildlife, to the small pond I have.

So sorry about your baby squirrel, Debbie. Hope the new litter compensate somewhat for your lost.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Uh Oh...you're in trouble now, TexasPuddyPrint!! Not only can your Squirrel and Bunny read (your "wildlife" sign), but they've already got you "trained". You're bringing them all the best foods and you even have a pond for them. Boy they've got you hooked...just like the rest of us!

Welcome to the "Funny Farm"...uh, make that "Squirrel Farm" (see above posts). ^_^

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Yep I got peanuts growing in my flower box , thanks to my squirrels.

Lyndonville, NY

Well I'll be....thats what I pulled out of my front flower garden!!! I thought they were weeds!

I haven't seen the mama squirrel yet....but the peanuts are missing! Good sign she is hungry!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Congrats, burn...Your little "crumb snatchers" are growing their own food!! Oh, what a cutie!

Yeah, Debbie...Now I have to think twice everytime I'm about to pull a baby corn stalk or sunflower plant. That's great Mama's grabbing the peanuts. Got to keep up her strength to feed the little ones.

Edinburg, TX

Thanks y'all! They got me trained!

The squirrel is skittish...when I open the patio door she bolts. Had set out a sprinkler on low under the tangerine tree to give it a good soaking when the squirrel showed up and scurried up the bird feeder. She didn't find anything of interest then went and dug up a pecan she'd buried...and the good part is...she went over to the tree and stretched out on her tummy to enjoy the damp earth all the while nibbling on the pecan. She made such a cute picture...wish she wouldn't zip away each time I open the door! Temps are in the triple digits here so am glad she had a spot to cool off.

Hummingbirds are showing up too...got a dozen zipping around the hummie feeders now. Soon there'll be gobs and gobs. Gotta love it!!!

Lyndonville, NY

My hummers have left already. Very disappointing but our blooming trees (rose of Sharon) are done. SO they are traveling elsewhere. The ones over at my daughters are MEAN! I think they are part kama kazi jet fighter or something....they dive right at you!

I was going to say "WHERE" is that picture?? DH laughs because my front 3 windows are clean, so I can get a clear shot of the squirrels at the tree without going out. But I have nose prints on them half the time from kitties looking out.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

TexasPuddyPrint, that's so cool about all the Hummers! You must be in an area a lot of them end up before heading across the Gulf of Mexico.

We have more Hummers right now than we've had all Summer, but no where near as many as you do. We do still have one or two males, but most are females and immatures. Our feeders are in constant use and we still have some blooms they like, but not for long. A couple of my Summer-Autumn hummer perennials never bloomed this year so I'll be planting some more late season blooms for next year.

You know, that Squirrel of yours is bound to find a mate and eventually you're going to have more mouths to feed...Oboy!!

Debbie, that's a funny image about the Kamikaze Hummers, but sooo true! Your kitties also want to see what's going on out there. It's a shame they don't know how to use your camera.

Edinburg, TX

Yep those hummies are territorial. I've put out four feeders in the hopes they will quit fighting. The only times I've seen them get along is when there are gobs of them...seems they are too busy trying to feed than fight.

Finally got pics of the squirrel and rabbit - but had to photograph the rabbit from inside the house - and no, my patio glass doors aren't clean!!! LOL!!! Had to manipulate the photo exposure :o)

Here's the squirrel eating from the bird feeder (yeah, I screwed on two old satellite dishes onto a landscape timber stand to make it - if anyone remembers me from years ago - that same landscape timber stand used to hold 51 hummingbird flower ball stakes). Another photo from one of the hanging bird feeder trays. Really going to town on the sunflower seeds! I think it is a young female (and I say that because I haven't seen any nuts! LOL!!!

I just had to sneak in the bunny photos - this is from this morning...it was grooming itself and it heard the zoom lens tap against the patio glass and turned towards the sound...yep, I got busted! It still stuck around and even ate part of a banana I'd tossed out. I'd also put out some rabbit food - the kind with seeds corn, nuts and pellets - and also a fresh carrot - but it went for the banana instead. Go figure!

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

TexasPuddyPrint - Your Squirrel and Bunny pics are adorable! I love those "satellite dish" feeders (very creative) and those big bunny feet are really cute. Don't worry, my windows aren't clean, either.

That really is true about the hummers. When there are a lot of them it's too hard to fight everybody off so eventually they quit chasing each other and start sharing the feeders. At this time of year they get even more territorial because they're trying to make sure they have plenty of food when they get ready for their long journey. It's a shame they don't realize the feeders get filled over-and-over again so they won't run out.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Love your use of the old satellite dish TexasPuddyPrint. That squirrel is really stuffing itself lol. Great bunny shot too.Were you the one, that had wrap a hummingbird feeder to keep the sugar water from freezing?

Edinburg, TX

Thanks all...

Burn...no...we rarely get a freeze here...if anything...I make ice cubes out of the nectar and keep a ziplock baggie of them in the freezer to add to the feeders when the temperature hits the high 90's and 100's here. Hummies need a cool drink ya know!!!

Ah...and yesterday around 7pm I saw two rabbits in the yard. Seems my first little furry friend told a companion about the good food I lay out!!! LOL!!! Haven't seen the squirrel - do hope it didn't get run over or killed by a neighbor's cat or dog.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

TPP - Yup, haven't you ever heard that term, "breed's like a rabbit"? You just wait...they're no dummies. They know a good thing when they see it! And if you now have a male and female, you may have to start buying bigger bags of food....

Don't worry about your little squirrel. It's probably just fine. Some of the other folks that frequent this thread have commented that they don't always see their squirrels during the Summer.

oh Burn, I'm so sorry, I have forgotten to post my peanut picture. Yes indeed you have one too.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Wow what are you feeding it Mrs Ed, mine is small compare to yours. Is the small yellow bloom from the peanut plant? Maybe mine got sown a bit late. Let us know if you find peanuts.

My sister got me the peanut ring. I filled it up and put it out. It took only a day to have it emptied. I don't know if I'll keep filling it up, it's awkward to fill and can get quite expensive.

I love those peanut rings. Mine is not as large or "loose" as that one. But I like watching the birds trying to get at it. The nutchatches peck away at it.

That peanut plant has been there a pretty long time, as I think it was an early spring planting. Yes, that's a peanut bloom. it will be fun to see if I get any peanuts. I know they need a long time to come to maturation.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.