Wildlife: Squirrel Pics Vol. 17

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

These pics aren't the greatest quality, but I thought they'd be fun to post.
I left an old clay flower pot outside over Winter that I was going to clean out before Spring. I'd been tossing sunflower seeds on top of the snow for the birds and when the snow melted some remaining seeds fell inside the pot.

This little guy was popping up and down like a "Jack-in-the-box" as he'd go down to get seeds then come back up to eat them.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

That's really cute! ☺

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks, sunkissed!

We have Squirrel babies all over the yard...sooo cute!! Probably from the Mom whose pic I posted a few posts back.

Here's a chubby little "MOM-TO-BE" who looks about to pop with her little ones any day. She's sitting on the roof of one of the peanut feeders my husband built last year. Even when the feeders are empty, they love to sit on top and watch the world go by.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Lyndonville, NY

Oh my gosh, she looks like she needs knitting needles and a rocking chair!

Found out the blue jays have a nest above my porch...and are the ones taking the peanuts.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Debbie, you're so right! She is huge.

Sorry...still no Squirrels at your place? Do you see them around your neighborhood at all?
I guess we all better keep posting pics. At least that way you can see some on DG until yours come around again..

Lyndonville, NY

There is a small family of them, about six houses north of me. I can see them up on the wires running from tree to tree, but they don't cross the street (thankfully)
and come here.

I used to have two of them that nested in the tree out front and next door. One would come "tap" at the window and let me know when the feeder was
empty.

I just went through my pictures...these were the last taken of visitors and it was June 2 of last year!

Thumbnail by DebbiesDaisy Thumbnail by DebbiesDaisy

Wow Momma is really looking ready to pop...bless her bitty heart.

Deb, sounds like your squirrels will be coming around soon, they must not have a nest in your tree. Crossing the street around here in number one reason they die. The Bluejays and the woodpeckers love the peanuts here too.

Peanut is something else, she will let me pet her head now, in fact she stretches it out for me to pet it. This is the cats watching her from inside their screened porch...they aren't allowed outside as our animal control will zap them up...thanks to neighbors that hate cats.
Peanut runs across the fence while I was photographing the flowers.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Those are cute pics, Debbie! I agree with sunkissed...maybe you'll have some show up soon.

sunkissed, I think she must have a whole basketball team in her tummy!
Cute pictures!
I think it's much better and safer to keep your kitties inside, anyway...safer for them and safer for the birds. BTW it sounds like Peanut has you very well trained. Too cute!

Edinburg, TX

Lucky you! Wish the few squirrels I see in my neighborhood would stick around - they are all very skittish. They take off running if I open the door or when I drive into my driveway after work. They do frequent my yard every day...I put out a few pecans and some corn kernels for them each day. I've seen them raiding the basket I have nailed to a huge oak in my front yard...but they just don't stick around long. Have seen them at other yards down the subdivision so they must have a visiting routine!!! LOL!!!

Oh well, at least the wild cottontails let me get about five feet close...and only so I can toss out carrots, apples and whatnots!! Yes, I cut up an apple and a carrot a day for them. I don't even eat an apple a day but the bunnies do!!!

Keep posting squirrel pics for those of us who don't get to have them up close and personal.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Squirrels will wander around to find food. It's possible others in your neighborhood are feeding them as well. They're incredibly smart. They'll go looking for all the free buffets.
It sounds like your bunnies are really spoiled...and healthy!

Here's a few pics I came across from last Summer. It was near dusk and they're not the clearest, but still fun.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

I remember my grandmother out working in her garden in PA with little cottontails all around her, she kept scraps in her apron pockets to toss out to them. I've only seen one bunny in my garden in all the 20 years we've lived here, and that was a couple weeks ago, I did put out some old carrots for it, they did disappear but I've not seen it since.

Nuts I like the one peeking through the trees...very cute.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

sunkissed ~ Very cute pic and lovely flowers as well!

Most Bunnies tend to show up around dawn & dusk. It's a little safer for them since Hawks don't see well during the partial light at those times of day. They do sometimes wander around during daylight...just not as often.

I think it was at dusk I saw the bunny, was a tiny little thing.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, I guess we have another Mama.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Lyndonville, NY

That picture is precious!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks Debbie! Any luck with your Squirrels, yet?

Lyndonville, NY

No, no squirrels. I can see them down the road several houses. I am wondering if the over abundance of bluejays has scared them off.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

I doubt if they're afraid of the Bluejays. We have lots of Bluejays, too, unless it's the competition for food. The Bluejays might be eating everything before the Squirrels ever see it.

I wonder if you put out something like Walnuts in the shell. I know Squirrels can open and eat them. I don't know if Bluejays can or not.

Some of the DG members have said they rarely see Squirrels in Summer, while other have said they don't see many in the Winter. Go figure?

This thread is getting very long. I'm thinking about starting Volume 18 if nobody minds. I took some pictures this morning so I might wait until I unload my camera.

Lyndonville, NY

I think that is a good idea, quite a few still have dial-up and can't access once we get over 100 or so.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

This thread has gotten very, very long. DebbiesDaisy agreed, so I've decided to start a new thread...Volume 18.

Please join us...we'll anxiously await your arrival!

Here's the link:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1319232/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.