Wildlife: Squirrel Pics Vol. 17

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Just caught up with this thread. GP, those are fantastic squirrel shots.

Melbourne, FL

Thank you both.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Gardenpom, love the shots, that is one happy squirrel, I love how they use their hind feet to hang upside down on bird feeders, they can be fun to watch. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Melbourne, FL

Thanks, sunkissed. There must be a shortage of photographic squirrels out there this summer.

On a camping trip at Ft. De Soto a couple years ago this squirrel and gull hung out at our campsite the whole four days were there. They stayed around each other constantly. The gull had a bad leg and limped, and we never saw it fly but a couple feet, so don't think it could fly either. I guess they were pals. Neither had any fear of us at all and in fact enjoyed us talking to them.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Very sweet! Thanks sunkissed!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Squirrel that watched us eat our lunch in DC last week! No cropping....they were right there waiting for a bite! lol

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

It appears as though it has a "bite"--sure is scratching something. LOL Nice shot.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Nice catch Nanny! Talk about up close. :)
Sunkissed mine are just as bad. Just planted a flower box, and they are hiding seeds and peanuts among my plants.

This is the culprit.

Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007

Why are yours cuter then the ones we have here? lol

I have paving stones and they like to bury in the sand between the stones. They dig so deep their whole head can't be seen. They cover it up nice and neatly though. :)

Burn that looks like young squirrel.

Nanny I'm sure they get fleas, just like any other outdoor animal, I see ours scratching all the time.

http://www.whyzz.com/how-do-squirrels-remember-where-theyve-buried-nuts

I always just figured they forgot where they buried their nuts and why they dug a hole for no reason.

Peeking over the fence

Sitting on my wheel barrow planter, and yes they love but bury their nuts in the wheel barrow.

I could swear I already posted this gal from last November in my Drake Elm. She was balancing on a twig eating the seeds. The last photo you can see she is using only the hind feet to hold on.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

I've seen them fall out of trees with no ill effects. A couple years ago one guy missed a branch and fell out of our huge Ash tree (it's about 70'-80' tall). He was at least 30 ft. up (maybe more) when he fell,...landed on his feet...shook it off and then went back to eating like it was nothing!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Nanny they think they can win themselves into our heart by looking so small and cute. Hey sometimes it works lol. But they will try to charge me, to try to scare me away from the feeder, if I'm too close, and I mean close,where I could pet him if I try.
They are real acrobats, sunkissed. great balancing shot.

Not a squirrel but close relative.

Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Ohhhh...all the pics are sooo cute!
Here's some more.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

Cute, cute, cute. Nuts, that second photo looks like the squirrel is pushing the log. :) Nice close ups!

adorable!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks sunkissed and nanny!
I have some more that I'll try to upload in the next couple of days. We still have quite a few squirrels hanging around, even with the incredible heat we've had.

Lyndonville, NY

While visiting Canada, I met this beauty....

The area was just full of black squirrels.

Debbie

Thumbnail by DebbiesDaisy
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Beautiful little guy, Debbie!
We've only had one Black Squirrel in our Northern Illinois yard, but several years ago while traveling through Michigan's Upper Peninsula (very close to Canada) we went through a town with zillions of them. They were running around everywhere. It was amazing to us, but probably totally normal to the residents there.

Lyndonville, NY

That is the way this area of Canada was! I couldn't believe it.

Apparently our little town is "segregated". We only have gray in our area....two miles to the east are the black squirrels. AND my daughter who lives about 5 miles west, has gray and reds. I just can't get over how beautiful the coats are on these black ones, and they seem much more friendly.

Thumbnail by DebbiesDaisy
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Adorable shot Debbie! That's so funny about the squirrels in your area, but I guess all you need is 2 to start a population.

Lyndonville, NY

I told my hubby we needed to bring a few back with us. He wasn't too thrilled with the idea. I just love the little critters.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Nutsaboutnature, loved your series of photos. lol at the comment about, it only take two to start a population. So true.
Debbie, very nice. Where in Canada did you visit? Was it in Ontario? My sister lives near Ottowa and she has those black squirrels, I was amazed by their black fur as well. I had not seen them, before I visited her, after she moved there.
Those red ones are not afraid at all, of people.This Summer I had 3 running around me on our deck. One has lost a leg, but it never stop him from jumping from limb to limb or getting to the feeders.

Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007
Lyndonville, NY

We went to Victoria Harbour, outside of Barrie, and yes in Ontario. It was very beautiful.

We had a litter of four babies out front, but they did some construction work nearby and I haven't seen them since. I thought the noise spooked them. My feeder has been full of nuts for over a week...nothing touched.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Burn, those squirrel pics are just sooo cute! I love every one of them.
Oh that poor little thing with one arm missing, but since squirrels have so much strength in their back legs, I guess they could adjust. I think it would be harder if a back leg were missing.

Debbie, it's possible Mom moved the babies somewhere she felt safer, but if they're nearby you may eventually see them when they come looking for more food.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Okay, I decided we needed some more activity on this thread so here are some more pics I've taken recently. I'd love to see some others, but I know many of you say your squirrels disappear in the Summer.

1) Striking its best "modest" pose

2) Peeking out from the branches

3) Checking to see if I brought some FOOD

4) Munching on a piece of corn.

5) This one actually seemed happy to see me (or the pitcher of food in my hand)

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

Debbie, I don't think I've ever seen a black squirrel. Isn't that interesting of the colors in your area. We do have fox squirrels in Florida that are larger than the gray and have a black face, but I've never been lucky to capture a photo of one. My brother said he saw a white squirrel once...now that I'd like to see.

Burn love your shots, too bad one lost a leg...guess that was one lucky squirrel to recover well from whatever ordeal took the leg.

Nuts, those last shots are so funny, the strike a pose is so good, and the last one does look as if laughing at you. ☺

I'll have to work on some photos, mine are active all year long.

Lyndonville, NY

Several years ago, we had white squirrels. I believe there were two of them. Then they were gone. Easy pray for the hawks and such around here.

The strangest was about 7 years ago....a complete litter born with no tails. I know I posted pics of them on DG....just cant remember where!! I will have to look through the pictures.

Lyndonville, NY

I amazed myself. LOL I found the thread, and BOTH are on it...the baby tailess and the blonde tailed!

Tailess babies are May 8th.....and I think the blonde is June 2nd....or the dates are reversed! I was in the sun too long! lol

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/720056/?hl=squirrels

That was a great thread Debbie...I love your comment about visiting a beauty parlor...made me chuckle out loud. ☺

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

This message was edited Jul 22, 2012 9:28 AM
Oops, I accidently lost this message! See the next post, instead.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2012 9:30 AM

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Good job finding that thread, Debbie! Very enjoyable.

You might enjoy the thread just before this one (the link is at the top of this page). All the pics are incredibly adorable, but also check out June 16th for two pics of a Black Squirrel that visited our yard last year for part of the Spring. I only got a couple of pics from pretty far away as he was really shy.

Also, if you go to June 17th, Mrs_Ed posted a link about an entire town full of White Squirrels...totally Amazing!!

Enjoy!

Lyndonville, NY

Thank you! I will enjoy visiting those. My son in law calls them "tree rats" but I really do enjoy watching them, seeing the variations in color and the playful antics.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Debbie, I somehow got two separate posts saying basically the same thing. I tried to fix one and lost it by mistake...isn't technology fun!

Thanks, Nuts, I went and checked out the photos...the white squirrels are very pretty.

Deb, My brother calls them tree rats also. ☺

Lyndonville, NY

Mine sure have disappeared around here, and I miss them! I have a huge bag of raw nuts and I might have to boil them for ME if they don't
show up soon.

These are ones I took visiting my brother in Florida end of April.

Thumbnail by DebbiesDaisy Thumbnail by DebbiesDaisy Thumbnail by DebbiesDaisy
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Debbie - very cute! That 2nd one is especially adorable.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Very nice Debbie, and thank for the link, to the thread of your stubby tail squirrels. My brother got a pic of an all white albino grey squirrel. It was very pretty. I will try to borrow it and scan it to share. It might take a while though, he's got it at the camp.
Nuts, I like the expression of the sneaky squirrel behind the branches. And the one striking it's best pose.

Peek- a- boo

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.