What's happening in YOUR neck of the woods-chat with friends

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thought I'd best move us to a new chat room before leaving for Chicago in a bit...

We came from here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1194760/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1194760/

Victoria Harbour, ON

ooops, forgot a photo..guess I cannot add one now???

Susan, so enjoyed your pictures, make one want to bring along their tent and join you next time you go...

Can you you thoroughly enjoyed it..

"M" sounds as though Lorna has got a lot done..do you think the home will be an easy sell? Know you thought she was asking a bit much for it..hope it sells quickly, no fun living where you don't want to be..

Rained most of yesterday, gardens loved it..
worked last night to finish the 2 floormats I was doing so that they could be set on back deck and I could clean the craft room this morning before leaving on my trip..

Managed to get one of the girls to take my calls from 2:30 on, that way I should be beyond Toronto at rush hour and over the border early enough to enjoy part of the evening...

Ann is coming with me, not sure how that will go??? Difficult for her travelling to a city that she and Mike so wanted to see the last year of his life...

We will spend Saturday with Judy (Seedtosser1) and Liz (Lizrainey) and whoever else from DG might drop in..then a day sightseeing in Chicago..such a beautiful city..hope I can remember some places I've been to show Ann

Have yourselves a great day..bringing i-pad so hoping to post from hotel rooms...

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

ok - I know you're all meeting at Betty's next year, but maybe......... come out west in 2013??????
I could show you some real beauty out here! I'm still discovering it. I didn't realize until this morning that we were actually 1/2 way down into Montana! hmmmmmm we could camp in Montana next year and go further into Oregan, etc? hmmmmmm who's closest to the centre of Montana?

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Wavin 'Bye-Bye to Betty' .. hope you have fun with Ann in the WINDY CITY ^_^

GAG me .. another scorcher here today and I had to be out and about in it .. 37C is just NOT nice weather .. and .. we are now in anticipation of a 'thunder boomer' .. ahh well .. it IS summer ..

Since I'm the only 'DGer' from Thunder Bay, I think a round up her would be nice, but a bit out of the way for most.

Susan .. have visited Montana a couple of times .. beautiful State .. and truly 'BIG SKY Country' !!

Out to play with the pups for a bit ..

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

well, seeing as how you're not adverse to visitng Montana - how about visiting Here, in Calgary? Come during Stampede weeks, and pick up a sweet cowboy (they have the nicest manners!), then afterwards you can go to Big Sky Country with him and go horseback riding!!!! LOL

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Found you all here. Just one more day of Chamberfest. Two concerts to usher at tomorrow and I'll have managed to help at 26 in the last 2 weeks plus attending about 6 others and doing 3 dress rehearsals as stage manager. LOTS of good music. Then a few days to catch up in the garden before we head out west for a few days.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Sounds like you're having a very busy time, Ann. Where's Chamberfest?
Heading out west, Ann - where? To Victoria?
Too bad you don't come to Calgary at all.........

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all,

Got to the USA border, Detroit, headed north (purposely) to flint michigan..this morning we are heading to Frankenmuth, largest Christmas year round town..plan is to leave Frankenmuth for Chicago by at least 1:00 and that way we can enjoy a bit os sightseeing..

Heat gauge bit high when we were stopped in traffic yesterday so have to check antifreeze level just in case!! Never have had trouble with my Aveo but there is always a first time..

Yes, next June I'm having of reunion of dg members from many threads I frequent and you are all invited..

ViolaAnn, no other words except 'you amaze me!'. You will be plum ticketed out.

Waving to all

Have fun in Frankenmuth AND Chicago Betty. Hoping the temps aren't too high and humid.

Tha RU at your place next year could very well 'blossom' into quite a few people. Sound like fun though ^_^

Ann enjoy your trip west .. I think you'll need the respite!

Counting the hours (and minutes) til my docs appt on Monday .. my shoulders are not good and I am growing weary of sleeping sitting up.

ANOTHER over the top day re heat here today .. high 30s .. does seem to be some relief coming next week. Of course, forest fires in this region are increasing on a daily basis. Had a 'DRY' thunder storm pass through last night with lots of sheet lightning doubtless that has caused some problems ..

Down to get the paper ... Enjoy your day

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

M - I heard that lightening is responsible for over 80% of fires. They strike, don't burn right away, and smoulder until they burst into flames....... Hope that "dry thunderstorm" hasn't left that kind of legacy......

Unfortunately Susan, it has :-(
Apparently several more have started north of here. The people just sent back to their homes on Mon and Tues, may be flown back out .. feel bad for them as the majority are natives who have never been off their Reserves, and they are plunked down here in highly modern hotels with pools and restaurants etc

Sweltering here again today .. did manage to get into town and do some 'weekend shopping'.

Should get supper on the go .. THANK YOU M&Ms ^_^

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Think I'll have to get offline?!?! There are some pretty strong boomers happening, and I can see the white of the winds and rain heading towards us. Apparently there will be strong winds and large hail here. I'm in the NE and it's coming from the NW of Calgary, heading SE, so we may miss the majority of it, but I think we're going to get a lot of it - trees breaking, etc.....

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Wow that sure came down hard- maybe 20 minutes and 10 minutes of that pea size hail in my area.
Sure was noisy. Sassy gets quite restless during a storm, Bailey is so deaf he does not hear it!
Thanks for the call Susan, I never think to turn off the computer

Front yard.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Back yard, hosta bed.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Gosh .. Calgary sure got a surprise with that hail !! Looks too 'winterlike' to me.
Carol .. looks like your Hosta may have sustained heavy damage ?
TBay was to have gotten a thunder boomer last evening, but, it never materialized.
Apparently perhaps one more day of this heat, and then back to 'normal' temps of 20-25C and NO humidity .. BRING IT ON!!

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have not had a really good look round yet but the hostas in that bed in the pic are fine- probably because they are mainly small and mini hostas. The patio is covered with leaves from the willow and the hanging pots of million bells are very droopy but I dont think they are shredded - will see when the sun comes out.The pots of geraniums on the patio dont look too good.. I can see some of the lilies that were blooming are also shredded. Will do a walk around to check later.

Later: Well the damage is not too bad, most of the large hostas have shredded leaves but all the small ones are OK. Lots of veggie tops smashed but that does not matter, it is the roots that are important. My hops had a lot of shredding since it covers a gazebo and the little fuschia plants hanging on the gazebo wall flowering beautifully all summer took quit a hit. Interesting the tomatoes sitting on the patio by the geraniums have no damage. Still piles of hail in the shade. The handing pots are already starting to perk up. There is quite a cold wind this morning.

I guess it was quite a storm, storm sewers were blocked, underpasses filled with water stranding cars, supposedly one man drowned when water swept him under a car. Probably lots of roofs damaged too- probably should get mine checked, it is 17 years old. - but it will be nearly impossible to get a roofer out now even to look for damage

This message was edited Aug 6, 2011 8:53 AM

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Our storm sewers were blocked too, Carol - full of leaves stripped from the trees. This fellow was "caught" quite awhile after most of the water receeded, but the sun sure came out in full force!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

This was immediately after the storm - boy those waters were COLD - I didn't have rain boots, but put on some waterproof shoes and hauled up a lot of leaves!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Chamberfest = Ottawa International Chamber Music Festival - over 90 concerts or events in 14 days. I worked at 26 of them, attended about 6 others and also did 3 dress rehearsals as stage manager. We head to Vancouver on Wednesday. Just don't get to Calgary much any more since all the relatives there passed on or moved to Vancouver.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

and I'll just bet you didn't get your fill of music either, Ann :-)

Melancholic Aug.6 for us. 7 years ago my brother passed away, and, at 4pm this aft I had a call informing me one of our good friends from back in high school days succumbed to his brain cancer 6 months after his wife died of a massive heart attack.
Kinda sets ya to thinking.

Also saw many pics of the 'ruination' in Calgary ... good grief !!!

Here's hoping for a better Sunday!

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

The worst of the storm was a 60 yo man who was driving his car during the storm, and it stalled in the flooding of the street. He got out to do "something" and collapsed. He died of a heart attack.
Marilyn - it's a well-known fact that spouses who have been together for many years (even if they dislike each other) pass away within a year of the others passing.

5 years ago today we moved to Calgary, and here we are, where we started - a home, but no jobs....... ah well, the Lord has something in mind for us.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Just got these prints today - they are of most of the historical interpreters at Lougheed House.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

OHMIGOSH Carol .. what lovely pics ^_^

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

o wow Carol - they're wonderful! What memories, for you to have. Do they give you these prints every year? If so, you must have a scrapbook of memories from Lougheed House :-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan I wish - we had to buy them if we wanted them and they were not cheap - done by a professional photographer. This is the first time they have arranged this.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Nice pictures, Carol. But given that you are volunteers you might think they would give you the pictures.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

They "hire" volunteers Ann, because they're always wanting donations to renovate Lougheed house, I'm sure.
Speaking of which, Carol, I mean to look at their website to see if I have any objects to donation that they may want.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning girls, fabulous time in Chicago, as always Steve and Judy were hosts with the most..yesterday we boarded a tour boat and spent several hours viewing the waterfront, travelled a lot and never saw a city so beautiful and clean

Dinner in Hancock building ..96th floor for lunch..talk about a view! Then walked the magnificent mile, could say twice seeing as we walked both sides..lol

See ann is now ready so time to leave..

Sorry about the storms everyone!!

Waving, enoy your day!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

And enjoy Your Day, Betty! So glad you got your car looked after and it will be a safe ride home!
96th floor!! Wow!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol
Love the photo's I bet if they were in black and white we would not be able to guess the date they were taken. You all look very authentic!
Alberta Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I'm upset/mad - just got a call from a secretary with the firm I used to work for (2 months ago!) and she called about a purchase req I sent in for lanyards! Apparently the new secretary in my old position moved files around and they can no longer find the purchase req I filed (in the Purchasing file folder). And "someone" wants to change the wording on it. I told her that isn't possible as there is a standard lanyard (I'm a poet!) and they're the same for all of Alberta.
I then emailed HR and told them I didn't need this. Then I called and left a message saying "If I'm going to get these calls, then I should be paid an hourly rate for them"!!!!!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Susan - you are absolutely right. Glad you told them!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I'm creating an invoice now, and am also creating the email it goes in, for HR.

Jeeze Susan, your too good to your ex employer ... but .. it's in your make up .. just hope they stop calling you to bail them out.

Went to the doc today .. refused surgery .. I have a left rotator cuff impingement .. pretty severe .. I am on morphine now, have an ultra sound booked on Friday, and a physio assessment on Thursday ... I refused an MRI .. no matter how much sedation you'd give me I KNOW I would be VERY upset as I am claustrophobic .. besides, an MRI is used for a more definitive diagnosis prior to surgery.
Kind of leary re the Morphine, but, if it allows me to sleep, then BONUS !!!!

Am totally hoping we get RAIN tonight, the forst fire situation here in North Western ON is unreal !!!!

Glad you had a good time Betty .. was Ann OK ?

TTFN

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - isn't the morphine making you drowsy? Guess no driving for you, m'lady!
I don't call sending them an invoice for 2 hours consulting "bailing them out" LOL

Here's praying for you to get Rain tonight, but be careful what you wish for, Marilyn!

Went to HD to return something, stopped in at my veggie garden on the way home, and retrieved a RED tomato! Viewed 1/2 damamged/destroyed garden, but all's good - there's still something retrievable.
When I got home, my DH looked "down" and asked for my help. His Win 7 computer was unusable - some system icons disappeared (printer, etc) and he couldn't successfully click on anything.
I rebooted it into Safe Mode, scanned (came up with Nothing) then did a system restore back to Aug 1st. System is back to normal now.....

Victoria Harbour, ON

Evening all, want to comment on the posts but am very tired..long day, home safely and now it's time for betty byes..

Will have lots of time to chat tomorrow..

For those of you not feeling ok, hav g a bad day am hoping tomorrow will be a better day

Good lord willing we'll gab tomorrow

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Welcome Back, Betty!! Glad you're home, safe & sound!! Sleep well :-)

Dosage is very small re the morphine, and, I only take it at bedtime .. didn't really work all that well last night, and I know it's going to take a few doses to catch up to me .

Susan glad to hear you saved the day with the 'System Restore' .. that has saved me a couple of times. I sometimes think 'What if LIFE were like that' ^_^

Off for blood work for Lorna this morning, have to get gas for the SUV and gas for the yard implements .. and.. fit SOME shopping in there somewhere ...

NO rain fell .. so the forest fire dilemma continues .. can see and smell smoke this morning.

TTFN

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yay for Safe Mode/System Restore, for sure! I'm not as familiar with Win7, so it was interesting trying to figure out where it was lol Yes, I could use a "If Life Were Only Like That"........... lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.