TEA ROOM # 92

Merino, Australia

No pics today of my birds. As soon as I thought about going outside, down came the rain and it hasnt stopped. Hubby says hes going to lock me in the shed if I get too frustrated at not getting outside soon.
Maybe I'll just cruise the plant sites. Hmmmm. shouldnt do that as I dont have finances at the moment to buy ..
Oh well, I can look. I just wont buy.... do you believe that ...LOL
Jean.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Hello everyone! Just a quick check to see how you are all doing. I found the census discussion very interesting. It seems that the questions asked here were far more intrusive than in years past. We had to fill out the form in Fla. where we are residents, and then another one popped up here with all kinds of arm-twisting about how we legally had to fill it out here also. I followed the language literally and refused to fill it out, as it seemed fraudulent to do so in two locations. They kept hounding us to do it, and finally we got a call. Suffice it to say that I convinced them to stop bothering us as I refused to give two states the benefit of counting us in for their funding. No more calls, but I did get an apology. :)

We are in the revolving door of guests leaving/wash the sheets and towels/ and set up for the next round on Tuesday. Our Colorado grandkids and their parents will be here for two weeks. Lots of fun kid time.
Hope you are all having as much fun!

Here is our stone mushroom, waiting for some critters to land on it. Hank made it from a stone in the woods. :)
Louise

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Merino, Australia

Love the mushroom Louise. Hank is a clever man.
Enjoy your visitors, I'm sure the girls will. All that patting from everyone will go to their heads. lol
Jean.

Hi Loise the census here just requires you to say where you are sleeping on that night, so if you are a guest somewhere that is just counting you really.Last time around I moved the night before to take my sister in law to a villa (set up for her medical needs, she could not walk). I had fun filling that out as I still lived here but needed to be somewhere else for a few months.
I guess it's the only way to count everyone and get a rough idea of how many people live where.
Even the homeless get one, I have always wondered what they put on their forms. (so sad).

I still think fairies live in mushrooms ^_^ love your little setting there, and Charleen ...lovely garden bling in your garden, now where has Elaine gone ?.

I think we will get another Frost or two yet ...we bounced from 26C down to 3C after the hail ushered in the cold change.
The sun is out now but there is not much warmth in it. Not too much damage from the hail just enough to trash some blooms and buds .
Better go do something I lose half a day when we have the nurse in and there is always lots to do after the weekend, enjoy your day everyone.

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Vicious guard dog. Lets the dogs out and it is warm already, didn't cool down too much and it is to be in mid 90's. So another hot day. Would like to swap a little cool from you for somw of our warmth here. have a great day everyone...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. Looks like our weather has settled into a pattern of cold wet mornings followed by sunny afternoons.
I did a bit of pruning yesterday . The cotinus is no longer a very tall lot of waving bare branches. Hopefully this year now, it will put out lots more growth from the cut bits.
I planted out a few cuttings from the Iochromas which also got a drastic haircut.
I will be interested to see if they grow as I just stuck them in the ground.

Hello Charleen. That 'big savage guard dog' looks like he would rip the throat out of any trespassers. LOL..
I can send you any amount of cold in exchange for some warm. If I could load it on the carpet, I would.

Chrissy, you are certainly getting more than your share of hail there.
The plants will come back later when the summer arrives.
Try and have a bit of relaxing garden time for yourself there too. Your family needs you fit and well.

Hello Dianne, Pam, Karen, Teresa, Elaine, Anthony and Colleen.
Louise, I hope your visitors are having a good time. I bet the girls are .
Have they put on their best 'southern belle' manners ?

I had better see what is available for nibbles before I start thinking of what I will do today.
Something different , Chocolate Mint Brownies.
Have a great day. Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Brrr it's very cold right now ...yep I don't know why the hail is picking on our area,but it was nowhere near as bad as the big one in Summer, hope it will leave us alone for a while now.
Our weather has settled into a similar pattern, it will rain every day for about a week they say, oh well that will keep the frost away, it is warmer than yesterday 4C right now (just past 8 in the morning here).

I will be starting some veggie seeds in doors in the next few days, last year the Spring was a shocker, no Sun and grey skiesand much cooler for much longer than usual, hopefully things will get back to more normal temps this year.

Charleen can I borrow your tractor?
Ours was destroyed in the Christmas Day fires of 2001 and we haven't been able to replace it. I sure do miss it !
I had an acre of mixed pumpkins and zucchinis the last time we used it. The fires got them too.

Jean I am not chopping anything that is out in the Frost area as we could still get one yet and the leaves protect the rest of the plants. about a fortnight into Sept is the safe time to chop those here in this area.
This year I note our temps have often been cooler than yours, very strange.
Well I had better get on with the day ...I hope everyone enjoys their morning/day/night whichever ^_^

barmera, Australia

Good morning everyone. I have been busy with the boys. They had a student free day yesterday and we have to get ready for their Cub camp next weekend. I'm getting a new chook house soon and am going to get the back fence fixed as well. I'm thinking seriously about getting the pine trees lopped too but the Bronze winged pidgeons and Willy-wagtails and Murray magpies all nest in there and the Sulphur crested cockatoos land in there and eat the pine cones. I haven't made up my mind on that one yet. My census lady told me to just put the form under the front mat too. It doesn't really bother me if anyone looks at it as all that info is out there anyway. I just feel that I have nothing to hide and if someone does go around looking at people's particulars then they're a bit sick aren't they? I wonder if Elaine has found a house yet. Well must go and get the boys ready for school. I hope everyone is feeling well. It looks as though it is going to be a lovely day. Be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
Clifton Springs, Australia

Glad that you are having a sunny day, Colleen...I don't think that we will see much sun today though.
My feet are freezing, it will be a sock day for sure...

Hope that the weather cools soon for our US friends and they get some good rains.
All that trouble in London....what is the answer to that?
What punishment do you give little kids?
You can't make them help clean up the mess, then Health and Safety would be on the case..
So they all go unpunished, I suppose.

I'm going out into the cold garden, just the thought of the destruction is making me hot under the collar.
Back later.......I will peek at my seed trays and see if there is any growth..that takes my mind off these problems.
Dianne.

We have an old Farm all, needs new tires but you can use it. Gas line need repair. He sold the Ford
I believe that is why Children don't know Right from wrong. Government pokin their noses in and then if they do a mass murder it's all your fault for not making them mind.
Latest clay creation....

Sunshine Coast, Australia

Hello everyone!

Beautiful day here at Buderim today.

Louise ...love your mushroom. Hank did a great job.

My Michelia 'Coco' is starting to bloom. I love this plant. The flowers have a fruity banana fragrance...especially in the evening.

...oooppppsss forgot picture

Thumbnail by Marleneann
se qld, Australia

Yay, census is done, and out of the way

Pam ....the census questions were not as bad as I thought they might be. Easy peasy.

I cannot understand why the government will not have the results until next June. Do they know about computers????

Census done whew !

Not too bad. Lol since when did Governments do anything quickly ...
Love Coco ...
I find it difficult to be happy today as we gaze across the pond ...
What can anyone say,
So goodnight everyone ...let's hope tomorrow will be better and the World will be more sane.

Wish you could smell this Plumeria, Luscious scent to it along with the pretty blooms....

western sydney nsw, Australia

A very good morning to all , after a wasted month I am staying here just wanted to move before it was time for the big gum tree next door started to drop all its leaves and rubbish on my roof and yards.
A bigger yard and bigger shed would have been nice but my little house is just right for me so here to stay yesterday the people on the other side of me told me they are thinking they might be selling up in Dec . so I might be able to get thate one for my gradson and fence half of the yard for my use .

Charleen love your latest clay creation looks just like my dog Rocky .
Every one have a great day -----elaine.

Tea Room open for business, kettle is on and cups are out...just waiting for Jean to bring the milk.

Morning everyone, census is over for another few years.....don't forget to send it if you saved it online.

Great to hear that people are getting together in London, connected by Twitter, to clean up the streets.
Nice to see the communities reacting in a positive way.

Charleen, that is very creative, you will have people wanting you to do their dogs...gorgeous Frangipani.
Sorry, I can't get used to Plumeria.... Frangipani sounds more romantic..lol

Louise, I would like that mushroom too, Hank is very clever...
Elaine, that sounds ideal for you..good luck.

Marlene, love all the Michelias, I have 2 just about to flower....
Here is a pic of those wonderful residents of London, showing that they are united in their determination to clean up the damage.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Here's another Frangipani pic then... Is it normal for the blooms to fall from the plant after blooming??? i found 2 blooms on the ground. They still smell great too.

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone.
We are all set for more rain for a few days. The ground is so saturated now, it is squeezing up and running out over every little bump in the ground. My old drain that runs out int he paddock from the laundry and kitchen has not run for a long time due to the very dry ground sucking up any moisture it could get. Now , its running out again. The plants out there will get a shock, seeing the extra water again after a few years.
I did go outside yesterday just to look around. Too wet to do anything else.
My cymbid flowers are nearly open.
The brugs are climbing to the sky and bulbs are everywhere. I found a pot of scilla that I had totally forgotten. Hope it flowers.
Lots of buds coming on the epis too.

Hello Dianne. Thanks for opening the doors . I dont bother getting up until 7am at the moment. I have always been an early riser, but what do I do at that time when its only just getting light ?
I'll be earlier as the sun rises earlier.

Hello Charleen. I do like your little dog sculpture. Very like the subject.

Hello Elaine. It does sound sensible to stay where you are happy and settled with your garden.. Pity about the large tree though.
I think councils should assist with large tree removals when they are dangerous. It is usually way too expensive for people to have a tree lopper in .

Hello Chrissy, Marlene and Pam.
Yes census done . I have no idea why people are so uptight about the questions. Nothing in there that isnt already known by many agencies.

Hello Louise. I hope the weather is behaving for all your visitors. Pats for the girls.

Hello Anthony, Karen and Colleen. Colleen, lots of shoots on the little cacti. They should enjoy a bit of sun when we eventually see it.

I make no comment on the problems across the sea except to say , I am sometimes ashamed to be human. It all seems to be totally orchestrated by those with agendas .

Have a happy day everyone and stay safe.
I will leave this German Chocolate Cake for you all to enjoy with a cuppa.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
barmera, Australia

Good morning everyone. By the look of the sky down your way Jean you're in for a pretty rough day. It's as black as the ace of spades out that way. Overcast here too but not too cold. I got a fair bit of the SH done yesterday. 3 more brugs have come out and some more today. I think that I will plant my hippys out too. That will free up more space for all the baby brugs coming along. You're not going to believe this, I didn't. I have 3 Daturas about 4" high with a bud on each. I think that they are purple and white. I wonder if they will come out. Elaine I'm glad that you don't have to pack up and move. It's a very big job moving, so it would make more sense to have your G/son move instead. Hope you're keeping well. I have some more broms to pot up this morning. It's never ending isn't it? Us gardeners are busy people aren't we? Must go and get the boys ready. be back later. Colleen

Yes, Charleen......they do drop.....but even when they do they are still so lovely..

Jean, I am glad that your Cymbids are behaving for you now...post a pic when they flower...

Got a letter from Broersens, they have sold out of the Aconitums...boo hoo.
Oh well there is always next year....

Colleen, you clever girl...you might become Queen of the Daturas....fingers crossed that they don't drop.

Here's Tilly with her favourite toy...it goes everywhere with her, even for a pee...it's a Kong.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

So cute. She is precious. that is her Security blanket. sorta....

Aren't they pitiful?????

western sydney nsw, Australia

Try again just lost my post -- Its a nice day here to day to play out side this screen I picked up at Reject shop for 15 dollars I have a hung a few more pots of Hoya cuttings on it.
The grandson is 23 about time he learned to live on his own but near enought to do my lawn and the odd lifting job for me .
Now I have had my rest better go find more to do out side.----elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut
Merino, Australia

Charleen, they are just looking for cookies, the dear things. Dont you just want to hug them ?

Elaine, I remember having a frame like that here somewhere. I must go look. It is probably hidden in some overgrown plant.

Dianne, I love Tillys security "blanket" ( toy).

The sun came out so I went down the back and removed the largest piece of shadecloth from the brugs. They can now grow as tall as they like.
Jean.

Those big babies are very spoilt, Charleen....you can see by their faces.

Elaine, nice screen....looks great.
Jean, I keep forgetting to ask you....what berries do you have?

Anthony, have you heard anything from Grapus yet?
Dianne.

Charleen you just scatter the blooms around the place to scent a room. Your little cuties are adorable.

Jean I see those frogs drew you in over BGI just too cute aren't they ? lovely that you are having rain.

Elaine I love your screen but what drew my attention was the face on the front ...where did you get it?
Good news you aren't moving because it is second to a divorce on the stress meter of taking ten years off your life they reckon.
Great if your Grandson can move close.

Have a great time with your visitors Loise ...

Yes Colleen gardeners are always busy ...Spring seems to suddenly rush in after the cold (very cold this morning here),
The sun is up, the nurse has gone (so is half the day ). Time to feed the troops and if I am lucky some me time outside if the Sun stays around.

Dianne much appreciated the cuppa ...^_^ ...wonderful shot of the English taking back some of the streets, our minds and feelings lurch from one disaster or tragedy to another it's almost mind numbing except for the almost constant anxiety . Only 4 more months to go until 1012 ...please let be better than 2011.
There is far more good than bad in the World, sometimes it is hard to remember that.

Enjoy the rest of the day everyone out there in garden land.

Merino, Australia

Dianne, I think my berries are loganberries or similar. I had all the bits given to me so havent a clue, but they taste yummy. They start red then ripen to really dark red/black about the size of blackberries
I now have the thornless blackberry and there is a different berry plant growing over further that hasnt flowered or fruited yet . It has a bigger leaf.
Just finished removing the last of the shadecloth from the brugs so they are all free now.
I suppose they will now take the opportunity to grow so high, I wont be able to reach the flowers.
Found a couple more liliums poking heads up.
Back outside while the sun is out.
Happy gardening.
Jean.

You've got sun, Jean.....it hasn't stopped raining here.....and it's cold.
I had a Blueberry bush at the last house... this year there were so many types of berry plants to choose from, at the nursery..some I hadn't heard of...I didn't buy one but I was tempted.
It would have had to battle with the Wisteria..

Good berry eating weather, preferably in a pie with whipped cream...
I think that I will turn the heating up...

Merino, Australia

Dont like fresh blueberries. They need to be in muffins. yumm
I must get some raspberries though. Very nice straight off the vines.
The birds seemed to leave the berries alone last season. Maybe because scarecrow Michael is standing there.
Poo Michael. I must get him a new hat and jumper for summer.
I may make him a girlfriend and put a seat out there for them.
Getting colder now but the sun did stay out most of the afternoon.
Lots of alstromerias out. These red/orange ones seem to flower most of the year. The white are coming out but the purple , yellow and pink are later
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. Very quiet in here this morning. I bet you are all out enjoying the sun. lol..
I have sun here. I dont know for how long , but its here. What a pity I wont be out working in the garden though.
Never mind , it will be a good day anyway as hubby is taking me to Hamilton for lunch. He needs a few bits & pieces for his shed so we are taking the whole day. I will definitely look for a plant to bring home.
I hope the sun shines for you all today.
Take care and enjoy the day.
Have some yummy Fruit Cake for morning tea.
See you all later when I get back with a plant.
Happy day. Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Brisbane, Australia

Lots to catch up here. Hello Jean, and everyone. Have had a bit of family drama to tend to so have been focused elsewhere lately. So good to see the pics and read the latest from everyone. I found census almost too easy online and took very little time. I hope they do use it for people, and not against them.

My epis are starting to bud up too. I can't wait to see what flowers this year, as most of mine have never flowered. Stern von Erlau is in bud again, and I am very impressed with the performance of this plant. Pink Snowflake has had buds before, but they all dropped off and not a single flower. I sure hope I get to see some this year.

Hope everyone has a lovely day.
Karen

Christchurch, New Zealand

another sunny day here, prediction is for it to be nasty at the weekend... grr
I had some great news yesterday - I got the job I interviewed for in town.
It will be completely different to working the bar.
I am going to be working in retail, 9-5, mon-fri.
The shop will sell Merino & merino blend fabrics along with merino garments & a range of jeans along with Drizabone apparel.
I am excited about the new challenge & a bit nervous...
it was hard handing in my resignation at the RSA but I have said that if they are short staffed I will be happy to help if I can.
And as a member there I will be popping in for drinks with my parents after work - my bus goes right by the RSA - I used to stop in on my way home when I had a job in town years ago.
It will be interesting catching the bus to the new job, before the earthquakes the bus that runs down my street used to go right through town & past the street where I will be working.
Now the buses stop on the outskirts of town & there is a free shuttle past the red zone to the other side where you then catch the connecting bus.
I don't know how long that will go on, once town is safe again I am sure they will try to go back to the old routes.
My dog will be the only one not happy - he enjoys me being on night shift week as he keeps me company & we walk at a more civilised time of day - when the frosts have gone from the footpath.
Mind you summer is nearly here & walking at 7am will be a pleasure then.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Congratulations Teresa. I bet Copper won't be the only one needing to adjust....GRIN Best wishes to you on the new job.

Karen I hope all is well.

Teresa congratulations :) that is great news ! (so good to have some happy news ). Turn the page huh?

Have fun Jean ...looking forward to the epie parade to come. I would love to know how you go with the thornless raspberries, I read somewhere they still have thorns, I would love to grow some but we already have triffid blackberries 5 acres down on the fence line coming in from next door, I love them but so do the snakes (as a nice hide away ) I get nervous trying to pick them because you need to watch out for the thorns and you may miss a snake while concentrating.
I tried Loganberries once and they were delicious, lost them in the fires but did not replace them due to the thorn issues (grandchildren running around too and red bellied blacks liked them too ) So I am very interested to see how you go with them.
Do they need another plant to produce fruit ?
it's very cool here the sun is out but there is no real warmth yet, fingers are starting to itch to get into planting though sitting on my hands because of a still possible frost.

Moon how is your weather ?

How far away is the Autumn coolness for you Charleen and Loise ?

I hope everyone is out there enjoying the day ...have a good one.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2011 12:04 PM

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Hi Chrissy. the weather here is miserable.... Our actual temperatures have been ranging from 33 to 35 C, but with the humidity, the heat index (what it feels like to the human body) has been ranging from 41 to 48C....hot enough to shirr eggs....grin. Doesn't look like it is going to cool down any time soon. gardening consists of going out at daybreak to try to contain the weeds and water whatever still looks a bit wilted. The dogs are delighted with the weather....it means they get to spend the days inside all day. Somehow the cats do not see the humor in that...grin It will be the middle of October before we start having truly cool weather.

Summer break is over and the kids are all back in school. Fortunately all the schools here have air conditioning. They won't have another break until the last week of November for American Thanksgiving holiday. This is my grandson's final year of high school. he was not excited about being back in school, but terribly excited about it being his senior year. Now we start prepping for university.

Hope you all have a lovely day.

Merino, Australia

I'm back, and without a plant. Well, just a teensy one. A poor half dead liriope ? I think.
I bought a bag of mix for my bonsais as its time for their two year repot and trim.
The sun has been out all morning and it is warm enough out there now that I have been doing a bit of work without my jumper.
I am in the middle of moving the orchids so am having a break for a cuppa.

Moon, lovely to see you again. I like warm but not as warm as you are getting there.

Teresa, congrats on the new job. You will notice a difference for a while until you get into your rhythm.
Copper will adjust. I'm sure hes just glad to see you any time of day.

Chrissy, I'm no expert on berries but as I have several plants of the same sort I have no idea if they self pollinate or not.
Have to get their fence up before they start to grow again. I will have lots of plants to pull out once they grow as the very long branches were rooting where ever they touched the soil.

Back to work. I may get hubby to help me move the old microwaves I use as stands for the orchid shelves. hubby uses bits from the microwaves in his hobby, so I thought I may as well make use of the cabinets
Just a good height for the plants.
catch up later.
Jean.

Teresa, big congrats on your new job..hope that you are happy there.

Jean/moon, how many dogs and cats do you have?

Hey Karen, hope everything is back to normal in your household...and you are back in the garden.

Jean, that husband of yours is certainly handy for you..all those useful cabinets.

As well as a Sanguinea, I bought a Trachelospermum asiaticum tricolor...what a mouthful...
It's a pretty "little" I hope, climber....a Jasmine with varigated leaves and the new growth is pink.
Compact and slow growing....they say.
Dianne.

So much for slow growing and compact.......this article says 4mt x 4mt.....why do I weaken, when I see a pretty leaf or flower?.....I know what Trachelospermums are like.....oh well.

Thumbnail by Seachanger
rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

well,i was presented with a K&D warehouse catalogue today,which advertised 'orientals x 2' for 6.95....so i thought''you dont know if you dont look''!-cutting it short,-i walked away with 4 'asiatic hybrids'-'lanzarote',-which i had been trying to buy for a couple of years [good breedstock],oh,and a bag of seed raiser mix,.Congrats ,Teresa,a change is as good as a holiday[merino x possum socks]NZ made,apparently are very good!,..,The rain has stopped here,.,.yahoo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.