TEA ROOM # 92

Clifton Springs, Australia

Ice on the ground this morning, first for the year...I shouldn't have mentioned Spring.
But, the sky is blue and the day looks promising.
So have a good day everyone.
Dianne

western sydney nsw, Australia

Good Morning to all I know why there has been so much rain it seems every time I weed the front garden the rain comes to help any roots I missed to grow nice and strong.

No new projects but I did finish my last guitar the end of the studio is so jamed packed now.

Still cold but the sun is out so at last I might be able to work out side at last.------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut
barmera, Australia

Good morning everyone. Frost here too but not as cold as Saturday only -1C today. lol I noticed that one of my epis has buds, so they're off again. There should be a lovely display in the SH this year, they have grown so much. The snow pics are lovely Teresa, but as everyone else says I don't think I want it here. Dianne, that Magnolia is a beautiful colour, must look a picture when it's all out. Yes, all back to "normal" in the Morris household. I think the boys are going to have to get leg guards for motorbike riding. You should see the bruises. They're not complaining one bit though. They had the time of their lives and are already pestering Uncle John about when they're going again. They have their Cub camp on the 17th August so that should be good for them. They're not going to the river this year, they're going to the old racecourse which will be great. The riding for disabled horses will be there so that will make Cameren very happy. He loves any animals. As long as they've got planned activities they will be fine. keep those little minds and hands busy. Good to see you in here again Elaine. What have you been up to? Marlene, I think I killed the Bat Plant, or do they die back in Winter? My son, Micheal used to live and work in a nursery in Bundaberg for a while and he said that they used to die there too. Not warm enough he reckons, but I don't think that would be right as it's pretty warm there isn't it? Well i had better start moving or I won't get anything done. Be back later. Colleen

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. frosty again here this morning. Yesterday was sunny most of the day but with a cold wind, so not enjoyable to be outside.
I moved a few of the daffodils from under the shrubs where they had been hiding. Lots of things coming up now.
I am still amazed at how plants can bloom at odd times. . I found a bud coming on one of the irises and 3 of the agapanthus have flowers out. . One of the echiums flowered a few months ago when all the others are just putting up buds now.

Colleen, I have tiny buds forming on lots of the epis, but the very early one from las year is again nearly out now. The others will be normally around the beginning of October.

Elaine, you will need a second house to keep all your lovely things in. They do look nice on that wall.

Hello Chrissy, Dianne, Pam and Karen., hope all is well with your aches & pains.

Teresa, I hope you are keeping warm there. Snow looks pretty but its awfully cold and damp when you live with it.

Hello Anthony. I see a tiny lilium tip in one of my pots . Have you looked at the new ones on eBay ? I am trying to resist .

Hello Charleen, How is our furry fellow going ? I bet Charley is enjoying his biscuits I leave out for him.

Hello Louise. Are you resting in your lovely garden after all the visitors ? Those chairs do look inviting, I may have to com eover to get warm again.

Hubby says I will soon be complaining about how hot it is. Never... I would rather be hot than cold any day... I must remind myself of that if we ever get anything really hot.
Better go and see what is out in the kitchen for morning and afternoon tea.
Try some of this very yummy Applesauce Coffee Cake.
Enjoy your gardens and keep safe .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
barmera, Australia

Good morning Jean. I came in eariler but I was still there from yesterday so I thought that I would wait for you. The 14 buds are still hanging on Bucks Fizz, lots of smaller green leaves on the brugs so hopefully they'll all be fine. I noticed that Butter bomb has more buds too. All the cacti and succulents are looking good and I'm hoping they have a good flowering season. I have 9 vulsa seedlings up, now to keep them going. Have more broms coming next week. I don't know how many I have but I surely have a collection. They've put out great colour this year, not a lot of flowers but plenty of time for them all to be Mummas. Well must get going. be back later. Colleen

western sydney nsw, Australia

Jean I know have been looking at houses this last few weeks there are so many on the market at this time just have not found the one thate feels right. have a great day.------elaine.

Elaine are you moving? I can't imagine you leaving your garden, every time I moved I would miss my garden more than my home.
What sort of place are you looking for ? ...hope you find it.

Jean I had a house full of people yesterday ...more coming today, my brother had such a good day.
I haven't had time to play in the garden, cooking, cleaning, washing ...I have so much washing towels and sheets (invalid washing) every day. thank goodness for my lovely new washing machine and the dryer.
The day is very nice so far but it was quite cold to start, they reckon it will get up to 20C so we can't complain about that.
I hope everyone has a great morning ^_^

I will pop back in after the visitors have been.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Awwwwwwwww, thanks so much for the delicious birthday cake and all the fairy dust and lovely wishes, Jean, Chrissy, Colleen and Karen!! That was so nice to see!!! FINALLY, I had the Wild Blue internet wizard here most of the day today and now I can FINALLY, FINALLY, after three months of internet connections dropping constantly on me, actually hold onto the connection long enough to read a thread and post!! Happy birthday to your brother too, Chrissy! Hope it's festive and upbeat for him!

We got through the terrible heat spell better than most people here because we are up on a hill surrounded by miles of trees. It was quite hot but we just stayed inside with fans and room a/c's on, and drank tons of water. I did not get much gardening done, but I did go out early in the morning and did what I could.

Jean, I'd just love to have you sit and chat with me in those chairs in the shade with a nice cold iced tea instead of a cuppa in the heat. Today was just a gorgeous day here. Come on over!!!

I have two little rascals running around the house at top speed at the moment. Guess they missed their morning walk today. I hope they never outgrow their antics!

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Christchurch, New Zealand

I've been sweeping snow off the deck & some of the driveway...
gosh that snow is heavy when you try & shift it!
Got to get ready for work but thought I'd share the latest snow pix & some video of the dog out in it.http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/dalfyre/Snow%20pics%20July%202011/

Love your snow pics, Teresa....I can enjoy the snow without standing in it. cute Dragon too...

Colleen, where did you grow your Bat plant?....I took mine out of the bathroom and put it on the verandah. I put it under a shady tree for the first time today to give it some sunlight....
I would love a white one, but see how this one goes first.
I am so pleased for you that the Sang x's are up and growing....good luck with them.

Louise, so nice to have you back on line.....thank goodness you have been able to cope with the heat.....though those girls are definitely telling you something.....

Chrissy, it was great that George enjoyed his birthday with all his family and is still enjoying it today..
thank god for modern automatic washers....when you have extra washing they are a blessing.

Elaine, keep taking your time to choose a house....you will know when the right one comes along..

Off to the nursery this afternoon, for a browse, a hot drink and a piece of cake....
Dianne.
Like your flowers, Jean...this Pelargonium is confused....it's flowering well though..

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Merino, Australia

Louise, the girls look so cute there. Asking for something by the look of those faces.
Glad you are not doing too badly with the heat. If it stays cold here I may have to come over and maybe camp in the lovely garden shed..
Cold wind here but at least no snow like Teresa has.
Jean.

barmera, Australia

Lovely Pelargonium Dianne. I had the bat plant in the SH near the pond but I think it may still have been too cold for it. Ah well I tried. Great to see you back Louise. I have my computer back too, but have been too lazy to change the boys. Will get around to it. Have downloaded all my pics from the boys on to an external harddrive so that I can download them onto mine when I get around to it. Have washed again today, not so much as the other day though. Yes Chrissy imagine doing all that washing by hand? About 15 years ago I had no washing machine and had to soak all the clothes in the bath and wash and ring them out by hand. Boy were my hands sore. I often wish we could go back to good old days but I said I want a fridge and a washing machine and I think I would add an A/C for cooling to that now. Can't stand the heat. Elaine what are you going to do without your garden? You'll have to take it with you. That'll be some work, moving all the statues etc. Look after yourself. Colleen

Brisbane, Australia

Hello everyone. Wow, lots of reading today. Elaine, I so love your guitars. Well done. Chrissy, I loved the Egyptian music and tour through the pyramid. The art, the music, their total absorption with death........really an amazing era. Glad George enjoyed his birthday. My grand daughter turned 16 yesterday and we all went out to Sizzlers. Had a lovely time, and feed.

Found more pigeon feathers on the ground today, and my pot plants have been knocked over. Either a cat, or the crested hawk has been hunting again. I've lost count of the number of pigeons they have killed just in my yard alone. Well over 20 now.

Hope you all are having a lovely day. Getting overcast here, a bit. May I dare say, we might have a shower? Sure need it.

Karen

Sunshine Coast, Australia

First Epiphyllum flowers for the new season .
Epi Benjamin Leigh. Three flowers out today... nine to come.

Thumbnail by Marleneann
Brisbane, Australia

Wow, Marlene, an early start. Lets hope we have a good show this year. Last year was a bit disappointing.

Karen

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. Cold here this morning and some cloud around . Hubby told me the forecast was for fine and a bit warmer over the weekend. One can hope.
Still hard to get anything dons around the garden because of the dampness .
Lots of new bulbs popping up now. Bluebells, mini daffs and a few other mixed ones.

Hello Marlene, lovely epis. way too early for mine. I have the one that is very early which should open soon but the others will wait until October.
Hello Karen. Hope your epis do better for you this year. I am waiting to see what mine look like as last year they were so lovely but crowded.
I have sold off a few so there is some space between them now. Not much space as the darn things never stop growing even in winter.

Hello Colleen, you reminded me of those days without a washing machine too.
I do remember and so do my hands. At one stage when living in outback WA, I had all 5 kids school clothes plus my then partners shearing clothes. A daily chore, all by hand . Thankfully, the weather was warm most of the time so drying was no problem.

Hello Dianne. Lovely pelargonium. Min have been spot flowering too. Totally confused.

Hello Louise, I'm glad that your computer problems are fixed now. The darn things have minds of their own I think. Ours is due to go in for a checkup. We usually take it in every year as it gets dusty inside . We are lucky in having the place we bought it do the checkup for a small fee.
give those darling girls a pat.

Charleen, hope you and all the furry ones are going well.

Hello Anthony. Did you look at the lovelies on eBay. I was good and resisted buying. more ( so far)

Hello Elaine, Pam, Teresa and Chrissy.

I am going to get out today and not be lazy. I will brave the cold and see what I can get done without getting wet.
Maybe trim the path plants as they do tend to hang around . Hubby said they were trying to stop him going through the archway gate yesterday into the paddock garden.

I'll put something nice out for you all .
Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Butter Cream
Happy day, Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Morning all....nice again today hopefully...
Off to get some spoilt lucerne for the garden, it's only a couple of dollars a bale.
I save it until Spring then use it as mulch..
I think Mick would eat it anyway if he was allowed.....

I hope my Epis flower this year, can't wait to see the colours.
Lucky you Marlene.

It's pleasant just sitting in the sun with a cuppa on these days, you really appreciate the warmth.
Back later.

Thumbnail by Seachanger
se qld, Australia

Hmmm, where did my post go from yesterday? Darn i must have wandered off without submitting it. lol

Colleen, I was saying, bat plants can die down in Winter, so don't be too concerned just yet. The biggest risk to them in cool weather is from overwatering though, so be very careful until you see signs of new growth. My original black one still has buds so is doing well. It seems to vary its flowering time each year so is a little difficult to predict. A couple of years ago it started flowering in August and went through to March of last year. It then started flowering again in March of this year.... weird little thing.

Dianne, I've found the black one doesn't tolerate as much sun (filtered) as the white one. so just keep a bit of an eye on it. Some people say the white one is actually hardier than the black, and on thinking about it I think they might be right.

Off to take the dog to the vet, be back later. Have a great day all

Pam

Hi everyone I finally got outside to see what I could see and found a couple of surprises ...I hope Mr frosty isn't going to spring any nasty surprises on us because some of the angels are starting to wake up ^_^ whoo hoo! I sure have missed them.

Won't be long before we are complaining of the heat again.

Loving all the pretty pics ...must go fix lunch back in a while ...enjoy the arvo everyone, I hear the rain is falling in the USA where they need it, hope you ladies over there are getting what you need.

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

Sorry,ive done a few posts recently,and they dont go!![sql error],.,.site shuts down! Jean,be careful with DVD-DJ as a seller of bulbs-poor feedback and i'll support a bad reference[basal rot/blue mould],.,.Take a look at 'Broerson Plants...end of season sale',.[big discounts] and youll have them in a week!,.humid here,with rain!! I won a perpetual award at 'lenah valley garden club' for 'novice floral art 2011' .champ sash and gift voucher-very nice,. lots of lily sprouts poking here, also orchid spikes,.lots of erlicheers and king alfreds opened yesterday,.'spring has sprung'

barmera, Australia

Anthony, I went and had a look at Broersen Plants. Woweee. How long before these bulbs would flower do you know? Good afternoon everyone. Colleen

Merino, Australia

Thanks for that Anthony. I will keep an eye on my bulbs as they grow. I have looked at Broerson before so will have another look.
Congrats on the award.
Yes , I think spring has arrived despite the cold.
My earlicheer are out now. I am still watching the cymbid spikes . Very slow to open in the cold.
Jean.

Congratulations Anthony ...good on you!

Yes I feel a little bit of Spring even though it's 3C overnight the day is very pleasant with sun and no wind for once.
My hippies are just finishing up now, been blooming for weeks.
I see lots of little buds fattening up and the Bottle brush are starting to break out.
Once we get past about mid August it's almost always the end of the frosts but last Spring was just cool and Grey, hopefully the sun might stick around this Spring.
It's going to start getting very busy soon. ^_^
Getting the manure in in the next couple of weeks ...

Missed your chat Anthony, glad you haven't frozen......congrats on your win....are you wearing your sash?
Erlicheers are out here too and the other white and yellow ones have been out for a while..Daffs won't be long either...
I will have a look at Broersons too,haven't bought anything from them for years.

Thanks for the tip Pam, I don't want to lose it..I love Bat Plants...so I will leave him under the veranda.
he gets a lot of light but no direct sun....there are new shoots coming up.
If I can get this one thru Winter I will get a white one....
Hope nothing serious for your dog.

Chrissy, the little smiley that you have been putting on your posts, I can't see....and there are a couple of places at the top of the DG page that are the same, anyone else have this problem?
Dianne

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 5:13 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Dianne how do you know there is a smiley there if you can't see it ?
Sorry I haven't done anything different ...is it this new puter ? I see it.

Merino, Australia

I see the smiley Chrissy.
Dianne, I have no probs on DG at the moment.
Jean.

Colleen, you would be better off asking jean or dianne when lily bloom time is,.,.here is different,.,.we have blooms from Nov-Feb,..,and,..,then it all goes quiet again and that horrible thing called winter,rears its ugly head!!! Plenty of manure here Chrissy,our Govt is very active at the moment,.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 2:59 PM

When I right click on it, Chrissy and ask it to "save image" it says that it is a smiley.
I have had this prob for about a week...it seems that a lot of odd things are happening with the changes.

Thanks Jean......the 6 boxes up the top ....Home...My Tools....About Us...only 3 can be read...oh well these probs don't usually last long...

Very clever Anthony...there is a lot shovelled in Canberra too, right now.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 8:13 PM

barmera, Australia

Dianne you must have jinxed me. My headings have gone and Chrissy's smilely has disappeared too. When you first asked where it was I could see mine, so something has happened since. Anthony I meant how big do you think these bulbs are and how long before they flower, sorry. You know, will they flower this season or next or the next. At that price I would think that they are only small. What do you think? Colleen

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. My planned jobs for today have all gone out the window. Hubby said the forecast was for fine but I think the fine is s till over with Colleen, maybe. Very windy here most of yesterday afternoon and rain during the night.
I said to hubby yesterday that the wind would at least, dry things out. Ha, someone upstairs must have heard me and dropped a bucket of rain . I 'll be sitting inside today in the warm.

Anthony, my bulbs are usually around the same time as yours . Dianne may be earlier being on the coast . Our small corner of the state seems to have different weather to to the surrounding parts. Just looking at the dates on last years pics, the asiatics were blooming in Dec/Jan. All the rest are mostly the same.
I have a couple of buds I am watching now, but the bulbs had long shoots already when I bought them . Probably go back to the same time as all the rest next year.

Hello Colleen. What have you done to upset your computer ? lol..
I see all the headings and the smiley. You know computers have a mind of their own when it comes to doing what you want them too.

Hello Chrissy, Pam, Karen, Teresa and Elaine. i hope all those aches are receding now with a bit of sunshine .

Louise, are you still getting lots of hot weather ? I havent seen a weather report form the USA lately.
How is your garden doing now ? I hope the heat didnt do too much damage.

Hello Charleen, hugs for Charley and friends.

Enjoy the weekend everyone and I hope the sun shines for you all.
Try some of this Apricot Upside Down Cake. Yummy when eaten warm with some custard.
Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Hi Jean. Ick -no laptop again, but I seem to have use of my iPhone still. My gardens are doing fine, thanks, and the weather has been up and down. Raining now, and that's good! I don't think I'll ever get used to the weather being opposite there. Spring is on the way for you and fall will soon be hwre foe us. My, My!! :)

Have a lovely day everyone!!
Louise

Colleen[all clear],.they are flowering size bulbs now,.,.expect 3-6 flowers on each,.[ive planted about 15 varied bulbs],.actually when they arrive,you may spot a little spurt of growth in the bag..,.Dianne,i think upkeep on this site may be suffering,.,.- not like that with ''THE MIGHTY BLUES'' though,.,.,.My arthritis [fingers] is giving me hell today,but i must 'plug on',.Anthony

barmera, Australia

Thanks for that Anthony. Do you pay $8.50 postage for every type of bulb or will they do a deal? Colleen

Louise what a pain, it never seems to end for you.....how frustrating.....

I won't say anything Anthony, 'cause I want you to beat Collingwood....that would be really painful for them if you knocked them off on Grand final day....
Essendon have to wait for next year now...too many injuries..
Geelong can do it if all goes well..
But Carlton would really rub salt into the wound....lol

Went to the plant sale in the Geelong Botanic gardens this morning...drizzly rain but not too cold...
Jean, you would have been in your element...Salvias everywhere, Geelong holds the national collection..I bought one..I am so strong...sure....S. karwinskii "Winter Red".....it looks a bit different to the other one I have..bigger flower maybe..

Also bought another Iochroma cyaneum and Colleen, this will interest you, a double white tree Dahlia.
They were cutting them up into little pieces and charging a dollar for them, so I got one for you too..
If you haven't already got one, I will send the blue, which I got from a friend yesterday and the white on Monday...
They are tiny pieces but they have nodes...so they should be ok.

Mine will be going in my bird garden.....there is so much in there now 2 more things won't matter.
It's survival of the fittest in there now, funny thing everything grows like crazy all I have to do is prune,
they are all left to their own devices...the birds love all the different things I'm sure...
I hope that there are skinks in there...I put large rocks for them to sit on, but it is so overgrown, I can't see them anymore.
Geelong will be playing soon so I'm off.

Thumbnail by Seachanger
barmera, Australia

That's great Dianne. No I haven't been able to find anyone with the white or the mauve over here. I think they must have gone out of fashion. Thank you so much. Can you answer the question about the postage from Broersen's. The a few lilliums that I would like to have from them but I don't want to pay $8.50 for each lot. Colleen

Colleen, I put in different amounts of plants and the shipping and handling was always the same..
$8.50...
Put in your varieties and check your shopping basket...you can see before you pay what charge is put on for delivery...
There are some lovely plants there.
Dianne.

Colleen, i got 395 bulbs for 8.50 +4.oo quarentine, i could hardly carry the box!!.,.they are''REALLY'' good to deal with,.,.and if they make a mistake-and you let them know,.,.you are 100%+ reimbursed,.,.no heated discussions/ no stress,.,.,..Dianne,,Should the tetrus pieces fall into place,come finals time-who knows?,.,.what i do know though,according to the news tonight,4xxxx will go up 34 cents--i better go and weep!-goodnight,Anthony

barmera, Australia

Have done the deed. $8.50 postage. That's great value isn't it? I think I will put them into pots and put them around the paved area. Colleen

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. The sun is up and shining in the window but it is still cold out there. I may get out and do something productive later. I have lots of cuttings coming on that will need potting on and seeds that could be planted now.

Hello Colleen, sounds like you are getting that lilium bug. Watch out, its very catching.

Hello Dianne. , are you also getting even more liliums too.
We have definitely been infected with Anthonys liliumitis. The Botanic Gardens sound lovely. I would have been nipping a salvia cutting or two if I was there.

Anthony, you are going to be lost among your liliums and we'll need to send a search party to find you.

Hello Pam, Elaine and Karen.
Teresa, I hope you are keeping warm there. Are you still getting snow ?

Hello Louise, its annoying when computers get a bit uppy and dont want to work for you. I hope all is well now with yours.

Hello to Charleen and anyone else popping in for a cuppa.
I am off to make myself another and warm my fingers.

Here is something nice to have with your cuppa. Chocolate Banana Cake.
Happy day.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Christchurch, New Zealand

well it is a lovely sunny morning here, most of the snow has melted, just a few patches on the Port hills & a few piles that are in deep shade.
We may not see snow like that again for years...
but who knows, if the weather patterns line up it could happen any time over the next couple of months.
At least with snow you get a warning it is on the way & can prepare.
Earthquakes are so hard for many people to live with as there is no knowing when they will hit.
think most of those who can't cope have left ChCh, those of us remaining are either more optimistic or more fatalistic & just get on with things between shakes.

My garden appears to be pretty good, the swan plants are looking a bit frost bitten but still surviving, my sister-in-law says she lost hers as soon as there was frost...
I will have to give her some plants if mine make it to spring - so far so good :)

I need to have a closer look at the winter iris, one is looking very brown & sad but I am not sure about the rest.
I only need one plant to make it though - they multiply quite well so I would be able to divide & replace in spring.

I wonder how the lily bulbs enjoyed the blanket of snow?
I know the daffodils won't have minded, they have been there & done that without missing a beat in the past.

the cyclamen look to have recovered just fine & my white hellebore has flowers coming up.
Only one of the others has a flower - it is one that was too small to flower previously so it is nice to see it.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.