HELP WITH HYDRANGEA PLEASE - BUDS DIED BEFORE OPENING!

Lancaster, PA

Hi! Moved into this house last fall and was very excited to see what all would happen outside this spring & summer. Love hydrangeas and was excited to see a nice mature bush on the east side of the house. Fertilized it once in the spring. Big clusters of buds showed up a few weeks ago, a little late compared to most in our neighborhood. A few buds opened on each cluster but the rest died still closed. I know it's to late fot this year, but any help to prevent this from happening next year would be greatly appreciated.

Thumbnail by TYGuy
Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

How big is the entire plant?
Does it only receive rainfall or do you water it specifically?
The blossoms might be the first thing to go if the plant is trying to conserve water.
Check the soil around the plant and see if it's damp enough. Are all the flowers affected, or just some?

If that's not the case, you might have some type of flower blight. Which could be botrytis cinerea. You would have to remove the infected parts of the plant and treat with a proper fungicide accordingly.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know how much plant experience you have, but since I don't see any obvious problems with the plant in your picture I have to ask how familiar you are with the different types of hydrangeas. Your hydrangea is a lacecap cultivar, so the "buds" in the center will never open to form bigger flowers like you'll see on the outside edge of the flower cluster. If you're only familiar with mophead cultivars that have a big full cluster of flowers it might look like there's something wrong with yours, but it's just a different type of hydrangea.
Example of a lacecap hydrangea: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/306875/
Vs a mophead: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/32824/

Lancaster, PA

Thanks so much! Now know I have a lacecap hydrangea. Although I'm disappointed that it is not a mophead, at least I know there's nothing wrong with it :)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I really like the lacecaps--they're pretty but in a different way than the mopheads. But now that gives you an excuse to go out and buy a couple new ones that are mopheads so you can enjoy them too!

Lancaster, PA

I plan to do just that!

SURREY, Canada

Hi there:
I have a panicle hydrangea plant for about 4, 5 years. I have the same problem with TYGuy. Big clusters of buds, just a few opens the rest wilts and turns brown. Please let me know what I should do. Just wish that I could see a big cone of flowers opens.

Thumbnail by CAVENDISH09
SURREY, Canada

Hi there:
I have a panicle hydrangea plant for about 4, 5 years. I have the same problem with TYGuy. Big clusters of buds, just a few opens the rest wilts and turns brown. Please let me know what I should do. Just wish that I could see a big cone of flowers opens.
Does it need any specific fertilizer? is it over or under watered?
I appreciate your help !
thank you kindly

Thumbnail by CAVENDISH09
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Quote from CAVENDISH09 :
Hi there:
Does it need any specific fertilizer? is it over or under watered?
I appreciate your help !
thank you kindly

You should start a new thread since the original post was in 2011 and while they may look similar, they are different. I see nothing wrong with your hydrangea. It is the variety that you have that blooms this way. (kind of like a lace cap paniculata). If you want a fuller bloom, then try 'Limelight' and all its various forms.

I am guessing the hedge of hydrangeas outside our nearest hospital are 'Limelight' while the second photo below our laundry room (side yard) is 'Quickfire var. "Fab"'. The last one is my 'Phantom' that needs a severe pruning - about 12' tall with an equal spread. My mother's 'Limelight' that she has to keep cut back hard every year.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.