Blight?

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

A friend of mine says that she has pseudomonas syringe on her cucumbers. Is that a blight? She asked if it would go away or if she should do something. I'm thinking that if they aren't too big, she should rip them out and start over or else spray some copper fungicide on them.
Advice please?

San Francisco, CA

I would question how your neighbor knows.
Pseudomonas are bacteria, and so the copper wouldn’t help.
Blight is an imprecise term. It may be caused by bacteria, fungi, or other organisms.
I would destroy any crop that is blighted; all of them, even seemingly healthy ones.
If the current plants are infected then the same type of plant should not be planted in that area for several years. A basic tenet of crop rotation is to break the chain of infection.
It would be helpful if the neighbor were to come to this forum with pictures of the affected plants.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I agree with Vestia on all points. Photos could be helpful. Was the soil fertilized and/or limed? Beans are sensitive to fertilizer and burn easily. Ask me how I know. The first few sets of leaves can display a variety of symptoms that resemble a host of plant diseases. If the problem extends beyond that your local extension service office should be able to diagnose.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.