Photo by Melody

Garden Pests and Diseases: HELP WITH HYDRANGEA PLEASE - BUDS DIED BEFORE OPENING!, 3 by hcmcdole

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright hcmcdole

In reply to: HELP WITH HYDRANGEA PLEASE - BUDS DIED BEFORE OPENING!

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of HELP WITH HYDRANGEA PLEASE - BUDS DIED BEFORE OPENING!
hcmcdole wrote:
[quote=\"CAVENDISH09\"]Hi there:
I have a panicle hydrangea plant for about 4, 5 years. I have the same problem with TYGuy. Big clusters of buds, just a few opens the rest wilts and turns brown. Please let me know what I should do. Just wish that I could see a big cone of flowers opens.
Does it need any specific fertilizer? is it over or under watered?
I appreciate your help !
thank you kindly
[/quote]

You should start a new thread since the original post was in 2011 and while they may look similar, they are different. I see nothing wrong with your hydrangea. It is the variety that you have that blooms this way. (kind of like a lace cap paniculata). If you want a fuller bloom, then try \'Limelight\' and all its various forms.

I am guessing the hedge of hydrangeas outside our nearest hospital are \'Limelight\' while the second photo below our laundry room (side yard) is \'Quickfire var. \"Fab\"\'. The last one is my \'Phantom\' that needs a severe pruning - about 12\' tall with an equal spread. My mother\'s \'Limelight\' that she has to keep cut back hard every year.