July 2011 Dry and Hot!

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

There is also some little disks called DUNK that I put in my birdbaths and water tank to keep mosquito's down. They are suppose to last for 30 days.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, the death toll is 160 now May tornado in Joplin, MO
Also all the debris is now 80 % almost clean but not yet still ordeal until Aug 31 as I am not sure what I miss the new said...

Heat still keep change to Aug. 3...

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I saw that KC got rain. You're lucky.

We have dragonflies also. They like to be around water, so I don't know what the heck they are doing here! We have been getting them the last few years, and I surely welcome them. They like skeeters, and I think they are quite pretty and add interest to a garden. I have read that if one has dragonflies, it shows your garden is healthy e.g. a good eco-system. Love your pretty dragonfly, Will.

I pulled weeds yesterday. I would pull awhile and then go inside to cool off and then back out again. I don't have as many weeds, but the ones I have are quite large. Things really change in a yard in one week. You don't realize it until you're gone a week! I have a bunch of Christmas Cactus I started from a few leaves a few years ago. I was amazed at how big they had grown in one week.

I have Sum and Substance hosta. It's a gorgeous one. It's in the ground underneath our deck steps by the patio. I don't do anything to it, and it just gives a lot of pleasure.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Rusty, to have such a horrible tornado, then rain on rain that you all had, then blazing hot days with no shade since everything got blown away is more than I can even believe. I don't know how they are cleaning up all that stuff in this heat. I did see where they were giving building permits out.

Looks like I forgot to send the web page to the biofilter http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

birder that is one of my favorite hostas I have, sum & sub just pops in the garden I think. I have managed to get quite a few hostas. I love the little tiny ones also. I bought several Christmas Catus last year of all different colors. I also started some and I gave some to my Mom and she started some.

Well got to get back out I am transplanting a giant elephant ear and repotting some starts. Gotta get it moved back to the shade. I have been fighting spider mites on it so I cut all the leaves off, dumped the soil, washed the giant pot, went and took a bath to get any spider mites off me so I don't spread them and I am ready to return it to its home in the shade. Geehz.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Oh.. thats great news about waterlilies growing under you're waterfall, happ. Waterlilies is the number one reason I made a waterpond and not a raingarden. My friend here wanted a raingarden only to solve the runoff/mud problem. I had to grovel and beg to have a waterpond, now it just has to also function as a way to empty out like it is, and solve the runoff/mud effectively while supporting plants and stuff. If you look at the back of it, it is shaped like a funnel, it has been working like I planned so far, only time will tell I guess! I hope it works well into the future or my name is mud! Here it is today. - I know theres a water garden forum but I like sharing here with people I know! Those blue plastic Maxwell House coffee cans have so many uses, I find a use for all of them! My camera is in one of those and the other one is a waterer. They are waterproof with the lid on of course! : ) One time, about a month ago, I left the one with my camera in it outside.
It stormed like crazy that nite, but my camera didn't get a drop of water on it! It was the storm that tore up trees and stuff, a biggie! I don't drink coffee, but the disabled lady here drinks it like it's going out of style.

Thanks birder! Thats what I'll do, put a Sum And Substance Hosta under the deck steps! I was trying to come up with something to plant there. I tell you, I sometimes drag my feet on what to do, there is so much to do! I just need to do stuff! I'm trying not to walk around with my hands empty as much. Of course, it never works out that way, but I can at least say I tried! : )

Thanks birder, I hope that Dragonfly wants to come back. At least she/he knows about it now!

Hehe! The Mini-Me Skip Jr.! I may be doing that, I might even have the components for it, or a facsimile of! Thanks for posting the link, happ. I'll bookmark skippysstuff, it's neat.

Glad to hear you guys in Joplin are coming back and everything, Rusty. Sorry to hear about the injuries and loss of life. 160 dead, that is a bunch, so many people there would know the deceased, the living victims.

I heard about Dunks, Crit, I might be buying those if it gets bad. Having mosquitoes to have dragonflies is a pretty good argument tho, I might need to keep the mosquitoes!

Hmmm... a saucer sled eh? I might get one to drag stuff, thanks billyp. I still have a good back! I'm not too proud to ask for help or just not carry something if it's too heavy. I'm not living my life with a hernia, altho, hernias can be fixed.

Yeah, the Cannas are a wonderful gift. They are getting more leaves all the time, they are going to make a fine addition. And, they are somewhat hardy, not January hardy, but I can wait till early Nov. or so to bring it in. They are like the Strawberry Begonia and the Purple Wandering Jew on surprise hardiness.
I figgered something out I think, I'm going to have a desert/rock garden (complete with cow skull and cacti), a tropical area (w/ Banana 'Basjoo' as the anchor), a shady area, (with Hostas and Ferns etc.) And of course, this glorious watergarden, and a regular garden with Tomatoes and Sweet Corn and stuff, maybe next year.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Will your pond is small enough you could get away with a large plastic flower pot used as a pond filter and put plants in the top of it. I would in the section behind the pond where you have run off plant moisture loving plants to try to soak up part of the dirt. I would love to have a soggy spot in my yard. It is coming right along!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Will, I admire your motivation. Could you send some of that down here? :)
I am doing good just pulling weeds and keeping plants watered. No projects here. I get real ambitious around February and March and get a few things accomplished in the Sp. But, in July--nope, nothing, nada!
We have several "house" projects to do this fall. I doubt the garden/s will get much attention.

Oh, I have LOTS of big flower pots! I might try that, thanks happ. I like that idea too, plants in the filter pot!
Well, I found a use for all those rocks I collected from roadside bluffs last ear! They go around the pond and there is still alot left, altho I think thats all the big rocks, but I had enuff big ones.
Thanks birder, oh you're just being humble, I bet you have plenty of ambition! I'm not really overly ambitious, it comes and goes in spurts of about a year apart! lol

Here my pond is this evening after I did the rocks. I only fell on my backside once and only dropped one smaller rock on my foot, which felt nice! It only pinched my toe because it fell more on the side of my shoe, luckily for me, next time I'll wear my steel-toed boots!

Oh, it gets plenty soggy back there where rainwater flows out of the former hole! The Persimmon tree will get plenty of water! I'm thinking about doing something up in that area, maybe laying down the excess liner, then coating (and adhering) it with Missouri River Rocks that I have extra.

I saw the splash of something that jumped in the pond, I'm thinking it's a frog. I'll watch for it now, I hope whatever it is, eats some little mosquitoes, there are plenty of them I think!
Thats a Lilac in the front, I was just photographing it, I'm putting it back pretty soon. I just wanted to show my friend here the pic, when we bought it for $6.99 over a year ago, it was tiny, it's growing good now.

See that fountain-like birdbath-looking thing back there? I was thinking about keeping it there on that excess liner part and having one of my 2 little $9.99 HarborFreight 190 gph pumps go up that and the idea is to have it empty back into the pond. With the other little cheap pump, I was thinking about doing a waterfall of sorts, I don't think it'll be much more than a trickle. It's not a big horsepower big money pump for $9.99 on sale! : )
I guess you get what you pay for, but I'm pretty cheap, maybe they'll last awhile! As somebody with a part-time job, I want to keep costs down! If the light bill goes up much, I'm also in trouble!
Will

This message was edited Jul 30, 2011 9:19 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Oops, I meant to insert this photo, it's more recent. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ, I'm glad you have a nice pond to enjoy. I'd love to see pictures!

I couldn't believe it. I happened to look in the birdbaths yessterday and saw mosquito larvae. I just scrubbed those out the other day and put in fresh water! We dumped all of them and I will rescrub and refill them today. DH found larvae in two watering cans, but I was sure I used fresh pumped water so it wouldn't be hot. Someone must have topped them off with tainted water. At least they didn't hatch!

Rusty, it would be awful to start cleaning up house debris and find a dead person. So very sad that the death toll has to rise.

I hope this heat wave breaks pretty soon. We're going to start August already! In a few weeks, kids will be going back to school!

Birder, awesome about the dragonflies! I guess my gardens are in good shape. Just what I hoped to achieve!

The nice thing about big weeds is the big empty space they leave when pulled, LOL! They're my favorite! Tree seedlings are my least favorite and I see a couple that have sneaked in. I'm using pliers to pull them out. Or else I'll have t dig down and cut them below ground.

Smiling over the Christmas Cactus :o)

All my Hostas, but one were given to me. None are fancy, but I do enjoy them. I have learned, in a small bed, things planted on the backside detract from their overall shape. This Fall, I need to fix that.

Happ, smiling, the only Hosta I bought was a mini called "Just So." I'd get more. They are really cute. I'm also starting to really like those with a lot of white in their leaves.

Spider mites like it hot and dry don't they?

Will, I'm glad the pond is working as planned. Now, will the runoff be muddy and put extra dirt into the water? Do you need a layer of rock in the runoff path to help filter out the dirt?

What a great way to keep your camera dry. I would have panicked if I even left mine out, LOL!

We drink coffee twice a day, so it wasn't hard to get enough plastic cans over the winter to put around the plants. It sure has worked out with watering! If I hoe, and I am not a good hoer, I don't cut into anything.

A strong back is good, and taking care of it even better.

Awesome!! Skulls are neat! I love the idea of all the different beds!

Laughing, love the picture. It shows a bit of everything and I was going to ask how the wagonload of flowers was doing.

Happ, neat sloution to the runoff!

Birder, I'm not too ambitious either. It's too hot to move plants and that's what I need to be doing.

Will, great use for the large rocks! They will hold the liner down and finish out the top!

ROTFL, as long as you weren't hurt falling and dropping!

Oh wow, it's really starting to look nice with the rocks. I love how the curves fi t together. I do like the fountain pump there too. It will be nice to sit and look at it.

ALL the plants look good!

Has your friend been out to watch your progress?

We took the Grandkids home yesterday, so I have the whole week to get out and do something! in the yard! It's killing me to not move anything :o)

Looking good Will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Billy .... you can also add just a little bit of bleach to the water. It won't hurt the birds, but will keep the larvae down.

I found spider mites on my EE's and Taro's. So I got out my Windex with amonia and sprayed everything good. Cut off the leaves that looked yucky and sprayed down in to the canal where new leaves would be sprouting. Everything is looking better now. Those little buggers are a pain, but the windex (actually it is the cheapest window cleaner I could find with amonia in it!) really wipes them out good.

Will, this is my Antique/Host/Cactus garden, complete with old milkcan, old totally wooden ladder, old wood and cow skull. ^_^ There is a hosta in the upper left corner behind the drift wood too. The cactus are hens n chicks in the rock by the milkcan and the wood on the right side. Also have a sedum in there. They don't get watered when I do the hosta. Also a little purple heart jew. The ladder, wood and cow skull have traveled all over with me as I moved from one state to another, until I finall y ended up here.

Thumbnail by Crit

OH, and there is my reflection in the window. LOL It is a work in progress. Still gathering host for there.

Hi Sally, I made a before and after picture of the watergarden. It took over a year to get this far! I hope this windowscreen/patio block contraption catches some of the mud, which is considerable.
You know, I think they mighta renamed Christmas Cactus to Spring Cactus, the only reason that I can think of is the former name was controversial. Or is it 2 separate plants? I saw a bunch again at Walmart that looked just like Christmas Cactus but they were labeled Spring Cactus. Why not name it Winter Cactus?! And THIS is what I worry about!!

That wagonload of flowers (Marigolds) I think are done for the year. The flowers are all brown and shriveled up. Some were hanging over the ground so I pulled them off and threw them in the wagon. I want the steenking Marigolds IN the wagon not around the wagon on the ground!

Hehe! I fall down gracefully, I go down with whatever it is I'm carrying haha! I don't try to be courageous and flail around and try to catch what I was carrying and catch my fall and everything,
I'll go down to the ground! I think thats worked in my favor in my life, it's like my secret to being injury free, knock on wood!

She hasn't been out to see it, but she saw the photos and praised me, (which makes it all worth it, I'm all about the praise!)! I told her if she goes outside she can't miss it! She still gives me a hard time about how she wanted a raingarden, not a waterpond! When she sees how nice it is later, I hope she'll think different!

Ack! Mosquito larvae is the scourge! The other day I needed to get in the pond to do something and I had that mosquito larvae all over me, I was appalled!! I had those water spiders running up my back, oh it was disgusting!! But, after a few minutes after I was out I forgot all about it, I don't think I even showered!!

I set the big rocks down slowly so not to puncture the liner. When I take the liner up, boy thats gonna be a lot of work!
Thanks for the compliments on it.

I have had a cow skull in storage for 5 years to use in a desert/rock garden. I asked a DG lady in TX. (she had a neighboring cattle ranch and has lots of them, her dogs always dragged them to her yard) to mail me one and I haven't used it yet!

Oh, nice desert garden there, Crit! I love the old accents, like the antique milk can and the old wood ladder too! And that cow skull!
I read just yesterday or the day before that bleach kills all living things, including plants. I was reading on what to do about mosquito larvae.
Thanks Crit. I want to finish that waterpond, my friend here says I don't finish stuff, but I do, I'll show her!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

It was dark when I took this photo so it's a bit blurry. This stretches across the front of the pond, it's about 10 feet long, I'm hoping it will catch some mud.

Oops, here is that screen thing I homemade.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

rofl, Will put her a rain garden right there....then you'll both be happy...rofl.

Here are a few pics of mine. Mine is built into the side of the earth berm on our house. I put it there because the dirt kept falling down and I wanted to try the water garden before I built a big one. I did everything myself from digging the hole to carrying the rocks to you name it. Building the waterfall and laying the rocks and rearranging the rocks I have fallen into the pond more than once. I don't know who it shocks worst me or the fish....rofl.

Mine is all made with concrete landscape blocks except for the waterfall. The blocks then go on around the berm and flowers and planted in it.

Thumbnail by happgarden

Here is looking down from the top of the waterfall, you can see how high up the berm really is. I had a pink waterlily blooming yesterday, today I have a small yellow.

Thumbnail by happgarden

Will my iris use to set on the waterfall and survived just fine all summer and all winter, but I have stuck them in my home made filter. My black tank is full of pads used on floor cleaners, I got them at the mop store, I think it is called in North Kansas City. They are not in a pot, just them and their roots, no dirt.

Thumbnail by happgarden

Will I moved a rock so you could see the pipe coming out of the black tub, it is hidden by rocks or if you just want a spout you could shoot it directly to the pond, my pump is too big and it would look like a fire hydrant shooting out.

Thumbnail by happgarden

This is what the pond looked like with the pillow and the screen, not very nice but it is so hot and it is on the west side of the house and since the pine trees are gone not one ounce of shade. I pulled the pump out so you could see it also. I have never covered the pond before but we have never had days on end of over 100 degrees either.

Thumbnail by happgarden

Well don't want to leave that ugly image in your head so here is the last one. The pillow trick really works, the water is clean enough you can see the fish and the pot that is under water. Thank goodness for the water lilies or you could see the pump, piping pots and everything...rofl

Thumbnail by happgarden

B-E-A-UTIFUL pond there Happ. I'm SOOOOO impressed you did that all yourself. You are just a jack of all trades my dear.

Will, I think your pond is going to be a thing of beauty when you get done. I can't believe your friend hasn't been out to see it!!! I wouldn't be able to NOT go look. Now tell me, what is a "rain garden" that she wanted. Not familiar with that.

I have a place I want to put a pond, but that is a project for another time. One of these days I will be able to do it. May have to bring Will and Happ down to help me out!

Hehe.. a raingarden is just rainwater that washes in from storms. It's more drainage and temporary than a waterpond. It doesn't have standing water in it long, so it couldn't support fish.
It would prolly entail way less work, but less satisfaction and enjoyment too! I balked pretty good on just a raingarden, no plants, no fish.
A raingarden isn't all bad, I may still make one to appease her and get some experience, I'd do it up with rocks and stuff. I'd prolly even do some digging, so it runs like a river, maybe even put my little bridge over it.

There IS somebody in the window!

Thats a nice watergarden you have there happ! Those must be the tropical waterlilies, they are bigger?! Eeek! I want blooming waterlilies, how neat is that?! That means they are definitely happy there! That was a lot of work, but it looks real nice. I love the landscape blocks.

Here is my waterpond tonite, see the trickle way back there? The trickle is coming down that big, flat rock in the middle kinda. It's a pretty good trickle, that worked out good, I'm surprised. Thats a clean water pump though, (the particle acceptance is tiny) it'll prolly need cleaning in a couple days, if not tomorrow. For a filter, I just did something fast. I put the pump in a knee-high panty hose and sealed up the end and just dropped it in there.
The knee high panty hose was black! Whats going on here, is my friend a lady of the night!!
At first, well actually a couple hours, I was stumped because my 2 cheap little pumps wouldn't work.
I was like, "okay, I've been had again", "I thought it was a good deal for $9.99 each, but they don't work!"! So, come to find out, much time and sweat later, that the old strip outlet was bad, so I hooked it up directly and it went like a house-a-fire! The second photo will be from the other side.

Sure Crit, I'd come down to help you on it. I don't know if those big limestone rocks are you're thing, but they're free when you get the fallen ones off the side of the highway like I did.
I'd suggest going quite a bit bigger than mine, maybe twice that size. It worked out okay for me but just barely! Bigger ponds are gonna need bigger everything, like pumps and the liner, that was a bit more money than I wanted to do myself.

Thanks for showing me the pump and filters and stuff happ. I need to do something there, before I burn up my little cheap pumps.
You have a lot of water plants there happ. If you want to get rid of some, I'd gladly relieve you of some! Hehe.. you fell in you're pond!!
You're pond is bigger than mine, maybe 500 gallons?
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Here is the view of it from the front, or the South side.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

This wren was letting me have it all afternoon!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Heres that trickle, I tried to zoom in on it and it's just a bad photo, it's a perfect trickle tho. You can still hear it like 50 feet away.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Marigolds, I think are done. Pretty soon you will be able to put pansies in the wagon.

Pansies eh? I have another wagon, new in the box to put flowers in, thanks for the idea birder!

That is a perfect rock for the trickle, is that water pooling up on top? If so you will have birds and butterflies landing there on the side. My waterfall will have birds up there on the edge getting a drink. Did you find the frog that you thought leaped in? They are pretty hard to spot, usually there eyes will peer up waiting to see when you get out of the way...LOL You will be surprised that will make a big difference in the mosquito population. They do not like moving water and if you have a frog he will eat some of them.

Thank you Crit, the pond is far from perfect but I am proud of it. I wanted to make a small one before I did the big one so I could figure out all the things I did wrong. I have learned alot...rofl. If I would of had to wait for DH I would still only have a whiskey barrel water garden...LOL Gardening is not his thing. Sides I kind of have this idea that if he can do it I can do it. Course would of been alot less work for me if he would of done it.... ;)

The waterlilies are all hardy or at least I hope so, most I have had for several years but got one that is suppose to be hardy from another DG'er . I haven't purchased any. When I use to go to the water garden meetings I think they said you should have 75% of the pond covered with plants if you have fish during the summer. My lotus isn't doing much, probably needs fertilizer but I am afraid to cause more alge to bloom..... I can sure give you some papyrus but it is not winter hardy, I keep it in the garden room in a cooler full of water. Did you weight yours down with a rock? The tall thing in the center blooms, cant think of the name right now.

My water garden is pretty deep, center about 4 feet or more, can't remember now, anyway I think I calculated it when I went to get the pump and it was actually 2,000 or more gallons. It is probably 5 1/2 feet wide at the widest, and 7 ft long maybe a little more. I made it deep to keep the fish year round. I was surprised how many gallons it was. The hardest thing for me is to leave things alone like the waterfall. I actually think I finally have it the way I want or it has been too hot for me to mess with it...

This pic is of the plant that adds oxygen to the pond, they told me it wouldn't survive the winter but it is going great for the last few years. See the fishys? They just come running when you show up wanted fed, even if you just fed them.

Thumbnail by happgarden

Thanks happ. I don't think it's ponding up there. When I was first putting that tube there the water was running and it went everywhere, it got all over that rock and around there. But, I think it's gonna stay in the pond. If it's lower tomorrow I'll know for sure!
Pretty fish there happ.

See that stray cat up there in the photo?! I think it was after that Wren, it never caught it I'm sure! Pretty cat tho, first time I'd seen it.

That is a lot of gallons happ, that is a good year around depth for fish, no worrying. I just have the one deep hole, it prolly goes down 26", it was 28" but the liner and settled debris have prolly reduced it.

I never did see that frog again. If it was there, it was stealthy!

It was www.skippysstuff.com where I read that bleach kills life, scroll down to "balance" then "example" - http://www.skippysstuff.com/tip4dumy.htm
"Tips for Dummies" If it says "Dummies" I read it!! That one is "Basic Pond Construction for Dummies".
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Crit, really? I think I will. Maybe I better take the pennies our first. I wouldn't want a reaction. I can't tell if they are keeping the algae down or not, but they sure clean the spot they're laying on.

Laugghhing, I'm learning a lot. The neighbor kids take Windex with them in the Spring, for gnats when they're fishing.

I love the little bed!
Cracking up over your reflection! I first noticed mine in the headstones, and have learned to take a picture sideways :o)

Will, laughing! Plant names are all confusing to me. I think they try to sell the same plants under new names in the catalogs too. Only if it's a hybrid or has someone's name on it, does it seem to keep the name over the years. It's a bit annoying when you want a real name for something.

I'm suprisingly injury free myself, LOL! I have learned to jump back as soon as I drop a knife!

All about the praise. Aren't we all! I can not believe she hasn't peeked yet!! I think she'll be amazed!

Laughing, I hope you had skeeter larvae all over you so they would die after you go out of the water.

It's amazing how far you've come! It looks really good!!

I hope it catches the rmud too.

Happ, I was thinking both could be had too, LOL!

You never cease to amaze me with all that you do!

That is really beautiful!

How did your berm come to be?

VERY nice Happ!

Will, that would be a great way to enjoy your bridge! If you could connect the two it would look awesome!

Cracking up over the panty hose!! Cracking up over how silly panty hose sounds!

Well, the pond and the trickle looks great and I can't wait to see it all finished. If something doesn't work, you'll have all Fall to figure it out.

It looks like the wagon was too hot. Maybe you can start a mini desert there.

Happ ROTFL over ''Course would of been alot less work for me if he would of done it."

How did you fill your pond? Our house pump would burn up, or it would take a week to fill it slowly.

The fishys are awesome! So that's what that plant is! Pretty cool!

Will, laughing! If he was there, he'll be back! He's just waiting for you to finish.

We were out at the peat bog and I spotted this bullfrog. DH tried to get close for size reference. I got one picture before he jumped.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Just scurrying by before I take Polly to the vet and go in for my back injections.

Will, if I may offer a suggestion???? Instead of the panty hose, wrap a piece of house screen around your pump and secure it, to keep the larger stuff away from it. It will stay put and you can lift the pump out and spray everything off of it, or maybe just pick it off. The panty hose will suck up to the filter and I'm afraid, in time, will burn it up because it is making the pump work harder to get the water. Fill up a panty hose with water and watch how long it takes to empty. I use screen around all my fountain pumps. Makes a big difference. Had one that didn't have a screen on it that got stuff wedged in it and burnt it up.

Crit that sounds like a good idea with the screen and the pump. Back injections....yuck! I have spider mites everywhere, I am gonna have to try the windex trick. Stop by dollar general on the way home, then after the sun sets start spraying. Now the ee's that I have planted in the barrel for the city have them! Dang I hate that.

I would think adding a little bleach to the bird water would be the same as the city adding clorinadtion to the drinking water. I know in a pond it is not good, throws everything out of balance, but it will clear out algae in a heart beat.

Billy, I have a giant well probably 4 feet across the top, with great flow, I am lucky in that respect. OK, I am blind I couldn't see the bull frog, I did read the really big frogs will eat my fish, so I don't want any huge ones. I have had lots of tadpoles before, I think some of the fish ate them. And I don't want to see my reflection in a headstone...rofl, that made me do a double take...rofl. Do you do genealogy?

That is my thinking on the bleach and chloronation Happ

This is what we are living with here today. This is my thermometer this afternoon. It goes up to about 110.5 when the wind isn't blowing through on it. Can you spell m-i-s-e-r-a-b-l-e? I feel so bad for my DH. His shop at the dealership doesn't have any windows on the east or north side they can open to get a draft through. Just one walk through door on the south and 3 big garage doors on the west. They have some big fans in there, but all the do is move around the hot air in there. (kind of like some of us! No names mentioned. lol)

Thumbnail by Crit
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Well, am back from my trip down south. Had a great time!! Stopped in Joplin to visit some relatives of my friend Lori and took a quick trip down Range Line Rd to see some of the damage. Didn't have to go far. One of the relatives lives just a few short blocks from where it starts. Saw Home Depot and some other businesses.

The pics aren't the greatest. Traffic was horrible so I was driving and aiming at the same time. This is across the street from Home Depot. You can see some of the damage on the trees and the building in the distance was destroyed.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Hi all,
Glad you had a good time Pepper! Wow, that pic Pepper shows how flat it is now.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, "except knives" hehe! I'll throw a knife (or anything sharp) away from me if I'm falling!
Thanks Sally, I can't stay away from the pond now!

Sure Crit, glad you mentioned that, it solved a pump problem today. That hadn't occurred to me that panty hose might be doing more harm than good. I put window screen around both of them and they are working good. Altho, now there is a problem somewhere with the electricity I think, it may be the outlet isn't providing it steady enuff perhaps. The flow of water comes out of the pumps kinda in an alternating way, like it's spitting, but it's still better than nothing I guess. I inserted a photo of a pump all wrapped up in window screen and stapled shut. I went out there early to see how much mud and stuff accumulated on the pump's intake, it was caked on! I took it off, and threw it, and of course, it all lands right on a pole to look nice!
The water still seems to be full of mosquito larvae, I thought a pump would do away with larvae?! The larvae seems to be very near the surface, maybe they are worried!

Eeeek! That IS hot Crit!! It is very warm here, but not OK. hot!! Tomorrow it's supposed to be 105°, we'll see if it gets that hot, that is up there! - http://www.weather.com/weather/today/64054:4:US

It's time for a new thread, anybody want to do the honors?! I'm gonna do like you guys, post Aug. 1st in July's.. hehe!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I let you know that I won't be on Internet for now (cancel)...
So Long everyone! Bye...

Oh Rusty hate it, wish you could stay with us. Yell when you get back on.

Glad that worked out for you Will. Did you think to spray the pump to clean anything out that might of gotten inside before you put it in the screen? If not, you could still probably go ahead and do it.

Some may see this on another thread, and I'm sorry if you do, but:
On a sad note, I lost my best gardening friend this morning .... Polly. She had been sick since Friday. Went to the animal emergency room Saturday and back to my vet this morning. It wasn't 2 hours after I dropped her off they called to tell me they had lost her. They resusitated her once, but couldn't get her back the 2nd time. Blood tests showed stuff all over the charts from too low to too high. Kidneys were all but shut down and her heart just gave out. She would of been 8 in October. Didn't know if she had gotten heat exhaustion or what. She stayed in the house and had a doggy door to go in and out, but if I was outside, she was there with me. Several times I had to lock her in to make her stay inside. I brought her home and my DH dug a nice grave for her in this rock hard dry ground that we have. Every time I look out my back window or go to the back yard I will see it and think of her. Polly-Wog, Polly-Wog Dog, Polly-Wolly Doodle, Little Fat Dog...... RIP my dear little fur baby. See the heart on her side? That is how big her heart was!!!!!!! The little grandkids could waller her all over and she just loved it She WILL be missed!

Thumbnail by Crit

At 4 this afternoon we were at 112*. The hottest part of the day is usually between 5 & 6. Will let you know if it changes. I have the sprinkler on my front shaded flower bed. The birds and hummers are loving it!

One more of my little gardening buddy. Wherever I was, she was. Even in the house!

Thumbnail by Crit
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Sorry to hear about Polly. I don't look forwards to the day my old cat Whiskers dies. I've had him since a year after we moved in here. About 14 years now I think. He's still going strong though, even in this heat. But being out in the country surrounded by woods there are plenty of cool spots for him to go to and he finds them when needed.

Had flu yesterday. Am mostly over it today. Head and neck hurt a bit but nothing major. Took time today to pull my tomato plants. My tomatoes were starting to rot on the vine so all the ones I could save got pulled and the plants are out and on the compost pile. Now hopefully my peppers, cukes and yellow squash will do better. Sweet potato vine is happy as a clam so no worries there. lol

Pic of Elk River from canoe on Saturday. This was before we hit the party crowds.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.