Central Midwest Gardening: July 2011 Dry and Hot!, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: July 2011 Dry and Hot!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of July 2011 Dry and Hot!
shortleaf wrote:
Oh.. thats great news about waterlilies growing under you're waterfall, happ. Waterlilies is the number one reason I made a waterpond and not a raingarden. My friend here wanted a raingarden only to solve the runoff/mud problem. I had to grovel and beg to have a waterpond, now it just has to also function as a way to empty out like it is, and solve the runoff/mud effectively while supporting plants and stuff. If you look at the back of it, it is shaped like a funnel, it has been working like I planned so far, only time will tell I guess! I hope it works well into the future or my name is mud! Here it is today. - I know theres a water garden forum but I like sharing here with people I know! Those blue plastic Maxwell House coffee cans have so many uses, I find a use for all of them! My camera is in one of those and the other one is a waterer. They are waterproof with the lid on of course! : ) One time, about a month ago, I left the one with my camera in it outside.
It stormed like crazy that nite, but my camera didn't get a drop of water on it! It was the storm that tore up trees and stuff, a biggie! I don't drink coffee, but the disabled lady here drinks it like it's going out of style.

Thanks birder! Thats what I'll do, put a Sum And Substance Hosta under the deck steps! I was trying to come up with something to plant there. I tell you, I sometimes drag my feet on what to do, there is so much to do! I just need to do stuff! I'm trying not to walk around with my hands empty as much. Of course, it never works out that way, but I can at least say I tried! : )

Thanks birder, I hope that Dragonfly wants to come back. At least she/he knows about it now!

Hehe! The Mini-Me Skip Jr.! I may be doing that, I might even have the components for it, or a facsimile of! Thanks for posting the link, happ. I'll bookmark skippysstuff, it's neat.

Glad to hear you guys in Joplin are coming back and everything, Rusty. Sorry to hear about the injuries and loss of life. 160 dead, that is a bunch, so many people there would know the deceased, the living victims.

I heard about Dunks, Crit, I might be buying those if it gets bad. Having mosquitoes to have dragonflies is a pretty good argument tho, I might need to keep the mosquitoes!

Hmmm... a saucer sled eh? I might get one to drag stuff, thanks billyp. I still have a good back! I'm not too proud to ask for help or just not carry something if it's too heavy. I'm not living my life with a hernia, altho, hernias can be fixed.

Yeah, the Cannas are a wonderful gift. They are getting more leaves all the time, they are going to make a fine addition. And, they are somewhat hardy, not January hardy, but I can wait till early Nov. or so to bring it in. They are like the Strawberry Begonia and the Purple Wandering Jew on surprise hardiness.
I figgered something out I think, I'm going to have a desert/rock garden (complete with cow skull and cacti), a tropical area (w/ Banana 'Basjoo' as the anchor), a shady area, (with Hostas and Ferns etc.) And of course, this glorious watergarden, and a regular garden with Tomatoes and Sweet Corn and stuff, maybe next year.
Will