Central Midwest Gardening: July 2011 Dry and Hot!, 1 by happgarden

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright happgarden

In reply to: July 2011 Dry and Hot!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of July 2011 Dry and Hot!
happgarden wrote:
That is a perfect rock for the trickle, is that water pooling up on top? If so you will have birds and butterflies landing there on the side. My waterfall will have birds up there on the edge getting a drink. Did you find the frog that you thought leaped in? They are pretty hard to spot, usually there eyes will peer up waiting to see when you get out of the way...LOL You will be surprised that will make a big difference in the mosquito population. They do not like moving water and if you have a frog he will eat some of them.

Thank you Crit, the pond is far from perfect but I am proud of it. I wanted to make a small one before I did the big one so I could figure out all the things I did wrong. I have learned alot...rofl. If I would of had to wait for DH I would still only have a whiskey barrel water garden...LOL Gardening is not his thing. Sides I kind of have this idea that if he can do it I can do it. Course would of been alot less work for me if he would of done it.... ;)

The waterlilies are all hardy or at least I hope so, most I have had for several years but got one that is suppose to be hardy from another DG'er . I haven't purchased any. When I use to go to the water garden meetings I think they said you should have 75% of the pond covered with plants if you have fish during the summer. My lotus isn't doing much, probably needs fertilizer but I am afraid to cause more alge to bloom..... I can sure give you some papyrus but it is not winter hardy, I keep it in the garden room in a cooler full of water. Did you weight yours down with a rock? The tall thing in the center blooms, cant think of the name right now.

My water garden is pretty deep, center about 4 feet or more, can't remember now, anyway I think I calculated it when I went to get the pump and it was actually 2,000 or more gallons. It is probably 5 1/2 feet wide at the widest, and 7 ft long maybe a little more. I made it deep to keep the fish year round. I was surprised how many gallons it was. The hardest thing for me is to leave things alone like the waterfall. I actually think I finally have it the way I want or it has been too hot for me to mess with it...

This pic is of the plant that adds oxygen to the pond, they told me it wouldn't survive the winter but it is going great for the last few years. See the fishys? They just come running when you show up wanted fed, even if you just fed them.