Color Echoes VI Color Theory in the Garden

Thomaston, CT

So very nice! I'm looking, but my combos are more opposite than complimentary....

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Pretty! I'm having the same problem Robin!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Very nice, Songs. The daylily buds also match the SPV and the hosta behind the Echies.

I have opposites as well but it's the echoes that entrance me.

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Good eye! The hosta is guacamole. I must have been hungry when I put this arrangement together :)

So funny and so true.

Hostas and sedum are two of the plants that Pamela Harper recommends using to use as, more or less, punctuation marks to end a color scheme and start another.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

All lovely. maozamom, the phlox and daylily are perfect together.

I have always liked this combo of Flameburst and Outrageous. Almost blindingly bright.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This one's a little hard to see in the photo, but the pollen and center of Little Red Dazzler just match the gold of the Condilla daylily.

Thomaston, CT

The DLs are bright, but really stand out in the garden....some that I love close up are wash outs from afar......

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

Linconitess...please forgive my swisscheese brain. Did I swap daylilies with you a few years ago? i have a spectacular double yellow daylily that I cannot figure out where I got, and a couple years of searching made me think it was Condilla.

Love that Little Red Dazzler!!!

This message was edited Jul 22, 2011 6:37 PM

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I have the swisscheese brain problem too. I do know that I either traded or sold some of my Condilla a few years back, but can't remember if it was to you. Condilla is 20", 4.5" bloom size and a bright gold. Your's doesn't look quite as bright, but could be.

Maybe not as ruffly. Oh well it's a gorgeous plant and I'm enjoying it. I do label everything but I do dog rescue so have puppies going thru in addition to my 5...haha...see how many tags they can fetch!!!

Here's another one I found...Muson's purple 'Malaysian Monarch' (loves the shade and holds color best in the shade), with Pauline Henry's 'Siloam Toddler'.

Thumbnail by pirl

The color of the azalea, 'Hilda Niblett', matches the edge on this sedum so well.

Thumbnail by pirl

Lupine and lily.

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Very stunning combos....dmc...thanks for doing the rescue......

Thank you, Marilyn.

Green and white of Polygonatum and the low growing Siderosticha.

Thumbnail by pirl

Oxalis and Tradescantia zebrina.

Thumbnail by pirl

Robindog, the dog "lost" in my garden is one of a pair I took from NC in March. They had been left on the side of a road and were found eating roadkill. Since they would be labeled pit bulls there because of the white face, and would be immediately killed in a shelter, I paid to have them brought up here. the other got a great home with a 7 year old girl & her doting parents...Petey I kept because he was like born to be my dog!! I have three more dogs coming in a week.

Pirl, i LOVE my purple oxalis, winter it over & put pots of it all over in my gardens! nice combos.

Here's a Lilting lavender Mess o Flowers

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

This may be like an echo chamber? Deafening Cacophony? But that Jellyfish Jealousy is outstanding...I so enjoy that plant!

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Everyone's DL's are so beautiful! Wish I had more sun!!

Love the combo of polygonatum with siderosticha.
I hadn't thought of them as a combo.
Looks great.
My polygonatum lives, but doesn't thrive. I think it's in too much shade.
I'm moving some to a brighter location this fall.

Pirl the polygonatum is variegated Solomons seal? Do you grow it in full sun? I bought some last year but mine doesn' thrive either and it should, I have tons of regular Solomons seal.

Lots of color in your photos, dmc. I can see why you love that daylily.

Thanks. Yes, it is the variegated Polygonatum/Solomon's Seal and it does get shade in the morning but sun early to late afternoon.

I have a lower version of it in another garden, also shady mornings and sunny afternoons, but it never gets as tall as the one in my photograph above. I'd go out and measure but the AC feels so good and the heat is so brutal.

Since we're at 300 posts I'll start a new thread.

Here is the new thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1199417/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.