Color Echoes VI Color Theory in the Garden

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice echos everyone.Here are mine for today. DL's mostly
Red Thrill spider type and Red Dutch lilies just opening.Royal Sunset just closing.Too hot and dry pluswind is just dehydrating every bloom

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

These are NOID's from a Daylily grower in Maine.
The Yarrow is Summer Pastel mix.Mostly paprika colors. Does anyone pinch their yarrows? When. Guess I am too late for this season.These are over 36 inches tall

Thumbnail by ge1836
Thomaston, CT

Pam, I love the photo with the lamb's ears! Linc, what lovely DLs....that bright spider one is my favorite. Jo, the lilies are wonderful for you...I know what you mean about hot & dry!

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

Kansas Kitten & Echinacea

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Daylily Lipstick Traces

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

First bloom ever on this seedling of mine, which happily ended up surrounded by Zinnia Red lime queen (I think, or is it Rose Lime Queen)

Pure accident. if the blooms on the DL clean up, it will be pretty!!!

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Hello all, I see a few familiar names here, was hoping to join in on the discussions. Just ordered Pamelas book, meant to a few days ago but...... I am sorry but I won't have any pix of garden this year, do have pix of previous years tho and am wanting discussion of ideas.. I am in process of deciding to relocate my garden to another area of my property. Had a huge hail and heavy rain yesterday ( 2nd year in a row, 5inches in 45 min.) So am thinking of moving to an area of property that doesn't get all the neighbors runoff as I am at the bottom of the hill, my 5 acres of precip. was more like 30 acres worth. Have been looking for plants that got washed out of ground so I can replant them for now in garden I've been working on for 4 years, right now garden is 45ftX100ft, was just beginning to look terrific, til yesterday, and all my seedlings which had not been potted on are simply ..... sad, not sure what will make it. Plants that were older are sill alive but are mere sticks for a few weeks til they releaf out. Will still get bloooms tho much later, those that bloomed early in the season are done til next year and am hoping I can still get some good color. Just a bunch of optimists, aren't we? I have studied many books on gardening, English cottage is my favorite, I live in zone 5, just outside of Denver, Co. at an altitude of 6800-6900 ft.. Therefore I have more intense sunlight than most. We are considered high plains desert, tho yesterday made up a third of annual precip., very unusual for such heavy rains (gosh I hope). Have been in process of growing most of my plants from seed or buying 21/4" pots, (mostly perenns.) Am looking forward to sharing ideas and pix, like I say my pix will be from previous years tho. Kathy. Pix is of state flower; Aquilgea carulea.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Thomaston, CT

Dmc....love the DLs....the deep colors go very well with the companion plants! The weather has been violent everywhere this summer, but at least my plants have not washed out of the ground, WWKathy! Sorry about your garden, & I hope you will relocate it.....

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Welcome Kathy! Sure hope you are able to save most of your plants. Sounds like you have a good about of space to work with.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Susan - very nice combinations. Apache Beacon looks lovely with Strawberry Fields. I think you're brave to put a real lily near the daylily. With the way daylilies grow here I'd likely stab the lily or ruin the daylily trying to move either of them. The Destined to See combo looks lovely.

Jo Ann - there is no pinching yarrow to make it bushier but if you cut the flowering stalk to the ground it should bloom repeatedly until October/November. I love Red Thrill and have it in the garden. It blooms for a very long time.

DMC - all three are beautiful. Too hard for me to pick a favorite but the Kansas Kitten shot is a winner. Isn't it a shame we have to wait for daylilies to clean up their act? I've had that with a few and finally gave them away.

Kathy - you DO have your work cut out for you! Good luck with that project!

Here's lily Triumphator with yarrow (I know the cream is off and will be removed if I remember to mark them) along with "inherited landscaping" hydrangeas.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love "long bloomers" pun intended.That should be a name for a 2 tone flower,dont cha think?

Or one with really droopy petals!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

pfffftttt

Thomaston, CT

Oh, that lily is a beauty, Pirl.....

Thanks, Marilyn.

This one, a gift from a friend a few years ago, is so lovely in the garden - Catherine the Great.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

beautiful soft color Pirl

Thanks, Jo Ann. I meant to post the same lily but with a color echo.

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Another beauty....and no damage from the red devil!

They haven't hitched a ride on the ferry yet, Marilyn.

Thomaston, CT

Hope they never do!

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Wow those lilies are amazing! Very Pretty with the hydrangea too. :)

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Pirl, just love the pix of Triumphator Lilies, nice sized patch, giving wonderful color. Nice pairing with the other pinks, just fabulous. Was wondering if Lily is an Ornipet (OrientalXTrumpet) or L.A. Hybrid (LongifoliumXAsiatic). Love the new crosses they are making these days, just wish they could somehow figure out how to make into a rebloomers, wouldn't that be grande!!! I sure hope that's one of those fragrant lilies. and you are enjoying, get a sniff for me.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

That is beautiful!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Pix above is: clockwise; wild sunflowers at 5ft^; Daisy Becky @ 48"^, 3 clumps; Penstemon strictus Rocky Mountain Blue @30"^, 3 clumps; Catanche carulea (Cupids Dart,blue, not blooming) 24"^; Lavendula angustifolia @ 18", 3 clumps (just beginning to open); Veronica spicata Sightseeing Blue @28", 8 clumps (only showing 3 or 4); center is Malva fastigiata (unk cultivar or can't remember), 3 clumps @ 36". Enjoy. Kathy.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Merideth.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats just lovely. Such a sense of vast open space with the road wandering off to the horizon.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

WWK, your garden is beautiful.
It's a totally different gardening environment than around here.
My garden is completely shady; I wouldn't know what to do with such open sunshine!
I've experienced that Colorado sunshine mid-summer - scorching!
In that respect, I'll appreciate my shade!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Wonderful Kathy. Great use of color and repetition.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

All echos today
Acapulco lily Monarda

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

BES vine Beckwiths Gem coleus

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Lily Alteri and new short phlox Junior Dance

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Coleus Mahogany Giant,heuchera

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Lily Starlette and monarda,lavander,liatris Kobold

Thumbnail by ge1836

Marilyn - IF the evil lily red devils do come over here I hope I can be as good a killer as Jo Ann is.

Thanks, Meredith and Kathy.

WWKathy - that scene, especially with the road at the right, is so lovely and so tranquil and it's so easy to get lost in day dreaming while looking at your photo.

Nice, Jo Ann! I especially like Mahogany Giant and whatever plant that appears black on the left of your last photo. Even if it's a shadow it makes a glorious match. Those Acapulco lilies certainly do smell divine.

Thomaston, CT

I hope so, Pirl! WWK, such a great photo.....cannot believe how flat everything is, looks more like Kansas than Colorado! Jo, colors are so soft & misty!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

LOL Robindog! The eastern half of Colorado IS more like Kansas (but drier)!

Beautiful shot, Kathy - I hope you get your garden back together. The rains this past week have been unreal!

I love seeing everyone's combinations, soon I'll try to post some of mine.

This message was edited Jul 15, 2011 3:00 PM

This message was edited Jul 15, 2011 3:05 PM

(Zone 7a)

Y'alls pics are so pretty. I wish I had more but that one spot with the whites was the only one I did on purpose. My others combos are all complimentary, not echoes.

Jellyfish Jealousy and yarrow

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Beautiful. The colors in the daylily also echo the daylilies in the background. Very pretty.

Thomaston, CT

Nice...hard to match yellows.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.