Color Echoes VI Color Theory in the Garden

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

that plant was such an easy keeper. cut it back and up it came again.

Jan

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Thanks; I have almost ordered this many times, I will have to really order it now.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Jan It goes on my list.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Anchusa looks beautiful. I was all set to get one until I read the part about not doing well in areas with high humidity. Bummer. I'll just add it to the (long) list of beauties I'd love to have in my yard, incl lupine, delphinium, meconopsis, etc, etc, etc... I'll just have to enjoy everyone else's.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Jan. That's a real beauty.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Isn't Florida an area of high humidity?

Thomaston, CT

Jo, I love the dark lily with the dark DL! Here's echie Sundown & heuchera Plum Frost....

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

Very pretty, Marilyn. Love how a bit of the purple shows up in the Sundown.

Thomaston, CT

I truly didn't notice it until this morning.....

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

weerobin don't you bush the envelope to see what will work????

caitlingarden that was from our home in northern ohio.

Jan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Nice ones JoAnn. I especially like the one with the dark lily and daylily too.

It's funny how echies change colors depending on what they are viewed next to. That one is very nice with the purple.

I noticed this morning how the gold eye of Persian Ruby echoes the gold in Gold Elephant.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Sunny Eyes is planted a little further down in the bed, but also echoes the ruby and gold.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This is a combo that doesn't quite work. It's Pink Giant Lily and Destined to See Daylily. I have a lavender daylily on the other side. I'm thinking maybe a deeper purple would be more effective. This all comes off a little boring.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I think some of that bright purple I see peeking out between the petals would be perfect!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

There is a magenta colored verbena in front of the daylily and also some deep violet annual vincas and impatients in the bed, but they just don't quite do it.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Right now I have Lavender Heartthrob in the middle with Destined to See on the left and Viola Francois, a near white to the right. Pink giant lily is behind. Here is a collage of the 4 of them.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I'm thinking of adding a darker lily, maybe Landini that is blooming now next to Pink Giant and maybe replacing the Lavender Hearttrob with something like Homewrecker or maybe something more purple. There is a Jackman clemetis that blooms at the same time to the left of the area too.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Ohhhh My that is just great.

These echos from my deck garden.
Elfen Coleus with Lantana

This message was edited Jul 7, 2011 3:16 AM

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sedona with Cantigne Royalle

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Mahogany Giant with Beckwiths Gem also some camps White Chips

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Same combo in a different tub, with hosta Nana

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just discovered Scavols this year. DG'er put me on to it.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Thomaston, CT

I'm partial to the pinks & lavenders, & I love that dark maroon coleus.....

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I think the dark Landini and the purple/pink spider are perfect with those lilies. I have a very similar DL called Fuchsia Fashion - you have to really have them blooming at the same time, and the only way you can get this is to grow them and see when they bloom.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I've been watching this thread for a while and haven't been able to think of any echoes in my garden. (collector first, designer second :-p)
I saw this tonight and wonder if it qualifies. It almost looks as if the flowers are coming from Heuchera Plum Pudding instead of Hosta Grand Tiara.
If I'm wrong please don't laugh. :-l

Thumbnail by killdawabbit
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love Plum Pudding

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Jo Ann, I really like the Elen Coleus with Lantana combination. The pink lantana and the white in the other leaves really lighten the dark coleus up.

killdawabbit, I think the blue in the hosta flowers do bring out the blue tones in the Plum Pudding leaves. I'd call it a color echo. Pretty.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

So many great pictures...
LInconitis, I think your new combo is the perfect fix. The added contrast of the deeper tones is gorgeous, much more exciting.
Marilyn, I love the shot of orange the sun added to the heart of the heuchera!
Amazing what an influence this thread has already had on my planting. Ive been re-arranging like mad...but it will still be a while before I'm sure I'm on the right track. There are too many new plants I haven't seen bloom yet, and still much too much 'one of this and one of that' to be able to tell how it will all work eventually. I'm hoping annuals will fill in the blanks, but they're still too small...patience is a virtue I'm quite short of...sigh...

Pam

I'm enjoying reading what others see in the photos. Then I go back and check them again and see what I've missed.

I do like how the flowers of the hosta seem to come from the heuchera KDW. That Grand Tiara is one easy hosta, isn't it? Always looks so good.

Pam - you can always follow the lead of Pam Harper and walk around with either a leaf or a flower until you find your perfect match. It's much easier than lugging plants around the property.

Found this one yesterday as I was out doing early morning photography. Technically, the caladium shouldn't appear here because it's not a perennial and this thread is about perennials but the Fen's Ruby euphorbia qualifies. I love that plant.

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Not only is the color pretty, the textures are wonderful, Pirl.....

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Good eye Pirl

Thanks, Marilyn and Jo Ann. The only reason I even snapped the photo was to show me where I planted the caladiums but I ended up loving the match and the textures.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Very nice combo pirl. Lovely euphorbia.

This collage is of 5 daylilies that are all along my front sidewalk and all blooming now. I'm sure putting 5 daylilies with eyes together is probably a no-no, but somehow the color echoes make them look OK to me. The achillea is Appleblossom which is pinker when it first opens and needs cut back now. Since this front strip has at least 50 daylilies planted in it along with a number of lilies, there are some jarring notes that I need to get worked out over time.

The eyes still go well due to their being similar to the darker daylilies. I like your combos.

My yarrow also bleaches out somewhat in the sun so I cut the stems back to the earth and it keeps on blooming for months.

Thumbnail by pirl
(Zone 7a)

Love, love, love all the combos!!!

Sometimes, they are by accident.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Beautiful. The red in the leaves at right could hardly match the dahlias more if you did plan it! They are dahlias, right? What is their name? They'd go with my Japanese iris garden as well.

Carolyn Whorton caladiums from DG's own Caladiums4less, Bill.

Thumbnail by pirl
(Zone 7a)

No, not dahlias. That is Coreopsis 'Strawberry Lemeonade' paired with Japanese Blood Grass. I should have said. ^_^

Oooh! Thanks so much. That's a beauty.

(Zone 7a)

Yes, it is. I really like it. garden Crossings offered it as a free item. I figured that, even having to pay postage, it was worth it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.