Color Echoes VI Color Theory in the Garden

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Very Pretty I love Buddha too :)

(Zone 7a)

Mine appears to have a snail in his armpit. Or bird poop. LOL I will have to remedy that.

Lol I didn't even notice! I had to go back and look again. :)

Thomaston, CT

Very nice combos!

ge - are you growing the Scaveola in full sun? I've been tempted to use it but I only have part sun.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I would call it part sun.Dappled sun for the early AM thenfull sun until 2:oo then shade.

Thanks for letting me know. A new annual for me to try.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I used to buy Scaveola for planters in Southampton in full sun. If they didn't get enough water, they croaked. Very unforgiving, like impatiens for sun. So I guess filtered sun is more practical...

Pam

Edited for grammar...

This message was edited Jul 8, 2011 3:20 PM

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Mine also croaked here in sun, Pam.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I found echoes Renoires and Strawberry Cream lilies.Complimented with Yarrow and Salvia Eveline

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Opps clicked the wrong file. Trying to eat supper and do Daves.

Thumbnail by ge1836

I would never have guessed the Scaveola wouldn't hold up to full sun. Thanks for all of the input!

It's one that resents reviving even in shade.

Very Pretty Joann!

I wanted this to be a color echo.. Not sure if it worked!

Thumbnail by Meredith79
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its a nice one Merideth
I had Coriopses Sienna Sunset.2 years.It was beautiful.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

ge, what happened to your SS coriopsis? I have some because of your photos and am really liking it.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

There are 2 theories.
#1 "It just gave up after 2 years of splendidness"
#2 it was early spring and I was using Roundup to get those dandelions that settle next to the stems of plants, and didnt warn myself when I thought" Ohh the plant hasnt appeared yet and its OK to shoot the dandelion."

I am thinking #2. I will replace it but in another garden. Dont you love the shape of the plant?
A pillow of peachy blooms that last a long time.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I forgot my echo for today.
Lily Sophie and DL Starling

Thumbnail by ge1836

It looks like a nice match.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just one of thos "no choice as to where the lily goes" I just dug and planted in the only space there as. Love serandipity.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Same here. Anastasia just happens to look nice with the Louise Lemky daylily and also with the Robina that is blooming in the same bed. Ignore the Orange Velvet blooming behind it. Someday I will have to move that thing, but for some reason I just like it there.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Thomaston, CT

Those are all wonderful echoes!

Anastasia goes well with white, too.

Susan - love how the gold background flowers match the center of the daylily - perfect color echo.

Thumbnail by pirl
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This is my favority shady part of my garden, I love the colors together.

I have seen some nice Lupine in some of the picture, is it to late for me to plant seeds of lupine that I missed this spring, ????

Thumbnail by kiseta

Very nice, Etelka. It's too late to get flowers this year for lupine but you can spread seeds in winter.

I found this great list from somewhere....
Sowing Seeds in Summer
*July Sowing Perennials
Agastache Anemone Arabis Asclepias Aubrietia Buddleya Carnation Centaurea Cheiranthus Delphinium Doronicum Erigeron Everlastings Gaillardia Heliopsis Hibiscus Lathyrus Linum Lupins Myosotis Pampas Grass Physalis Polemonium Primula-Malacoides Pyrethrum Scabiosa Statice Venidium Wallflower

*August Sowing Perennials
Achillea Anchusa Aquilegia Armeria Astilbe Bergenia Candytuft Catananche Cerastium Coreopsis
Dicentra Echinops Euphorbia Foxglove Gypsophila Heuchera Hypericum Liatris Lunaria Monarda Ornamental Grass Phlox Platycodon Primula - Acaulis Primula-Polyanthus Saponaria
Stachys Tritoma Veronica

*September Sowing Perennials
Alyssum Anthemis Arenaria Aster Bellis Perennis Campanula Carnation-Tall Centranthus Chrysanthemum Dianthus Echinacea Eucalyptus Felicia Geum Hesperis Hollyhock Leontopodium Lobelia-Cardinalis Lychnis Oenothera Penstemon Physostegia Poppy Primula-Obconica Rudbeckia Sedum Sweet William Verbascum Salvia

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you Meredith, but would it make a difference the zones, I am in 7-8 right on the border, you are in 5b. It sounds good, now I can keep my self occupied with new flowers.

I found it on a seed site can't remember which one, so I'm not sure which zone they are going by probably warmer than me but cooler than you... but I think if the plants seeds are ripe that is a good time to sow them because that's when nature would... My Lupines seeds are just about ready to pop now. They were probably ready in your zone before now.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I am using commercial seeds, not my own grown. I ran out of time this spring.

I know but I'm just saying when the plants naturally sow themselves would be a good time to sow yours. :) That's all.

I agree, Meredith, and it's what I do here.

Me three...

Here's a silver/blue/purple echo...Salvia Caradonna, Lavandula Munstead and Russian Sage behind. The shapes are echoes as well as the colors

Thumbnail by Pfg

Here's another, and the rocks add too...

Thumbnail by Pfg

This red one doesn't quite work yet, but I still like it. Rose Home Run, Red snapdragons, Penstemon Husker Red. Next to it is a red tinged heuchera which is still recovering from aggressive division this spring, that may make a difference when it fills in.

Pam

Thumbnail by Pfg

i'm still waiting for the book to come...$.01 is cheap enough, but I would have paid more for shipping if I knew it would take so long! So I'm not sure if this qualifies, but I like it. Monarda and Cotinus.

Pam

Thumbnail by Pfg
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Pfg, I really like the silver/blue/purple echo. Very soothing.

Today I walked around with some flowers trying to make some better matches and also took some notes on what needs to be removed and what to replace it with. I decided to add Blueberry Breakfast to the bed with Destined to See and Lavender Heartthrob. I think it adds some color without overpowering them. Here they are together.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Right now, I have Mildred Mitchell growing behind Purple Maze and then a tall Kentucky lily. I plan to remove the MM and replace it with a purple daylily, probably Police and Thieves. Then may also move some Muscadet lilies near them to bloom a little later. Here they are together.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Waterspirit daylily is in a bed with some purple heart. I noticed today how well they look with the lavender flowers of purple heart opening. I had to move a little piece to get the purple heart in the same photo as the daylily. I'm also thinking of moving what I think is Apache Beacon, a rose spider daylily with purple eye, to this bed. What do you think? I'm a little iffy aout it.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The other place that Apache Beacon could go would be behind Strawberry Fields Forever and in front of a purple barberry bush.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.