What's Blooming in Your Garden? Part lll

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Mexican Sunflower. ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

I love Mexican Sunflowers! So do the Monarchs :)

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

crocosmia

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I am thrilled to see a delphinium survive our humidity. Blooming today.
It's delphinium exaltatum, for any of those other humid-climate gardeners who'd like to try it.
I got mine from Fairweather Gardens.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Ligularia The Rocket

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nice Crocs. Wee, I love Delphy but they've proven to be frinicky in my garden for some reason. The Ligularia is pretty interesting.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Clethra or commonly known as 'Sweet Pepper bush'.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Great photos.
I have been busy transplanting after landscapers put in 2 lilac bushes.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

What a nice shot, Lily! And the butterfly patiently posed for you also.
Is that Ruby Spice? Yours is prettier (darker pink) than mine, sorry to say.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

GE, sorry to say, but I've been trying to do damage control after movers trampled my yard in a rainstorm yesterday!
It's complete sodden mess. I was at a total loss for words when I saw it, but the deed was already done.
I'm more philasophical about it today - I'm trying to look upon it as another planting opportunity!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Weerobin, I purchased the plant from a local fav. nursery. Only knew it was a 'sweet pepper bush'. But it sure does look like Ruby Spice, doesn't it? Sorry about the movers' deed. Hope it works out. JoAnn, I love lilacs, down South we've to be contented with this 'Lilac of the South' aka crepe myrtles, lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Reblooming crossvine, this vine in early spring will be full of blooms. Now it only gives me one here and there to reminds me how pretty it was in Spring.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

OMG I cant imaging comming out of that depression.
This was planned landscaping ,we removed diseased vibernums.

Can I ask if the crossvine is (how should I say) aggressive or weedy, like it's cousin Trumpet Vine? I am interested in trying one but don't want to plant it in the wrong spot like I did with my trumpet vine (which has yet to bloom and I planted it in 2006).

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Meredith, this one is a cultivar called 'Tangerine Beauty'. Like most hybrids, it is sterile. It does best in sunny area. It would take time to mature and flower in the shade, but with age it performs well eventually. I love it.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The DL's and dwarf Platycodones in the birdbath garden

Thumbnail by ge1836
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Very nice birdbath garden, JoAnn. Mexican Sunflowers, so ready for Monarch. But hummingbirds are taking advantage of these flowers today.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Very nice Joann! Lily the Mexican Sunflowers are pretty and is that a Plumeria!? It's huge! I didn't think you could grow those north of south florida..

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Meredith, yes those are plumerias. Those are in containers and are brought into our make shift garage in late fall, and back out door in early spring. We've almost 9 months of gardening down South so they thrive, even make seedpods.

(Zone 7a)

Okay, NOW I'm jealous. LOL I would love a 9 month growing period.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Common down, kwanjin. Lot of land is available down here. lol. I can raise lot of semitropical down here too.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

I had two Plumerias in pots and one of them rotted this winter. The other one has been neglected but is still alive. I just started aclimating it to outside so I am pretty sure I won't see any flowers. So far it's only had one and it was because it had buds on it when I bought it. All of them dried up and died except one! I've had it for about 3 years now I'd say and it's only about 2' high. I can't imagine moving one that large! It must be a trick, what size pot is it in? I hoped I could get one to get that big and flower for me but I think I need a heated greenhouse in order for that to happen. I don't even have an unheated..

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Meredith, I've learned that many DGers overwinter their plummies in dark room and withhold water during the winter period. That seems to work best. Considering the expense to keep up a greenhouse. The costs of heating and lighting could be out of hands quick. That said. I do have a basement that DH added florescent light, a watering hose, that keeps ours going, but that too require lots of labor and expenses.

Thanks, that is what I do too. My growing season is so short I don't think it has enough time to bloom. A greenhouse is just a dream, even if I could afford it I don't have a good place to put it!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

For plumerias for me too, it needs at least 12 hours of direct sunlight to bloom properly.

(Zone 7a)

Which explains why mine has never bloomed. I have no direct sun into the house. I could put it outside in the Spring but I fear a sudden cold snap would kill it. I do have a greenhouse but it has no power or shade. Suggestions?

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Backberry Lily, Rudbeckia, and a lily.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

lovely colors

Thanks!
Wow that looks gorgeous and I'm not usually a fan of yellow and orange. I have some Candy Lillies and the foliage is already destroyed with spots. I wonder if the Blackberry Lillies foliage would hold up better for me?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Blackberry and candy lilies, I thought they're the one and the same? J. that is a pretty combo.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

'Limelight' hydrangea.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Very Pretty!
I find it interesting that Candy Lilies are a hybrid of Belamcanda (Blackberry Lily) and Pardanthopsis (Vesper Iris). I always have luck with wild versions of plants, they do better in my droughty soil. Perfect example is Phlox, all the hybrid garden center varieties I have, always get Powdery Mildew, and they are spaced and I try to give them full sun. But my wild Paniculatas never get it and they are crowded and in partial shade, and dry soil..

Jmorth you should put that one on the color echos thread here in the perennials forum... The center of those rudbeckia is what I think is making the play so well together. :)

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Mint Fizz and Rudbeckia

Thumbnail by jmorth
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Meredith for the shared info. as mentioned. J. lovely lilies and Rudbeckia repeated color scheme!

Okay here is my ' colors echo.' Joe Pye weeds and Clethra's blooms.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Very nice! : )

(Zone 7a)

My Mist Flower isn't doing what it's supposed to do. The flowers are hiding. LOL

This message was edited Jul 14, 2011 8:50 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Maybe it will come along.. My hardy Mistflowers don't start out reall impressive but once they are in full bloom they are covered in flowers. :)

(Zone 7a)

I hope so. The ones next to this one are much taller and are not flowering.

And I have fogotten the name of this one.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Very Cute little penstemon!

(Zone 7a)

I hope so. The ones next to that one are much taller and are not flowering.

And I have fogotten the name of this one.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.