Cheapest Trellis You've Ever Seen!

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I am still holding on to this thread so I can remember to do it one day.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Great ide!a

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

They worked out beautifully for me this year!

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum Thumbnail by Xeramtheum Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

great idea!

Cut shorter, they would make great row tunnel hoops. Much sturdier than a single hoop, like in this picture, and would keep the frost cover or shade cover from sagging as much between the hoops, since they are wider. Thanks for the tip!

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Cowichan Valley, BC(Zone 8b)

took a tip from kevcarr59 and looked up ladder mesh. Bingo! Found a manufacturer's site that shows all the different widths and thickneses they make. (some of the thicker stuff may work for tomato cages too?!). As if that weren't enough, there's "Truss Mesh" - with a zig zag pattern! http://wirebond.com/

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

How cool is that! I'm thinking I need to go visit some masonry supply stores around here!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm going to rey to locate them again this year. Will go argue with HD first.
Worth looking for I'm sure.
Bonnie

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks for leading me here, Bonnie.

Fantastic idea, Xeramtheum! I'll be using it in a few places this year.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Cool product, I'll have to look into that.

BUda, TX(Zone 8b)

Bonnie, HD doesn't carry the ladder wire, which is perplexing, since they carry all the other masonry & stucco supplies. When I drove truck I picked up the ladder wire at the distributor in Ft. Worth. One time I had to get 1 bundle of the small wire and had it on the back of a 48' flatbed trailer. Had a few chuckles on the CB with that LOAD...

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

In a few more weeks I'll be setting up my MG beds using the wire ladders - I'm planning to grow 24 different cultivars! Here is the list of what I'll be growing.

Apricot Candy
BP-MBR - F2 Cross
BP-MBR - F3 Cross
BP-MBR - F3 Cross
BP-MBR - F4 Cross
Firecracker Vine
Sepacuitensis
Aomurasakihigesibori - OP
Blue Silk - PB
Blue Silk ♀ x Rose Silk ♂
Blue Silk ♂ x Rose Silk ♀
Dbl Blue Picotee
Fujishibori
Hige - Pink -SR_Bed_Center_Post_OP
Hige - Possibly Gypsy Bride - Mix - Frame-OP
Kanoko Red Speckled
Kikyo X Fuji - OP - F2 White-Feardyn OP
Kikyo X Fuji - OP - F2 White-Feardyn PB
Kikyo Zaki OP Fujishibori - F2
Minibar Rose
Mixed OP - Fearadyn - F2 - OP
Platy Blue X Fujishibori - F3 - OP
Red Picotee - A
Yojiro Mix

Here is a picture of the diagram I worked out.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

That's a LOT of Morning glory!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That's about the number I grow every year - I like MG's

Virginia Beach, VA

Clever !! Will go to HD .

Belle

This message was edited Jan 27, 2013 9:56 AM

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Zeran,
I want to see them when they are all in bloom. You will have a spectacular display of MG. I would think they would grow here in central Fl. First to get those ladders.

Kev:
Exactly what I was thinking. Have to buy a bundle. We have a 16 ft. trailor but lots of trouble to hook up just for a bundle but we have done wacker things. Just don't know what I would do with a whole bundle.

I'll find someplace to get it I'm sure.
Thanks all, Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sorry for screwing up spelling of your name. I'll try to hit X next time.

Boy did you start someting with this thread. I think you deserve a commission on sales that I'm sure will increase.

Bonnie

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Lol .. not to worry .. you should hear some of the attempts to pronounce Xeramtheum by people who don't know that X sounds like a Z. As to the boost in masonry ladder sales, I just hope home depot doesn't catch on and start charging more for them!

I'll be starting the MG seeds around late February .. I'd like to start them sooner but experience has taught me not to since they have a nasty tendency to grab everything in sight and give them a hug once they reach over 6 inches tall .. it's a real pain to have to extricate victims from the MG Muggers without damaging anything.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Xeranthrum,
Isn't your forum name the name of a European plant? It just intrigued me so I tried to look it up.

I also ended up on www.wirebond.com site. the other night. When I worked in purchasing for FMC Corp. we ordered welding wire in large spools and it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't mfg. that. My husb. is a retired welder and he said if he had a piece and cut it he would know what it was made of exactly. He studyed metalergy as part of an apprenticeship and has welded up many different types of wire over the years.

It's a riot how someting gets started on these forums and spreads like wildfire. I think its wonderful how we help each other develope ideas and uses for products intended for someting else. Ingenuity!!!

Bonnie

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I changed a few letters in Xeranthemum - a kind of daisy.

BUda, TX(Zone 8b)

Bonnie:
You don't have to worry about the trailer... If I remember, the small size I had to pick up was the 2" wire, and the pieces are only 6' long. You could put it in a Smart car...LOL... I has being a little sarcastic...

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Kev,
We have an old pickup that hauls everything. I have a new SantaFe SUV and have hauled stuff in it I shouldn't but heck its for my use not a trophy vehicle. Do you recall the price of a bundle and how many pieces were in it? If not that ok. I just like to plan finances as we live on SS.

Well sun is up and its almost 8AM so its time I got outside and got busy. Someone once told me a garden was NEVER don and always an ongoing project and its so true.

Have a good day.

Bonnie

YES, my garden is more in process than the interior of my home. Don't get me wrong, I have unfinished projects there too, but the garden!!! OH my garden I enjoy!!!

BUda, TX(Zone 8b)

BG:
That was about 8 or 9 years ago so the price has more than likely gone up 50 or 60%, but it's not expensive. The bundles are about 20 or 25 pieces, depending on size. They don't weight but about 40#'s... or so..

This message was edited Jan 29, 2013 5:32 PM

Dahlonega, GA

Xera , I see you have some of that bamboo stuff like fence . Where can I get that and what is it called ? Looks great .

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

It's called Reed Fencing .. I get it at Home Depot. Looks good for about a year or so then goes weathered brown. If you spray it with some water seal stuff it stays pretty a little bit longer. I have to replace it every 3 years. I just checked a Home Depot in your area and it carries it. You'll find it in the Garden Department.

Dahlonega, GA

Thanks bunches . I'll call them for price . I'm in Texas tho , we have H D here too .

Linden, NC

Hey ya'll new to the forum and this thread caught my eye. when I went to the Lowes website I found that they call the ladders "Steel Remesh" http://www.lowes.com/pd_12150-157-05573_0__?productId=3010028 and sell them 10' long for $3.47!! I am over the moon since I have been trying to find an affordable solution to my vining tomatoes and I think this one just might work!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Terrific! Thanks so much!

THANKS Jay, and welcome to this forum.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Cool! Thanks for the tip .. I looked at my lowes and couldn't find them - I'll have to look again.

BUda, TX(Zone 8b)

Any good masonry or stucco supply house should have this item, and in the different sizes. I've seen it from about 2" wide all the way up to almost 12" wide, but the thickness didn't change all that much.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Still haven't called but here's Wire-Bond tel. no. and they are mfg. 1-800-849-6722. They should have list of their retail outlets.

Xeran-just had plant RU here last Sat. By accident I planted MG seeds in 3 flats and they really took off. What was left I am putting in hanging pots. Boy do they cling to anything they are near. Wonderful.
BTW have any pics of yours now.

Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Accidentally clicked on Texas gardening forum. Wow what they did with cattle panels for trellises is fantastic. I'm sure with all the cows growing around here we must have them at Tractor Supply or one of the feed stores. Will check it out.
My husb. happens to be a retired welder and if he won't do he can show me how to. They made beautiful oblisks (sp).
What inspiration.

Bonnie

Yes, cattle panels do work great but they are SPENDY>>>!!

Dahlonega, GA

Cattle panels only cost about 15.00 -16.00 bucks here or in Tex too . One can make two arbors

OK, then NOT talking about the cattle panels I'm familiar with!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I work for a HD here in Baltimore-

Went to their on-line page--homedepot.com--and nothing came up.
Not by the Sku--and not by the name.

Might have gone to La-La-Land in the sky.....or it may be something "Regional"......

Gita

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm still buying them here .. next to the rebar.

I really put them to the test this year and they are working out better than I imagined!

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I'm going to check when I get down there. Might be a while tho. 100 miles away. Will try to find something closer.

In the meantime, I have a question,and since you are an expert on Morning Glories it looks like I came to the right place. I planted 2 hanging planters of Japanese Morning Glories this spring. They are all filled out in vines, but no flowers at all. Am attaching pictures. I have them in the shade because when I put them in the sun they didn't grow and almost wilted all the time.

If you can help me I would appreciate it. Also, I gave them Bloom fertilizer once.

Thanks, Jeanette

Thumbnail by Jnette
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Whoops, wonder what happened. The picture isn't there. Here it is I hope.

Thumbnail by Jnette

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.