Let's See New Lilies Sprouting #3

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Steve, before you sign papers to list and sell your property, have the realter put a statement in saying that you can take your flowers any time you wish in the next 6 months.
That is what we did when we sold our farm. I was not going to leave any of my flowers, but did leave a start of each which they then mowed off!!
After putting up a stink about our statement that the attorney put in the sales agreement.

Maxine

PS. all of you have such beautiful lilies. Some of mine are getting buds on, must be the earliest I have seen buds on them.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Kiss Me Kate

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Green Goddess

Thumbnail by jmorth
Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

jmorth, Green Goddess is absolutely amazing.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

jmorth, they are gorgeous! Please keep them coming.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Green Goddess was aquired through Buggy Crazy, miss her.
Thanks Donna. Gotta about a 100 to go...
Here's a Noid:

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Check out this 'field' of crimson -

Thumbnail by jmorth
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wasn't Buggy wonderful? I miss her too. Last year was the first time I discovered her, and I got some great lilies from her. I really wanted to support her, and her gorgeous choices made it easy.

You're ahead of me. Some of mine have barely emerged. My peonies are also about a week late, changing the pattern of dates going back ten years.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks all :-)

jmorth, love the crimson masses and also the Green Goddess is wonderful as well :-)

Got these from OHG

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Another

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I like this orange Asiatic. Asiatics are still blooming but OT's are finally starting to open.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

White Asiatic

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Saltarello - one of my favorite OT's - tonight. It has been in mid-90's all week and no signs of heat stress on this one.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, there's no lack of color in the Stevie garden. How wonderful! Is the OHG Red velvet? I have to thank you and Jmorth for getting me out of pastel land. I've got a bunch of red ones - La's and Orientals, for the first time.

I've never heard os Saltarello - you always have something I've never seen. It's awesome!

(Debra) Garland, TX

Steve, what's that white-edged purple Daylily?

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks Donna!

It's called "Indian Giver" (no I didn't come up with the unfortunate name LOL) - got it from Oakes, Debra. I love it! Here's another shot I took tonight.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

And yes Donna it is "Red Velvet" - good eye you have! One of the prettiest red lilies - ever. I got some about four years ago and got more the following year because I liked them so much.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Cem, I have the same problem you do. Catalogs show up and become weak - really quickly. I need to hold out for when I move but like you will probably cave in at some point. Van Engelen's and John Scheeper's catalogs arrived and they are pretty good sources for buyng lily color en masse at low prices, For the cooler varieties I go to B&D (and formerly Buggy - sniff) as well as Lily Garden but of course they are much more expensive. OHG has a few cool ones but does not carry a huge number of lilies.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh - a pink Tiger

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Lily_love, would love to see some wide shots of your gardens. Yours as well, Cem. I know your lilies are blooming right now!!!! Both of you are quite accomplished with your various plantings.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, Lily_love and Cem, please!

And yes, Van Engelen and Scheepers showed up today. Then the emails from B&B!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Lollipot 6-1-11

Thumbnail by jmorth
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Steve & Donna, check this thread out. There one can see some wide angle of the garden. I'm doing some revision to the front of the garden this year. Jack, Lollipops are the first to bloom in spring for my lilies....though, voles have claimed many of my lilium this year. :((

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1183529/

(Debra) Garland, TX

Thanks, Steve. I've become addicted to getting Daylilies this year. Been ordering the bright reds and white-edged purples. So many I'm going to have to dig another chunk of yard up for another bed. (Like THAT breaks my heart. LOL)

NOID yellow Lily. Clearance pots from box store a few years ago. They smell wonderful, come back every year without complaint, and cheerfully multiply-even in a very harsh area of the yard. Bought more bulbs this year. Elodie, Conca d'or, and Casa Blanca. Think I need to move them to sunnier spots, but will see.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

My boss gave me these bulbs in a container three years ago and they keep coming back. Absolutely love the color.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Lily_love, what a great thread.

And try this for voles. I was using Volblok/Permatil but I found something better. Voles stay away from daffodils, because they can sniff them out and they are poisonous. I started adding miniature tulips (W.P Milner is good and cheap) to my lily beds and the damage stopped cold. It also seems to work on rabbits. And it works as long as the bulbs are there. I once lost 100 lily bulbs to voles. Last year I lost - NONE!

WP Milner does not leave big hulking foliage everywhere either. And it fades quickly.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh Donna, many thanks. It's time for me to bring back some daffodils to the garden. miniature tulips? Where is the source for W.P. Milner? I irrigated the garden yesterday. This culprit was probably got disoriented by the soaking irrigation. It came out of hiding and running in circle on the hot pavement yesterday. Who's responsible for my missing 'Arabian' red, 'Casa Blanca' many a 'Star Gazers' and other treasured lilies.

Ooops; editted for typo.

This message was edited Jun 2, 2011 10:58 AM

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I got them from two sources, and could never tell the difference between them. Brent and Becky's Bulbs, and McClure and Zimmerman. McClure and Zimmerman has so so reviews on DG but I order from them every year and I have always been happy. But B&B is an ace supplier and they are actually cheaper.

http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/spring/productview/index.php?sku=01-1426

http://www.mzbulb.com/dp.asp?pID=D108

Old House Gardens used to have them but WOW! they are expensive.

I used to lose my Hearts Delight Tulips every year to rabbits and voles. I would put them in and hope. No more!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

And, by the way, the foliage is unobtrusive and fades quickly. It's not the big strapping stuff that dies a slow, ugly death over several months.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Lilylove, thanks so much for the link...what pretty garden shots and love your perennial garden.

Debra, your yellow NOID is beautiful. Looks like an LA lily? Hard to tell by looking at it - is it fragrant? Conca d'Or is a great lily and being a strong, heat-resistant OT is good in our climate. Casablanca, that one I did not have such good luck with. Did OK the first year then declined. Let me know how yours fares!

I really like how the daylilies fill in the gaps...in fact they're dominating the garden scene right now. I am having one the the best daylily seasons I have ever had. If only ya didn't have to deadhead every day for them to not look scraggly :-( Funny - Maxine hates daylilies and Rita (NY) hates peonies. LOL.....I cannot imagine a garden without either.

Donna, have to agree with you on OHG. I love buying from them and their service and customer focus are second to none, but they're just not a realistic source for significant numbers of bulbs for many people due to their prices. I love their hyacinths though and they have many daff varieties well suited to many in the deep south, probably a better selection in that regard than anyone...and their stuff has all done well for me.

Silk Road just opening, with lots of brown pollen all over it. One of the finest OT's and one of the best for the south in the lily genus, no contest. I have a bunch of these and they seem to ciome back strongly every year. Temps in high 90's every day this week and not much heat stress apparent on this one.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Tiger Play

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Good Night

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Lily fields vista

Thumbnail by jmorth
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Jmorth, your lily fields vista is incredibly beautiful. What a lovely yard you have, and hpw gorgeously laid out. I love the way you work with intense colors. I never really figured out how to do that.

Steve, I got Silk Road after seeing it in your yard. That lily is outrageous. I dug one up to put in a pot when it was one foot tall. I threw it in the trunk of my car in some soil overnight. I potted it in one of my rose pots. It shot up another foot within two days. And I dug it up because somehow it had pushed itself to the surface of the soil. You could just look down and see the yellowness of the bulb on the ground. Almost scary. I'm surprised that it didn't reach up and grab me.

And I agree with you that OHG hyacinths are unbeatable. I have bought all of his doubles in the past. And he's my source for daffodils, because they multiplied so fast (5 Mount Hoods became 30 in about three years.. And his peonies are VERY well priced.

And yes, Lovemyhouse! Grass simply represents another opportunity to extend the beds. I always said, look! No need to mow it!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Martagones are starting.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, thank you ge, I love martagons. I ordered some years ago from OHG, a trio in the red and in the white. They are very expensive, but Scott managed to sell out the white. So I got the others, and after waiting for the three years or so to settle in they bloomed for two years until my husband trampled them awhile doing a project. They never came back, so it's so nice to see yours.

Donna

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sorry about the loss.
So glad I live alone at times. I am the only boob who steps on things.
Its the 3rd year for mine. I also have Backhouse which made a nice showing last year.
This is the first year I have seen more than 1 stalk per bulb..

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Third year! They must love you!!! What production!!!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here a martagon seedling that is new to me.

Thumbnail by Moby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.