June RU Plant and White Elephant Swap

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Jean, sorry you can't make it. Hope there's something more fun in store for you that day. Maybe next time.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Sterhill, can I bring you some fresh cuttings of accuba, I have the gold dust and the other, looks like someone poured gold on leaves. I can cut them that morning, they easy to root in water.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

"looks like someone poured gold on leaves" I'd say yes to the cuttings of accuba - that sounds really, really pretty.

PLEASE everyone check my list and see if I show you as promised...

Also - I have some seedlings of Chaste Virtex http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1188/ that I am digging up today. We FINALLY had a good rain last night, although with quite a bit of spectacular lightening and a power outage - twice - but it is always good to see rain these days!

My tree is about 15 feet tall and full of blue flowers. I think these are beautiful.

Sterling

Dahlonega, GA

Laurel , you said you need pots . Mine are all smaller than the black qt . what do you want ?
Any one else ?

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I need BIG pots 5 gal or larger, if anybody has some they can spare.

I've been digging up my hydo-drangeas as the trees grab all the water first and only my container plants can keep their moisture. Yes, I mulch, and add amendments, etc... the tree roots are stronger than anything else and we are still in drought. I went on a garden walk yesterday and was so impressed to see this fellow had dug up all his hosta, and by placing the bigger ones in the back and the small ones in front, you could not tell they were all in pots! He even had some potted hydrangeas in the back of the hosta.

Dahlonega, GA

I wish I could help with the Big pots , but I don't have any . Sorry .

Dahlonega, GA

Wholly , what is that lime that Sandy has ? Will it have edible fruit , if so and it isn't spoken for , I'd like to have it for transport .Barss lime .

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Sterhill, I tought you would like to looke at it, so I took a nice picture of both of my accubas. I hope you like it.

Thumbnail by kiseta

Sally, I'd like the small ones to pot up veggie and herb seedlings in Winter. What size is that, three or four inch?

We've been out wrangling victuals for the RU today. You all should have location information within the next few days.
Laurel

Dahlonega, GA

I'll bring a selection and you can take your choice .

Thanks, Sally.

I think I just sent everyone the RU location and contact information. If I missed anyone or there are folks who still want to join us send me a DM.
Laurel

Lula, GA

One week!!!!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

What if it's raining, not that I want to be negative thinker?

I know it's been said repeatedly; we are so looking forward to everyone coming. A chance to meet and learn from fellow gardeners online is one thing but a chance to meet in person is such a bonus.

Etelka, whether or not it rains is beyond my control. On the other hand what to do with the three thousand piece puzzle on a 4'x4' piece of plywood in the middle of the living room has me seriously worried. :) Maypop cottage is super casual and designed to be part of the outdoors. There won't be a problem setting up for plants, food and friends.

Fairburn, GA

Wholyhosta, Hi Brenda, I appreciate you saving a Japanese Roof Iris for me, but much to my regret, I will not be able to make the RU this time. My son, Bruce, I think you met him at the RU in Florida, had to have back surgery and my husband and I went to Pensacola to be with him, so we could take him back and forth to the doctor and the hospital and get his medicine. Needless to say, getting my plants up at this time wasn't something I could give my full attention to, but I look forward to meeting all of you at a later time. Hope you all have a great day and maybe I can make the next one. Jean

Jean, you posted a few back that you were not able to come. It sounds like things have been hectic. Hope your son is recovering smoothly. I also hope that you are not staying home because you didn't have plants ready. We would love to have you regardless. Honest.

Fairburn, GA

MaypopLaurel. Thanks for the invite and I had planned to stop by and meet all of you, but my family had already made other plans. Thanks for asking about my son, he went back to work today. Jean

You are welcome, Jean and great news about your son's recovery.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

kiseta - thanks - both of those look really pretty...

Sorry - I've been AWOL for a few days... it is sure HOT here!

Any takers for the Chaste Virtex?

Sterling

Wondering where you went to, Sterling. Are you meaning Vitex agnus-castus (Chaste tree)? If so would you have two for me? I love these and have a big one at the edge of the garden but would covet a pair at the entrance to our drive.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

you got it - I will dig them tonight. They are about 6" tall but as you know, they grow pretty fast.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Anyone would like some chocolate chip ajuga, I have a bunch.????

Hmm, well okay on the chocolate chip ajuga, Kiseta. I'm having trouble saying no at this point. I have bronze ajuga if anyone wants to dig some.

Lula, GA

Hi. Digger yes the lime is a bards lime . There really sweat and sour lime more sweat. It dose great in doors and it's self polnating ,it fruit in winter in doors.

I found what I wanted to bring for a white elephant. See ever one tomorrow .

Checking in to see what's up. If any one else cancels SO and I will be on the new hot dog and hummus diet for a month. :>)

REMINDER***To those bringing a white elephant...please make sure it is wrapped or in a bag. The WEs will be numbered and we'll have a drawing at some point for gifts. No peeking!

REMINDER***Don't forget sunscreen, a hat and a camp chair if you have one. I have porch chairs, a few camp chairs and a garden swing. We could use some extra outdoor seating.

REMINDER***I am offline after sundown tonight (8:30 p.m.) and all day tomorrow. If you need me feel free to call (but not too early in the morning). If you don't reach me leave a message. I'll be checking often.

Dahlonega, GA

Going to be proud of that lime . I have lots of questions about how you and Mom came up with all that stuff that doesn't grow here .

Lula, GA

Linny
................. be sure and check in with me, I will be bringing a few extra plants that folks did not ask for. I never did dig the rudbeckias, since no one spoke up, but I have a few extra raspberry plants, epimediums, toadlilies, and small growing hostas. A Japanese Roof Iris, a pot of licoris/red spider lilies- that's all I can think of right now.

Manana en la manana, everyone!!!

(Linny) Salem, SC(Zone 7b)

thanks, wholyhosta. Since I'm a new gardener I don't have a lot to trade, but I have a very nice golden rain tree to put into the mix. I would never turn down anything Iris.

This is my first time. Be gentle with me.

Linny

Dahlonega, GA

Oh good grief Linny, your getting just like me and Brenda . What's laurel gonna do with three of us ?ROFLMAO .

BTW, I'm bringing a pot of ready to plant foxglove that I sprouted from seed but it has been too hot to plant. It's very nice. Looks like lettuce.

Hey digger, I've been up all nite so I'll be bringing a coupla' extra bags -- under my eyes. Sure did want some of that coconut cake.

Dahlonega, GA

Ohhh , we all had a good time and I ate too much . Laurel out did herself and all the dishes that were brought in were so many and so good , all I had was a spoonful of only about half of what was on the table . Of course I had to have a spoonful of each desert . Ohhh, .
Thanks laurel and Steve for a great R U and got to see old friends and meet some new ones . It was like a family reunion .

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have finnaly made it home, thank you Steve for great directions. I saved an hour going on RT 17. I drove today 340 ml. I still feel like I 'm driving.
I am very thankful to you Laurel for all the hard work you both did, and I am amazed how good the food tasted. Thank you for your giving heart, and to share with us you blessings. Happy recovery, and sorry I left you with my leftover books, maybe someone will have a garage sale and can use it. Thanks again. Etelka

To the rest of you ladies and gents. have a good summer and have a blooming garden.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you Laurel, and Steve, for a great RU. Your the best. Mike

We really enjoyed ourselves, Laurel and Steve. Your wonderful hospitality and fantastic food made it a great RU.

Love to all of you.

Linny and Bill

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Wonderful roundup Laurel and Steve! The food was great and the new plants are wonderful. Great seeing old friends and meeting new ones!

Brenda

That was fun! We got to meet new DG gardeners, their hubs, DILs and friends as well as have an opportunity to visit with gardeners we already knew. The weather was perfect too. Thank you everybody for all your help with the food, beverages and paper goods. I knew we wouldn't go hungry. For me it is like going to two RUs. When the day is over I get to really scope out my new plants and what has been left...my private RU.

We have rain moving in for the afternoon. It seems Mother Nature is looking after me. First a lovely day for the RU and now I've got until 2:00 p.m. to get plants in the ground. Better start digging holes. I'll check in later.

Oh, and if anyone has photos to load, maybe start a separate RU photo thread. This one is probably getting hard for some to load.
Laurel
P.S. Steve thought it was funny how many of you mentioned about our RU next year. lol

This message was edited Jun 26, 2011 8:44 AM

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I have to say the same as everybody else - what a great RU! Where are the pictures?

Lula, GA

Thanks, Laurel, and Steve, you two are great hosts. Sandy, Val and I had a really wonderful time, talking, sharing plants, and oh my, the food was divine!!!
Thanks, everyone, for the plants you shared, and new friendships formed. Got to catch up with old RU and DG buddies, too!

Laurel, sending you a dmail. I do have photos, just not sure what to load!!

~Brenda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.