June RU Plant and White Elephant Swap

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Okay, here's the place to post your plant and seed information when you are ready. Just wanting to keep this thread close to the RU one so people don't have to go hunting.

For those wanting to participate in a white elephant swap, just say so and it will be so. :) For those not knowing what a white elephant swap is...it is when you bring a wrapped "gift", in this case something garden or house plant related, to trade with someone else. It may be gently used or homemade, practical or fanciful or ugly ugly (in your opinion), it may be something from the garage or basement or attic. It can be a re-gifting. Gifts are then assigned numbers and numbers are drawn by participants. If you'd rather not participate that is totally fine.

I will have a white elephant to gift.

Lula, GA

TRADES:

9- Heritage Raspberry plants- limit 3 per trade/ two crops of smallish raspberries per year- delicious!
2- Japanese Roof Iris- lavender with orange "caterpillar"!
5- pots of Lycoris radiata- red spider lily, 6-10 bulbs per pot
2- rudbeckia- Black-eyed Susans
2- orange amaryllis seedlings are un-named but know the cross. Tender
2- Walking Iris starts/ Neomarica gracilis- tender
2-hosta Quilting Bee
2-hosta Emerald Tiara
1-Yellow Queen Iris/pond plant/medium yellow

WANTS:

Dahlia Tubers
Louisiana Iris
Double Daylilies

PROMISED TRADES:

MayPopLaurel/LAUREL- 1 pot lycoris, calanthe discolor, epimediums (2), pinellia
EFGeorgia1/ELAINE- Japanese Roof Iris, Quilting Bee hosta, Emerald Tiara hosta, MoonWaves hosta, Tambourine hosta, pinellia
Plantsmore/JEAN- Japanese Roof Iris
mqiq77/MIKE- large blue hosta seedling, LA Iris Cajun Sunrise, pinellia
sterhill/ STERLING- 3 Heritage rasp plants, red & blue epimediums, tricyrtis green & white, pinellia
Digger/SALLY- large blue hosta
PLANTNUTZ/Brenda- LA Iris Cajun Sunrise, tricyrtis, 1 mature brugmansia, epimedium not yellow
Bonnie- hosta, epimedium, white towers tricyrtis

REVEIVING FROM:

Digger/SALLY- Tuberose bulbs.
EFGeorgia/ELAINE- Chocolate mint, geranium, salvias (3), Night blooming Cereus, basil
Maypop/LAUREL- Easter lilies to dig, Thai basil, Bird of Paradise for Sandy
Sterhill/ STERLING- Chinese Indigo, alstroemeria Sweet Susan, Ryan daisy.
plantnutz/BRENDA- Black gamecock LA Iris

This message was edited Jun 5, 2011 6:35 PM

Lula, GA

I am adding 6 pots of 6-10 bulbs in each of Licoris/Red Spider Lily. I will be dividing some hostas soon, so stay tuned!!!

~Brenda

I will have...

Double flowered pink Rose of Sharon (to dig first come, first served)
Burros Tails (lots; http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2543/)
Variegated pepperomia (house plant)
Redbud tree seedlings (tiny but fast growing)
Greek oregano
Coreopsis rosea (two shares to dig from Ceder's gift a few years ago)
Lilium longiflorum/Easter lilies (to dig)
Gallium odorata/Sweet Woodruff (five digs from the garden)
Thai basil, Queen of Siam
Assorted vegetable and flower seed
Passiflora incarnata (five or six)
Kentucky Colonel mint (three to five shares)
Tomato suckers (water rooted); many heirloom and open pollinated named types of slicers, beefsteaks and cherry/grapes
Bronze ajuga
1 variegated 2' China berry tree.
Artimesia powis castle (several cuttings)
Garlic chives

Brenda: 1. Basil 'Queen of Siam' 2. Easter lilies 3. Burro's Tail 4. Coupla' Maters
Sterling: 1. Easter lilies 2. Tomato/es
Sandy: 1. One Bird Of Paradise (5'-6')
Plantnutz: 1. Burro's Tail

If someone makes a request and I fail to add it...please let me know.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2011 10:40 AM

Fairburn, GA

Brenda (Wholyhosta) please save me one Japanese Roof Iris- lavender with orange "catepillar"!
Thanks,Jean

This message was edited Apr 28, 2011 7:14 PM

Dahlonega, GA

I divided my one clump of tuber rose and have single and up to three bulbs in little pots . Also bulbs in pots of tulips . No trade necessary .Can give some bloodgood Jap maples in gal buckets for someone . . Put your name down for those and I can see if there are enough . Also Jap red maple . They won't get red for a few years .

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Brenda, saving you chocolate mint. I love it!..
would love a Japanese Roof Iris,

I have: Night Blooming Cereus 1 for Brenda
Henry Duelberg Salvia (several) for Brenda & Laurel and Brenda
Scabra Salvia (2 or 3,, maybe more by then) for Brenda & Laurel
Money Plant
Lemon Basil
Cosmos (yellow/orange) If they survive transplanting
Autumn Joy Sedum
Frosty Morn Stonecrop Sedum (few) 1 for Sandy
Indian Dunes geranium (2 or 3) for Brenda and Brenda
Snow Nymph Salvia 1 for Brenda
Yvonne's Salvia for Laurel and other salvias
Green Pepper basil for Brenda Wholly Hosta

I am so sorry to have to drop out. I totally forgot I had a wedding to go to. Daughter of next door neighbors.
I would be glad to mail any plants I have promised, just let me know.
Hopefully next year..

This message was edited Jun 2, 2011 8:58 PM

This message was edited Jun 2, 2011 9:01 PM

This message was edited Jun 2, 2011 9:16 PM

This message was edited Jun 5, 2011 6:42 PM

Lula, GA

ELAINE, thanks for the chocolate mint and it will be great to see you! Been awhile! Adding Japanese Roof Iris to your request list!

PLANTSMORE- Sure I will put your name on a Japanese Roof Iris, and looking forward to seeing you!

SALLY, can you put my name on one of the bloodgood Japanese maples? And I would like to give tuberose a try, if you can save me a pot of bulbs- you'll have to share your success a growing them with me!

Lula, GA

If anyone has an interest in named hostas, I am dividing a few. Dmail me with your interest or any choices of what you are looking for.

If anyone has an interest in named brugmansia, singles, double and triples, let me know your interest in a Dmail, so I can get cuttings started to root for you!

~Brenda

Dahlonega, GA

Wholy , I've never had the T R bloom but once . It probably just needed dividing . You'll have to ask someone that knows . I've got the Bloodgood set aside .

Lula, GA

Thanks, Sally.
So what is it with tuberose, and getting them to bloom?

~Brenda

I put a few things up on my swap space. LMK if there's anything there that interests you.
Laurel

Lula, GA

Adding a few more things to my trade list above!!

This message was edited May 3, 2011 4:18 PM

I would definitely want all the Calanthe you could spare. BTW, did you give me Epimediums way back when?

Lula, GA

Okey on the Calanthe, Laurel, and yes, I have lots of epimediums. I have been sharing for years. They multiply slowly but they do multiply! And this discolor calanthe multiplies nicely!

Is there any interest in Epiphyllums in this crowd?
I can probably share a few leaves.

Edited to change spelling.

This message was edited May 20, 2011 4:04 PM

Thank you so much! Did I get those at Becky's? Well, there was a sulpher and a red and a white. I planted them and then one of my dogs got into them and I had the three Epimediums all over the the place. I tried to salvage all. The sulfur and white survived and the sulfur bloomed for the first time this year. The red never came back. I love the plant form. It looks so delicate and is a perfect fit in the shady dry space under the bedroom overhang.

I am not an Epiphylum grower but they do have a sworn following. Aside from the veggie garden I am an avid orchid grower. You have a very cool plant list!

Lula, GA

Oh, yes, Laurel, I forgot to ask you, may I have one of your Easter lilies, and a start of your Siam Basil- love that stuff!!!

My son loves orchids, and has a few natives/hardy, a water orchid/ tender, don't remember the name, along with cymbidiums/not hardy! LOL! He is trying to get a calanthe sieboldii (???) from McMahans but has to wait til Fall. I mispelled the calanthe above on my trade list, it is calanthe discolor.

I have a nun orchid, waiting for it to bloom!

Brenda, we can certainly dig several Easter lilies. They are spreading too fast for my limited space.

Don't know what I was thinking when I put starts of basil. It resows like crazy each year so hopefully there will be plenty to dig. I'll put you down for both.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Sally, would love a Bloodgood Japanese Maple

Lula, GA

Laurel, my epimediums are all over the place. If I can identify the red one, I will bring you a start. I do have Orange Queen which is a fast multiplier. Do you want? That one is marked.

ELAINE- may I have one each of the two Salvias you are offering?

Adding a few hostas to my trade list.

~Brenda

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Digger please save me 2 bloodgood JM's.
I will have several of the peanut butter bush.They are ver much a butter fly magnant, as well as humming bird.
More later. Mike

I am going to dig some of the (dark) blue salvia, as weather permits, and will have maybe 5 pots, it spreads good.BF love it.

This message was edited Jun 2, 2011 2:56 PM

Dahlonega, GA

You got it Mike .

Brenda, I'd love any Epimediums you share. Thanks bunches. BTW, the Thai basil started peeking out today so there should be nice plants by RU time.

I'm adding Maypops (Passiflora incarnata) to my list above and I can sucker and root in water over twenty named varieties of heirloom and open pollinated tomatoes for mid-season planting. These would be available as bare root plants. LMK if anyone is interested. I'm also adding Kentucky Colonel mint (why is this word spelled with no "R" and two "O's"? I lose sleep over these kinds of things).

Sally gave me a Japanese maple that may be Bloodgood several years ago. Can't find the tag. I have it in a pot on the deck at Maypop. It's now about three feet tall and needs to go in the ground. If anyone wants it and Sally has something smaller, I'll trade you my biggie for a starter size.

Oh, and Elaine...I'd like any salvias. Please select for me.

Lula, GA

LAUREL-
you are down for 2 epimediums on my trade list!!!
**Good news on the Thai Basil. If you have two to share, that would be even better for me.

Do some of our other participants not showing lately know the trading has started?

MIKE,
I have a very large hosta for you if you want- it is a blue-ish, very large leaves, and is a seedling from either hosta Amos or hosta Empress Wu. It is 5 years old and still only 1-3 eyes. Beautiful plant. Let me know you interest in a dmail and I will dig for you. It is still in the seedling bed, and I have removed several giant ones, need to take one more out.

~Brenda

I will have many, many basils for you, Brenda. I'll remind folks about the trade list but think most mentioned they are not ready or able to commit.

Brenda, that would be a joy. I'm loving these larger leaf hostas. Mike

Lula, GA

Okey, MIke, I'll take up that hosta for you. It's had five years to prove it will grow in the South!!

Thanks on the basils, Laurel. I use them alot for cooking. I make a mean frittata~~~

Yes, we are still nearly 7 weeks out from the RU, aren't we, Laurel?
I stop digging and potting up my plants 2-3 weeks before a RU, to give the plants time to recover from transplanting, and to root in well. I get anxious to get all my trades dug!!! I learned long ago I don't do well with last minute, what for me, is "rushing".

Lula, GA

ELAINE- May I get one of your geranium starts, please?

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes, Brenda, saving a geranium for you.

Crossville, TN

Hi....Would you like this listed in the Round Ups at a Glance Thread? Jo

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

OK - I have:
Alstroemeria 'Sweet Laura' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51590/
Hardy Ageratum http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/625/ these self seed like crazy but they are so pretty and they are BLUE and bloom in the fall, easy to pull up what you don't want.
Orange Daylily - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/103094/ - I have millions of these - great for soil erosion
Chinese Indigo - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/98330/
Japanese Windflower - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/85648/
German Iris - I know I've uploaded a picture of this here but I can't find it - these are purple, several blooms per stalk, real soldiers, old fashioned. They were probably planted in 1970 when my house was built. Nice green color through the winter. Blooms early.
Shasta daisies - tons of these - variety Becky
Dendranthemum, Ryan's yellow - it is a big yellow daisy that sits quietly all summer making a mat about 8" tall and then in the fall, soars to about 3' or 4' tall, has wall-to-wall flowers and calls every creature with wings for miles around.

I am sure I have other things and will make a list today.

I would like:
wholyhosta's red epimedium or any epimedium - I just love them and raspberries too if you still have?
mike peanut's butter bush?
lilies - asiatic or oriental... I just love lilies, though I would guess unless it is potted it could not be traded in June...
ususual toad lilies - unusual color or leaf or flower formation - no Tricyrtis hirta 'Miyazaki' as I have quite a lot of those
anything unusual...

Trades To:
to wholyhosta (Brenda) - Chinese Indigo, alstroemeria Sweet Laura, Ukrainian Saber heirloom tomato, 2 Ryan mums
to MaypopLaurel (Laurel) - purple iris, Ukrainian Saber heirloom tomato
to plantnutzv (Brenda) - chinese indigo, Ryan's Yellow

Trades From:
from wholyhosta - 3 Heritage rasp plants, red & blue epimediums, tricyrtis green & white
from MaypopLaurel - Easter lilies, Mortgage Lifter Tomato/es
from mqiq77 (Mike) - peanutbutter bush

This message was edited Jun 1, 2011 7:38 AM

Thumbnail by sterhill

Jo, that would be fine.

Sterhill, may I have an Iris division, please? It's beautifuI don't see why we can't dig my lilies in June. Not the ones that have gotten tall, but there are lots of smaller ones spreading out from the bases. Also rabbits have helped trim a bunch of them. (like down to the ground) so those would be easy to dig too.

***Please excuse if "f's' are missing on my posts. My brand NEW computer is having issues with that letter. I have to mash it several times. Argh!

Lula, GA

Sterhill/ Ms Sterling-

Do you only want the red Epimedium- it is gonna be a guess, you could end up with the yellow. The red and yellow are next to each other and I may pick up som yellow with the red, or all yellow! I do have Orange Queen I will be digging for Laurel, can get one for you, and lalifee, a blue.

May I have a start of your Chinese Indigo and some of your Alstroemeria 'Sweet Laura'?

I have several tricyrtis/toadlilies, one with green and white leaves or the variety Gilt Edge. Would those do for you?

~Brenda

This message was edited May 9, 2011 5:40 AM

Jo is Roadrunner, Brenda. I was responding to the post about listing our gathering. Don't know Sterhill by another name.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Laurel - I am happy to bring you a boxful! any lilies happily accepted.
Brenda - I remember you from a long time back - the RU in 2007... have you down for Alstroemeria and a pot of Indigo - green and white leaf toad would be most welcome! I have white epimedium and some yellow (a really wonderful runner) but nothing in other colors. I really love these jewels!

My name is Sterling (I say Ms. Sterling so people don't think Mr.) and I guess I only recognize a few names still here... I've been off the board since Dave sold it and just now back.

Sterling

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Mike - Peanut Butter bush??? I love these! I got one from you in 2007 and would love to have another...

Sterling

Lula, GA

I just added requests to my trade list!

Thanks, Sterling, on the indigo and the astroemeria!!

Thanks, Elaine, for the geranium- interesting leaf.

Dahlonega, GA

Does anyone have a large leafed hosta ? If there's a little extra , I'd like a root .

OK Sterling ole boy,LOL The peanut butter bush I will have. The alstroemera I got from you are doing fine, and Yes, I remember you well.BTW, do you still have an english Ivy problem?If not, then you are the first to succed, "without being in your fathers busness".Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.