Clematis talk

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Philljm, that eagle is a beautiful piece of artwork. What an amazing statement for your yard. Lovemyhouse, you're going to love DOA. I have DOA and M. maylene going up downspouts. Just make sure you're not planning on painting the downspouts this year. I had to take my clematis down for the painters last year and that was no fun.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

That's a great eagle Phil!

Thomaston, CT

It is a beauty....the photos of the clems are wonderful, just can't wait for mine to bloom....all look good, & seem to be growing rapidly.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

lovemyhouse - regardless of the name, the flower is a beauty.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am looking for something like that.My cousin is here from Rockland Maine. Flew in and will drive back. I tried to load her up with plants but she wants garden art, something whirrling.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Cem, love that shot of your plant combos!

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

The plumber where I work does blacksmithing, and made that eagle for me. It was the largest sculpture he had done. It is rusting very nicely (it's steel) Perhaps someday I will sand & scrape & paint his head and tail white - I figure it's a juvenile right now, perhaps it will be an adult some day!

The eagle I have been told is my spirit guide - hence the reason I have one.

This great thing, is that this week, I am enlarging my garden around it, giving me LOTS of room for more flowers! ~ Jan

Great idea, Jan.

Thomaston, CT

Jo, you can make something for you cousin!

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Philljm, I agree with the others that you shouldn't cover that beautiful eagle.That is fine! If you look on Leevalley they sell one for downspouts which may give you some ideas. http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/page.aspx?c=&p=10442&cat=2,33286

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Oh, now that is cool - a downspout trellis..... Thanks for posting that link!

Now, what do folks think are some of the best places to order clems from? I have been checking the marketplace, but I would like some 'personal' opinions.

And I still like group 3's the best - at least for now until I feel more comfortable with them, gotta make sure my single continues to thrive first - since I almost killed it last year! One of the websites I was on last night didn't even have them identified by group. ~j

I would recommend Brushwood:
http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/large-flowered-clematis-3/?zenid=ac177d35f90150f1e1827e3cf1dd3ca3

Click on each one to get more information as to size, class, etc.

Good plants, very good sizes, excellent communication with owner, Dan, and fair prices. Two of the six I received from him have already bloomed and another has buds.

I agree with Pirl and would add Silver Star Vinery and Klehm's. I've heard good things about Joy Creek, but I've never ordered from them.

(Debra) Garland, TX

bananna, thank you for the link. Those look fun. :-)

Bought mine from four different vendors over the last three years. Out of 13 total clems purchased, all are about equal for quality. Will check out Brushwood if I get 'bit' by the gotta-get-more bug again.

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

I don't know how to narrow my choices! Oh my, great links, thanks ~j

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

We set out to look for garden art and it rained too hard so we went to lunch.

Jan - you can always just look at photos and information right here at DG:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=clematis&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

The photos are by past or current DG people so I consider them more trustworthy than many sites.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

And with this PF link, you can search alphabetically.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/finder/index.php?sname=Clematis

Thanks, Sue. I always wondered how to get them in order!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

One day I wrote down a firtilezer recipe, I wonder if it is correct, or I just read it someplace outside of DG
1 beer
1 cup epsom salt
1/2 cup amonia
2 cups of water

mix it up and use 1 oz per one galon of water, but how often in a month ?????
Hi everybody, happy gardening to you. I have so many flowers ready to go in the ground, today I will do them all. Looks like it will rain this week, so it will be good.

Sorry, but I can't help you since I've never used that. I do use manure, compost, Epsom salt, sometimes 5-10-5 (if I have it) and always my chunk of new cement.

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

Just received my Silver Star Vinery order, OMG!!!! HUGE!!!!!! Will snap pics tomorrow before I plant!

Great! We love hearing good reviews. Which ones did you buy?

Aren't her root balls humongous!!?? I have a funny story....I went to HD on a lunch break one day and bought 3 clems at a very low price. The kind that are in a bag. When I got home from work the delivery from Silver Star had arrived, Guess which one is which lol

Thumbnail by venu209
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My Joy Creek order came . 4 clems. They look OK ,But I'm not overwhelmed.
The Komurasaki is soo tiny I cant believe they shipped it.
The others look pretty good.
Caroline

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Dawn

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Jan Lindemark

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Kouramasaki
Maybe this is a late emerger but I think 3 dollars more for a plant than Brushwoods is a bit steep considering its condition.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The group

Thumbnail by ge1836

Please do not accept that Komurasaki. Call Joy Creek, 1-503-543-7474, speak to Ramona and tell her you can send a photo of the 2" tall plant. It's just wrong! I had to call them about one plant they sent that I didn't order and Ramona was very sweet and said they'd send me the right one next week.

Just tell them it is not acceptable!

To my way of thinking, it's a terrific reason to allow them to bloom inside so we can be sure we have the right plant. I doubt any company would take our complaint to heart if we wait for a bloom that might not come for two years.

Athens, PA

JoAnn

I was going to say the same thing. I would definitely call them. I cannot remember whom I have spoken with when I have called Joy Creek, but they were wonderful....

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I think Ramona answers calls and takes orders.
Connie is the one who handles problems. ALWAYS very nice.
Its 5 AM in Oregon so I will call later today. Cousin visiting since Sunday. When I get her on her way home I'll go back to garden stuff that is pileing up as we speak.

Ramona answered my call and said she'd tell Connie to send me the plant I ordered. It seems they are all nice people.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

This is Miss Bateman on chicken wire around a tree

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Pink Champagne Kakio

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

How old are those plants?

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

This is Claire de lune climbing over an evergreen

Thumbnail by shihtzumom

Gorgeous plants, Kathy.

New thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1178344/

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

No planting today, to cold, frost warning tonight, so holding off!

Dayton, OH

Pirl, like your "Still Water's", Well really I like all of your Clematis's. Like your Gate also Pirl. Where do find thing's like that?

Everyone has a lot of beautiful Clematis's and I like everyone's trellis's or whatever they use.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.