Clematis talk

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Marilyn, you got me to look up Ibi and on Clematis on the Web it appears light blue though it says it's light pink. How I wish there was one 100% accurate source for photos. Your pillar should look so beautiful.

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=1404

http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/large-flowered-clematis-3/clematis-ibi-446.html

Annette - what a nice combination that will be on each column to the gate. I'm already anxious to see how it will look.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I got Ibi too. I thought it was white, guess I'll have to wait to find out the true color.

Brushwood's description does say:

Hints of pink can be seen in the tepals depending on growing conditions.

I'd love to know the conditions that make it pink as opposed to white. I've read that it is not pH. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/clematis/msg0600472831266.html?2

Maybe it is cool vs. heat as one person on the above link mentioned.

But, if it is climate related then look at this collage. On the top left is Pinky as it appeared on the now defunct site. Then Louise's is at the top right. At bottom is my own. Louise's climate and mine are nearly identical and we got these clematises from the same company the same week. It's very confusing to me.

Thumbnail by pirl
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's Crystal Fountain with more open blooms. This is the 2nd spring for this vine.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's Fireworks with more blooms, and Peony Baroness Schroeder, I hope I get to seem them bloom together.

This message was edited Apr 18, 2011 11:44 PM

This message was edited Apr 18, 2011 11:47 PM

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm clearly delirious, LOL, here's the picture.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

The Duchess of Albany has lost her mind. She's full of tons of blooms.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's a closer view of her blooms.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Today for m. Maylene it was the taming of the shrew. LOL. This plant has already taken off tangling itself in anything it can get a hold onto. I'm training it to grow up the drain as I did last year.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem, your clems look very healthy and happy. When Duchess of Albany's buds burst it will be spectacular. ( I was going to shorten the name to DOA but thought better of it ^_^) Please put up a pic when she's in her glory!

Arlene, that is a very interesting collage. To add to the confusion, I have 2 Pinkys. 1 blooms the bright pink, the other a soft pink like yours. I would estimate the amount of sunlight each receives is about the same.

Annette - hard to know where to begin with the compliments!

Your Crystal Fountain is so lush! The flower itself is gorgeous.

Fireworks and the Baroness are lovely. Being delirious is part of the clematis fever.

Your Duchess of Albany is drop dead beautiful (love the DOA, Louise).

The monster Maylene does need taming as the montana family does. I'll love watching as you tame her.

Love your home, all the iron railings, the outdoor relaxing area (do we ever relax enough) - everything is absolutely lovely!

Louise - On another side of the house I planted two more Pinky clematis (never know if I should call them Pinkies) and I'm curious to see their color/colors.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I asked hubby to put up the 2 new trellis he got for me. Now each one has 2 legs and they were going side by side to make one big one. Now you would have thought he would have cut off the 2 middle, No, he almost broke off all the clem shoving those 2 legs in the ground. I went out and saw this ,my eyes went wide open. I got his saw and cut off those 2 legs and fixed the clem, with hope that he did not damage the vine.
They try so hard to help...lol

Thomaston, CT

I'm really impressed with those clems, Cem....and the Pinky clems look like totally different plants. I'm hoping Ibi stays pure white for me. I have a trellis with a deep red rose where it would look awesome. Here's Red Rambler from last summer....

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice color of rose.. I hope mine has blooms that nice this year.

Funny story, Marie. In the end they are just men.

Beautiful rose, Marilyn. Even if the clematis has a slight touch of pink it will look wonderful with the rose.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

DOA, tooooo funny LOL. Thanks for the comments. I'll post pictures as they bloom. My clems are the best they've ever looked, thanks to YOU ALL for the great suggestions that were made about clematis care. DOA, m. Mayleen and Crystal Fountain are all less than 2 years old. They went from sleeping to leaping and skipped the creeping, LOL. This weird weather also has the plants blooming earlier than they did last year.

Thomaston, CT

Your lucky, Cem.....a very late spring here....clems leaves are just showing, no buds yet.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Here, too. Mine are just beginning to leaf out this week. Loving all the pictures, though!

Mine are in different stages, although none are anyway near the size of our southern neighbors. But I did have a struggle with Ivan Olsson. He started up and then receded. Repeat, repeat, like shampoo instructions. I had a feeling that something was nibbling at him, so I cut down a water bottle and made a topless cloche for him. Finally his leaves are coming up and staying up. I have a few others that have been a bit slow or have become a bunny's favorite fodder, more bottles to be cut down. Bunnies are cute, but stay away from the clems!

Thomaston, CT

That's one pest I don't have to worry about, but squirrels are very destructive, too.....

Dumb bunny tried making a nest in my favorite garden. What a mess but I cleaned it up fast enough. A neighbor said she saw the bunny and little ones way in the back of her property so I'm glad they're not here - cute but no thanks at clem time...or lily time.

I like those shampoo instructions, Louise.

Squirrels can be a pain, Marilyn, and for all the hot peppers I've ever used it never kept them away.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Just back from vacation. I see I have missed some fun here!
Found this package of 3 obelisks at Costco.

Thumbnail by bananna18
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

for $44

Thumbnail by bananna18
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Was greeted with Princess Diana

Thumbnail by bananna18
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Margaret Hunt wins the bloom # contest

Thumbnail by bananna18
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

They better have that in our Costco or I'm moving to TX, LOL. My Princess Dianna went to clematis heavien :O(. It never grew. I should poke around to see if I find the roots. Your PD blooms are pretty bananna18.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

oops, just turn your head for Margaret!
Dr Ruppel #2 for blooms

Thumbnail by bananna18
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

They didn't have many...just about 8 boxes. Good luck!
PD is on a tomato cage, so that obelisk will be a nice compliment.

Thomaston, CT

How long do the clems bloom for you in Texas, bananna?

They're all beautiful! Love that Princess Diana. I hope mine blooms this year.

Great Costco buy!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I can tell you my first waves of blooms on Nelly Moser and Belle of Woking are spent and the heavy rain helped cleared out their petals. I trimmed their seedpods off in hope they'll give me another wave of bloom soon in the near future. Different varieties of clems. will bloom in succession for a while longer. My Jackmanii are just now getting ready...a few pre-cursor blooms, but their peak is reserved for later in the season.

Thomaston, CT

Thanks.....I was wondering if the intense heat stopped them from blooming in the summer.....

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I am trying to remember last summer. It seemed that they did stop blooming in July and August but returned in the fall.

Most of mine take a break in the high heat of summer. I usually use that time to give them a soft pruning and they reward me with a nice autumn display. Rebecca in September

Thumbnail by venu209

Wow! That's a beauty, Louise.

Athens, PA

Louise

Which one is that? It's beautiful and I just love the color.

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

I think that Rebecca is beautiful. what group does it belong in? It's the shade of red I was looking for. ~j

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes, that shade of red is stunning!

Thomaston, CT

Thanks, Weeze, for the summer pruning tip....never would have done that....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.