Clematis talk

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Annette- my Barbara Harrington is coming back - and I thought it was a gonner for sure, so cross your fingers ~jan

Athens, PA

I had to google blister bug too. I think I would rather have bunnies. At least they are cute!

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I moved my Jackmanni this year, and I am going to try and train it with ties to go up a trellis. The blooms got lost last year since it did not go up and those blooms are too pretty to not see.

Thomaston, CT

Happy that the clems are coming back.....mine seem to be growing by leaps & bounds right now!

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

My clems are all in pots still, my first ever bloom of 'Duchess of Edinburgh' :-)

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Athens, PA

Sue - that is gorgeous. It reminds me of a rose

Thomaston, CT

Very pretty! I only have one double......last year was the year I planted it, & it did manage one bloom before frost.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Beautiful, Sue! I doubt mine ever looked that good.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Beautiful Sue! I moved mine last year, hoping for some blooms this year.

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

Sue, beautiful!

(Debra) Garland, TX

Clematis Florida Sieboldii

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Oh my that is pretty! ~j

Beautiful. Mine is potted and now in the compost pile. Someone said that once they threw their "dead" clematis in their compost, it grew. So I'm giving it a try with two I have. You can barely see the pot on the right and there's one on the left as well.

Thumbnail by pirl
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh my that one is so pretty. It might make to my want list now..lol

From what I've heard it thrives in heat but doesn't do well in the north. I'm on my third one in 20 years and have had a total of two flowers.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

I so wish I could grow Sieboldii in my zone, but from all reports I've heard, it just doesn't fare well here. That would be my first pick for a new clematis, if I were able to grow it here. So beautiful!

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Sieboldii does real well for me, bloomed off and on most of the winter at my Mom's in it's 5 gal. pot.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Lovely 'Duchess of Edinburgh'. Good to see it is a reliable double in the heat. Also love that Sieboldii . I ordered one in the co op last year and gave it to a friend. Wow! I think I have to have it now too!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have a question about an emerging plant
CLEM-OR-NO
Sorry about the focus,we are having 35mph winds today.

Thumbnail by ge1836

I'd think so. Here's new growth on Pink Flamingo (from Koi 2009) last year:

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Loved that Sieboldii, but thanks for the heads up about it not liking the north....that foliage looks like a clem to me, Jo....

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm just back from the dentist and your news is music to my ears.
PLUS for once I dont need an implant anywhere.

Glad I could help you.

Hurray!

Thomaston, CT

Good news!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I just had to share this picture of Duchess of Albany (DOA) and peony Bowl of Beauty. I didn't even think about the pink combination, and how these plants would compliment each other. DOA is blooming much earlier this year than it did last year during it's first season of growth. Also the hummingbirds are here, and don't usally show up here till June or July, and seems really attracted to DOA.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What a beautiful combination.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Ditto. Really nice combo Cem!

Beautiful combo.

Athens, PA

love the combo!

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I love serendipitous blooms. It happens to me every once in a while. Bravo!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the nice comments. My son calls this blooms on steroids, LOL.

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Well my itsy bitsy little clem, is still alive, and doing fine. I gave it some fertilizer last week, but our temps are still pretty cold and below normal, so it hasn't done much. Hopefully soon, it will be large enough to be seen in a photo!

In the meantime, although I never thought of sticking a clem anywhere but onto that unsightly TV antenna tower that I have, I am now thinking of other spots. My yard light post, the post my eagle sits on, the old volleyball net posts cemented into my yard (would have to start away from the post) the swingset.....

The picture is my metal eagle sculpture in my front yard

Thumbnail by philljm
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I dont know if I obcessed about my multiblue on this thread or not.
The good news is,with 2 days and nights in the 70's the clem shot up.

Cem - I think so, too!

Phil - patience is needed, then come the rewards. I can say it but not practice it. I have two that are an inch tall.

Good going, Jo Ann!

(Debra) Garland, TX

like that sculpture.

just got a 4" pot duchess of albany, thanks cem for the photo. Now I know how big it gets, I may have to rethink where it is currently planted.

does anyone have a franziska maria? i put one in last fall and it is the only one of five clems not climbing all over. its not even showing any green. wondered if it is really late or it didn't survive.

Yes, I bought FM last year and it's not growing as fast as others but doing fine for a first year plant even better than another one from last year. I'll take a photo later.

Phil - sorry, meant to compliment you on the sculpture, too! Keep thinking of new places for clem's, like downspouts, fences (or pieces of fencing), poles, shrubs, garden art (but not the eagle!).

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Nope,. don't want to cover that eagle! Hadn't thought of downspouts... hmmmm... ~j

(Debra) Garland, TX

Silmakivi, third year. The color is close, but have never been able to capture it truly regardless of camera. Guess it likes to be coy. :-) Tied three double-strands of fishing line to a horizontal bar in the ground and around the metal frame of the porch cover above. Not a huge grower, here, so it's been enough support to now.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Athens, PA

Debra -

I thought Silmikivi was supposed to have more white. Does yours have more white? I know pictures can be deceiving. I purchased what I thought was to be Silmikivi (sp?) and I got Minister.

My clems have shot up in the last couple of days. I have been pinching back some of the new growth between the nodes in the new growth. I am trying to encourage more branching. More branching will give me more side shoots, which should give me more flowers...

(Debra) Garland, TX

Carolyn, the petals are white on the back and haven't seen any other Silmakivis to compare, but it could have been mislabeled and is something else. :-)

Debra

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.