What's Looking Good in Your Yard/Garden?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Iris Yosemite Star

Thumbnail by judyb
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Iris Golden Ecstacy

Thumbnail by judyb
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Iris Penny Lane

Thumbnail by judyb
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Iris Alizes

Thumbnail by judyb
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

A favorite combination: Berlandieria (chocolate flower) with Lobelia laxiflora and a pink salvia

Thumbnail by judyb
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

A sunny corner.

Thumbnail by judyb
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Gorgeous, Judy! Your photograph of "Iris Alizes" is stunning!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I love the irises Judy! I just ordered my first iris called batik. I hope it will live to bloom. Do you water yours a lot in the summer?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks Brenda, I was a bit surprised myself to see how nice the pic was. :-)

Nancy, thank you. I used to have Batik but it got lost in the shuffle as I've moved stuff around over the years. It's a very pretty iris. I don't water a lot during the summer. I figure they're going to look less than wonderful anyway so I just water enough to keep them going. They aren't heavy users under those circumstances.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yep, Irises don't need a lot of water even in the summer. I have read also on the Iris Forum and other sites that excessive water in hot summer months can lead to rot.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

That is a good shot Judy, did you point a flashlight at the flower?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Nah Mary. There was bright sunlight this morning and the lens looked into a shady area. It was just a fluke.

Phoenix, AZ

cape honeysuckle survived frost, started blooming.

Thumbnail by az_garden
Phoenix, AZ

grape vine has tiny grapes for first time...been 5 years since i had the vine. every year skeletonizers beat up the vine.

Thumbnail by az_garden
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

That cape honeysuckle looks really good against that wall.

I share your pain about the grapes. I finally just gave up. :-(

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

judyb - love your Lobelia! For some reason, I cannot keep them alive....

az_garden - you lucked out, my really nice honeysuckle that survived the 2007 freeze couldn't survive this one and was toast. Really sad. I have one other that survived well, but that is because it is mostly in the shade (thus stays warmer with the vegetation around it in the winter), and shaded it just doesn't do a lot of blooming for me...

Man, when will we be able to get over our 2011 losses.... = (

Phoenix, AZ

2 of my honey suckles got frost beat to the ground, they are slowly growing back. One survived with no frost damage at all and it was few feet away from the ones that were beatup...maybe this one was not in the way of the cold winds.
I lost a 10 foot orange bells which served as privacy screen and hummer hangout, might take few years for that one to grow back.
Hang in there water/feed frost beat plants will grow back.
Yosemite iris pic looks nice.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

My Cape Honeysuckles didn't skip a beat even on the north side of the house. They survived the BF back in '07 with some damage. Guess they are more established, though a couple of the really cold nights I ran the hose on them on a trickle. Not sure if it made a difference as the one by itself on the other side of the patio got no trickle and it was fine as well. I love them as they are hummer magnets and bloom pretty much all year for me.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

That cape honeysuckle is beautiful!!!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Water lily Mayla

Thumbnail by judyb
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Spuria iris Sonoran Caballero

Thumbnail by judyb
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Iris Feature Attraction

Thumbnail by judyb
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Iris Breakers

Thumbnail by judyb
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Iris Bride's Halo

Thumbnail by judyb
Phoenix, AZ

i like pomogranate flowers and their glossy green leaves

Thumbnail by az_garden
Phoenix, AZ

Got these petunias form spring swap last year...they are awesome, have many of these propagated from cuttings, they survived heat and frost.

Thumbnail by az_garden
Phoenix, AZ

marigolds

Thumbnail by az_garden
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Nice, az_garden! Judy, love the color of that water lily!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I love the irises especially the Feature Attraction. I love the orange pomegranate too!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I was at the nursery on Monday. Many round floral baskets out together with very unusual marigolds. I dead headed the pots for them. Sharon.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

Rubus Black Satin Blackberry

Thumbnail by Mindyrecycles
Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

Tomato either Early Girl or Solar Fire. Both are doing well but can't tell which is which here!

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

Here's the other one.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Skipped a couple days without anything new blooming in my yard, but today's Astrophytum myriostigma started the ball rolling again! (much later than last year)

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Tristan, my Astrophytum myriostigma is in a pot in half day shade and has not bloomed. What exposure is yours in?

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Mine is planted in a semi-hidden part of my front yard (only viewable when you walk up to my door) that I like to call my Secret Garden. ; )
You can see in the pic from last year right after I finished putting these in, it is at the junction of North and East facing walls. There is a large Cascalote tree that provides filtered shade for most of the morning; then, it gets full sun for a few hours (only in the late spring through early fall...otherwise, the angle of the sun makes it in the shade all day long), then gets shade from the east-facing wall from about 4pm or so on.
It probably would do better with a bit more time in the sun, but so far, it seems sufficiently happy!

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Nice artistry - - - with the pebbles, that neat stone, the sand in the corner ..... and all.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

These are some sort of furry plant - not sure the proper name;o)

Thumbnail by locakelly
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

A bud on a Brug... I'm not too sure how I haven't killed these things! Now to wait for it to bloom to see if it is actually a named one (Isabella) or a NOID. Tags got lost when I transplanted them to 15 gal pots. I haven't put them in the ground as I really don't have shade for them. These are east side of house which is unfortunately all concrete - grrr. Working on getting rid of that;o)

Thumbnail by locakelly
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

My first Glad is finally bloomimg - geez, it's almost May for crying out loud - lol. It's a beautiful swirled color - love it! Not a great picture as of course it is leaning and I had to try and angle it (or myself) to get a proper shot.

Thumbnail by locakelly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.