What's Looking Good in Your Yard/Garden?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Those reds are so awesome. And that ugly cactus (sorry. It is ugly though) puts out an incredible white flower, I need more cactus. Here is my lady fingers bloom. You can see the stalks look discolored so I thought it was a goner. What does it need to recover? More sun? Less water? More water? Fertilizer?

Thumbnail by MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Judy, I just scrolled up through this thread and see that I missed your new tomato growing urn and the cactus flowers. Nice job on both. You'll be muching those Sweet 100's soon come.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hollyhock bloom

Thumbnail by Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Spuria iris

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Julia rose

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Clematis

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Love, love, love that clematis Marie. I lost two of mine when I pulled out that overgrown choc bean vine. Have one left in another area, it's growing gang busters but no blooms yet. Ditto on my hollyhocks.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

My clematis are really popping this year.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Lovely flowers, Marie.

Mary, I'm glad you like my rendition of your inspiration piece. :-) I thought maybe you were being kind and just not mentioning it. I'm really looking forward to the tomatoes and am enjoying looking at it until.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow, Marie, some gorgeous flowahs there! That hollyhock is stunning!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

You know I ♥ that Spuria already Marie;o)
The Clems are even more gorgeous in person! I really think she has them in every color under the rainbow!!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I love the clems but they really look bad in the summer. This is the first year that I have had such a spectacular show. Most of them are 3-5 years old now

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow, Marie - that Spuria is especially attractive! Lots of nice colors!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Probably their age or that nice cold winter we had;o)

Sneaking out of work a bit early - Happy Easter everyone!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Marie.

I just love that hollyhock. Please, please, please , save me some seeds.
Were you able to find the name of my favorite clem ? How about the layering ? Did it work ?

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hello all,

I remember some of you from the AZ Gardening board back in the day! Nice to "see" you...your gardens are looking great.

Thumbnail by Mindyrecycles
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Nice eye candy Mindy and welcome to Dave's Garden. Do you/did you have a different screen name at GardenWeb?

This shot is not *technically* my garden but is the view currently from my kitchen window. I love both the palo verde that's blooming now and the ocotillo cactus.

Thumbnail by MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Nice picture that your kitchen window frames, McP. Palo verdes are in my group of faves, as are ocotillos. The desert is profligate with its blooming.

Phoenix, AZ

someone gave me bulb of this orange flowers at last fall swap.

Thumbnail by az_garden
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yep Judy, my neighbors landscaping schemes suit me!

Jay, gladiola - nice arrangement.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Love that color of glad!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi Mindy - welcome to Dave's!

McP - love your view. My neighbor has a PV that hangs over the wall into my backyard. I love the blooms and shade but the messy flower drop not so much - lol.

Jay, your Glad is a very pretty color! I noticed this am I have one about to bloom - looks like it's gonna be red/scarlett! I think they are behind? Shouldn't they have bloomed by now?

The pretty pink Delph is still blooming and looks to be making seed pods. If I can save them I'll let you know in case anyone wants some seeds. Here she is again so you don't have to go looking for her photo.

Looks to be a decent day - I see weeds calling my name as well as sevreal places in my yard that the blasted snail vine rooted - lol. I'm gonna try and dig them up and relocate them and may have some up for grabs if anyone is interested...

Thumbnail by locakelly
Phoenix, AZ

thanks for identifying the glad...i dont know much about bulbs. My glad had frost damage the few leaves were completely gone and it had to grow again from the ground so that explains why they bloomed late. the delphs look great. marie thats an awesome hollyhock, liked the dark violet clematis.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Mary,

I had to look me up because I couldn't remember! I was MindyJ. Here's an oldie "Tucson roll call" post:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/azgard/msg0810084414831.html

Mindy -- weeding and putting up a raised bed today

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

One of two new flowers opened today in my garden. First, Leuchtenbergia princeps.
Whole plant.

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Leuchtenbergia princeps - Flower close-up

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

First ever flowers from Echinocereus scheeri var. obscuriensis - whole plant:

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

First ever flowers from Echinocereus scheeri var. obscuriensis -flower close-up...really love the orange color of this bloom!

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

You have some colorful bloomers. :-)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow, all these cactus blooms are astounding! Love that red/orange Echinocereus.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have a couple of Lobivia blooming now.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Tristan, I love your Leuchtenbergia princeps. I have one that is tiny compared to yours. Is yours planted in full sun?

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Closeup of the dark red one.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

My pretty Mexican olive flower.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Quote from NancySLAZ :
Tristan, I love your Leuchtenbergia princeps. I have one that is tiny compared to yours. Is yours planted in full sun?

Thanks, Nancy!
Mine gets full sun until about 3pm or so this time of year. I wish the blooms lasted longer! But, there always seems to be another on the way.
I really love this cactus...and mine isn't very big...and it's bloomed for several years from when it was probably half the size it is currently.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Nancy - those Lobivia are gorgeous - do you have any in-ground? I've been tempted to try some in-ground in the valley...saw some really nice ones I was tempted to grab at the DBG this week.

This message was edited Apr 24, 2011 5:59 PM

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Something new blooming every day...today, another species of hedgehog cactus (one of my favorite groups): Echinocereus longisetus ssp. delaetii (first bloom for me...and one of the few species I don't have in the ground!).

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I don't have any cacti in-ground at all. I keep them in pots because I can move them as needed. However, I think they would probably do better in general in the ground. I also have dogs and I worry they will get into spines if I plant in the ground. My one Yorkie mix is a crazy bird chaser and doesn't look where she is going!
Thanks for the info on L. princeps. I've been thinking mine could use some more sun and I need to pot it up too.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

The parade continues! A new bloomer for me today: Thelocactus hastifer
Close-up of the 2 crowded flowers:

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

And, the whole plant:

Thumbnail by Minime8484

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.