What's Happening in your neck of the woods/chat with friends

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Walter Assef (May 31, 1913 – January 14, 1988) was a Canadian politician, and former Vaudevillian,[1] who served as mayor of the city of Thunder Bay, Ontario. He was the first, and so far the only mayor, to have been elected for two discontinuous terms. He was first elected in 1973 and served until 1978. His second term began when he was re-elected in 1981 and lasted until 1985.

Walter Melund Assef was born May 31, 1913 at Sioux Lookout, Ontario to John Hunna Khaleefy Asseff, a native of Hasroun, Lebanon, and Maria Rosa Bintado (variant spelling, Mary Penteado), a native of Brazil. He died January 14, 1988.

He is famously known locally to have patted the behind of Queen Elizabeth II during her visit to Thunder Bay in 1973, although some sources believe it was merely a trick photo taken from an angle that appears to show something that was not real. However, he did officially introduce the Royal Couple to the city as "his Royal Highness and his lovely wife".

Liberace dined at the home of Walter Assef before performing at the Fort William Gardens on 30 September 1961.

OOPS .. 1973 .... was SURE it was the 60s sometime .. see that Betty ^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hmmm would have been in mid 50,s. IRS the strangest thing...been in bed all day..now watching snow white,,not cartoons. Lol. Am losing it!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I was a brownie leader when the Queen came to Winnipeg and to the Legislative Grounds. One of our troop gave the Queen a handful of handpicked flowers. Another time Prince Charles came down the Red River in a canoe to dedicate The Forks (a new park at the joining of the Red and Assinniboine Rivers - hence, The Forks). I was one of the canoeists at the beginning of the group that went down the Assinniboine, but I know no one was watching us - they were waiting for the Prince!. That must have been in the mid-80's cuz my daughter was 7 the first time, and I was a Guide Leader the 2nd time.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Neat susan, can't have those memories and it not have happened, did go somewhere as a group in a bus, wonder if I travelled somewhere...brownies ..would have had to be young,,

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I've seen the Queen a few times from a distance, living in Ottawa, but the best time was before DD and DSIL got married. He was in the Governor General's Foot Guards and they were presented with new colours at a ceremony at Rideau Hall. Conrad Black was there - as commander of the unit and it happened at a time when the Queen was in Ottawa - just before July 1 in either 1997 or 1998. DSIL's parents were out of town; so we were given Dave's tickets and at the reception afterwards on the patio of Rideau Hall, the Queen passed within about 3 feet of me.

When she was last here for Canada Day, we got close enough to see parts of the Landau through the crowd, but only my camera being held up high saw the Queen.

Je suis une FUDDY DUDDY LoL
Went to our NEW (almost re opened) SUPER Walmart today .. the grocery store is still under construction .. and the renos inside are continuing ... WOW .. what can I say .. I was getting heady from the scent of EASTER BUNNY CHOCOLATE LoL
Lasted 40 minutes and called it good ... bought 2 GORGEOUS (and healthy) geraniums .. smell wonderful ..

Election jabber is full tilt here. Stephen Harper is here for the evening, Layton later this week, and Ignatief (sp) on Sunday .. No BLOC reps though !!!!

Snow is slowly melting .. still kinda mushy in places though.

Off to watch Corrie :-)

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hoe exciting ViAnn, benefits for sure with living in Ottawa..if I remember correctly you are not far from Parliament Hill....would imagine it would have been in poor taste to snap a photo at the luncheon!!

"m" love our super Walmart, primarily because I'm an early riser so I can be in town and do one stop shopping and be home by 8pm..amazing to see how many are shopping that time of morning.

My sister. Sharon called awhile ago, mom had her knee replaced this morning, in pain, that is too be expected..on morphine drp so she'll be flying high shortly!

My vision was much better today but head still pounding so decided not to fight it and just enjoy the chesterfield

I'm glad to say that based on different weather fronts we have no mud..glad of that as it's much easier to keep floors clear of little paw prints

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Quote from Bettypauze :

My sister. Sharon called awhile ago, mom had her knee replaced this morning, in pain, that is too be expected..on morphine drp so she'll be flying high shortly!
My vision was much better today but head still pounding so decided not to fight it and just enjoy the chesterfield

hahahaha mom flying "high" eh? LOL
Yes, enjoy the chesterfield!! Glad your vision is better.......

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The view outside my front door this evening!

New construction across the street and todaythey have started the work to connect the water and sewer services.
Street is blocked off most of the week I guess.
Glad my back gate lake has disappered so I can park in the back!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

wow - what a mess, Carol - good thing you can use the back! Well, it will be quieter for traffic in the front street, and machinery noise instead.
One good thing - the noise stops at a certain time, but when you have traffic, it could be anytime.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol,
OPPORTUNITY!! a Really big one.
Men, shovels and power tools, what do you need moved that you can't lift or shove around???? Is there a rock or something you need to get rid off as there will be a big hole in the street that will need to be filled. When they did this on our street I had some clay that I had dug out for a bed and they let me put 4 wheel barrows down the hole and helped when I was stuck.
Anyway Royal stuff fun to watch and I'm glad I'm not one of them, living in a fishbowl.
We did have some sun here and our newest snow is slowly going away. Should have double digits by the end of the week.
Alberta Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No such luck Ann although maybe I could get them to shovel all the snow off the lawn? I have a big pile of leaves and twigs from the willow on the back patio ( raked off the lawn in periods when the snow has melted) - maybe they would take that? LOL- dont think so!

I'm chuckling re the road work/utilities installation across from you Carol.
Last year our country side road was paved .. later in the afternoon, I was outside, and 2 workers from the paving company came barreling up our driveway. 'HEY .. Missus .. you want it we do your driveway with leftover' .. I was so excited . LUCKILY I asked "how much" .. The fella looks up and down the driveway and hollers .. 'For you .. $5500.00"!
I was dumbfounded .. told them I;d think about it .. thay never came back !!!!

Just went out to feed the deer .. the songbirds are hard at it .. even the deers ears are twitching in overtime to catch all the tweets and twitters ^_^

Cupboard cleaning today . Ugggggggggg

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Enjoying working from home today, atmosphere is so much more conducive to mix crafts with office work! Lol

Just got the following email from Ann:

Hi......Sorry have just put the computer on.  Mike went into the hospital on Friday.  His oxygen was really low, heart rate really high, dehydrated etc.  He came back home around noon today then they came to deliver oxygen, i went to get his new meds, a hospital bed has been delivered and a nurse came to show me how to deliver morphine inhalations and other things he might need from the symptom kit that was also delivered. Melissa stayed and will go home sometime tomorrow.  I have to go to Barrie for the social worker tomorrow but if you are going to be home maybe I will pop in for a visit.  I had planned to do that both Sat and Sunday but with the hospital just never got around to it.  How are you feeling

Sure sounds like the end is near..when Ann asked him a few weeks ago if there was anything he would like to do, said he'd love to sit in his boat May 1st. Fishing. Opening...hope he makes it..would be nice to see his dream come true..

Yikes what a mess, I'd see if there was a good looking gent and charm him to do a few chores needing done. Lol

Hope you are all having a sunshine day

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi all
Sorry i haven't wrote in sometime, so much is going on.. I really have no time to read through these posts anymore.. Since my last post, we have gotten the ok from work and the paperwork is in the process, it should be in by mid may.. Once the paper work comes in Hubby is off to work in Alabama.. I will be moving there in july once the school year comes to an end. We will be renting out our house for july first, we wanted to sell but the market is to low and we'll loose money.. Now for the HUGE news, the us government wont let me go unless were married.. So in 11 days (april 30th) I will be the happiest woman on the earth when i get married to my amazing fiance, after 6.5 years together its finally gonna happen... We planned it all in 2 weeks about 5 weeks ago.. 178 people were invited and its going to be a great day.. Allison is getting bigger and bigger everyday, shes 8months now.. Not walking yet thank god.. life is good, sadly i wont be gardening much this year as i will leave in july just before all my hard work really start to get going, so i dont see much of a point.. When i get down there i dont want to start in the middle of the season either so i think i'm out for the year :(
Anyways happy gardening to you all, i'm off to my last dress fitting :)
jen

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Congratulations Jen. I hope all goes well for you both with the wedding and with the move.

Victoria Harbour, ON

What exciting news, just made mention of you the other day..wondered if you had already moved

Kudos to the USA government for making you both realize you belong together as man and wife!! Pooh know you will be so busy but wedding photo's please!

Had a visit from Ann this aft. I'm on a bit of a downer ...not many days left for Mike..so sad!

Mom doing ok after knee surgery but had to give her blood today..in goo

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Jen - congratulations!! Wow - wedding, move to a new country - such a lot to take in, eh?
Guess you won't be saying "eh" much longer, eh? LOL

Betty - so sorry to hear about Mike, and hope he gets to go sit in the boat on May 1. Surely doesn't sound like it though, with the hospital bed and morphine, etc..... likely won't be going anywhere, sorry to say......

Jen .. exciting times for you .. frantic as well I can imagine. I wish you all the very best.

Betty sorry to hear of the plight of your friend Ann .. has she been offered some respite care or just companionship for her and Mike from a Hospice group? That's what I do in the one I volunteer for here in TBay. Long term or short term.

Not much happeneing here .. supposed rain/flurries on the way for today ... trying to firm up dates re Lorna's parents visit and a trip for Gordon out west (Summerland) to see his younger brother who is having knee surgery April 21. Looking as though May is going to be a VERY busy month here ..

Off to feed the deer

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Half rain and half snow here today..it's cold out there!

Ann called the pallative care/hospice as Mike said he thought he was ready but they told Ann there is only 6 beds and all occupied at this time so Ann,unless she has to, wants to keep him home rather than a hospital bed

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Jen, Congratulations , no wonder you don't have time to do any on line things! Much happiness to you all and a smooth transition to a new neighborhood! I will look forward to seeing some posts as you are able with updates on Allison and your new home!
Alberta Ann

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi All
Hosta Alert.
Hosta Choice Gardens from Ontario is having a sale! Check out their website, they do have some mini's on sale and if you are hooked I am feeding your addiction!.
Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

I'll have to look them up Ann..made some hypertufa containers last year and really want some mini hosta's so off I go looking .. thanks for the head up!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I ordered mine ages ago. Dont think I should look for any more! Filling up my 'mouse' basket.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Love the praying hands..

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I'll have to check out Hosta Choice. But I haven't really thought what I'll add this year. Too busy figuring out what I'll divide and sell. Am going to have a sale and have started preparing a list. Will give a large share of the proceeds to my church renovations.

Betty - will keep Ann and Mike in my prayers. Good for you making the hypertufa containers. Something I've been going to do for awhile, but haven't.

Would you like me to start a new thread or would you like to do it? Getting so long it doesn't work well on my computer.

ViAnn

Victoria Harbour, ON

For my 1st ones Vi-Ann they turned out pretty well..going to see how well container gardening goes and might make more in the fall..

Yes, time to move us over...

Victoria Harbour, ON

New room everyone..

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1174689/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.