What's Happening in your neck of the woods/chat with friends

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

WHAT a day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think I might have mentioned that Piper's breeder in Sault St Marie had a stroke in January.
He will not be going home, and, his sister is left with the task of ALL the animals Don has .. Pheasants, Bunnies, ponies, Guinea Hens, Geese, chickens .. cats .. AND ... WESTIES !!!!
Seems she is 'giving away' the pups not sold from Piper's litter .. not sure how many or what sex ..
What a conundrum!!! I am awaiting a call from a woman handling calls for these dogs from TBay .. my biggest fear is that they will be psychologically scarred .. no one to play with them, train them .. they would be almost a year old ..
SIGH .. I gave up getting Kate in March as I thought a YOUNG pup would be too much work .. now .. here I am considering one older, but, with NO training ...
Doubt I'll sleep much tonight thinking about this ..

Looks as though the snow is making it's way to TBay .. best go out and cover up what needs to be ..

TTFN

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I recall working Metamucil into a cat's diet many moons ago. Hard to believe that it's been 7 years since I've had a cat.

Just got a message that there is now a musical "teaser" of my handbells on the church web site. You'll find a link at: http://www.emmanuelunited.ca/get_involved/adults.php

It is just a teaser as it contains clips from several different performances. Enjoy.

Vi-Ann ... I did listen, and was treated to beautiful music. Quite an accomplishment, the 'bells, sound awesome ^_^

Got up twice last night to see if the 'storm' had arrived .. it hadn't and hasn't .. so far .. the sunrise was absolutely glorious .. Fushcia and Salmon pink .. stored it away as a 'keeper memory'.
I have checked the radar weather on the computer, and the storm is creeping slowly towards us from the southwest .. I think it's going to be pretty messy.

Looks like perhaps this will be a housework day ..

TTFN

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Wow snow, snow,and more snow- apparently we got between 20-30 cms and more on the west(my) side of the city! This morning a neighbor cleared my front walk and the one with the snowblower did the parking pad and I did the smaller path ways. Also cleared the car which was quite a job - probably cant even drive it out from all the snow! Fortunately dont need to go anywhere!

7-8 garden friends should be here this afternoon. Menu: Goat cheese with cranberries, Boursin soft cheese with garlic and herbs, red pepper jelly and cream cheese and a crab spread. Biscuits and french bread. Also hot mini quiches,
Sweets: lemon loaf, butter tarts, strawberries. Coffee, cranberry /apple juice, white wine .

All things I will eat myself if there are leftovers. Will also take some to my two snow shovellers!

The sun is shining, guess the strom headed east and it is above 0 so I expect things will start melting.

As I type this .. the snow has started here in Thunder Bay .. and boy oh boy is it coming down .. right over Lake Superior.
DAWG, I'll have to cancel my plane ticket to Calgary to join in with Carol for her get together ^_^
The food sounds delish Carol .. yummy in fact .. enjoy ..

WOO HOO .. I just bought a PLANT LADDER on Kijiji !!! Have been looking and looking as my wooden one finally gave up the ghost (with Piper's help) .. was going to purchase one ON SALE at Home Hardware for $80.
My friend emailed me a Kijiji ad .. a nice Ikea metal one for $30. !! I called the fella and he dropped the price to $25.
Once I get my poor African Violets back into the Eastern Window, I'll take a pic .. they haven't bloomed since been moved UP out of direct sunlight.

Off to have my shower .. seems I have been multi tasking all day so far .. time to RELAX !!!!!!!!!!!!

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

snow, ugh! I fell in it yesterday, and I found out at clinic today that I sprained my knee....... siiiiiigh I'm on anti-inflammatory meds and using crutches. It will take some time to get used to them, but I will be at work tomorrow anyhow ^_^

OH my Susan .. sure hope the fix works .. usually does .. but .. BE CAREFUL with the crutches !!!
I think we have now rec'd about 10 to 15cm of heavy wet snow .. shoveling will be difficult .. thank heaven we kept the snowblowers out and tarped .. the snow is still falling and expected to turn to rain .. but .. SUN and double digit temps will be on the agenda for the end of the week.
Not sure whether I'll chance going into town for the plant ladder or not .. wait and see situation ..

Hope everyone has a super week !!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, while I was away you got terrible weather..was a sunshine weekend for me..raining heavily today, think they are calling for much the same all week..add high winds to that and makes for 'yuk' but it's not white so must enjoy it as will wash all the leftover snow and salt from the roads away.

"M" that's terrible getting so much bad news in just a few days..sending prayers for those in need and soft hugs for you!

Oh no Susan, how is you knee today? Able to get to work? Here we've had snow and ice all winter and you fall now that spring has sprung..

ViAnn off to check the link..

Waving to all others...no can gab, been fighting headaches since, hmmm can't ever remember since when so sitting here quietly might be just what I need..

will gab after!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

we had, according to Carol, 20 to 25 cm of snow, and it was the heavy wet stuff (like you'd want for snowballs and snowmen!). Great for playing in, but not for clearing and walking!

Victoria Harbour, ON

It will soon be over Susan, then we'll all be complaining about the heat NOT.. Condolences going to you and your family!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol how did your afternoon go? and Bailey is he doing better now?
Susan I get the knee thing! sorry you are on crutches and look after that knee as getting it strong after you injure it is important so you don't have to do what I did.

Betty, get that head fixed!
Alberta Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ann we had a pleasant afternoon although one attendee almost got stuck in the snowy ruts!

Bailey is doing well, mouth looks nicely healed but butt stitches still bother him- he tends to walk very quickly with tail and butt slightly lowered ( imagine a human walking while holding butt cheeks tightly together!) and then suddenly sits! But his bowels are working OK. Will start to shift to dry food and decrease the pumpkin and broth.

Susan hope the knee is better soon.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Edm Ann - you mean knee surgery?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ha Ha!!! Almost stuck....I was stuck. The snow melted enough by the time I left that I was able to get out without shoveling

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol, good description, I can see Bailey doing just what you described. I can't even imagine having stitches there.....I'd be walking funny too.
Oh it was JoannaB who almost got stuck, I thought a truck was the usual mode of transport! Good job you had some good company while you waited for the snow to melt.
Susan, yep, I meant surgery, hope yours is an easier fix.
Alberta Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh geeze Carol - sorry - didn't see your post.
LOL picturing Bailey walking that way lol I can imagine that the stitches are fretful and itchy - maybe that's why he walks so funny lol

AB Ann - of course my knee is Nothing compared to what you went through (for much longer, too!)
Almost feel embarrassed mentioning my knee when others have had so much worse!!
My aunt Ethel f'instance broke her arm, and my aunt Jean passed away on Saturday so her family is really suffering. They had to make the decision to let her "go" and that must have been difficult, to say the least. Not to mention my mom who has had yet another sister she's lost.....

Yup - my knee will be, at most a 2 week heal, and that's nothing

Lots happening, condolences to those who has lost familt members, and best wishes to to all of us with aches and pains and boo boos either in and of ourselves, or, with our furry friends ..

Made it through the snowstorm yesterday ... snow is melting now, messy fer sure ..

Off to brekkie and then to have INCOME TAX down and outta the way !!
After that, I pick up the plant stand ^_^

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, ok you gals, who is the one that has sent me the snow, coming down heavily, almost like popcorn..yuk..oh well, told you all to take it with a smile that it might be the last fall of snow so must do the same.

Made an appt. once again, 3rd time at the vision center on lunch hour..don't see a difference between top of glasses and bifocal part..maybe nothing wrong with glasses just me..frustrating to say the least..

I'm with you Susan, so many are going through difficult times that you hate to complain. Sorry to hear you are going through so much!!!

Ann was over last night, Mike will have to go into Palative care any day now, he'd failing rather quickly...63, much too young to die isn't it, especially when I'm the same age, drats that's young but then Roger was 47 and that really was young..good Lord has a plan, keep telling myself that.

Busy here this morning so off I go, read all your posts and will respond the minute I have a few seconds...

Enjoy your day

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ann JoannaB did have a truck- and she had to leave it parked with the rear half way out into the street! Drivers were probably cursing that crazy driver as they went by! LOL!
I had to shovel a big pile of snow away from the front and side of the car to get it out yesterday- parked out back until the street clears- walking thru the lake instead.

It is melting slowly - glad the temps are not any higher . I still have an enormous bank of snow in the back half of my veggie garden - it is the south side with a garage across the fence so does not get much snow in the winter, is always the last area to thaw.

And my 'blue box' by the fence in the parking pad is frozen in place - no sun in that spot! So it is full but I cant put it out! Might have to move stuff to the neighbors!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan, it's a pain in the butt to be on Crutches no matter how you got there, I'm sure Lorna can attest to that big time. Pleased to hear it's a fairly small injury.
Betty, Ann and Mike are still in my T's and P's. Did your Head get any better?
Carol , I bet your neighbors won't mind sharing for a bit, tough to use a blue box when it's frozen in.

I have been parking out front for the past week as the ally is a nightmare. Ruts so deep you could swim in them.
The water has been flowing much better and we are to be in double digits at the end of the week!
Had the min/max thermometer in the G house and it has only gone 1 degree below freezing and up to 85 in the day time. Hmmmmm almost time to move the "stuff" out of the house.
Alberta Ann

Poppin in before supper ..
Ann .. (and Susan) .. crutches are something you NEED, but HATE to use .. Lorna uses them off and on only, she prefers the rollator walker .. wish you both speedy recoveries ..

Betty .. guess maybe I sent the SNOWPOPCORN your way LoL .. we had it yesterday, it's trying to melt today .. but .. like Calgary .. we have RUTS !!! Jimongus ones in the driveway .. ishy !!

Got the taxes done .. YAHOO .. and .. the plant ladder is put together, an IKEA nightmare, but, Lorna made short work of it .. will post a pic once I get the African violets onto it .. they sure are in sad shape, will be so nice to see them blooming again ....

HUGE news in the WESTIE dept ^_^
Jo-Anne (my bud who found me the plant ladder on Kijiji) saw an add from a couple wanting a home for a 16 week old female Westie .. they were moving and the pup cannot go with. Jo called me, I looked, and I emailed and .. hang on .. remember the female Westie I was going to get from west of TBay in March, but, I thought better of it? THIS pup is from THAT litter .. would be Lilly's niece ^_^
Have emailed back and forth .. sent pics .. and OH MY, is she a sweetheart .. named 'KELTIE' ..
So far the couple is not 100% sure they may not be able to take her with them .. but .. if they can't .. we are FIRST on the list !!!!
Kinda exciting huh ?

Buzzers are ringing .. spaghetti is ready

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

It's sunshine city here, bight winds though and cold..tomorrow rain/snow mix, we can handle that right knowing it might be the last?

"M" it is indeed exciting, 3 doggies, you'll have your hands full for sure!have spaghetti I'm the freezer, you are making me hungry..should take it out, if not for tonight's din din then for tomorrow

Alberta Ann, Ann usually co es over on Tuesday evenings, not sure she'll be able to make it tonight but will tell her of your prayers...certainly needed. She was taking Mike to the doctor's this afternoon so they may have put him in palliative care. As for my head, still the same! Surely it's a bit early for you to set things outside already!

Carol, you just have to be so careful walking with ruts, wouldn't take much to lose you footing

Pine trees across the street are almost bending in half, that ought to dry any ground water sitting in yards..

I sympathize with you all, out roads are heaving, so etimes you feel as though. Your car is airborn.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - no more ruts in Calgary!! The snow is leaving really quickly - we have temps of 10c now (well, it's gone down to 6c cuz it's after 7pm) and we're going to get double digits again this weekend.
Reportedly it will continue to get warmer and they're predicting an early spring ('bout time!! - we have a tremendously late one last year!)
I hate to wear rosy-coloured glasses, but I may be able to this Spring! (hope, hope......)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Omg, Sunday when I got back from buffalo it was painkillers and right to bed ..just around 4:30pm. Then last night much the same, 6pm..tonight never even thought of listening to voice mail, well, a few minutes ago Barrie hospital called,said they had an urgent request from mu dr's appointment for MRI, guess what, I go late tomorrow night..talk about fast..excited as can be!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! So glad you don't have to wait until July! A month worth of these terrible headaches is just plain Wrong! Obviously we'll be waiting for the results right along with you. Hope they won't keep you waiting many days for them.
Good to have talked to you tonight, Betty - you always brighten my days. Glad I caught you before you were asleep lol

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have an ankle deep lake at the back gate/patio - not sure how quickly it will disappear with that huge snow drift melting 20 feet away. But the blue box unfroze just in time to put out for collection tomorrow. The flower bed on the south side of the house is pretty well clear and tulips and daffs and the rhubarb are showing nicely!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Lots of Calgary lakes, Carol - hope it's far enough away from your house so you don't have any threat of flooding your basement.
Did you hear the latest - it's not worth it for insurance to cover pot hole damage, unless it almost totals your car, because the deductible for it is going way up, and it will increase your premiums by quite a lot too. And with all the freeze/melt, it's pot hole heaven in Calgary - lots of heaving.
Almost makes me want Spring to hold off a mite.......

SPRING=SKUNKS=STINKY !! The whole houe was a buzz last night at about 2am .. a skunk got into the dogs enclosure, and, for whatever reason, paraded himslef up onto the patio, right under the bedroom windows, and .. yup .. 'let er rip' .. now .. many of you may not know that I have no sense of smell or taste .. lost it about 8-10 years ago following a very very bad case of bronchitis .. so .. I was sleeping away when the kaffufle ensued, dogs barking, windows sliding shut .. cussin LoL .. so .. with the advent of skunks .. we herald the advent of SPRING, and, a very keen LOOK OUT before letting the dogs out after dark !!!

Betty .. what WONDERFUL news re the MRI ..

Susan .. potholes are outrageous here as well .. especially if they are filled with water and DISGUISED as an insignificant small depression in the road. You drive over it and BANG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Off to town .. Lorna has blood work .. Smokey needs food and litter ..

Take care all

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning..

Had white stuff last night but it's already melted..not seeing any major flooding in my neck of the woods but I guess you all had much more snow than we did and the melting was so gradual that it hasn't had any impact..thank goodness! Nothing worse than a flooded basement..

Carol, bet those raised planter beds are lovely in the summer..are they used primarily for flowers or for vegetables?

Our roads are terrible state, not so much pot holes but the heaving..this morning I stopped at my brothers and asked in my snow tires would make a loud humming noise now that pavement is dry..he said yes, could be other things wrong with vehicle but he'd start there so have the number of the tire company who put 4 snowtires on my vehicle in December to find out if I can come in on the weekend to have them put on..sure hope that's all it is..

Don't you love it when a zillion things need fixing all at once?

"M" we also have skunks patrolling the neighborhood..always open the door and smell before letting the furries out in the morning.

Susan, hope you have a pain free day today..don't overdo it with the knee and I enjoyed gabbing with you last night!

Did you ever see anyone so excited and upbeat about getting an MRI, you'd think I'd won the lottery.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well the lake is just a pond this morning but there has not been much melt today, seems a touch cool.

Betty those are primarily for veggies but I grow clematis on the lattice at the ends and I often add things like Marigolds and nastursium within the veggies. Plus all around the outside are low ( 1 board high!) flower beds and a little shady sitting area in the corner. (See pic)

Always potholes in Calgary because of the constant temperature changes caused by chinooks. A never ending battle I guess.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's the other direction early in summer.
I forgot there are also Iris in front of the clematis .
The fencing is because Fancy used to help herself.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Victoria Harbour, ON

Oh wow, that photo with all the greenery is awesome..do you find you've a better crop grown that way?? Would make it much eaier for growing wouldn't it?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No just easier than getting down on my aging knees- although sometimes my aging back protests about leaning over! Soon I will get a 'stroller' which I can wheel between the beds and sit as I garden!

The ground does warm up a bit earlier in the spring. And I dont have to dig the dirt - just stir up the surface a bit.

Guess Betty is busy getting MRI'd .. hope she left any jewellery at home ..

Raised beds are my goal 'one day' .. so much easier to plant and pick .. I've seen those 'garden creepers Carol .. handy fer sure .. Lorna uses a rollator walker .. maybe it'll work for gardening .. just have to watch out for the tires.

Feeling kind of 'off' today .. sure hope it's not flu .. but my diagnoses is TOO MUCH TYLENOL .. been taking it almost every 6 hours, sometimes more often for these dang achy shoulders ...

Coronation Street is upcoming, my ONLY indulgence ^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" I decided to come home after work as I couldn't see me trying to put in 5 hrs roaming around Barrie! Was glad Kyle came over to see grandma, kept me from falling asleep, now it's hot chocolate and toast, watch a tv show then 45 minute ride back to Barrie!

They told me to take something if I thought I might get claustrophobic,
Not sure I will, but they didn't tell me what to take or bring with me should I get the panicky, told me to bring along a cd..think somewhere I have one that has relaxing sounds on it but where I would find it who knows.

Can't believe how the temperature has dropped, freezing in here, either that or I'm tired and feel the cold..either way up goes the furnace.

Carol, the do have those gardening benches on wheels that might fit the bill, perhaps the aisle aren't wide enough though.

"M". Sure hope it's not the flu, off for hot bath then off to bed..

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty by now your MRI should be over. Yeah.... that means help for your head will be on it's way.
Carol your garden will look outstanding before you know it, it always does!
We too are finally getting some green to show and the s--w is going away.
Birdies are sounding like fun now so spring must be coming.
Alberta Ann

OK .. I'm confused (my regular address) .. did you have the MRI Betty?
Anything to sedate you would have had to be ordered by your doc .. either valium or ativan are the usuals .. would have to KNOCK me out completley, I get quite 'pitter pattery' in confined spaces .. when that HUGE power outage hit Toronto in ?2004? .. all I could think of was the people stuck in elevators ... IN THE DARK !!!!!!!!!!!

I still feel cruddy 50% of the time .. hoping it will simply pass ..

WAS going to bake today, but, i forgot to buy FLOUR when I went shopping .. so I guess laundry will have to suffice ..

Stay well all

~M~

Well .. i have the flour and will be making the dough for a few pies .. I have a question for you (put it on the Recipe Forum as well)
I will have fresh pie dough, and want to use FROZEN apples in the filling .. am unsure how to accomplish this without turning out a soggy mess. I have baked the last of my totally frozen pies (crusts and apples) .. am now done to the bags of cut apples ..

I see some people THAW the apples, and some, NO ...

Thoughts??

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Flying over later today. I'll wave to you Calgarians as I go.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wondered last night how people afford to go to the hospital for tests when they charge so much for parking..I wasn't there long and I think it was $12.00..yikes..most people don't get that much for an hour's wage!!!

Had left early and got to my floor, woman was waiting for her husband to come out, we chatted and it was my turn.

With not having a problem with being in small places/underground,closets/elevators etc. I did not feel I'd have a problem...hear horror stories about people having difficulties but I wouldn't be one of them, nope not me..

The young woman came out introduced herself, said she was the lady who called me and were glad they finally got a hold of me; I said I had been away and that I thought I'd not get in until June/July..she told me yes that's exactly when they are booking MRI's but the nurse who reviews all in incoming paperwork saw the doctor's concern and booked me in immediately...

So now I've picked zen music-relaxation to birds and waves..just know I'm going to fall asleep as I'm tired so piece of cake..

I'm told I can keep my velvet jacket on, she taped the zipper so there wouldn't be a problem, said it was cold in the room and didn't want me to have a chill..Lordy she was talking to me like I was 100 and fragile as can be..took my arm and led me to the MRI table. I've had a catscan and no problem so looked at the machine without concern..

No sooner got on the table she said let me put a warm blanket on you..the blanket was soooo hot, I was toasty as can be..sure I'm going to be nice and cozy, might even fall asleep..

Ok, she had me all tucked in, sides tucked under me, right up to my neck..then the headset put on, still ok, then came a towel to cover my eyes and was slightly over my nose..hardly any breathing area left..now I was starting to feel like a rapped mummy..

Here comes the earphones, cramped on my ears and into head rest..yikes, not liking this and now comes the plastic shielf which is like a helmet covering..NOW I AM PANICKING BIG TIME...

NOT even in the MRI unit yet..omg..get me out of here..

So she encourages me to breathe deeply, give it a few seconds, no, I want out, trying to get off the table but she tells me how how I am, breathe deeply and wait a second.

Now what..

Told her I'd take off my jacket, no blanket, no cover over my eyes, I'd simply keep my eyes closed..ask her to tell me exactly what she'll be doing i.e. time wise and started to breathe...

Time to be put in the tube, too much restraint for me..kept telling myself to breath, listen to the birdies chirp, hear that water fall, deep breathing..ok got first photo done, 2nd one is now 3 1/2 minutes, breath, relax, you can do it Betty but now I know I'm starting to panic again..
kept trying to talk myself out of it, not an easy thing to do at al..now she tells me the next one is for 4 1/2 minutes...oh/oh...one doesn't realize just how long 4 1/2 minutes is...long/long/long time..and my bra eyehooks in the back were diffing into me, need to move, no can do...drats (said something worse than that to myself) finally she said one more, only 1 3/4 minutes and if all went ok I'd be out of there..that's good news, told me I'd be shaken up a bit so tried to focus on where the bumps and jives were coming from,wondering if the birdies were ok or if they fell in the water falls (cd relaxation sounds) and she says 'that's a wrap' and ask me if I wasn't happy getting out of there

This message was edited Apr 7, 2011 2:02 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.