What's Happening in your neck of the woods/chat with friends

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

snow mold sounds nasty too......... I'd give it a good raking to aerate it.

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Looks like skunk to me - I have one almost every year nosing around for grubs, worms, bugs.
Picture on this site - looks about the same as what you have - about half way down the page. Mine never hangs around long and I just repair the damage after he has moved on. Never quite sure if it is a skunk or raccoon as I have quite a few of them around too and I guess they will do the same thing........Laurie

http://willowhousechronicles.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/those-white-grubs/

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here is what we woke up to this morning! There is a lot of it and I think it is wet and heavy - not looking forward to shovelling. The dogs had to make their own paths to p/p as it was up past their bums!

Yes give the snow mold a good raking.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Victoria Harbour, ON

Oh no, white stuff, saying we might get a taste of it over the weekend as well..drats, not a good thing! Each time I hear of snow I say, last one of the year, well here we are nearing mid April and it's still a posibility..should have waited having all the gardens raked.

I was going to say moles..when I was at Harbor Freight Tools in Buffalo a few weeks ago they had a 'mole' unit that put off an undectable sound to human ear which would keep them away...hard to tell from photo but my yard at times looks much the same.

Do skunks dig???

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

We have skunks, and they dig for grubs and other delectable Canadian SPRING delights 'YUK' ..and, the lawns do look like that, but, the silvery stuff is like everyone says, 'winter mold' and it leaves when you rake the areas.

Carol .. it is FRIGID here!! And, snow is on the horizon apparently .. but .. I'll still try and work some of the beds .. Lorna is hard at it, I still haven't regained my 'FULL head of steam' as of yet .

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks to some earthly angels ALL my yard work is done...raking, tidying up and I did the pond last weekend so all is well..did hear snow might pay a visit on the weekend but will not stay long

Went to the drug store and from what I understand from the readings (have no idea how to read) so going by staf..lol 162/86 might be a tad high..will check it a few other times and if still high will go see the doctor

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh my betty the first number is a tad high and yes you should have it checked out, could be your headache problem too.
Ann

Betty .. MUCH too high for the top number. You had best follow up on this for sure ..

Flippin well raked in PARKAS today, and gloves .. but .. the SUN was so warm .....

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Will go to drug store on my way to work in the morning and see if it's still the same and if so will make sure it's checked...
In parkas "m"? Now you know how the. Eskimos feel. Lol

Although sunny the wind is bitter cold.

Can't believe since the gardens have been raked how much growth there has been.

Must go back and check weather for the weekend just invade rain and snow will now be su shine..lots of luck right!

I would not really place TOO much faith in the drugstore machines .. sometimes they can be inaccurate.
I'm not sure if the pharmacist could to do an actual READING with a cuff and stethoscope, I kinda don't know why he/she wouldn't be able to.

Lorna's parents are off to Georgian Downs tomorrow, then South Hampton for the weekend to visit relatives there, am hoping the weather holds for them ..

Early to bed as I am going to attempt a trip into town tomorrow ~~~

TTFN

~M~

Fredericton N B, Canada(Zone 4a)

Yipee!! I just got a price on removing a big maple.It was much less than I expected so I told them to do it.Now I'll have some sun in my yard and on my pond.The yard is surrounded by larg trees most of them aren't mine.This will open up the yard and let the sunshine in.I have my cataract operation on Monday.I blind in the other eye so it better go as well as the Dr.. says it will.JOY

I'm trying to hurry spring,It only took about 10 days for them to bloom.JOY

Thumbnail by agedgardener
Victoria Harbour, ON

Oh Joy I do hope it does go well for you..they've made great strides in that field...excited for you as well, those fishes in the pond will be thrilled to see sunshine,,,,wonderful that they gave you a good price to take it down..will it include complete clean up? Hate to see you picking up sticks...omg you sure are hurrying spring. Lol. Doubt mine even have buds..

"M". Sure am not taking the readings for cash. Lol. Just trying to find some reason for these headaches and with not being able to get appt with my doctor for awhile I thought I'd give it a try..after being with headache for 1 1/2 months I'm looking for any possible answer

Ohh Georgia Downs is about 10 minutes from my workplace...right in my neck of the woods..not sure where exactly south Hampton is though

I 'm in a swap - quilt block in Christmas/winter block..few days ago I decided to work on a few blocks, didn't do well at all, shouldn't have been playing with the machine so tonight I've taken all apart...will teach me !!

Ann just called, have palliative care bringing in air for mike tomorrow then late afternoon a nurse will come in to teach her how to give him morphine...feel so badly for her , them!
Haven't had supper yet, should get something before it's a midnight snack

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Joy it will be a good year for your yard and you with both being able to have a better view. Beautiful Forcythia (sp?) we just have been dumped on by the S---- Fairy so no blooms yet.

Betty when I get my BP done at the Doc's I have to sit for about 5 minutes with out talking or moving and they take it 5 times and then use the middle 3's average. I do know you have to sit quietly. But get it checked for sure.
Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Dropped in to drug store this morning, readings were higher than yesterday readings, machine is out of whack!!

Then Paul (boss) called in and told me I had have it checked out..

got to the clinic a few blocks away, was told 3 to 4 hour wait, well wasn't going to get off work before 3 so that would be okay.

After asking what was wrong she told me to go to the pharmacy and get my bloodpressure reading so she could attach to myform..came back and it was 212..told me to wait and left the 28 people who looked far more ill than I sit in waiting room while I went into the doctors..

Lovely lady..have a sheet of a zillion things she wants checked, can do that next week as I have to fast..and a prescription for high blood pressure meds...told me they cannot afford to lower my high blood readings too quickly..to MAKE sure i continue to take reading several times a day

Now home, might have a nap and know by tomorrow I'll be doing a jig, lol

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty , Lordy 212 is toooooo much, I hope this was the reason for your headaches it would be nice to have both fixed! Watch yourself on the meds as when I started taking mine I fainted but I did have a bit of warning as I got light headed and managed to sit in a chair first. So if you feel light headed sit or lay down as quickly as you can. The old head between the knees works wonders too. Just don't get up quickly, from anything till you get used to the meds.
Let us know when you have the Zillions done, you are on your way to wellness!
Ann

Girls, You will have to excuse me if I don't answer each person.My memory isn't that good but I'll try to answer . I'm having St.Mary's Tree Service cut down my tree,They have taken down several huge trees for me in the past and have....cleaned up nicely.This time it is the son running the company.His father passed away a couple of years ago.The Forsythia is Northern Gold.This year is the first year it has performed well at this house.I think it has been the victim of over zealous pruning.Last year I wouldn't let them touch it....my gardeners. I'd love to get them to come and clean up the yard next week but I want to be out to guard my Hydrangeas.last year they cut Endless Summer right down to the ground.I may not feel up to it next week.Betty you should get to the doctor .Your BP is too high.A daily pill will probably fix it...and a change in diet too.Don't risk a stroke.I lost the sight in my eye by not going to the Dr. when I should have.JOY

Victoria Harbour, ON

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2011/04/15/Bettypauze/dcbbb3.jpg
The above were morning readings and office reading higher..she did say the machines could be out but not enough that she would say, no meds for you.

Sure hoping by tomorrow I'll be functioning again,,dr. Did tell me about the possible swooning so thank you Ann, will watch myself..

joy, glad you don't have to have it cleared..you are excited I'm sure to have it behind you..will make a difference for sure..tomorrow when I make my walkabout in the gardens I'll have to chech what names my forsythia is called..

Ive a couple of hydrangeas and didn't do anything last year re pruning so wonder should I cut them down and how much do I leave outside the ground if I do...

Off to rest

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty
I wouldn't cut any now or you won't get any flowers. Check with the Hydranga folks but mine sets blooms the year before. I have .....Angel somthing or other. So I wait till after it blooms and don't cut back new growth. Maybe some bloom on older growth? Anyone?
Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Will check for sure, went to break a dead limb, thought it was dead but was bright green underneath ..wasn't sure!

Had a nice nap, watch tv and early to bed..have to be at the tire guy for 8am. For snows to come off and new all seasons put on

joy are you getting snow?

Glenview, IL

Waiving Wildly Betty and Friends!!!

Whew hopefully no snow for us...

...yep, please follow orders-FOR SURE.

Love ya, ya know.
Babe

No snow for us ...just a bitter cold wind.The sun was shining but that wind!! JOY

Glenview, IL

Hi there, Aged.

Woohoo , no snow...you are too cute, Sound just like my Betty!!
Angel something or other, giggle giggle, ROFLOL, not that I can name what is....
Holy Rain fall. thats what wer are getting, & brrr, quite chilly here.
Anyways just strolling around the threads...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

More snow coming tonight!

One of my columnar junipers by the front door is still leaning at a 45 degree angle after the heavy wet snow Wed night.Worried might be broken at the base- tree guy stopping by to have a look sometime this weekend. Pic taken before I knocked all the snow off.

Sassy had her ultrasound today - a problem with one of her kidneys ( which apparently is abnormal anyway) but not sure if a tumor or an infection so trying a strong antibiotic for 3 weeks and see what happens. The tumor on her neck is huge and full of cavities but encapsulated . So in the long run whatever she will just stay with me for whatever time she has left.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Victoria Harbour, ON

Judy, lol. Had to go back and check twice,thrice to see if I was on the right threap, you are a little imp!! Glad you are surfing the threads..fun thing to do on a stormy rainy evening!!

Storm a brewing, high winds, big maple and oak out front are swaying like crazy.. Motion detector light keeps coming on anh the howling, no wonder I cannot sleep.

Sassy is blessed to be with you Carol..she'll get such love and care in her last days. Can't believe the weather you are still getting, just don't send it my way please

'm". How are you feeling, bet you did too much these past few days.

Well .. BACK TO WINTER for us here in Thunder Bay!! We have a 'weather BOMB' occuring at this moment .. expecting close to 20cm of heavy wet snow !!
The dogs are in HEAVEN!

Betty .. 212 is absolutely unacceptable in the BP dept .. we get antsie at about 135. This SO needs to addressed.

I am creeping up to feeling maybe 75% better .. lets just say I won't be blowing the snow or shoveling it either .. if I did either my shoulders would cave on me, or, I'd overdo and go backwards on the feeling better 'percentometer' !!

Joy, great news on the tree removal .. that's something that is MEGA BUX here .. and I'd like to see several trees GONE .. have to keep buying those Lotto tickets ^_^

Off to make a cuppa

~M~

Forgot sumpthin ^_^

Watched 'BLACK SWAN' last evening with Natalie Portman and Barbara Hershey. WOW!! Talk about an INTENSE movie!!
It's got it's disturbing moments, but, for the most part, it is an excellent movie and a wee peak into the stresses in the world of a top ot the heap Ballerina.
Natalie Portman is not only beautiful, but BOY, can she act !!!!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Major rain and wind storm happening here, yikes if it's not nailed down I'm sure I'll be searching for it..whatever it is. Lol

Already been to midland, got new tires, didn't mind the $300 for 4 tires and accepted the taxes but sure didn't like the almost $25.00 Imposed for disposal of..not bad if the money does go for that purpose...

Started to move around and headache city so am now on the chesterfield for a bit but DO want to Getz something accomplished today

Be careful out there everyone....a day to stay in for sure

I was told it was cost $3000. but was pleasantly surprised with a price of $750.00`The company are on a reservation wher
e the p
eople are very successful bussiness people`My daughter had a young woman intern with he.I have just returned from another funeral.This was for my family doctor who looked after us when my children were growing upp.With him there were no visits to the ER.When someone was sick he would drop in on his wat home to check us out.He was a personal friend too.He loved to fish and would share his salmon catch with us.We were not fishermen but loved Salmon. RIP. JOY

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

There being some interest in the upcoming royal wedding in some circles you might get a kick out of this take on the wedding processional............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kav0FEhtLug&feature=youtu.be

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

lol that's funny, Carol - thanks for sharing!

I've always been a monarchist, but guess the constant portrayal of the Royal Family since Diana's passing has just been too "Enquirer" for me.
They're a lovely family who has problems just as the rest of us do, and I wish the notoriety would end. I will enjoy the weddings when they happen ^_^
(there, that's my soap-box for the day LOL )

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

INSTALLING SPRING...

███████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 44% DONE.

Install delayed....please wait.
Installation failed. Please try again. 404 error: Season not found.
Season "Spring" cannot be located. The season you are looking for might
have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again.

Sounds like Calgary!

LOL Carol .. sure is true there in Calgary, and here in Thunder Bay .. back are boots, parkas, mitts, gloves, and doggies who are in HEAVEN rolling in the snow and then hauling it back into the house on their faces and feet !!
We got the the promised 20cm+ and it is downright disappointing .. but .. like any stalwart Canadian, I KNOW it'll be gone, AGAIN, by mid week as our temps climb.

Susan .. I don't consider myself a Monarchist (in the absolute 100% definition of the word), but, I do enjoy keeping sort of 'UP' on the wedding. I doubt I'll be getting up early to watch the ceremony live, but doubtless it'll be re broadcasted for weeks. I think Wills and Kate make a lovely couple, and I do so hope she can weather the storm of becoming Royalty. Makes me shiver when I think of what transpired with Diana !!

Joy, my condolences on the loss of your friend. He sounds like he was a very special person.

TTFN

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Funny link about the royal wedding. Thanks.

Another yucky day here in Ottawa as well. Have DGD sleeping over after a family concert we went to yesterday.

In regard to the Royal wedding, my "Something Purple" group (used to be Red Hat until we rebelled and refused to pay $20 each to Red Hat corporate headquarters) will be having a wedding sleepover at one member's home. Gathering in the evening to watch movies, etc. and the wedding in the morning. Dunno whether they will break up in time to go to aquafit (since most of us came from the aquafit group). I've decided to drop in in the evening but go home to sleep a bit overnight and return in the wee hours of the morning.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, loved the spring post. Lol. Sitting here this morning I've had a few changes and it's only 8:30..hint of sun, then on to snow, then on to rain and now the sun is shilnning, wo knows what the day will bring..

Still staying quiet but hope to at least make a quilt block today so I feel like I've accomplished something!!

Joy, what a savings..just think you can go purchase a few more if those lovely outfits that had to stay in the dress shop that you were eyeing when you pi coed up the last ones...lol

Hugs for you, not easy losing a friend!

Yikes, blizzard just moved in

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well I remember waking
up early to watch POW wedding- I had just moved to Calgary, my furniture had just arrived and I could only get 1 channel on the TV but that was the one! Doubt I will be up at 4 this time but you never know. I am a member of several 'royal' type websites ( one is Royal Jewels!) and although I am a lurker it is fun to read, not just UK but most of the Europeans. Watched the Swedish wedding on my computer! And you know I remember being up early in the morning and sitting on the stairs listening to the radio broadcast of the QElls wedding!

Snowed all night here! Sigh! 6 weeks left to open garden on May 29. Not happy about that!

Arborist came yesterday and hauled my poor juniper upright and attached it to the porch railing! Thinks there is probably some root damage as the tips are starting to turn brown. Nothing to be done but wait and see. Hope it does not die as I have a matching one on the other side of the steps!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Carol, remember I was in brownies when the Queen came to visit our little town...remember them in a horse drawn cart..wouldn't get them traveling like that with little security these days..also remember watching Prince of Wales wedding also..

Hope your tree survives ..be difficult finding one of same size to plant so that the front garden design is in tact!

Must surf the web to see what year queen was in penetanguishene..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Absolutely amaIng, went back and looked, don't see a visit to penetanguishene and yet, although I remember few things about my youth I can remember standing in a field with so many people and children, preparing for the march...hmmm must be losing it..always had memories of same..isn't that the strangest thing..best I not tell that story any more....

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I also remember - I think probably grade 8 - when the then Princess Elizabeth toured the country - all the school kids gathered in the hockey arena ( Saskatoon) and we sang Land of Hope and Glory! And maybe The Maple Leaf Forever? My brother was in the air cadets and they formed an honor guard when she arrived at the train station. Somewhere we have a picture of her reviewing the guard and my brother is in it.

Thunder Bay is kind of 'TSK,TSK', re one of Queen Eliz and Prince Phillip's visits here .. it was in the 60's , I was young and didn' really GRASP the meaning of the HUGE 'faux pas' our Mayor made at the time. Had there been YouTube back then, well .. the video would have overtaken the net!!
Our dear sweet Mayor 'Walter Assef' (RIP), not unlike HURRICANE HAZEL of Mississaugua .. did things his OWN way .. be darned protocol .. and .. he put his arm around the Queen's waist just above her butt to help her along the stage ... BIIIIIGGGGGGGGG No No .. no one is to touch her .. kind of sounds archaic, but, we were sure a National hit for that for years LoL

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.