DJ9'S WINTER ROBIN " IN FLIGHT " PT 5

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Quote from RickCorey_WA :
My first two years starting Petunies from seed were eye-openers - I finally found something slower than I am! They germinated better than I expected, until this year.

This year they are slow, feeble, and just look like they're waiting for a good day to die, the few that came up. I think they dislike my new barky-gritty soil mix. Too coarse.

"Vermiculite and peat 50-50" sounds like a way to hold a LOT of water. If you can dry out that combination, you DO have a light watering hand.

The only way I can GET my trays of cells to dry out is to exercise more discipline than I have, for longer than I'm usually able. Just recently I gritted my teeth and waited a few days past "dry surface" and "that tray seems pretty LIGHT". Finally I had to sprinkle the surface, and then bottom-water at least a little. But I think the soil got a little drier than usual.

((More discipline? I hope that isn't like trying to diet...LOL! I do, however pick the trays up and can usually tell if they need water, when I remember....remember - I am an old lady who forgets things...))

I sprout my seeds in my bedroom, and check them on waking, getting home from work, and going to bed - at least. And for some reason, I just like to water them. Meddling? The illusion of helping them? Wanting to feel needed?

((Yeah, I do start them in here, too. Then some get shifted to the basement and the others get moved to the downstairs bathroom. The others are started outside on the back porch.))

Kind of like "I like to turn the soil over and break up clumps". It just feels good, and I imagine that I'm an important part of accelerating soil health.

I wonder if there is any psychological system for analyzing people based on their garden habits - like Rorschach gardening.

((Heh, heh....! LOL!!)

Yeah, "water issue" sounds about right. Killing them with attention.

Corey

My petunias have bit the dust...my own fault, as I DO water with a light hand. I just soaked the eggplant now, as I wait until they are almost wilting before watering them. They seem to like that treatment as they are looking great. The tomatoes are still a bit small, though looking healthy. I have only grown a couple. DH bought his at the nursery - 'Celebrity'...what can I say?

Sorry for the cross-posting...I know you must all be so excited to see the robin. Wow, I never saw so many seeds packed into one box and coming in the mail...everyone will be delighted.

Athens, PA

The Robin has taken flight again! He is on his way to see Di!!!

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow This Bird is traveling fast Wonder who is going to be the closest to the Flight landing at HOME PLATE ???

not me, my date has passed.

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

Hello all! Please, skip me on the flight pattern. Unfortunately, I have too much going on the get the Robin and get her back in flight. I hope you all have fun with the big fat Robin!

OK Anita we will look for you in the fall :))) So Di Just send it home ok when you have finished with Him :) Want to say thank you all .

susie

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I hope you give that Robin some big, fat worms after all her flying hither and yon! There should a fanfare and drum rolls (but I'm guessing everyone is outdoors, up to their elbows in soil).

Thank YOU, Susie, a bushel and a peck!

Corey

your welcome corey & TY For all your goodies & Hope you will Join us in the fall once again :)))
Also hope those cannas do well for you.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Deejay
thanks for all you have done. I have really enjoyed the Bird.
It was such a positive experience this time.
And thanks to eveyone who shared and helped this bird move along. I will enjoy all my seeds.
Lavina

Welll i do hope we all have learned how to save much more so we can share with others Looks as the robin should be home next week . Happy gardening to all .

anyone have a red bleeding heart check see if they set seeds will you .

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I just planted a red bleeding heart. It is currently just a dead looking root type thingy ^_^, but if she grows and blooms, I will see if there are any seed.

Athens, PA

Susie

Mine are starting to flower - I'll check to see if they set seeds. I don't remember them doing that in the past, but I suppose they may have and I missed them...

The Robin has been great fun and I have met such wonderful people. Susie - many thanks to you for being so organized. I have to tell you, I am a bit in awe as I am not, nor have I ever been one to be terribly organized.

I would like to raise this suggestion again - would it be possible to have a thread/threads to show everyones' seeds and gardens that came from the Robin? I'd love to see what others do and I can always use new ideas...

Can't for the fall Robin.

Carolyn

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Im going to be signing off for now. It was good to talk with all of you along the flight and with the swapping. It feels like I know you a little bit even tho we've never met. It was my first Robin and it was really fun. Susie, thanks so much for being the organizer. Im like Carolyn. Organizing is not my strong suite. I cant even keep myself organized! Because of that, I too am really appreciative of all the work you did. Hope the Robin has lots of goodies in there for you when it arrives home. Bye, Bye All. I enjoyed playing with you!

Athens, PA

hope we all get to play again in the fall!

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Thank you Susie for all the hard work that you put into this group seed trade. You were AMAZING! I have a hard time keeping my own seeds organized and "out the door"...so to speak, that is planted...and listed and mailed as well.

And very big THANK YOU! And a BIG HUG! XXXXOOOO

thank you all i really enjoyed sharing with you all . & if we can do this in the fall I hope to have loads more for i'm bring my friends gardens here to my place for she is moving & they cannot sell their house for no one wants all her plants & i do mean plants sure wish some of you were closer you could fill your gardens & then some .

well got to lay back you take care cam & hope to see you in the fall .
susie

thank you for all your work and a really great robin ! and, i wish i lived closer also!!!!

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

I'll be sending it back home on Monday, Susie - I've been busy with my brother and won't get to it until later on tonight or sometime tomorrow. Sure hope you do a fall one, I already have seeds coming up outside from the past one. Thanks so much!

Well let hope we all have some new type to share will everyone also :))) .. & MONDAY IS Fine .

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Seed flats for the most part are looking good, still waiting for several cells to germinate. They better get going or something else will take their place. Many Cosmos and Zinnia seedings are large enough to transplant, going to plant them in clumps and hope to harvest seeds in the Fall. One of my kitties did a number on the name tags in one of trays and upset a lot of peat pots. Oh well, it's a good thing I like surprises...lol And how crazy is this, a volunteer Cosmos in the garden where a bunch were planted last year has a bloom.

I just noticed my lettuce leaf poppies are blooming. Red & black. So pretty.

CAN you take a picture of them ??? I want more Poppies :)

Sure hun............will do that when the light gets better

Here you go susie ................. Love the leaves on these

Thumbnail by Crit

and from the side

Thumbnail by Crit

Durn, Crit - those are gorgeous!

I've never grown poppies before. I really like them~

OH those are so so Pretty Please save the seeds :))) going to plant some of my seed out this week end.
If i can fine the time :)))
susie

I don't think I planted them all. I will see if I can find them and send you some.

Athens, PA

Patti

your poppies are so pretty.

There are a few poppy seeds in my bin that I know somebody must have shared in a Robin since I've never bought seeds or tried to grow them. I thought they needed to be sowed in cold weather and was waiting til Fall. Will they be OK if I plant them now?

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Today I checked on 4 kinds of poppies I planted while temps were still getting down to 35-40 at night, and three are doing nothing after about three weeks.

In one of those four patches, it looked like some delicate sprigs of grass were emerging - nope, "Orange California Poppy". Maybe 1/2" tall, or 3/4".

I might have let two kinds dry out between rainy days, since that bed drains so fast.

The other kind, I don't know why they didn't sprout: maybe I started them too late.

Corey

PUT Them in the freezer for a few days . then plant them

I planted mine last fall. I had another small clay pot that had some coming up, but the dried out and died before I realized it. The ones in the pic were in a larger redwood tub, so held more moisture. I'm pretty well hooked on the poppies now, they are so pretty. I wonder if I could get a little start for you susie. Seems I read somewhere they don't like their roots disturbed. However, I would like to move them from the tub to a bed. Maybe someone here would know if I can do that.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO EVERYONE! Even those who have 4 legged fur-babies

Patti, I transplanted some 'Brilliant' poppies from SIL's house to here. Half died, half did great is about all I can say. I heard that they don't like to be moved as well but thought I'd give it a try since I liked them so much.

Great tip, Susie. Will do and TY!

can't promise it works but worth a try :)))) I just love poppies .

New Providence, IA(Zone 5a)

Susie, are you around and okay?
ME

I put my purple poppy seed in the freezer, but forgot to do the orange, so guess I have an experiment on my hands. We will see if it helped to put them in the freezer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.