Bromeliad for the novice and Addict for mar-Apr 2011

Coffs Harbour, Australia

we came from here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1149784/#top
Thought we needed a new thread as the old one was loooong. This is vriesea 'Dark Knight' on a garden visit in NZ last month.
Sue

This message was edited Mar 14, 2011 3:36 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Brisbane, Australia

Sue, that Vr. Dark Knight is magnificent!

Karen

se qld, Australia

Isn't it just? The garden looks so neat and leaf-litter free Sue. We love our gum trees to bits, but they can be awefully messy at times, and removing fallen leaves from the cups of broms is a never-ending job.

Pam

I hope our dark knight will look like that one Sue. I suspect ours is not getting enough good light where it is. We are giving our chooks away so Johnny can use the space for his foliage vriseas so maybe we can find a better spot for dark knight.

I love getting new parcels of broms delivered. It's like Christmas opening them. Today I received a small box of tills. I ordered 5 funkiana on ebay and I am sure I received at least 7. Definately seemed more than 5 though. I kept finding another one amongst the tissue paper. Loved it. Recommend collectors corner

oh I forgot. I welcomed a new little grandaughter Rylee Prisilla Perske this morning at about 1am. A sister to Emily 3. both seen here with mum (daughter in law Jess). It all happened so fast I didn't even have time to get out of bed let alone dressed and to the hospital before it was all over. She was anxious to be here a week early.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch
Brisbane, Australia

Congratulations Wendy. Welcome to baby Rylee Prisilla. A lovely arrival to brighten up your lives.

Sorry to hear the chooks have to go. You'll miss the fresh eggs.

Seems quiet in here lately. Will have to see what other pics I can find.

The till. fasiculata you gave me is growing a little pup. I am so proud of it.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

2 babies....

well done Karen. That fasiculata is growing very well on the coconut ball.

It has been quiet on this forum lately hasn't it? some days there is no new entries at all. However I must admit some days I login to see what's new and then log off without making any entry so I am just as guilty as others. The last couple of nights I have been lucky just to find time to take a quick look then shut down. It is hard work looking after a 3 yo for 3 days. But I must admit she is better behaved here with just us than when her mum or dad are around.

Wendy.

Brisbane, Australia

Most kids are like that, Wendy. My grand daughters were the same. As soon as mum and dad arrived they would go ape, but with me they were gramma's little angels.

I have had T. Cyanea for a few years, both in a pot, and some growing on a rattan ball. I have noticed that the ones in the pot flower readily, but the ones on the ball don't. Is Cyanea one tillandsia that prefers its roots in some potting mix?

Karen

This message was edited Mar 16, 2011 11:21 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Pam, after visiting all those gum tree free gardens, I'm determined to either move mine out from under the trees, or have the trees 'trimmed' to about an inch high! hee hee.
Wendy, the sunlight in NZ is a bit milder and they seem to get good colour without burn. lucky ducks! Sorry you're removing the chooks. i did that awhile ago too, when I realised it cost me more to feed them than to buy free range eggs! Congratulations on your new grandaughter.
Karen, I bought one of those coconut balls last weekend, but haven't put anything on it yet. It HAS been quiet in here. I used to post every day, but sometimes I just don't have time to get through the different forums and websites in one night, depending on the connection speed. Also DG logs me off at the most inopportune moments. Apparently its my browser settings, but I can't find anything wrong with them.
Hello Charleen...(waving maddly) hows the long ears?
Neo. 'Kahala Dawn'
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Brisbane, Australia

Sue, that's a stunning neo. I think I use the forums as an escape from all the medical stuff going on here. Just got called back to the doctor regarding the ultra sound on my shoulder. I put it off until Monday. All this running around is exhausting. She should also have the results of the echocardiagram too. And the report from the physiotherapist. Maybe even one from the podiatrist about the inflammation in my heel. I am falling apart.

Am going through my tillandsias again. Most have lost their name tags so will have to wait for flowers.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Karen, I hope your health troubles ease off soon. Its never any fun when your body doesn't work well. Constant pain can be wearing too, so I hope you get a good escape from it while visiting the Aussie forums. Missing labels can be a bother eh? Worse is when you find one that has faded, because it means you used to know what it was! I find putting my pics on facebook helps to have them ID'd, especially if you have a couple of experts in your friends list! Also the bromeliad and airplant website is a good place for an ID too. Flowers certainly help with the Tillandsias, as they begin to look a bit the same. I have noticed that as i take more of an interest in them, I have noticed some difference in their forms, but am by no means an expert.
I've all but finished Leisas garden, but its been drizzling for a couple of hours which has put an end to the mulching. I've been saving up golden cane fronds to put through the mulcher, and also gum tree bark. I get to clean and mulch the garden at the same time. Some of Liesas plants have decided to flower for me, so i will try to get some pics when the rain eases off a bit.
Sue
An unknown neo I bought last week.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Sunshine Coast, Australia

Neo. 'Kahala Dawn' very nice Sue.

Brisbane, Australia

Sue, that is really nice with the fine stripes and 3 colours. If I know or can get the names of plants, I take a pic and put it named on my computer. Also, with pups, I take a pic of mother and pup where possible so I can see what they'll grow up into.

Vriesea Hoelesehidiana. Now who'd be landed with such a name?

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Coffs Harbour, Australia

karen, I think the spelling is hoelscheriana, (not to be a know-it-all) If you give it a bit more light, it should get quite a bit of red through it. Have you seen it flower yet? It is a bit of a mouthful.
I do the same as you, in fact, I seem to photograph my plants 6 or 7 times through their life, as sometimes they go through a few different colour stages.
This is Aechmea purpureorosea, try that for a name. I bout it as a single flowering plant, unnamed, and trolled through the FCBS pictures to find it. This year it rewarded me with 3 flowers, but its been a two year wait!
Sue
Also, its very spikey!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Sue I love that striped neo with NOID. Some of those NOIDs can be lovely can't they. Definately one that I will crave to add to my collection ha ha.
I've been trying to do a bit of pupping under the house while Johnny does some home maintenance. He has replaced all the step treads on the back stairs. Started with 4 rotted ones but then decided he might as well replace them all so a quick trip to the timberyard for some more and voila - empty bank account and new stairs painted white so far. Whew they shine in the dark but after just one day so dirty from being walked on. Next is all the rotten wood on the front verandah. Then we will paint both front and back. There's always something to do isn't there?
Not sure when we'll get a little holiday in. We had a 3 week window between medical appointments and was going to use them to go south before too cold but guess what?????? a new apointment and when for??? the middle week of course. Wonder how far we could go in 1 week????
Ah well we'll just have to go during winter. Might buy an electric blanket for the camper ha ha.
Wendy

Brisbane, Australia

Sue, thank you for giving me the right name. Actually, it had a tag, but I had to guess half of it as it was smudged and faded. I haven't seen it in flower, no. Looking forward to it. That is a really lovely flower on that Aechmea purpureorosea.

Wendy, John sounds like a workaholic, always busy. I used to be like that, but I think I got burnt out. I hope you do get some time out soon. I am so bogged down with medical stuff too and it is getting me down.

I am going to see Neville tomorrow (from your Brom Soc open day) about some tillandsias. I have a mile long wish list, but will probably find others I like better, or that he has more readily available. Won't be able to afford many, but a few at a time and I still have lots to look forward to. Will let you know what I get.

Karen

Ae. recurvata about 2 years ago. I don't know if this is Aztec Gold or not. It now has a large pup but hasn't flowered since this one.

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Karen, I think that is straight recurvata, as 'Aztec Gold' is variegated. The recurvatas can take quite a bit of sun too, and go quite golden, which is a lovely contrast to the hot pink flowers. Good luck with your Tillandsia shopping, and I look forward to seeing pics of your new babies.
Wendy, sorry to hear that medical issues are keeping you at home. It sounds as though Johnny has plenty to keep himself occupied. I spent the morning washing pots, and then filling them with pups that have been removed already, some over 12 months ago! Most had roots, so they should settle in before the cool weather. I feel a little nanny nap coming on now! Back to work tomorrow.
Here are a couple of flowering Vrieseas in Leisas garden
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
north coast nsw, Australia

Well this is the flower for Vriesea Ospinae Gruberi, wonder what white bands looks like?

Thumbnail by breeindy

V. white bands

Thumbnail by breeindy

shelldance? looks like a big mess...hehe!

Thumbnail by breeindy

Gympie delight in alittle to much sun.

Thumbnail by breeindy
Brisbane, Australia

Sue, thank you. I thought it might be, but wasn't too sure. Leisa's garden is looking really lovely.

Bree, those are two really beaut vr's. And two beautiful....neo's?

Went to Neville's and though we don't eat next week, it is so worth it. Oh, I have never seen so many tillandsias all in one spot in all my life. Tilly Heaven! I really wanted to say, "One of each, please." Oh well, more to look forward to.

Here's what I got...
All tillandsias....

Jucunda
Tectorum
Ixioides
Rectifolia
Funckiana
Neglecta
Velutina
Bergeri

I'm a happy little chappy...

Karen

This message was edited Mar 19, 2011 10:31 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Oh Karen, you lucky little duck you. I'll have to talk Jen into a trip to Mt Gravatt to see him. I get a couple from him each time I go to the BSQ mtgs but I'm not sure if his prices are a bit more there to cover their commission. I'll have to go to his place to see them all.

I took this billbergia to the BSQ meeting last Thursday night and got 2nd place in the novice section. They told me to give it a name instead of just the name of the bloke it came from (he was there by the way and can't remember ever having it or what happened to it). I thought I might call it 'fruit salad'. what do you think?

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

each tube has a different shade of colour from white, green, orange, pink through to red. It is quite colourful and was greatly admired at our open day. that is why I decided to take it to a meeting. It used to be just one big overflowing basket but we broke it up, cleaned it up and repotted it. One small clump seen in this green squat pot and 2 new green baskets with hangers. They all look great but I thought the squat looked nicest to take along.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch
Brisbane, Australia

Wendy, what a beauty! Fruit salad suits it.Oh, another one on my wish list. Let me know what you decide on (the name).

I wouldn't say Neville's prices were cheaper than the open day shows. Those ones I got really did cost heaps, and I've just discovered that he gave me 2 neglecta instead of 2 arujei. It looks like I don't have neglecta here so that's OK. But wait until you see his shade houses. Just unending tillandsias from top to bottom and all over inside and out. I can't imagine what it must look like when there are lots in flower at once. I asked him if it was OK to show the pics I took and he was OK with it. This is just a section, but gives an idea of what the whole lot must look like.

Karen

This message was edited Mar 20, 2011 12:55 AM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Oh Karen that looks like a till nuts heaven doesn't it? If only we could walk through and just say one of those and those and those etc. JEN WE MUST GO THERE. SOON. LOL Thanks for sharing that Karen.

Bob said as it wasn't named when he had it I should just go ahead and name it and register it if I want. I might send a photo to the guy who does the registration and see if he has seen anything like it before. If not he can register it as bill. fruit salad. I don't think I have ever given any of it away and only had the one basket until last week. Now have 3 so will be able to share or swap soon.

Wendy

Brisbane, Australia

Wendy, maybe you should get more plants for yourself and get the line truly established before selling them? I don't know much about these things, but with so few you'd be lost if anything happened to the main plant. If you put one on eBay as a newbie, you might get a really good price for it.

As for Neville's tills, I wonder how he can find anything. The pic shows about a third of the shade house and I don't think there are any gaps anywhere. It's all plants. But he seems to know where things are and found all the plants I was looking for.

Karen

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Karen, it sounds as though you had a good and productive time at the Tillandsia nursery. Did you find that the seller, like alot of sellers, was reluctant to part with anything? I find it amusing to go into a crowded nursery, listen to the seller exclaim how they don't have enough time to look after it all, but won't part with it. he he. I wonder if we'll all be like that, or are we already? Thanks for the picture. Are you going to mount them all on that nice bit of wood?
Nice pictures Bree. I think you Gympie delight looks fine, ad not too hot at all.
Nice Billy, Wendy. It looks similar to one in Leisa's collection, but probably not the same. It must have had good light to have such good colour? Fruit Salad seems a good name for it.
Yesterday i started work on tidying up the bank at the back, that is really a bromeliad garden with nothing very special in it. It badly needs a tidy and revamp, so I've made a start anyway. The gum branches always give it a hiding, so its not a spot to put anything too lovely. Only the tuff ones can survive there!
Anyway, better be off and get some breakfast into me. I also need to get out and spray a couple of things with yates success, to keep away thte caterpillars. There seems to be a few around at the moment!
Sue
Tillandsia rothii at a recent nursery visit.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Brisbane, Australia

Sue, isn't that T.rothii colourful! I must put that on my ever growing wish list.

I found with Neville that he is quick to say no to plants that are difficult to grow, which is good. So I've had to cross out a couple on my list already. High on my list is T. Xerographica, but he doesn't have it, and says costs between $50 to $100. Guess that one will have to wait until I win the Lotto. The most expensive one I got was T. Tectorum, a very pretty bunch of pink bracts.

I have put quite a few tills on the log, but others I have saved for my tillandsia wall, which Barry helped me put up this morning. As you can see, I will need about 1,000 plants to fill it, but at least I have a good start.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Karen, I have a feeling that T. rothii could be one of those that the grower won't part with, and I think it was very slow to grow and produce offsets, but definitely worth the photo.
Your Tillandsia wall looks great. It will not take long to fill up, I bet! I see Tillandsia xerographica on Ebay fairly regularly. I always watch it too, and there is a seller on at the moment who has 8 of them for $40 buy-it-now. Of course, then there is postage, so yes, $50 sounds right. I like to see the plants I buy now, and get more fun visitng the growers and picking their brains. I just like to look at the pretty pictures on Ebay, and get an idea of what I can expect to pay, although I find MOST growers are more reasonably priced than Ebay auctions.
I also bought T. tectorum just recently, and I paid a higher price too! Still, it was the one thing I wanted from that particular seller, so I was happy to have that little wish fullfilled.
Decided on another bromeliad garden yesterday, with hubbys help and encouragement! But I have to get him to help with the finishing touches on the last one first, or it will never be quite finished! I was working on an idea up on a bank, at the rear of the property, but have decided to think about it a bit more before going any further, so I might go for hubbys idea in the meantime. Work is finally easing off a bit, while not good for the pocket, it gives me more time for my own gardens. Anyway, I promise to photograph anything I do, as always.
This is a beaut Tillandsia that I forgot to write the name down on! (stoopid), but I'll try to find it out.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Brisbane, Australia

Oh wow, Sue, you must have some real beauties there. That last one is a stunner too. I know some tills take many years to reach flowering stage. I guess I want ones that don't take so long, not that I'm impatient, just being practical.

What gets me with tills is that there are so many variations of just one variety. T. tectorum is one, and there is a huge version of it. Mine is the smaller, dainty version.

Will keep my eyes open regarding Xerographica. Never know what I might stumble across, hey!

Karen
This is my tectorum. It is quite silvery in the sun.

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Karen, I wish that last pic was at my house, but alas, it was not! Still, its not too far for a visit.
Your Tectorum looks great. I think mine is the smaller variety too, and it had a tiny pup forming, which got knocked off while I was tieing it to its mount. Darn! I saw alot of things I would love to have while at the nursery in my last pic, but either waaaay to expensive, or just not available. Its good to have a wishlist though.
This is the T. tectorum I saw in NZ at the Fiesta, that encouraged me to add one to my list.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Christchurch, New Zealand

there is an ad running on tv here at the moment for Plunket, shows a Plunket nurse visiting a young Mum at home & on the front porch are what look like nice big broms.
this link is to the video of the whole ad

http://www.plunket.org.nz/news-research/news/plunket-is-thrilled-to-feature-in-the-bnzs-new-tv-ads?tot=93

I don't know where this was filmed but definitely not in ChCh.

this link is to a web page that features a still pic showing the broms quite clearly

http://www.youtube.com/bnzstories/

Brisbane, Australia

Thank you for sharing, Teresa. I was drawn for another reason, as I am descended from the Irish Plunkett line. Those broms look very healthy, don't they.

Sue, I like how that one is mounted. I am always looking for natural "sculpted wood" pieces suitable for mounting tillandsias.

Karen

This message was edited Mar 24, 2011 4:00 PM

I love them all. Just don't have such a great choice to chose from.

Brisbane, Australia

Is it because of the colder climate there? Seems strange, as so many bromeliads and tillandsias are from central America, and south America. I've seen photos of them growing like weeds all over everything.

Karen

It's pitiful too. But that is how it is with tropicals. But we can still love them from afar.

Brisbane, Australia

Yes, and there are plants and trees I adore that only grow in cooler climates, not here. One off the top of my head is the beautiful Clematis vine. Would love to be able to grow that.

Karen

When mine blooms I will take you some pictures. Will that help???I'd love to do it. They are coming out of sleep so it won't be long.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.