CLOSED: DJ9'S WINTER ROBIN " IN FLIGHT " PT 6

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

My Day is about over time to shut down soon Get the kitchen cleaned up For another day winding down
Lets all hope that power will not go out on us . that wind is really strong .
so be safe & I'll be back in the morning .
susie

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Okay, the robin is again in flight.

I will dMail the conf # to Susie as requested.

I was delayed because a filling fell out of my tooth and I had to go to the dentist. Thank goodness there was an opening in their schedule.

After consolidation by merrymath (i.e. replacing the bubble envies with ziplocks) the robin contents fit easily into the box. I also replaced some of the gallon size bags with smaller bags if the contents fit in easily. I made a new label indicating the contents ID, stuck it on, then cut out the part of the original gallon bag with the contributor's handwriting and taped that on the new bag also.

Thank you. The robin had many perennials, which is what I needed. I added lots of tomato seed varieties (which is mostly what I have to offer) and some annual flower seeds.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

We are in BLIZZARD warnings. High winds (50-40 mph), whiteout conditions, have 13 inches right now. Airports closed. So un-common for us to get this much at one time, but this is the 2nd one in 2 years, and calling for another one the beginning of next week. The other one was not considered a 'blizzard' like this one is ... but we got about 10 inches that time. Buildings are collapsing. The new Hard Rock had the roof on the new poker room that hasn't been opened that long collapse! They said it was the size of 3 football fields. No one hurt, it had begun leaking water and they evacuated the area. I'm huddled down in the comfy recliner, fire in the fireplace, not going ANYWHERE! The farthest I venture is to take the fur babies outside to potty. One of them is 16 and blind, so it is especially hard on her. I am letting them potty on the patio because it just has a little snow on it. DH traveled across the road to feed the horses this afternoon. He went over at 3 a.m. and got their feed pans, so they weren't buried by snow. He is up all different hours of the night. lol Then down to chop ice.... grrrrrrrrrrrrr
This is suppose to continue all week ..... then up to 40 on Friday. Told my boss I was calling in 'snow' (instead of sick) for the rest of the week. :-)

Athens, PA

Crit

all week?

yep it will be awhile before many side roads get plowed witch we are on they say just main roads are being worked on at this time as soon as it gets light i have to shovel out to check on my critters I can see them up on their perches but they have a roof top over them but but the winds Are strong & At times Blow them off.

I know they have water for i have a heated water dish in their pen . I Put lots of New straw in the Barn for them but they do not want to go into the barn I feel sorry for the deer & Turkeies in the woods. we also have about 10-11 inches & It is really showing & Blowing.

bet that ground Hog Won't be able to get out of this burrow this morning so guess what :) EARLY SPRING
at lease we still have power there are some outages up around Grand Rapids.

well many forums to get to have a safe day to all .

susie

Yes Carolyn, all week. Our local TV station showed a picture of I-44/244, that goes through Tulsa, with semi's 3 wide, jack-knifed, 2 wide backed way up the interstate, because they cannot get through. Even with all the treating and grading, they weren't able to keep up. There are cars and trucks stranded everywhere. I realize the semi drivers are out making a living, but all the passenger vehicles, makes me wonder did they really have to be out in this????? It is a history making blizzard. I measured 13" in my back yard and it was still snowing. Took some warm water out to put in the bird bath. It is quite a standstill here. Official they just said on TV was 14" of snow. Temp last night was 1, right now it is 4 with -14 windchill, my digital thermometer says 3. Suppose to be about 10 today with wind chill staying around -14 and a low tonight -7 temp. Going to have that kind of temps on through Friday. Saturday is suppose to get near 40, then back to freezing at night. Turnpikes are closed down as well as the airport. They are using bulldozers and dump trucks trying to clear out down town Tulsa. Problem is, there is ice underneath it all. Not much relief in sight. We have another storm, not near the magnitude of this one, coming in Monday. We are in wind chill advisory's for the week. I don't like this..... I'm ready for spring! :-)

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

We didn't get what everyone said we were going to get and I'm disappointed! If ya say we're gonna get it..we better be getting it. grr. I want spring too but what an upset.

Erin

Wish I could share some of what we got with ya!

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

(((Crit)))) Oh you poor thing! All we got was .25 -.50 inch of ice and flurries. Kids here are out of school still today and will go back tomorrow. I've been watching all the reports from your area up to Chicago and thinking about you and Robyn -just stay safe -I think you have the best idea - just stay in and sit by the fire.

Thanks Janae!!!

WELL GOOD NITE ALL WILL BE BACK IN THE AM FOR CHAT & COFFEE :)
Hope mary made it sown to her daughters place before the storm.
Be safe everyone .

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thank you Carolyn and deejay for the birthday wishes in part 5. I am adding my thanks here in part 6.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday, Nisi :) Hope it was great.

I want my mail!!!!!!!! And I want my mail picked up!!!

Thumbnail by Crit

YAY!!! The robin has landed at my house!!!!!!!!! Well, people...I'm off to hibernate for a day or two in seed heaven.

Here's a link with amazing storm pictures from all around the country. It's compiled from the Chicago Tribune. The first one is just...wow!.....

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-40-most-amazing-pictures-of-the-blizzaster-of?s=mobile

I'll let you know when I send it on it's way to Anita......Happy dance time here :)

Di

Wow .... those are sooooooooooooooome pictures. Looks like some scenes from around here.

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

I'm next>?>?>?> my happy dance

GM all Coffees ready Just waiting for daddy to wake up he was up & down all night so I will let him sleep in

there was only mail delivery in town for the last couple days but now most of the back roads are clear Now ,,so mail will run in the country :)
& My Neightbor down the road who brings all my Dirt brought his Doser up & cleaned us out
all that is left in the driveway are huge tire tracks :) HEHE

Anita , as for the seeds there is a lady in canada that I'm doing a trade with. :)

well off to get breakfast soon so have a great day .
susie

Our neighbor works at a large machinery rental place. They had a bobcat over there yesterday clearing their driveway off. I was hoping they would knock on the door or just go ahead and do ours, but they loaded it up and took it back. :-(

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Well that was very neighborly of them! lol. I shoveled our whole driveway myself. My muscles hurt for a couple days but I'm back to normal. As normal as can be! =P

Erin

Well DI Must be Lost in the Sea of Seeds :))) Better send a rescue Group to dig her out :)))
Looks as maybe Anita should have it about Weds :))) So better ask for time off :))).
well my nephew has come back to Mich & So now I have help for the summer once again :) he's the only one who works For free ,but he knows his auntie is a softy so he gets his pay anyway :)
LOVE HIM & So happy he is back . he will be here soon to help me shovle off the roofs Just hope he don't fall through.

you all have a great day back later .

susie

The sun is shining, the sun is shining!!!!!! It's still 25* but feels better with the sun out. We are gonna have a heat wave in the next day or 2 ..... up to 33 and then the end of the week 34. CCOLD in between though.

Oakland, MD

It has been cold here and a lot of ice and snow ontop of that. Cant wait until spring will be here soon. I am excited i have everything i need to start my greenhouse indoors. This will be my first. I was able to get everything i need under $300. Got to love lowes.

Jennifer

Jen Are you using Heat Mats ??? I Decided not & Mine seem to be ok but i'm using the
HYDROPONICS CUBES for my Bigger seeds .
I have some Morning glories growing for some of my baskets & I want to start some of my petunias soon also .

I Do have about 8 Jugs filled & Out in the snow banks :) also have more jugs to fill think it is just a little soon to start any veggie seeds right now .
well got to get off here for a white back later

Thumbnail by deejay9

I put out my first ws jugs yesterday. Have about 10 more wet and ready to put seed in. This is my first time doing this so I'm excited. I also got a couple of those Jiffy trays to start some seed in there too.

We finally got above freezing yesterday. DH got my car out of the garage, so guess I get to go to work tomorrow. They have decreased our chances of snow today, but still have a good chance Tuesday/Wednesday. Suppose to get back down in the deep chill again too. At least we got a little melting of this round.

If anyone wants a good laugh, go to this thread on youtube. It is my granddaughter playing with her Rat Terrier. The funniest part is at the very end when you see the dog look over the edge and you hear this soft little 'ow'. I didn't hear it the first time, I was laughing so hard. Heard it when I replayed it for DH. Be prepared, she is a "squealer". lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXsh6LDPoKA

that is cute SNOWING GOOD HERE :)

Susie, I am working on Wednesday but I think I am off on Thursday. I will check out my calendar and let you know.

Weather just said storm coming in Tues. night into Wednesday could dump another 4-10 inches on us. UGH! Just got my car free from the garage yesterday!

just started a new adventure over on cubits thread .

http://cubits.org/DJS/

Doea anyone have Gaillardia Orange and Lemon seeds? I would like to WS some (thought I had them stashed) but I don't have any ;-(

I've dug my way out fo the seed mountain. Boy, am I a happy girl and just want to say thanks for all the ones people put aside for me and thanks for all the extras from everyone else. I didn't take too much out and put some back in. I really had fun with my first robin and can't wait to do it again next fall. Thanks to everyone for making this such a great experience!

Anita, I will be sending out the robin tomorrow unless you want me to wait a day or two.

Di

Janae we are only 150 miles apart. I'm curious to see how long it will take to get here.

No problem then, I'll send it out tomorrow. I would've loved to get together and hand-off the box to you but I am teaching classes for the next few days and I'm not sure how the roads are between us. Perhaps we can get together on the round two part.

That sounds like fun! What kind of class are you teaching?

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

I have a feeling that the nearest post office in nisiNJ vicinity is a major USPS hub. If so, it would have significantly shorten the robin's delivery time.

I will be visiting my local post office (definitely NOT a USPS hub ... but staff very friendly and strive provide the least expensive (fastest delivery if not cost prohibited) to send seeds to a few people in the robin plus 2 other traders and some seeds to daughter in N Carolina.

MARY

Hey mary great to have you back with us :))) Snowing again tonight Hope we don't get to much for i have to go for a blood draw tomorrow :( would be a shame to have to cancle :) HEHE

Hey Anita, I teach animal care, specifically rabbit care, to the local high school FFA classes. They have all our rabbits for the next two months and we do classes on care, breeding, genetics, commercial vs fancy, showmanship, and differences in feed proteins and additives. I love working with kids and this is a lot of fun. It's freshmen usually, but I've been asked to teach different ages as well.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2011 6:46 PM

rabbits bring back memories. my daughter used to raise and show rabbits when she was a kid. which of course meant i got up and hauled her and them to all the ARBA shows in the area. lots of fun.

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

I have a wild black lop ear baby boy. He loves it in the house. His name is Kesha. The kids named it before we knew it was a boy. oh well.

Thumbnail by momoftwo607

How cute! That neat Janae. My aunt raised rabbits. She allowed me to take one to school and keep ith there for the school year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.