CLOSED: DJ9'S WINTER ROBIN " IN FLIGHT " PT 6

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

WE CAME FROM HERE ::PT 5 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1149369/#top
WE CAME FROM HERE: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1145870/
WE CAME FROM HERE : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1143674/
GUIDELINES ARE HERE: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1134330/
WISH LIST HERE: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1126495/

Please all I Ask is for you all to be Curtious & Post when the robin arrives & When you have Put him hack in the air
PLEASE SEND ME THE conf# I will send the # 's to anyone wanting to keep track .

Also please post the week before the robin is do to land at your place so we know you are watching.
Most of all just have fun My PHONE # Is In the Robin if you are unable to get online to post .

YOU MAY USE YOUR OWN MAILING PRINT OUT ALL I ASK IS THAT YOU WILL DMAIL ME
THE CONF #

FLIGHT PATTERN FOR THIS ROBIN IS

RickCorey_WA--------WA---LANDED ---NOV 6 TH
SHERMAN99----------CALF--LANDED---NOV 10 TH
txaggiegal---------------TX-----LANDED --NOV 16 TH
LazLo---------------------TX----LANDED --NOV 16 TH
DMTOM-----------------TX---LANDED ----NOV 22 ND
DIRTYGIRL71----------FLA----LANDED --NOV 27 TH
BETHW336---------------NC-----LANDED---DEC 2 ND
LAVINAMAE --------NC-------LANDED----DEC 6TH
POISONDARTFROG---------KY--LANDED --DEC 13 TH
FRUITOF THEVINE--------VA---LANDED DEC 18 TH
GARDENSEEDER63---------NH----LANDED DEC 29 TH
JENNIFERSHIPWAY----MD------LANDED JAN 6 TH
MOMOFTWO607-----------NY-----LANDED JAN 10 TH
KOBWEBZ------------NY------LANDED JAN 13 TH
CAROLYN22------------PA----LANDED JAN 18 TH
IGROWINPA-------------PA------LANDED JAN 22 ND
MERRYMATH---------PA-------LANDED JAN 26TH
NisiNJ----------NJ------NJ------LANDED JAN 29 TH
JANAESTONE----------OH---LANDED FEB 3 RD
DIAMOND9192002-------IND---LANDED FEB 11TH
MAXINE--------------WI----LANDED FEB 14TH
DEEJAY9------------MI
********************************************************************************
IF YOUR GUESS IS DEAD ON THE DATE YOU WILL RECIEVE A GIFT CARD
TO USE AT YOUR LOCAL WAL-MART -LOWES-OR MENARDS YOUR CHOICE.

SO GET YOUR GUESSES IN SOON NO MORE GUESSES AFTER THE NOV 20TH. 2010

NISINJ--------------FEB 3 RD
GARDENSEEDER63------FEB 9 TH
LAVINAMAE-----------FEB 13 TH
BETHW336-----------FEB 16 TH
POISONDARTFROG---FEB 17 TH
FRUITOFTHEVINE------FEB 21 ST
SHERMAN99---------FEB 25 TH
DIAMOND9192002----MARCH 1 ST

This message was edited Feb 14, 2011 8:07 AM

Thumbnail by deejay9
Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

I think we're about to be snowed in. The news is saying nothing less than 8 inches and ice and sleet on top of that! I'm done with winter! 47 days til Spring. Couldn't come soon enough!

Athens, PA

Erin

I am so done with winter too. They say we are supposed to be hit with 2 storms, one right after the other and we are also supposed to get ice with the second storm.

Here is the Spring countdown. I know that I usually hear the robins before I see them and they are generally around the first weekend in March.

http://mycountdown.org/Other/Spring/

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Your countdown says 48 days and 9 hours and on the lily auction it says 47 days and 14 hours. I don't care which ones right. I just don't want this storm and no more cold.

Athens, PA

I am with you.....

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

What determines that it is spring? Is it the constant 50 degree temperature?

Athens, PA

It is the vernal equinox.

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the new thread. I'm leaving here around 3 pm to visit daughter in NJ (30 miles away) because I want to visit the Christnas Tree Shop that is less than 2 miles from her residence. Another snow storm is predicted for late tonight and another for Saturday ... so I must get while the getting is good ... like many, I am tired of the cold.

MARY

Yep I Just got home all stocked up the basics so Let it Snow I Have No Where to go :)
I Have Veggie stew on the stove & Sis Made daddy some WW Bread MMMMM So Super is Easy .

Egg salad for lunch today :) I'm Going to winter sow a few seeds this afternoon if i can keep sweetpea out of my dirt box .
have a great day all Looks as Robin should land once again about weds or thursday.

well off to the kitchen

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Quote from deejay9 :
Looks as Robin should land once again about weds or thursday.

More like Thursday. I am about 3/4 way through going thru others' seeds and then will be packing up my contributions--now that I see how others did it. Might mail this pm but more likely tomorrow am. My favorite part was handling the sweet basil seeds...and then my fingers smelled like summer!

Veggie stew is perfect for a cold day.

It Sure is so very very cold today 15 * right now & Its time for a coffee break . they are calling for 10-18 inches here by weds starting late tonight or tomorrow late afternoon. .

we are set unless power gose out then i will try to get online with my ipod & if that will not happen then you all are on your own till i can get back on :) HEHE.
well off to finish the laundry .
susie

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

RE: detailed 2-sided fine-print seed pkt labels.

My home printer just decided to start a new career as a shredder. It will take some time to discourage it! Besides, I don't like the blurry, water-soluble ink jet printers with $$$expensive$$$ ink cartridges and flimsy printers.

At work, the laser printer is clear and readable down to 7-8 point fonts or even smaller, with a magnifying glass!

What I do is to create an MS Word "table" that just fills one page. Then I copy it to the next page, and print "double-sided". Rows and columns are the same width and height, and I start each table exactly one row of 10-point-text below the top of the page.

That way, each cell lines up eactly with the cell on the other side of the page, and that doubles the amount of room I have for text in the label.

I forget how I got the left-right adjustment the same on both sides, but I did play with page margins. Looking back on the master doc from which I copy-paste new tables as I need them, the tables appear to be CENETERED on the page.

I started by just copying advice from the Botanical Interests seed pkts, or from the Zitazawa seed pkts. Then I started looking plants up in DG and online, adding info when it was confirmed by several sources. Eventually, I'll have enough experience of my own to add info!

It is so much easier when I get a seed in trade: there's hardly any info to copy!

Instead of making 12 big lables per page (3 rows of four colums of 2"x3" cells),
I print 30 labels per page (6 rows of 5 columns, just over 1.5" square).

All I know (until I look it up), is 2-3 words of common name plus who-it-came-from and the date.

Some of my labels may use these abbreviations:

DT drought tolerant, prefer fast-draining soil
WD needs well-drained soil
WW keep well-watered
"surface" needs light to germinate. Sow on surface, just press onto soil.

Unless otherwise stated, prefers or needs full sun.

I recently saw a usage that I'm going to copy:

[A] annual
[P] pretty hardy perennial
[TP] tender perennial

and I may start doing this:
[Pz6] perennial, hardy in Zone 6 and warmer
[Pz7-9] perennial in Zones 7 through 9

Corey

New Providence, IA(Zone 5a)

Dang, Corey, you are too on top of it.

Well, the snowstorm has started here in Iowa. Drove to "town" to get meds. and a few needed groceries. The grocery stores were bizzie. We are also supposed to get 2 storms out of this. So those of you east of here, it is for real and coming your way. Just heard the snowplow in the distance go by on the blacktop road. The east/west roads are snow-covered-north/south ones were just wet. AND, the snow is out of the east. We all know what that means. Snuggle in, folks.

ME

We are ready for it they say it will be here tomorrow about 1pm & Later well stew is served for anyone wanting to stop by :) well off to clean up the kitchen them its News & A Movie :)
Have a great evening .
susie

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I bet that, once I get a leg up on the actual GARDENING part, that I'll be a lot less interested in labelling pkts.

Tiny seeds, perennial seeds - GACK! They can be hard to start indoors and nurse into big plants. I hope that WSing and benign neglect are what they need!

I finally made up a batch of seed-sowing mix that looks well-draining enough. I used 8 quarts of "orchid mix", several grades of shredded bark plus quite a bit of Perlite, plus about 10-20% fine peat Jiffy-Mix. Screened it with a 1/4 screen. I wish I had "chick grit", but some sites advised against "dirty old non-sterile builder's sand" for seed starting, so I have left that out.

I now have 36 3.5" pots in three big tubs, and plan to WS many kinds of Penstemon and hardy Salvia (starting tender saliva indoors and hoping it needs no startification). I figure I can sow 9-12 seeds in a 3.5" pot, and if 3-6 actually sprout, I'll be thrilled.

Corey

Corey if you have an ace lawn & garden store go over to the bird feed you can bu chick grit for about $1.39 for a 3# bag . or that is what I Get it for . you might be able to order it on line also I get a 40# $13.00 .

well time to go lay back
back for coffee :)

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

Well I got a surprise today. Back in Sept 25, I posted a site that offered free samples of cucurbits. No one new anything about them so I went ahead and requested some samples. They arrived today. You get three samples of 20 seeds. Cucurbits are squashes and melons.

Here's the link:

http://hollarseeds.com/sample-request

I'm impressed with their packaging, mylar type, zip lock with pictures and info. Twenty seeds per pack. They say they are for testing purposes and the seeds are treated.

I got Tamara F1 melon, Dewlightful F1 Honeydew melon and a pack of Sebring F1 Summer squash (40 days to edible maturity).

Worth checking out.

Dane

It's snowing here Susie and everyone east of here. They are calling for blizzard like conditions. I just hope the weatherman is wrong. LoL

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

I'm hoping they are wrong too! I don't want to see any of it. I would probably feel different if I didn't have to go to work wednesday. =/

Me too! Today is my first day back from vacation! I have to work the next 4 days. By the time the snow clears I will be off. LoL So how is this going to affect the RR? Do you think the blizzard will last until March 1? LoL

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Quote from diamond9192002 :
So how is this going to affect the RR?

As long as I can get it to the post office, it will arrive at its destination. Snow is not supposed to be an obstacle for the USPS. What is the slogan? "Neither rain, nor snow, nor ......"

NisiNJ, lol I guessed the March 1 date for the contest. I don't want to delay Maxine getting the RR but if I should happen to win the contest, I would not be upset. LoL

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

I've been watching this storm and it's not looking good at all! Everyone stay safe and stay home if you can. Anita, weather channel says your (state) getting it all. I'm thinkin' of ya! Going to bed and see what it looks like in the morning.

Erin

Erin, we were just out in it and it's not pretty out there. The wind is fierce!!! I cannot imagine what its going to be like tomorrow for kids who have to stand on the bus stop. Hopefully, school is cancelled.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Susie,

>> ace lawn & garden store go over to the bird feed you can bu chick grit for about $1.39 for a 3# bag

Cool! There is a small Ace Hardware, and I don't check it often because it is so small. But now that I think about it, they've had things I couldn't find elswhere. Thanks!

I've given up on ordering heavy things online!.

Corey

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> They are calling for blizzard like conditions.

So that's why there've been so many blizzards!

Please tell them for me:

"Stop calling for more snow!
We've already had more than we wanted."

Corey

Well As you can see I Could not sleep been awake since 4 am so i findly got up made coffee & here i 'am .
they say we won't get hit till about 1 pm or so today .
we did get about an inch or so during the night for there is fresh snow on the Deck . & it is so so cold out there
it will be a Pancake morning for my critters or maybe some grits :) hehe.

As for the mail It might take an extra day for the robin but no matter Looks as if the Robin Might Arrive About the 15 th or 16 th of March Possible :)

Sound as if I Woke daddy so guess i better help him find his way out to his chair you all have a great day stay warm & Stay safe .
PS Dane I Would LOve to try a few SQUASHES If You Have extra Melons do not do well up here. for me .
I LOve all types of Squash .
susie

I HAVE A VALENTINES TO SHARE :)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152693/

COME CHECK IT OUT
SUSIE

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

School was cancelled for today. Thank God! It's a mess out there. Stay safe everyone!

Erin

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Now the weather channel is saying 2 feet of snow for us. I don't think going to work tomorrow is going to happen. We'll wait and see though.

Athens, PA

Erin-

Nineveh - I know I have been by there. Where is Nineveh? Are you on the way to Syracuse? Watertown?

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

down by binghamton

Athens, PA

Erin -

that's why...... Binghamton is 40 minutes Northeast of me...... usually we are on the way to Watertown or Syracuse if we are up that way. Occasionally we will go to the Oakdale Mall. Typically we are at the Arnot Mall in Elmira.

Howdy neighbor!

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Howdy! =D 46 days until SPRING!

New Providence, IA(Zone 5a)

The second wave of snow has started...as predicted. The wind has been blowing all morning, but is predicted to get even stronger. Hold onto your hats all of you east of me. Its a'comin'.

just very windy & Cold here right now still no snow yet .
back to the kitchen chat later

I'm feeling the wind already!

winds are very hi here also

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Just got done shoveling the driveway. Waiting for the second half of the mess. Maybe after this storm it will be all warm and thawing. lol I can dream! 46 days til spring

Athens, PA

What is nice is that we are generally into some decent weather before the actual first day of Spring........

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.