November Weather Winter looms!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

31° and breezy!
Through 10am: Partly cloudy with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the mid 30s.
A mix of clouds and sun with gusty winds. High 52°. Winds SW at 20 to 30 mph.
Sunrise: 6:59 am Time Until Sunrise: 2 hrs 31 min.

Sally Sun, praying daily that you are getting along with the treatments! Praying hard that it will work!! Rest, be pampered and come back good as new!

Chrissy, don't you love the weathermen's "Future Cast" predictions? At least the rain was a good thing!

Rusty, I'm with you on so cold. I've been wearing thermals already!

Ima, those mid 60's sound wonderful. Bettter than the low 50's! We aren't getting any of that rain. I have brief bursts and then nothing :o(

The chicken soup will be wonderful! It is absolutely comfort food! Now I have sauerkraut to eat! That would go well with your polish sausage.

Celia, ~ ~ How warm the insulation will feel!

Ric, the forcast is good for those who are home with a hot bird in the oven, but not those travelling :o(

Oh Pepper, what's the matter with your poor truck. I hope they can get it fixed and on their dime this time!! LOL with you :o)

Bernie, you are a miracle worker! Hope you post a picture anyway.

My sauerkraut was a success. It was done in just under 4 weeks and tastes great!! That was 15# of cabbage. I transfered it to a gallon pickle jar, two quart jar and a large bowl, to store in the fridge.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Good job on the 'kraut, BP!

Waving to everyone~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have two mystery shops to do today so I have to get busy.

Sunny and highs in the mid-sixties today. Yesterday was overcast, windy and cooler but it should be a lovely day today! :o))

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Good Morning Everyone!

Wow BP, good thing I don't like kraut. lol

Pep that sucks about your truck, who was the person who fixed the bearings and hubs last time?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

My dad fixed it last time. The bearings only went bad because the hubs had bad seals on them. It's all fixed now. My mechanic came by work today and switched trucks with me. I wish he would work on my dad's truck as a Christmas gift but that's not gonna happen. LOL

Today was sunny, cool, around 55 or so with a strong breeze all day.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi guys! Sunny today, 60F. It was foggy this morning but now it's gone.
SallyBP, congratulations for the sauerkraut! I can't believe the soup in the jars is keeping for years in that place. It's good to know!
Mau, can't wait to hear about your adventures as a mystery shopper!
Ric, I like the Santa Nicholas name! Yesterday my neighbor showed me his new doggie, a pup which you suggested I might take in my yard : Romanian Carpathian Shepherd!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Adina: you can read about my mystery shopping on the private thread at that other place. :o)) I can't really talk about them publicly and this is a public thread. Love the Carpathian Shepherd--so pretty and lots of fur!! Looks like a dog that should be in a cold-weather place.

Overcast and foggy here. Not that cold but the dampness seem to go right through your bones! :o(( We are supposed to have a high of 70F today but I hope the sun comes out soon or we won't make it to 70.

(Zone 7a)

A beautiful dog your neighbor has there.

A storm is starting across the country. Hitting us tomorrow with a possiblity of 18" of the white stuff. Heading to the grocery store today.

This message was edited Nov 20, 2010 8:35 AM

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks on the kraut. We've almost eaten the casserole dishful already!

Pepper, I wish that Christmas gift for you too :o)

Adina, as long they stay sealed, they keep a long time! What a beautiful dog!!

Marsue, we're having that damp cold air now. It does go to the bones!

Celia, she's so ADORABLE!!! What a smile!!

I forgot weather earlier, so here it is now.

Overcast, cold East wind with a high of 44*

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Love her Celia!
Course who doesn't love happy babies!

Foggy Foggy morning.
100 miles of Fog. Very dense at times.
Temps never broke out of the 40's, clouds never broke.
Had two deer run in front of us about 1/2 way up to Urbana.
Not close but certainly not needed.
It got to 58° down here and Sunny.....errrrrrrrr

Next weekend will see the GH airtight.
And hopefully the trim/exterior finished.
The black and white bottom will be covered w/ log trim.
We'll be pulling the white center trim/channel and painting it Hunter Green to match the window.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
noonamah, Australia

All this talk about cold weather! Every time I open the fridge now I think of all of you. I suppose it'll soon be when I open the freezer door.

Have been getting a bit of rain. Less than average and it's very hot in between. Today's minimum was 23.7C (74.7F). Yesterday's maximum was 35.1C (95.2F). Today, just after midday, it's got to 35.1C again, so far. Heat index got to 44.5C (112.1F), it could also climb before the day is out. A few days ago it got to 46.5C (115.7F).

Humidity is high but I would still like more rain. So far for this month 91.4 mm (3.60 inches). Average from my records is 141.3 mm (5.56 inches). But there's still just over a week to go.

Working out in the garden during the day isn't very appealing now. I bought myself a work style floodlight so I can make up during the night what doesn't get done in the day. The work keeps piling up whatever the weather.

Adina, looks like you're lining up Nicholas up for some early work experience.

Sally Sunfarm, good to see you're progressing. Always better to be able to stay with family while you're going through these treatments. I had to go into hospital last year some 5000 kilometres away. Luckily I had a friend living near there, it made such a difference.

SallyBP, I like sauerkraut but you can't buy good stuff these days. And I'm not the type to make it, although my mother was good at it.

Henry, the GH looks great. But I notice the timber goes to the ground. You don't have termites there?

I finally put another article up on the other site, about turtles this time, the seafaring kind. I've expanded that site to include all our reptiles and amphibians.

http://cubits.org/crocodiles/articles/view/752/

This is one of our wild flowers which is flowering all over the place now, Abelmoschus moschatus, Native Rosella.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

42° with a high of High 58°
Through 10am: Cloudy with temperatures rising towards the upper 40s.
Patchy morning drizzle possible. Generally cloudy. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph.
Sunrise: 7:01 am
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 5 min
Moon Bright!

Hoping to hang the last two trees with Christmas lights. If not, I still have two or three weeks to wait for nice weather.

Ric, very lucky to not hit the deer! The greenhouse, I could live in it. Watching it snow thru the windows, priceless!

Tropic, I was thinking about you yesterday :o) ROTFL! I qualify for the freezer since I've already been wearing thermals! That is too hot!

This kraut was good! Last year no, and it didn't smell like dead mouse, so we were able to do it in the house. The key is to really stomp it and break the fibers. I have an admiration for the women who churned butter. My arms got tired!

I adore turtles!! Even the ugly snappers! Another great article!!

Lovely flower. Is this called Flower Of An Hour? It's similar to the weeds we have. So pretty, but they can take over, as I found :o)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Lovely weather here today. A nice thin coating of ice on everything. 31º
Twin cities got hit the worst. 300 plus accidents, one of over 30 cars, & 160 off the road. Even sanding truck drivers were having trouble getting to their trucks.
Supposed to go above freezing this morning, so should thaw off.
I'm tearing apart a bedroom today. Last room downstairs to remodel. It is old lath & plaster, so makes a big mess!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Celia: Aurora is precious.!! When my son was about 6 mos. old, he had a hairdo just like Aurora's! LOL
Ric; good job on the GH!
Tropic: laughing about you thinking of us everytime you open the fridge or freezer!
Bernie: ice on everything makes it so hazardous! Even so, you manage to stay busy, don't you? :o)

I think the weather liars are at it again. It sure doesn't feel nearly as warm as they say it is. It is cloudy and damp which makes it seem so much colder. Feels like 45F to me. :o((
Today: Generally cloudy. High 72F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph.
Tonight: Mostly cloudy. Low 57F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph.

I was looking at the extended forecast and "they" are saying we will have highs near 70F through Wednesday and then on Thursday the high will be in the mid-40's!! I guess Celia is sending us her cold weather! You can have it back Celia, LOL

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It warm here and I just open some windows to breeze inside for fresh air before it will hit rain tonight...

Joplin Regional Airport
Lat: 37.18 Lon: -94.5 Elev: 982
Last Update on Nov 21, 10:53 am CST

Overcast and Breezy

67 °F
(19 °C)
Humidity: 73 %
Wind Speed: S 23 G 31 MPH
Barometer: 29.92" (1012.5 mb)
Dewpoint: 58 °F (14 °C)

This Afternoon: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 68. Breezy, with a south wind between 18 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Tonight: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 60. South wind around 18 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph.

Monday: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 69. Southwest wind 17 to 20 mph decreasing to between 9 and 12 mph. Winds could gust as high as 28 mph.

Monday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. Southwest wind between 4 and 7 mph becoming calm.

Can you believe on Thanksgiving will be chilly:

Thanksgiving Day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 35.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 21.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Perfect day here.
66° Sunny all the windows are open.

Yesterday in des moines it was cloudy and temps in mid 40s. Down here it should have reached at least the 50s. Today in des Moines it reached 50s, cloudy and the occasional spit of rain. Down here probably in the low 60s and cloudy. If it rained it quit early.

VooDoo Doll tropical hibicus.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Beautiful hib, Pepper!

(Zone 7a)

Loving all the pics and stories! Too tired to comment on everything. We've spent the last 2 days at a gun show and getting rid of snow on the walks and driveway. We got many things including a new handgun. A Springfield XD subcompact 9mm. Perfect for home and self-defense.

Mau, we've been calling her Fauxhawk Bebe. I don't want the snow. That's why I sent it away. ^_^

Cold, snowy, breezy. 34º now and 100% chance of more snow for the next 3-4 days.

11" that has compacted/melted down to 8". Darrell shoveled a path for me to the GH and the shed. Thanks, Love!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
noonamah, Australia

Sally, I remember when I was a little kid my mother got into making butter. We lived in a dairy area and she'd get the milk direct from the farm. I think later she found it easier on her arm to just reach up onto a supermarket shelf. I did some Green Turtle monitoring as well, we called it "Turtle Rodeo". You'd be on the bow of a speeding boat weaving through coral reefs chasing speeding turtles (they swim fast) and then leap into the water and grab them, hopefully. You had to have gloves on as sometimes you only got handfuls of coral. Doing the Flatback Turtles, as in my article, was a far more docile activity.

Since the advent of frost-free fridges I can only get my 'fix' of snow from photos, thanks Kwanjin. Although, it looks a lot like soap suds. You didn't overload your washing machine with detergent?

Marsue, that's okay,and I know not to stick my tongue out at anyone while I've got my head in the freezer.

There was rain all over the place today, heavy even, but none at my place. Lot of cloud around and lots of sun. Hardly any wind though.

Minimum temperature 23.9C (75.0F), maximum 35.9C (96.6F)

Heat index up to 44.9C (112.8F)

Early tomorrow I'm off to work, gone for a fortnight. Got this photo of sunset at my place this evening to carry me through until I get back.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

42° with a high of 60° Thunder lightning and rain at 4:20 am

Through 10am: A steady rain around 7am, then scattered thunderstorms developing. The thunderstorms should end around mid-morning. Cloudy with temperatures warming rapidly into the low to middle 50s.

Areas of dense morning fog. Cloudy with a few showers. SSE winds shifting to WSW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Sunrise: 7:02 am Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 27 min

Bernie, ice first. That's terrible! It will be nice to get the room re-done. I can still hear plaster chunks falling when Dad put paneling up in our bedroom.

Marsue, the weather liars never give up :o(

Rusty, I miss being able to just open a door for that fresh air!

Ric, ditto to Rusty :o)

Pepper, I love the colors in the Hibiscus bloom!

Celia, I love how you've gone all security :o) I love Aurora's nick-name! No wonder she beams! 8'' left! Darrell is indeed a love!

Tropic, smiling over the arm reaching. I used to ask my Aunt if I could churn butter and everyone left the room when she set it up for me :o) She had a jar with a handle that cranked the paddles. I thought it was neat!

Turtle rodeo, perfect name! It makes me smile to picture it. ROTFL over the soapsuds and stuck tongue!! What a lovely sunset, sigh...

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Celia: love Aurora's nick-name! LOL Snow, snow, and more snow! too early in the season for me! Self-defense items are a good option in my book!
Tropic: laughing at "not sticking my tongue out when my head is in the freezer" remark. Reminds me of a story my late DH used to tell on himself: One time when he was little, on a frosty day, he actually stuck his tongue to a metal pole on the playground at his school! Eventually, he got un-stuck and he never did that again! LOL

Up in the mid-to high 70's today with 30% chance of rain later this afternoon and tonight. Cold front coming in on Thursday.

(Zone 7a)

Sally, we live in a pocket of civility surrounded by gangs, thieves and general thugs. As long as we're here, we need to keep aware. I guess that should go for anywhere one lives, though. ^_^

Cold this morning, 32º and just past Dyson dark.

A better pic of one of the paths.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Marsue, guilty here of just touching my tongue, but still pulling off a tiny bit of skin getting loose. NEVER NEVER again!

Celia, we live in a small town with little crime. I couldn't imagine living in a larger crime area, but I do worry people from other towns finding us.

You were Dyson Dark, and snowy!

(Zone 7a)

Lucky you!!! On top of living in a high crime area, we love to go shooting. It's just recently we've been able to afford it. LOL

My dad used to be a Mystery Shopper! He thought it was fun but ran out of places as he knew A LOT of people. Shoot, I should do it, I'm kinda new here and I don't know but a few people. hhhhmmmmmmm

Cold and windy today. Rain is west and south of us but didn't look like much on radar.

Got my truck fixed last week. My mechanic basically had to replace the whole wheel assembly from what I understand. It was all messed up in there. Plus fuel filter and change the oil. Needless to say the bill was high enough to knock everyone speechless. lol.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Getting so colder here:

Today: Sunny, with a high near 57. Wind chill values as low as 27 early. East wind between 7 and 11 mph.

Tonight: A slight chance of showers, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after midnight. Increasing clouds, with a low around 47. East wind between 8 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Well, I was in bathroom and saw tiny creature running around and Rusty try to catch it and I saw that it was mouse in bathroom and couldn't find it where the mouse goes so it hide whole time in shower curtain! I knew it there and I shaking it and run so quickly and Rusty and JuJu trying to catch it and I laugh at dogs is fail to get the mouse!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

29° Feels Like: 18° High 35°
Precip: 0.17 in (est.)
Through 10am: Mostly clear with temperatures reaching the upper 20s.
Today: Partly cloudy skies. High near 35F. Winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph.
Sunrise: 7:03 am
Moon Bright!

Sally Sun, (((HUGE HUG))) and I hope all is well!

Celia, I had to smile. Are you secret vigilantes, because sometimes I think people shoud just be vigilanted instead of getting their day in court.

Chrissy, I'd rather shop a stranger than a home town Mom and Pop. Try it!

Oh Pepper, that's a big shock. I'm so sorry! I would call the company and state flat out that you shouldn't have to pay full price because the seals were admittedly bad. DH did this when the transmission seal went bad on DD's car. It wasn't new, but we hadn't had it very long. Give it a try and hold firm till they give in at least a little.

Rusty, I'm hating the cold already! ROTFL over the mouse hunt! There's no better activity for an animal!

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone! It's Dyson dark and raining buckets. Still not too cold, 50F.
Rain comes and goes, sometimes turns into a storm....grrr!
Celia, I understand why you don't want snow!LOL We can't afford guns, but the doggies are the best weapon we could have for thieves. I still have issues after the break-in we had 2 years ago.
Rusty, what fun ! I always have fun when I'm watching the dogs chasing mice on the field. Some are eating them, but Trica is playing with them...her goes up on his back feet and holds the mouse with his front paws while the mouse screams!LOL
SallyBP, your DH did well for your DD's car!
Pepper, good advice from Sally, I hope you can do that.
Tropic, I still haven't read your article, had to write 3 for DG. Now I'm in break, so I'll go and read yours.
Posting some mums I used in my article, from our friend Jules/Singingwolf, Trois daughter. She has a great farm with a pumpkin patch. Here's the link to her website, if you want to see :

http://www.wickerdfarm.com/

If you would like to google it (so it would come up first when googling), would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 7a)

Blizzard Warning in effect from 3pm this afternoon to 8am MST Wednesday... 8"-12" of snow accumulation expected. 37º now with 41º for the high. Temps are expected to plummet into the low teens and single digits accompanied by high winds. Wind chill possibly to reach -11º.

It's windy now and gusts could reach to 70mph. I'm staying inside, Darrell has to work today but may not go tomorrow if the snow gets too bad. 4WD will only take you so far and I get anxious when he's out in bad weather.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

LOL Rusty! That's too cute!

The northern half of Arkansas was in a tornado watch from 8pm to 3am last night, don't know if any tornadoes ever happened, we were supposed to get the worst of it at midnight, it came through between 4 and 6am and it dumped buckets, absolutely poured!

I don't know if I want to put the time into it BP, I have a full time Mon - Fri job already and I'm not sure I want to do more. When Dave goes back to work maybe I will then, depending upon his shift.

I agree with Adina, that is good advice Pep, you might want to do that.

Pretty Adina!

Ug Celia! That's some nasty weather, hope Darrell makes it home ok. Do they have Inclement Weather Days they're given or does he have to take a sick or vacation day?

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Oh dear, Oh dear not to be freezing raining tomorrow:

Tonight: A slight chance of showers, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after midnight. Increasing clouds, with a low around 46. East wind around 14 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Wednesday: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before noon, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 68. South wind between 13 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Wednesday Night: Rain showers likely before 3am, then a slight chance of rain or freezing rain between 3am and 4am, then a slight chance of freezing rain after 4am. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. Wind chill values as low as 18. North wind between 13 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no ice accumulation expected.

As the weather new said it will be freeze rain after 12 am....

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Rusty, Cats laugh at dogs trying to catch mice too!
It's just not in their job description....

Celia I hope the blizzard turns out not to be a big deal.
But man that is some storm brewing up!
Be safe! Stay warm!

After the rain squall moved thru last night it turned out to be not such a bad day.
Sunny and 55°.
Cold weather is moving in though.
30's for Friday.

I asked my dad about the hubs and he said it's too late now for these hubs. My mechanic has them and they are in his scrap pile.

Coolish today, around mis 40s and sunny. Strong breeze, gusty at times. Slim chance of rain tomorrow with highs around 60. On Thanksgiving our high will be 32 with lows in the teens.

Awwww!! Old man Whiskers fast asleep and in hog heaven on my lap. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi! Thank you everyone for your warm welcome. It is sincerely appreciated!
Greetings to all! Hope everyone is doing well.

I had wished for a warm winter.....well it was in the high 70's today. It is supposed to be in the high 30's Friday morning. We haven't put up our wind curtains yet on the patio, so I hope the tropicals will be OK. We may have to get them up soon.

I've been trying to get the house ready for Thanksgiving........we're pretty much on schedule. We're baking pies tomorrow: Pumpkin, and apple. We cheated and bought a pecan and sweet potato pie.

Love all of the pictures! So cute! Pepper, sorry to hear about your truck. I too love the knockout roses. Mine are still going strong. My yellow jasmine is really blooming! It's just about taken over the gazebo roof (formerly the hut).

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Jeanne

(Zone 7a)

Rusty, you stay warm, too! Get those doggies near you and snuggle down.

Ric, I hope not, as well. It's stopped snowing for now but more is coming. I think we have about 5" out there with more on the way. The cold is what's going to be bad.

Tonight
Windy. Snow and a slight chance of thunderstorms in the evening...then snow after midnight. Blowing snow through the night. Much colder. Accumulation 4 to 8 inches. Lows 5 to 10 above. Northwest winds 25 to 35 mph decreasing to 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

It is 24º now.

Pepper, I get such a kick out of the kitties! He looks so comfy...

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well the weather here turned into the pits!
Temps never left the mid 30's
Started sprinkling a bit around 11AM.
Just as I returned from a truck run.
Downpour by noon.
I got called out again at 2:30 for a pick up 30 miles north.
Holiday traffic, pouring rain and an unfamiliar location..... not good.
It took me 30 minutes to get 10 miles...
Once I broke out of the traffic and wrecks it went well.
Picked up and headed cross country to get home.
Drove the route we usually take home from Joyce's place.
Traffic northbound was gridlocked for 60 miles.
Luckily I was going south! lol!
Got back to the shop about 5:15 this evening.
On a good day it would have been about an hour and a half.
But hey won't kick about the overtime!

Looks like a high near 65 tomorrow and rain.
Flood watch continues.

Breads are rising in the kitchen.
Probably go in about 11PM.
Ric

It rained, it was cold, then decent, then warm again. This afternoon fog started rolling in and around 5pm it was so thick it was like gray soup. We were gonna go to a friend's house tonight to measure for appliances but the fog is too thick.

My friend finally started remodeling her place last weekend and my parents and I decided that for Christmas we would replace her stove and fridge. We decided that we couldn't afford to do both so we are gonna try to do the fridge. She has no clue that we are actually replacing it, she just thinks we are keeping an eye out for deals. I have friends that I am gonna ask to chip in on the stove and we will put them in together one day when she's not home and suprise her. Her appliances are original to her place (over 20 years old) and are either broke or on their way.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

What a LOVELY gift Pep!
Kudos!

(Zone 7a)

I love what you're doing for your friend! So much better than the traditional gift exchange.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.