November Weather Winter looms!

noonamah, Australia

Crissy, long ago I decided I was too much of a wimp to cope with cold weather. I lived here when a young fella, travelled around, then ended up back here. Summer year round without having to move, a dry summer and a wet summer. Now the wet summer is starting.

Sashagirl, I've always loved mangos, but don't recommend it as a business enterprise. There's a saying here, "TO MAKE A LITTLE MONEY FROM MANGOS FIRST START OFF WITH A LOT OF MONEY". I didn't start off with a lot of money, but I sure have little now.

Sally, with mangos a lot depends on variety and growing conditions. Commercially they're picked very early as closer to ripe they bruise very quickly. I gave up producing them commercially but still have a lot of trees. Mostly Kensington Pride and R2E2, with a few Nam Doc Mai, and a few more "Strawberry".

After all the early rain here we're suddenly back to dry (no rain) but still high humidity and very little cloud cover.

Minimum this morning was 23.3C (73.9F), maximum this afternoon 36.1C (97.0F), with heat index reaching 44.1C (111.4F). Was working outdoors today, but as you can see from the photo the setting made it worthwhile. After finishing I climbed up and had a dip in one of the pools at the top of the falls. Life's not bad really.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Tropic, sometimes life doesn't get much better! Beautiful falls!

noonamah, Australia

I've just got to get this in as well Sally. To top off the day, when I got home from work I checked my Amorphophallus garden, this A. paeoniifolius was in full flower. I'm absolutely over the moon!

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Tropic, it's FABULOUS!! I've never seen such a cap on one. It must be powerful fragrant!

I had an amorphophallus bulb and I finally had to let it go. The umbrella foliage was so pretty, and so was the bloom, but ''dead mouse'' just got overpowering! I had to put it on the sideporch in the middle of winter. If it had only bloomed in the summer.

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

72 here today. Here's a link about November Meteor Mahyem
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/astronomy/2008/11/03/meteor-shower-mayhem/

Tropic that sounds like Hawaii! I'm going to look for a house down there :) LOL

Oh, Mau's computer is down again, she took it to the same guy who fixed it last week.

Here's what's going on with Carnival Splendor today. That was a 7 day Mexican Riviera Cruise and Carnival is going to refund everyone's money Plus give them a free cruise for an equal or lesser value anywhere they want to go. I'd say they're taking care of it.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/41369/fair-weather-for-towing-strand.asp

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Forecast today is 76 for a high, 53 for a low. I agree with you Crissy, too warm for mid-November.

Rain tomorrow, and temps start to go down then. We're expecting 32 Saturday night. I guess this might be our last warm day, Billy.

Fire warnings continue. No one seems to be burning here either, Pepper. I'm kinda surprised...it seems like there's always someone who wants to burn their leaves and takes a chance. That happens more in the Spring, I guess.

Kwanjin - I love snow! But maybe that's because DH does most of the shoveling and I just help. LOL

Tropic - I have never seen an A. paeoniifolius. What a cool plant! No wonder you're over the moon! Beautiful falls, too! Nice that you got to take a dip. I think with 111.4F heat index I'd stay in the water all day! LOL I can handle cold better than heat. I wimp out at 80F. :-P

Vernal, UT

well ty for the warm welcomes. i wish it were still warm here in vernal.it finaly snowed and stuck last night.

its only 28* here.. ( burrrrrrrr!!!!!) and its suposed to snow again today..
well thank you again and you will hear from me soon.

BBBUUURRRRRRRRRRR!!!

It's 73 here right now.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We'll have two more days of Indian Summer then back to Fall temps.
We hit 72° which is 15° over normal.
Our night temps though have been about normal at upper 30's.

Tropic that's a Lovely setting!
Love the stinker!
I'm growing 2 of them but the bulbs are FAR too little yet to flower.

Ric

Tropic,
You live in Paradise! Beautiful, beautiful surroundings.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Bernie threw me off earlier by posting in Central Midwest and I almost posted the weather over there. LOL. I'm sooooo confused this week!!! LOL.

Today was a bit cooler with temps only in the mid 60s and cloudy. Looked like it was gonna bust loose with rain a few times but it never did. We need the rain too. It's very dry and very dusty around here. I just washed my truck the other day and you can't even tell. LOL

Blooming no more!!

Thumbnail by pepper23
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Okay, I'll post it here too.
Finished the siding on DD house today.
Then came home & worked in the shop for a while. I now have 5 base cabinets & 6 upper ones done for the big kitchen. We also ran a bunch of the ¼ sawn oak through the planer. Boy is that wood pretty!
Weather is ah chang'in! Wind is from NW & cooling off fast. No snow in the forecast yet.
High today was another record for this date. Must have been 60 some.

Here's a pic of the finished house.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Nice work Bernie!
Turned out perfectly.

32° and clear heading for 70°

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Bernie, looks great!
Tropic, that's a wonderful bloom!
SallyBP, is that car from your DH's private collection?

Cloudy today, but still too warm for this time of year, 69F. I had to water the mums, still no rain.
Little Nicholas had a cold, he's OK now!LOL

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Another warm day (lower 70s) predicted here before the front comes in and knocks us down to more seasonable temps. I hope it brings some much-needed rain, as well.

AAWW Adina he's so cute and growing like a weed! Glad he's ok from his cold, poor little guy!

Poo Pep, no more blooms. Tis the season I guess, just a slew of leaves to clean up.

Bernie the house looks awesome!!

Another warm day here too, high of 75 and sunny.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Now we need to get the inside done so they can use it. But it's a pay as you go, so they need to wait until they have more money.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

51* all day, coudy breezy and a definate change in temps.

Chrissy, thanks for the info on Mau. That's too bad about that bug.

Pepper, smiling over being thrown off by Bernie.

Bernie, I'll bet the wood is just gorgeous! What a beautiful house!

Adina, he is growing fast! I hope his cold didn't make him too crabby!

Sally Sun, we need rain too!

Bernie, at least they pay and don't go over their budget. Smart!

RAINING!!!! Whooo hoooo!!!! It's colder too. Was nice this morning then a cold front moved in and dropped the temps down a bit.

JcPenny's has a new thing going on for the holidays this year. You can adopt a senior or child and help them out by buying them clothes or other items they need. They teamed up with The Salvation Army to do this. Here is a link in case anyone is able to help someone in your area. A pretty neat idea.

http://angel.jcpenney.com/search.aspx?cm_ven=SITEWIDE%20OFFER&cm_cat=1104ANGEL&cm_pla=BDY&cm_ite=adopt%20your%20angel

I'm hoping for some rain too, but it's still warm and sunny...not that I don't like it!LOL
Now I got a cold too...ugh! I need to get well ASAP, I still have so much cleaning to do!
Thanks, Crissy and SallyBP!
Sallysun, how are you feeling? you're still in my prayers everyday.
Pepper, what a great idea!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

45°. Cloudy with a few showers. High around 60°. Winds ENE at 10 to 20 Showers this evening, becoming a steady rain overnight.
Low 43°. Winds E at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%.
Sunrise: 6:50 am Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 47 min
Dyson Dark.

Pepper, I'm waiting for your rain! That is a neat way to help. Thanks for the link!

Adina, such a pretty Mum! I've really enjoyed yur colors!

The sidewalk is wet from a small cloud that passed over us. I sure hope it tracks more easterly or we aren't going to get much more than that.

I have two chickens thawed for the stew pot today. Marylyn had been talking chicken soup and it sounds so good!!

We were at an old wagon trail cemetery a couple of weeks ago and they had the neatest headstones. We didn't know the story till we came home and looked it up. It was so neat to just see stone after stone with such different carvings than we're used to seeing.

This one tugs at your heart. It's storks.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for inquiring, Adina. I had the port implanted Wednesday (still a bit sore) and will have my first treatment in the clinical trial Monday. I will be staying with my son about half the time if things go well, as he lives near the clinic where the drug trial is being held. That should be interesting for both of us. I hope I can get on line without too much difficulty, as I want to keep track of what is going on with friends all over the world.
Weather is staying warm for a few more days--in the 70s again today and tomorrow, according to the forecast. My eldest DD and DH will do the weather recording and reporting while I am not at home.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I'm back again after being offline all week. My laptop is still in the shop but my DD is letting me use hers while she is away from home this week-end. She dropped it off today when she brought her dog for me to dogsit. I'm too far behind to comment on everything but if I haven't already welcomed our newcomers, then I say "welcome" to you!

Sunfarm, big hugs to you and we will definitely be thinking of you and praying for you.

The weather here has been picture perfect this week. It has been in the mid 70's F for highs. It has been about 12 degrees above our normal but is supposed to get down into the 50'sF for highs and low 40's for lows this week-end and next week. I actually saw a few cloudless sulphur butterflies as well as a buckeye and a smaller gold butterfly with a darker band today. They most likely won't be around for too many more days.

Still raining. Off and on it's been pouring. I've been running errands all day and at times had a hard time seeing. Even when it was getting dark and was finally dark I could barely see the roads. Just one of those days. It's pretty chilly too and not gonna warm up much anytime soon. Des Moines has a chance of snow tonight and Omaha is currently getting a mix.

I went to a local artist co-op tonight and had a heck of a time getting there. The road, which was mud and some gravel was really slick so I was sliding all over the place. Then I get there, had some stuff to buy and they tell me they don't have a card machine this year. AAARRGH!!! LOL. I told them my mom will be there tomorrow to get the stuff I wanted. lol. She tried to use my nephew to get out of it but I told her to take him with her. hehehehe. Then when I was leaving I decided to back into this muddy spot to turn around. It was a hard mud, not the soft mud, and I ended up getting the back end stuck a bit. Stuck it in 4 wheel drive and got out with no trouble. Gotta love the 4 wheel!! LOL

A cheery picture.

Thumbnail by pepper23
(Zone 7a)

Pepper, it looks like the leaf is talking to the flower. LOL

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I think peppers rain is going to be our snow tomorrow.
High was only 40º today. Very little wind.

Cleaned out the shed so the tractor can be parked inside. It is our snow removal machine, so needs to be dry.

Tore down some of the old greenhouse. Will get started on the new one soon.

Blew the water out of all the outside plumbing today, also. We have water piped down in the garden. About a ¼ mile all together. Also to 3 greenhouses, the chicken house & the veggie barn.

Got the chicken house finished so now they have more room.

No plans for tomorrow, have to wait & see what the weather brings.

Bernie

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

50° with a high of 48°.
Rain showers this morning with overcast skies during the afternoon hours. Winds SSW at 15 to 25 mph. Temperatures will slowly fall through the day, with readings dropping into the 30s in most areas by late afternoon. Brisk southwest to west winds will make it feel even colder. Chance of rain 80%.
Sunrise: 6:51 am. Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 1 min
Still Dyson Dark

Sally Sun, I'm kicking myself for forgetting to add you when I finish reading everyone's posts. You are in my thoughts and prayers every day!! I'm glad the port is in without too much pain. You have a few days to relax now. I'm so glad your Son lives where he does. It's such a big help. ((((HUGS))))

Marsue, welcome back!

Pepper, it is too soon to be sliding all over the place!! A big hooray for 4 wheel drive and your ability to get yourself out!! Booo on no card machine! Awww, for some reason that picture is adorable!

Celia, yes, in a tiny little voice! Too cute!

Bernie, just rain for us, but yes, it looks like snow for the North and West! Yep, we blew out the hoses with the air compressor and put them away for another year. You have a lot more on your plate tho! It's time to get out and take pictures!

I got my rain overnight, but I doubt it was too much. It's nice right now, but I hear the wind gusting at times.

Today I think we'll have creamed chicken over biscuits for dinner with my spinach from the freezer. I have leftover canned ''Tomato Bisque'' soup to go with it. A lot of healthy colors :o)

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

I fear that most of the midwestern rain will go by to the north of us, but hope we can get a bit tomorrow morning.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Covered in snow this morning. About 2" of real wet stuff. Trees are hanging low, some broke off already.
A good day to hide in the corner. LOL!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Bernie, do you have a fire going?
It's cooler here--in the 50's for a high today and we had some rain early, early this morning but it has all moved out to the east of us. Kind of a dreary day, weather-wise, but certainly no snow here!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We have electric heat. Thermostats are set at 70º, so nice & warm all the time.
Best thing we ever did! No chance of house blowing up, no fuel smell. Heating cost is way down from when we had fuel oil & we have an extra 440 Sq FT since we built on.

Snow has let up & is melting slowly. A couple branches are broke, but otherwise nothing seriously wrong.

I heard about your snow after I got home. I don't want snow just yet. Want to enjoy what little fall we've had. It's been more like summer with changing leaves.

Cold, windy, partly sunny today. Chance of frost tonight.

Blushing Knockout before I stuck her in a shady corner for the winter. I always stick potted plants that I need to overwinter outside in a protected corner to help them make it thru winter ok.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hello Everyone!!!!!!!

I heard about your snow on the Weather Channel! It sure looks pretty in pictures!
I hope everyone is OK, and that your plants are OK!

We had snow last year (near Houston, TX) plus one week that did not get above freezing!. I am praying for a warm winter this year! I did buy some wind curtains from Walmart to put up on my patio to help protect my Tropicals, just in case.
They probably won't go up until Dec. 1st.

Hi Pepper! I agree with you.......NO SNOW! That's why I left Northern, Indiana, forty miles from Chicago at the age of 9, many years ago!!!!!!!!!!! I know that you will get snow eventually, but maybe it'll be a light year for you also.

We've been enjoying 75 to 80 deg. weather off and on until this week. It is cooler today. We were in need of rain which we got this past week. I was very thankful that I did not have to water.

Jeanne

Hi guys! I'm still here, among the living!LOL I'm feeling much better, but still weak...so there's another resting day for me. DH wants to make a BBQ today before the veggie diet before Christmas starts (although we're eating veggies only on Wednesdays and Fridays). I have to make a caramel cream for dessert. We bought some strawberry ice-cream, the one I like, but I couldn't eat any of it, so DH almost finished it...arrrrghhh!
Sally, chicken soup sounds yummy! I promissed to show you the Merry cemetery in Sapanta, Romania.

http://www.romanianmonasteries.org/maramures/sapanta

Bernie, wonderful about the electric heat!
Mau, glad you're with us!
Sallysun, so wonderful you can stay at your DS place! I hope you two will get along well. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Jeanne, welcome! Glad you had some rain so you don't have to water.
Pepper, I have a few roses just like yours Knockout.

I have to go out a look for the doggies, they aren't here...maybe ot for hunting!LOL The other day Gavrila had a rabbit...I'll spare you of the details!
Last night I talked to DD and Nicholas. I took this picture of the monitor to show you how we're talking and seeing each other.

Adina
Adina

Still warm here

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

33* and I left a box of calla lilies in the garage. I wasn't going to dig them, but did after all. I'll have to check them and sack them up. My bad :o(

Sally Sun, we didn't get enough rain. Where is the rainy, grey, gloomy November? Are you ready for the move today? I hope it doesn't wear you out! Prayers for a new beginning tomorrow!

Bernie, I agree with hiding in the corner :o) Hope it's next to a register! It's almost as cheap to use electricity here too. Funny how the are so close in price now. I can't belive you had broken branches. I'm still getting a few deadfall on the ground.

Pepper, I can't believe you can overwinter in a pot! She is still pretty!

Welcome Texasgal177/Jeanne! Always nice to have another weather reporter! I've never heard of wind curtains. They sound neat :o)

Adina, I didn't know you were so wiped out. Yes, plenty of rest! Smiling over the veggie diet. I have ''big salad'' fixings in the fridge and we ended up eating the creamed chicken on biscuits. But I did have spinach! I have a guy who won't leave the ice cream alone too. Solution? I get my own box. He has to stay out of it. I savor, he doesn't :o)

The Merry Cemetery is wonderful! How amazing to have the cross carved with your life on it, then write your own saying! I'm glad he has an apprentice to carry on. This is an art that should not be lost.

That's a nice size view to enjoy Nicholas and Andreea. Does he smile and talk when he sees you?

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Welcome to Texas Gal. Always room for one more around here! :o))

Pepper: I like your blushing knock-out! All seven of my knock-outs are red but they are in the ground and not in pots. I need to trim them back some as they have all gotten quite large.
Adina: hope you feel much better very soon! Enjoy the barbecue! It's nice to be able to talk to our friends and family via the internet and see them, too! Nicholas is as cute as ever! The Merry Cemetery is amazing--such wonderful crosses/headstones! That's really nice about putting the poems about the person's life on the crosses.
BP: hope the calla lilies survived the cold in the garage! I think calla lilies are just gorgeous and I keep telling myself that I am going to get some of them. Maybe next spring.

Should be a lovely day today. 60F for a high with light and variable winds. Sunny, too. :o))

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Welcome Texasgal!
I share your love of Tropicals.....
If you get down near Pearland before Christmas stop in and see our buddy Santa Don at the Pro Bass Shop!

Adina I love the theme behind that cemetery.
So much Joy of a Life lived.
In appearance it reminds me of the one Kiska posted in Alaska.
Joyful Colors.

Well the weather has finally turned here.
Cooler and in the low/mid 50's all week.
In fact we're finally back to the Normal Averages: High 54° Low 36°
Bit of rain spit thru last night.
More scheduled for Tues/Weds.
Robyn has the yard pretty well buttoned up for the Winter.
We still have a few Dahlia and Oxalis bulbs to dig and cure but....

We'll be hanging the panels next weekend on Sue's GH.
Vent window is in and the door ready to hang.
They stained the framing we already had up to match the logs.
Came out well.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here's the ventilation window.
We weren't allowed to drill into the concrete wall so we had to pressure fit everything to the left.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Jeanne, welcome!
We don't worry about plants here. Everything perennial is Zone 4 or lower, so can take whatever is dished out. We love frozen ground & good cold, below zero, temperatures.
Freezing does wonders for the soil. Bugs & insects of all kinds die off every winter & have to get here from some other place the next summer. They blow in on south winds from areas like Texas where it don't freeze.

I stopped at the local watering hole last night. Some people lost whole trees to the heavy snow. Roads were a mess yet. Lots of slush that made driving a bit tricky.
Twin Cities area had 60,000 people without electricity. Around here our power company does a great job of keeping trees away from lines. A company was through here last week trimming trees & brush.

Vikings & Bears game is on at noon, so that will be today's action. Got to rest now & then.

Temperature must be around 34º. Cold but snow is melting slowly.

Bernie

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Bernie, you are correct about the cold killing out the bugs. I don't like cold weather but it would be nice to have a good, bug-killing snow for a change because we have more than our share of the pesky critters--and weeds, too! Sorry to hear about all those folks without power!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.