November Weather Winter looms!

(Zone 7a)

So much to catch up on!!! Eeeeeek!!! And a new member!!! Welcome, Jeanne. Shove over, everyone.

Cold here today. 40º and beginning to rain. Snow expected but we don't knoiw how much or when.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I love snow but since fall this year has been so warm I wanted a chance to enjoy fall before winter hits. lol. Almost ready for snow now though!! lol

Warmer today with temps in the 50s and sunny til late afternoon. Then clouds rolled in and temps dropped about 10 degrees. Worked outside cleaning up my zinnas and coneflowers for the winter. Planted a few lilies and another allium.

Blueberry bush's fall color. Gotta get another bush next year for fruit. This one isn't self fertile like tag claimed. Oh well, no biggie. :~)

Thumbnail by pepper23
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone! Thanks for the comments about the Merry cemetery, it's one of our most visited places in Romania.
SallyBP, thanks for caring, I'm feeling much better today after so much rest. Nicholas is so cute and laughs all the time, but he isn't so much aware of me being on the other side of the webcam. He is more attentive when he hears me laugh because I have a "colored" laugh!LOL But he is aware of the camera and looks right at it!
Mau, thank you too for caring! It really worked staying still for a few days and just taking the pills. I must say I ate a pound of honey and same amount of lemons these days!LOL
Celia, that's a lovely sky!
Ric, good work, looks great! You're right, I remember about Kiska posting about the cemetery.

It's a wonderful time here, 71F again and no wind. I watered the mums and pansies.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Hi Everyone!!! I've been gone all weekend, plus a couple days, how did that happen? Got busy I guess

We dropped 20* between Friday and Saturday and now the bedroom where the computer is gets way too cold so I just say no, I might end up with frost bite LOL

We have electric heat too, I don't really notice a difference from my gas furnace I had in CA.

Hi Jeanne!! Welcome!!!

Wow Ric! That looks nice!

Adina glad your feeling better! Sometimes we just need to rest. What did we ever do without all of this technology we have now?

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

DG is featuring an article by Kelli. The article was orginally written in May, 2009, but they are featuring it again. Here's the link:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2408/

glad you are back with us, Crissy! :o))

Pretty warm today. Highs in the high 50s. Cracked open my back window a bit to let fresh cool air in on the way home. I can turn off the heater in my truck but you would still swear it's on sometimes. lol

Salvia and I think the red one is salvia too. The purple salvia was supposed to be an annual but the whole clump came back this year. I like it so I was happy.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Pretty salvia, pepper!

It's raining this morning but should move on out later this afternoon. We'll be up in the mid-50's for a high today. Check out this link to the earthquakes we have had in north central Ark. lately. Some folks are saying that it is due to all the drilling by the gas companies over the last couple of years. The "experts" say that has nothing to do with it.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Maps/US10/32.42.-95.-85_eqs.php

Some of my flowers have made it past the recent frosts we have had although most of them have finally succumbed to the colder temps.
Even the Cloudless Sulphur butterflies stayed around for a while after the frost.

Thumbnail by marsue
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

31* the fog is lifting and the sun is trying to come out!

Marsue, I didn't have Callas, but the tubers/corms are large! I did get them trimmed and brought in. I think they are OK! I've used the smaller one's that I knew wouldn't bloom yet, as just an accent for a shady path. I have white blooms, and one called Cameo.

Ric, I just love that GH!

Bernie,, the bugs dying is the only reason I want cold weather too. We just haven't had a lot of really below zero temps to kill the worst. I can't believe how damaging the snow was! I'm sure glad it was ok at your place!

Celia, laughing. I started singing ''There were twenty in the bed and Celia said, "shove over, shove over!" Ok, I shoved over! Wow, pretty cloud!

Pepper, we are working outside too. I'm loving the 50's right now. Can we ever have enough blueberries?

Adina, I'll bet Nicholas does know your laugh! You must be buzzing like a bee now with all that honey :o) Such pretty Mum colors!

Chrissy, we missed you. We're just used to people being busy and not being here now. I was so happy to get my new computer in my kitchen. DH got the room you described. When we had dial-up and one old computer I would sit on my "mouse" hand trying to warm it up to type. No more!!

Marsue, thanks for the Kelli article! That was interesting!

Pepper, I love it when we love our plants even if it wasn't what we expected!

Marsue, as I said before, I think earthquakes just happen on their own. He's the perfect yellow to show off the hot pink! (I love his freckles :o)

Yesterday was great! We hung a few more Christmas lights and I hung clothes. The house got caught up and I made Swiss steak. I have more meals in the fridge at this time! We just rotate till the leftovers are gone :o) Today we'll finish the big salads and creamed chicken. Tomorrow, we eat Swiss steak!

Good Morning Everyone!!

Everyone!! They had it on 60 minutes last Sunday and another show that the drilling IS causing the earthquakes, it's called Fracking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fracking

Kelli, loved your article! Very beautiful pictures of the cactuses too!
Ric, Celia congratulations for the winning pictures in the contest! I had one too!
SallyBP, you're already hanging Christmas lights! Your meals sound yummy!
Mau, so many earthquakes...grrr! I hate earthquakes! We've had several big ones and just the thought of one earthquake makes me shiver! I wish they would let alone all that digging! Are those lobelia?So pretty!
Crissy, thanks for caring!Stay warm!

Not so warm today, a bit chilly in the morning, but also unusually warm for November.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 7a)

??? I won???

Crissy, I've heard that word for so many times in the Battlestar Gallactica show and it didn't mean drilling!LOL

Not a first or second, but you were among the winners with one of your sunsets.
Check the link :

http://davesgarden.com/contest/2010-photography-contest

(Zone 7a)

I immediately went there and found it. Thanks for the heads-up! Woo hoo!!! Out of all those beautiful shots... wow.

LOL Adina! Apparently it does here. I'm going to go look at the winners!!

Crissy, I was beginning to wonder where does that word come from!ROTFLOL
Ric has so many great winning pictures, 2 only on Macro category!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Adina: ROFLOL!
thanks Crissy, for the definition but I'm still laughing over Adina's remark! It seems that the earthquake experts are wrong! (and I am still giggling over Adina's remark!)

Congrats, Ric and Celia! You should have told us you had entries--I would have voted for both of your entries but as it is I didn't vote at all.

(Zone 7a)

I was going to and forgot!!! LOL

ROFLOL!!!!! That's because the earthquake experts are in California where there's dirt instead of rock and clay, and small explosions like that just move the dirt around and don't cause earthquakes. I think the experts

Still in the 50s today but tomorrow we will only be in the low 40s with rain and a chance of a few snowflakes here and there. Winter is starting to arrive!!

Red Shift coreopstis bloom earlier this fall.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
The geologic term used to be frac'ing.
Now after BG it's fracking..... and drilling works I guess.... ;-)

On the photo contest.
Congrats to Celia and Adina. GREAT shots!
I deliberately didn't mention the shots I'd put in.
Better test that way.
PS I've already sold the second place I got in Butterflies.......

Ric

I put a couple pictures in but didn't have time to do more. Took too long to load. Congrats on all those who did enter and those who placed.

Congrats on selling a picture Ric!!!

(Zone 7a)

I wanna sell mine! LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Looks like the rain is over.
42° (Wind Chill 37°)

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

37°
Mostly cloudy. High near 45°. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Sunrise: 6:56 am
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 10 min
Still Dyson Dark

Chrissy, thanks for the info on Fracking. I should have known. It's not a good thing.

Adnina, your Mums are happy! LOL over ''Battlestar Galactica's'' use of the word!

Congratulations to the winners!! We have such talented people! Now I need time to look at each category.

Marsue, I giggled a few times after also, over Adina!

Pepper, I love red Shift!

Ric, I'm glad they added the K. It deserves to be a stronger word. I agree with not telling. It should be fair. A sale too! Fantastic!

Chicken broth and chicken fat, or smalt, from two stewing hens.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

15 jars of canned broth

Thumbnail by billyporter
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Chicken soup!(--among other things) Yum!
Adina, I think that you had asked about the bush in my photo of the yellow butterfly. It is a Hot Lips salvia--not a lobelia. The butterflies and bees just love it!

today's forecast:

Today: Sunny skies during the morning giving way to clouds and a few showers late. High 67F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
Tonight: A few showers this evening with mostly clear conditions overnight. Low near 40F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

From last week: one single bloom left on the "Whirling Butterflies" guara.

Thumbnail by marsue

Sally, never heard of canned broth! How are you keeping it? Or where, I should have asked?
Mau, thanks for the correction, I think I got that wrong from somewhere else. Glad I made you giggle! I had such funn too! Love that last bloom too.
Ric, thanks! Where did you sell the picture? Great job! Congrats!

It's been chilly today and cloudy, winter can't be far! I have a new picture from Nicholas...the Santa hat was too small for him!LOL

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Actually sold the picture not long after I posted it on Flickr.
It was to a periodical specializing in pollinating insects.
That makes 6 shots sold this year.
Flickr is a good place to showcase.

Very Cool 50° today.
Felt more like 40°.

Looks like mid 60's by the weekend.

Mau that's one of our favs!

Adina Saint Nicholas looks GREAT!

Man that's a lot of broth BP.
We just freeze it. Haven't canned since Mom passed.

Cold, wet and only gonna get colder tonight. Snow is falling in some areas but not here. We are pretty close to the freezing point now that the sun is gone. The rain will freeze overnight so roads will be slick in the morning. Highs tomorrow only in the low 40s if we're lucky.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

31°
Through 10am: Partly to mostly sunny with temperatures steady in the low 30s.
Today: Partly cloudy. High 42°. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Chance of Precip: 10%
Sunrise: 6:57 am
Dyson Dark

Marsue, it's too cold here for Gaura, but I do love them!

Adina, it's just on the pantry shelf. I try to keep all the jars in the dark. When they are in the bookcases, they are covered with a nice pillowcase or long towel as a curtain.

He's a wonderful Santa's Helper!

Ric, that is fantastic on selling the pictures!! Smiling. I can things because I don't have room in the freezer. And it keeps for years, even tho I will make soup, rice and noodle casseroles with it.

Pepper, none of your weather is reaching me. Isn't it funy how thru all these freezes there are still blooms hanging on?

Good Morning!

Right now it's 49* and cloudy, supposed to clear throughout the day and high is supposed to be 55*. We got rain and a thunderstorm yesterday evening that we weren't supposed to get, apparently the Low came further south than they thought it was going to, woo hooo!!!

Adina he is just the cutest!!!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It's so cold here now:

Joplin Regional Airport
Lat: 37.18 Lon: -94.5 Elev: 982
Last Update on Nov 18, 7:53 am CST

Fog/Mist

32 °F
(0 °C)
Humidity: 92 %
Wind Speed: N 7 MPH
Barometer: 30.41" (1030.2 mb)
Dewpoint: 30 °F (-1 °C)
Wind Chill: 26 °F (-3 °C)
Visibility: 5.00 mi.

Has raining last night...

This message was edited Nov 18, 2010 8:37 AM

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

It's cold here today too, Rusty. 37°F and cloudy, real feel 35°F, humidity 80%. Forecast high today is 46°F. It's supposed to start warming up tomorrow and be pleasant this weekend - mid 60's.

We got some rain late in the afternoon yesterday. I didn't have my rain gauge out so I'm not sure how much, but it only rained lightly for a little while. :-( We need rain.

Adina - Nicholas is sooo cute!

Kwanjin - Congrats!

Marsue - 'Whirling Butterflies' is one of my favorite plants. Mine is all gone now. Nice to see you still have one bloom left. The 'Hot Lips' Salvia is pretty, too.

Pepper - Love that 'Red Shift' coreopsis! How were the roads this morning?

Billy - Chicken soup - yum! Tonight would be a good night for soup. I have Polish sausage and cabbage planned, but I might just have to make a hamburger stew instead and make the sausage and cabbage tomorrow night.

(Zone 7a)

Waving at everyone!!! I gotta run because the guys are on their way to install new attic insulation. Yea!!!

57º and windy today.

YEA Celia! Right on!!

It's reached 50 now and it's still cloudy, and windy too bbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's for tomorrow so cold early:

Friday: Sunny, with a high near 62. Wind chill values as low as 29 early. South wind between 10 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph

I gonna to stay inside until it warm this weekend for sure....

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

45° (Wind Chill 43°)

We had some rain as I left for work.
It followed me in.
Sun broke out about 2PM.
Looks like the Alberta Clipper has sunk pretty far south.

We should be back near 60 by week's end.
Not a good Thanksgiving forecast but it's still far away forecast-wise.

Still pretty chilly today but I think we came close to 50. I could be wrong though. lol. Sunny today with a slight breeze.

Roads were fine this morning. By the time I left for work everything was melted and you would have never known that it froze overnight.

Well, my truck is broke down again today. I'm going to Iowa this weekend and sent my truck to the shop to have the oil changed and just checked out to make sure it was up to speed and ready to go. My mechanic got in there and found that both wheel bearings and both hubs were bad, fuel filter was bad, and that the back spring on the driver's side (the one that is arc shaped) is broke also. The spring can be replaced down the road. I just can't do any kind of hauling with my truck til I get it fixed.

The hubs both got replaced last year when they went bad but it turns out that the seal on them wasn't any good or something like that and it allowed water and mud to get in and mess up my wheel bearings, which was also replaced on the driver's side either last year or the year before. So my mechanic has my truck til he get's it all fixed by tomorrow night. He said it was just a matter of time before they broke on me and really messed up my truck.

The funny thing is my youngest brother's truck is also there at the shop waiting to be worked on. lol. He has motor problems on his truck. Blown head gasket and a broken cylinder. We specialize in broken trucks in this family!! LOL!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

High today must have been all of 33º. Water wasn't freezing, but south wind was giving a good wind chill.

Put in the ground posts for our hoophouse today.

Then went & installed a mirror frame. Now this bathroom is complete. Birch wood with a special lacquer stain & finish. Doesn't show in the picture how beautiful it really is.
People love it & that is the main thing.
She picked out the design & color at a bathroom sales place. We improved on the whole thing. She couldn't find a mirror she liked, so bought an ugly thing & we made a frame to match the vanity.

Going to stay in & be warm tonight!
Bernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.